PDA

View Full Version : Spain V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 12 June 2013 - Friendly - Yankee Stadium

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

DeLorean
08/06/2013, 7:13 PM
Seriously depleted but at least that will make the selection a bit more interesting. Hopefully we'll get a good look at Hendrick alongside McCarthy maybe, options pretty slim in midfield.

R (http://www.thescore.ie/ireland-squad-spain-friendly-us-withdrawals-942591-Jun2013/)epublic hit by withdrawals

FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil 2013 - Spanish squad

Spain coach Vicente Del Bosque has named a provisional 26 man squad for next month's Confederations Cup in Brazil. Casillas, Fernando Torres, Beñat, Soldado and Champions League winner Javi Martínez return to the fold, but there was no place for Sevilla striker Negredo, nor for Barcelona's Puyol, who is still recovering from injury. Isco and De Gea drop back to the under 21 squad, who will be defending their European title in Israel at round about the same time. Del Bosque will have to leave out three players to make up the final group of 23 before the team travels to the USA for warm-up fixtures against Haiti and Eire. (27.05.13)

PS Xabi Alonso pulled out with an injury, and Beñat and Javi García were the other two players who were left out of the final squad.

Provisional squad:
Keepers: Víctor Valdés (Barcelona), Reina (Liverpool), Casillas (Real Madrid);
Defenders: Monreal (Arsenal), Jordi Alba and Piqué (Barcelona), Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Arbeloa, Raúl Albiol and Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid);
Midfielders: Cazorla (Arsenal), Busquets, Fàbregas, Iniesta and Xavi (Barcelona), Javi Martínez (Bayern Munich), Beñat (Betis), David Silva and Javi García (Manchester City), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Jesús Navas (Sevilla);
Forwards: David Villa and Pedro (Barcelona), Fernando Torres and Mata (Chelsea), Soldado (Valencia).

DeLorean
08/06/2013, 7:22 PM
Can't edit the thread title, of course it should be June instead of May!

Crosby87
08/06/2013, 8:11 PM
I may throw something at Pedro depending on my vodka intake.

IsMiseSean
08/06/2013, 8:37 PM
If I'm not mistaking this is what Trap has left in the squad:

GK - Forde, Randolph, McCarey

Def - St. Ledger, O'Dea, Coleman, R. Keogh, Delaney, Kelly, McShane

Mid - McCarthy, McClean, A. Keogh, Hendrick, Meyler, Quinn

Att - Keane, Cox, Sammon

DeLorean
08/06/2013, 9:03 PM
The remaining squad is in the link, just click the 'R'

IsMiseSean
08/06/2013, 9:27 PM
Didn't notice the 'R'

DeLorean
08/06/2013, 9:37 PM
Yeah google chrome wouldn't allow me to link the full sentence, although I'm sure it would have if I knew what I was doing.

geysir
08/06/2013, 10:34 PM
One letter links?
The Fly would appreciate such brevity.

Crosby87
08/06/2013, 10:49 PM
I hope to see Meyler and shake his hand.

Stuttgart88
08/06/2013, 11:18 PM
GK - Forde, Randolph, McCarey

Def - St. Ledger, O'Dea, Coleman, R. Keogh, Delaney, Kelly, McShane

Mid - McCarthy, McClean, A. Keogh, Hendrick, Meyler, Quinn

Att - Keane, Cox, Sammon
We might get something from Spain with that line up.

osarusan
09/06/2013, 1:05 AM
We might get something from Spain with that line up.

Don't be so sure: (make sure to turn on subtitles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtIb-HK7NcA

boysingreen
09/06/2013, 9:34 AM
First time seeing Ireland play in the flesh :good:

DeLorean
09/06/2013, 1:57 PM
Think I'd go with this from what's available. The 'Cox on the wing' thing, for once, might make a bit of sense. I'd also be tempted to play Richard Keogh alongside Sledge and move Delaney to left back instead of Kelly.

-----------------Forde----------------

Coleman, St. Ledger, Delaney, Kelly

-----------McCarthy, Meyler---------

-------Cox----Hendrick----McClean--

------------------Keane---------------

Grafter
09/06/2013, 2:14 PM
Why not push Coleman further upfield with this game as he's our best right wing option IMO.

My preferred team for this game would be:

Forde
Kelly St Ledger O' Dea Delaney

Coleman McCarthy Hendrick McClean
Keane Sammon

Crosby87
09/06/2013, 3:50 PM
Im surprised the galaxy are still letting keane stay away for this.

Grafter
09/06/2013, 3:55 PM
Im surprised the galaxy are still letting keane stay away for this.
Think it was only first two games that clashed with their schedule.... let me know what David Meyler's hand feels to shake on Tuesday Crosby87.... I'm thinking a firm yet warm hand- enjoy the game:D

Crosby87
09/06/2013, 5:21 PM
My brother is working the game so it might happen. Hopefully he will be assigned to them and not spain.
Really i want a picture with James Mac. But i hate asking people for pictures....

SolitudeRed
09/06/2013, 5:51 PM
Well be interesting to see what sort of team Trap picks for this given the lack of options up front he will probably start Sammon with Keane, I thought Trap might have called more players than McCarey into the squad with all the withdrawals.

Stuttgart88
09/06/2013, 6:29 PM
I expect many have been on holiday. Most players' seasons ended 3 or more weeks ago. This really is a pointless game from most angles. I believe ticket prices are staggeringly high. Spain played in Florida recently. 2-1 win over Haiti?

Crosby87
09/06/2013, 7:00 PM
The prices aren't that bad. there are cheap seats. what i was wondeing is why Ireland would bother with this? After the flight and the food and the hotels, etc, how much money do they possibly make off something like this? I mean its on TV at 1 am in Ireland on a weeknight.

IsMiseSean
09/06/2013, 8:09 PM
Of the players left in the squad only Meyler, O'Dea & Randolph haven't played yet. Surely they'll see some action on Tuesday.

The Fly
10/06/2013, 12:10 AM
One letter links?
The Fly would appreciate such brevity.

http://z5.ifrm.com/5902/57/0/e14482//e14482.gif

CraftyToePoke
10/06/2013, 1:45 AM
Trap on how it will be McCarthy's chance to come of age against the worlds best and how a man with the quality of Sammon languishing in the Championship baffles him.

Quality is quality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22836598

Metrostars
10/06/2013, 1:52 AM
The prices aren't that bad. there are cheap seats. what i was wondeing is why Ireland would bother with this? After the flight and the food and the hotels, etc, how much money do they possibly make off something like this? I mean its on TV at 1 am in Ireland on a weeknight.

I'm sure the FAI will get some $$$ for this. Picked up 2 tickets last week on Groupon $69 each.

ArdeeBhoy
10/06/2013, 8:23 AM
Apparently tickets being sold online for less than face value. Ridiculous prices for a pretty pointless game.

ArdeeBhoy
10/06/2013, 8:47 AM
A good news story of sorts.
http://thescore.thejournal.ie/the-irish-football-team-visit-hurricane-sandy-victims-in-new-york-943977-Jun2013/?utm_source=facebook_short

Grafter
10/06/2013, 11:21 AM
Some clips from our trip stateside in '92..... 21 years ago!!!!!!!! Old yet?:)
Italy game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khFh3IbtHQA

Grafter
10/06/2013, 11:21 AM
US Cup 92

USA 3 - Ire 1

[video=youtube;tmGONudG1ak]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmGONudG1a

bwagner
10/06/2013, 1:00 PM
Guys i dont have setanta or sky sports, I just have a basic Sky tv package - how can I watch this game??

DannyInvincible
10/06/2013, 1:01 PM
Online stream?

Keep an eye on these sites for links:

http://www.footballstreaming.info/streams/todays-links/index.html
http://www.lshunter.net/
http://www.wiziwig.tv/competition.php?part=sports&discipline=football

bwagner
10/06/2013, 1:31 PM
Thanks for that Danny

paul_oshea
10/06/2013, 1:50 PM
will someone be uploading it here after? Is it on Sky?

DeLorean
10/06/2013, 2:23 PM
It's only on Setanta Ireland and a pay per view sports channel in England, Premier Sports, that I have seen. Sky Channel 428 for those based in England.

IsMiseSean
10/06/2013, 3:23 PM
Just looked at my Sky guide. The game is listed at 12.30am on both Setanta Ireland(423) & Setanta Sports1(424) but says it's freeview for Setanta Sports1.

Stuttgart88
10/06/2013, 4:58 PM
Any way of getting it if you're a Virgin Media subscriber in UK?

Charlie Darwin
10/06/2013, 7:48 PM
Giovanni Trapattoni has just named his starting XI v Spain tomorrow night at 1AM (Irish time) on Setanta Ireland:

Forde, Forde, McShane, St Ledger, O’Dea, Kelly, Hendrick, McCarthy, Coleman, Keogh, Keane, Sammon

I am assuming Forde is only playing once, but I can't in good conscious edit the FAI's release. I thought Keane was gone back to Galaxy though? Coleman on the wing is interesting, definitely preferable to Cox.

Closed Account
10/06/2013, 8:07 PM
Forde

McShane

St Ledger
O'Dea
Kelly

Coleman
Hendrick
McCarthy
Keogh

Keane
Sammon

Considering what's on the bench outfield wise:

Keogh, Delaney
McClean, Meyler, Quinn
Cox

I'm disappointed with Andy Keogh there but it's a minor gripe. We won't have posession anyway so who cares.

pineapple stu
10/06/2013, 8:10 PM
Mon the Sammo!

Is Casillas starting for Spain? Would make Sammon the second UCD forward to play against Casillas at international level. Any takers for the other?

DannyInvincible
10/06/2013, 8:14 PM
Complete guess, but I'll go with Alan Cawley at under-age (under-17?) level?

Charlie Darwin
10/06/2013, 8:18 PM
I'm guessing it was somebody at underage level. Can't think of anyone who'd fit the age profile though.

Cuyahoga
10/06/2013, 8:18 PM
Forde

McShane
St Ledger
O'Dea
Kelly

Coleman
Hendrick
McCarthy
Keogh

Keane
Sammon

Considering what's on the bench outfield wise:

Keogh, Delaney
McClean, Meyler, Quinn
Cox

I'm disappointed with Andy Keogh there but it's a minor gripe. We won't have posession anyway so who cares.

I think Forde should move over a bit to his left between the two centre backs or he will leave an open goal for the Spanish.

peadar1987
10/06/2013, 8:20 PM
Mon the Sammo!

Is Casillas starting for Spain? Would make Sammon the second UCD forward to play against Casillas at international level. Any takers for the other?

Socrátes?!

Charlie Darwin
10/06/2013, 8:22 PM
Socrátes?!
Jason Sherlock. It's always Jason Sherlock.

pineapple stu
10/06/2013, 10:22 PM
Glen Fitzpatrick. Ireland u-17 level years ago; a game played in South Africa for some reason.

He didn't score.

Razors left peg
10/06/2013, 10:33 PM
What the hell is his obsession with picking less than average strikers as wingers especially when he has McClean on the bench. There is zero logical reason for it, we have seen over and over again that Keogh is not capable of operating as a winger and yet he persists in picking him there. If we are short on numbers he should call up someone like Grealish from Villa or someone from the under 21s who actually plays in that postion and might learn something by just being in the squad. It would be too much for them to start against Spain but there would at least be a long term benefit.

Its so frustrating to see a Premiership winger being left on the bench while a striker of League One standard starts out of position.

Charlie Darwin
10/06/2013, 10:36 PM
Glen Fitzpatrick. Ireland u-17 level years ago; a game played in South Africa for some reason.

He didn't score.
Well I am just stunned.

What the hell is his obsession with picking less than average strikers as wingers especially when he has McClean on the bench. There is zero logical reason for it, we have seen over and over again that Keogh is not capable of operating as a winger and yet he persists in picking him there. If we are short on numbers he should call up someone like Grealish from Villa or someone from the under 21s who actually plays in that postion and might learn something by just being in the squad. It would be too much for them to start against Spain but there would at least be a long term benefit.

Its so frustrating to see a Premiership winger being left on the bench while a striker of League One standard starts out of position.
I'm puzzled by his lack of faith in McClean. Granted, he's had a poor season but I don't think his defence and work rate have ever been in question, just his intelligence and ability to keep defenders guessing. Perhaps it is part of a long-game to get McClean to cop himself on and realise he only has limited time as a professional and needs to maximise it.

I have a crazy feeling that Sammon will open his international account tomorrow.

Razors left peg
10/06/2013, 10:45 PM
He has much more ability to keep defenders guessing than Keogh. Completely baffles me.

Charlie Darwin
10/06/2013, 10:55 PM
He has much more ability to keep defenders guessing than Keogh. Completely baffles me.
Well they play different roles. While I thought Keogh was poor in his 45 minutes against Georgia, you could see the tactical reason he was in the team, to get into the box and help Long whenever McGeady got in a good position, which I think was necessary with Keane absent. He doesn't offer anything as a winger and can't cross the ball, but he's quick, disciplined and hard-working. I'd still play McClean every time, but what I wish is that McClean could combine his touchline-hugging role with an instinct to get in the box and score goals. He's scored a few headers for Sunderland so it's hardly like he lacks the ability.

Crosby87
11/06/2013, 12:48 AM
I hope he plays the 3 who haven't gotten in yet, as was pointed out earlier.

shakermaker1982
11/06/2013, 7:11 AM
I subscribe to premier sports for the GAA so will be able to watch this! Thanks to DeLorean for pointing this out!!

Not sure if I should stay up...I think I'll record it & then avoid the result till I get back from work.