PDA

View Full Version : Waterford To Be Wound Up

The Lilywhites
11/06/2013, 1:36 AM
Heard from a reliable source tonight that Waterford United could be wound up in the courts some time later this week for failure to pay monies owed to Stephen Henderson. He won a breach of contract and defamation case against them last year and since then Waterford have failed to pay what the court judged he was owed.

His solicitors have apparently been trying to contact the club and their solicitors for the last six or seven months to work out a payment plan etc but nobody has been willing to even return phone calls or letters, never mind start paying him. Instead, they have just ignored the court order so further legal action seems to be the only choice left.

They also owe Gary Dunphy 12k from his case against them a few weeks back and on top of that another former member of their management team has a case coming up against them next week.

Doesn't look good for them unfortunately. Any Waterford fans able to shed any more light on this?

ATFC-1887
11/06/2013, 1:41 AM
Hoping this doesnt happen. Would make what is already a poor league even worse. Out of curiosity what would happen with the games they already played if this did happen?

L.T.F.C.
11/06/2013, 4:02 AM
The whole lot expunged I think. Goals scored included.

osarusan
11/06/2013, 5:58 AM
I remember that before the start of the season that WUFC fans were saying it would be difficult for them to remain viable in the first division if it kept the same structure (which it did), but hopefully this is just a groundless rumour.

This would be the last thing anybody needs.

pineapple stu
11/06/2013, 6:33 AM
Heard a similar rumour when we played in Dundalk a couple of weeks ago. Dunno is it the same rumour, but hope it doesn't come to it obviously. If we lose Salthill Devon as well, as there's hardly any point keeping two divisions.

Longfordian
11/06/2013, 8:41 AM
I doubt they'll be wound up straight away but they're going to have to try and come up with some way of paying Henderson. Were they not talking of appealing that decision? I take it that didn't happen?

Louth4sam
11/06/2013, 9:27 AM
Hard to feel sorry for them after the antics in the close season. Could be Dundalk in this situation

White Horse
11/06/2013, 9:30 AM
If Waterford go bust, that is two large towns (they're not cities), Galway and Waterford is a mess.

I hope it doesn't come to that but I keep getting the impression that Waterford is being managed poorly as a club. Their playoff antics last season were embarrassing. Now they think they can ignore court ordered compensation payments.

redobit
11/06/2013, 9:37 AM
John Delaneys home town club. Too embarrassing for him to let Waterford wind up? Or would he care. Wouldn't like to see another club (RSC looked decent on MNS for our LC game too).

adamd164
11/06/2013, 9:40 AM
I hope it doesn't come to that but I keep getting the impression that Waterford is being managed poorly as a club.
If they were run properly, they should really be getting promoted this year.. Or at least battling it out...

Spudulika
11/06/2013, 9:42 AM
John Delaneys home town club. Too embarrassing for him to let Waterford wind up? Or would he care. Wouldn't like to see another club (RSC looked decent on MNS for our LC game too).

What do you suggest he do? Lamp in half a million for them to blow it? In too many countries the head of the federation/association has very distinct bias or worse, he's actively profiting from capping players or supporting his own club (especially in Eastern Europe), JD has to do only what he's done for other clubs in the country - full in the blank here.

Disappointed with the news on Waterford, I'm too young to have known their "glory days" but they've always been a decent group to deal with. The play off was annoying with their behaviour, though as mentioned before, there but for the grace of god.

osarusan
11/06/2013, 9:56 AM
What do you suggest he do?
Get involved in developing a situation where a league club isn't going belly up every year or so.

Longfordian
11/06/2013, 10:00 AM
If they were run properly, they should really be getting promoted this year.. Or at least battling it out...

Heard Paul O'Brien is owed a significant amount of wages too though as ever that could be just a rumour.

cornflakes
11/06/2013, 10:10 AM
Heard Paul O'Brien is owed a significant amount of wages too though as ever that could be just a rumour.

I heard he was working for free, so wouldn't be owed anything

redobit
11/06/2013, 10:13 AM
What do you suggest he do? Lamp in half a million for them to blow it? In too many countries the head of the federation/association has very distinct bias or worse, he's actively profiting from capping players or supporting his own club (especially in Eastern Europe), JD has to do only what he's done for other clubs in the country - full in the blank here.

What are you asking me for, all I did was ask would it be an embarrassment for the guy who is head of football in this country to have his local team go under. Never mentioned money either. If you want to have a rant on Eastern Europe fair enough, but how you got to that based on what I wrote I don't know. On the bit you say about 'JD has to do only what he's done for other clubs in the country', well that could go either way and maybe depends on the club! - Drogheda were helped out by FAI when they bought United Park, while it would seem other clubs got less support (Monaghan folding while JD is drunk in a square in Poland!)

MariborKev
11/06/2013, 10:22 AM
Folks,

Do people just ignore the rules around here for the craic these days. I would have thought the case the Wicklow side would have kept it fresh in people's minds

http://foot.ie/faq.php?faq=rules

And for those too lazy to click the link

"Rumours & Allegations
There's too many "I heards" and "someone saids" on football sites, which is often damaging to the clubs and people involved. There's plenty of news sites out there, plenty of people in authority willing to be quoted, plenty of mobile phones with cameras, plenty of sites where pictures and videos can be posted. So there's no excuse for posting rumour and innuendo any more, and every opportunity to make the news yourself. Take a photo or a video, ask someone for a quote, or post a scan or a link to a news article. Alternatively, keep your mouth shut on Foot.ie, or you'll be out on your ear."

Thread locked, unless OP can produce evidence.