PDA

View Full Version : LOI Series 16 & 13 - Premier & 1st Div fixtures.

bullit
06/06/2013, 8:01 PM
Saturday

Premier

St.Pats Ath. V LimerickFC 5pm

Sligo Rovers V BohemianFC 7.45pm

UCD V Bray Wanderers 7.45pm

Shelbourne V Derry City 8pm

First

Mervue Utd V Cobh Ramblers 4.30pm

Waterford Utd V Salthill Devon 7pm

Longford Town V Wexford Youths 7.30pm

Finn Harps V Athlone Town 7.45pm
---------------------------------------------------

Sunday

Premier

Cork City V Shamrock Rovers 3.30pm

Monday

Premier

Drogheda United V DundalkFC 8PM Live on Setanta Sports

Best odds betting basket-

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/other/ireland/premier-league

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/other/ireland/first-division

nigel-harps1954
09/06/2013, 12:51 PM
This thread is absolutely bursting with talk on last nights matches.

Athlone are a dirty team, but Roddy has them well drilled. They were hungry and wanted the match more.

Their number 14, Scullion I think. I hope he gets his leg broken. I don't wish these sort of things on players, but after last night, he is an absolute disgrace of a footballer and a human being. Severely hurt Ciaran Coll in a lunging tackle that was never needed. Went over to him on the ground, laughed in his face, and mouthed at him (words not to be repeated sort of stuff). Referee, Rhona Daly, did nothing.

Not trying to sound sexist, but Rhona Daly also is a disgrace of a referee and should not be allowed near a football pitch. The worst refereeing performance I've seen in Finn Park, since her own performance last season. Gave Athlone a corner for their second goal which only she knows how it was a corner.

Harps fans walking out of the ground scratching their heads.

Credit to Athlone though, they're a very hard working team, and chased every ball down in the searing heat. It's more like the Athlone team we expected at the start of the season. Harps would really need to buck their ideas up though if we're to gain promotion.

nigel-harps1954
09/06/2013, 12:58 PM
Also, Mickey O'Connor quit as Athlone asst manager on the pitch after the game last night. Had a fight with Roddy coming off the pitch and then left.

Longfordian
09/06/2013, 1:01 PM
Was always a pretty combustible pairing! Excellent first half from ourselves, got the job done. Eased off second half but never looked in any real danger. Davy O'Sullivan is a joy to watch these days. Pace, control, finishing he has the lot.

Dalymountrower
09/06/2013, 1:57 PM
Good point for Bohs last night, Sligo's mid-season slump continues.

Shels being cut adrift now at the bottom.Play off place could be any one of five clubs( including Cork and Limerick).I reckon it could be close enough for goal difference to decide.
Title there for Pats, though theres a lack of belief /confidence they can win it, particularly among their own fans,(just over 1,000 of them in Inchicore last night.)

Ezeikial
09/06/2013, 4:17 PM
Good point for Bohs last night, Sligo's mid-season slump continues.

Big point for Bohs irrespective of Sligo's recent poor form

Shels being cut adrift now at the bottom.Play off place could be any one of five clubs( including Cork and Limerick).I reckon it could be close enough for goal difference to decide.

You include Limerick but not Drogheda in that list - even though they are both on the same points?

Title there for Pats, though theres a lack of belief /confidence they can win it, particularly among their own fans (just over 1,000 of them in Inchicore last night.)

Pats would have to be strong favourites at this point, but it is way too early to be declaring them champions

Ezeikial
09/06/2013, 4:19 PM
Their number 14, Scullion I think. I hope he gets his leg broken. I don't wish these sort of things on players,

Is there a difference between hopes and wishes?

nigel-harps1954
09/06/2013, 4:31 PM
Is there a difference between hopes and wishes?

Certainly.

nigel-harps1954
09/06/2013, 4:32 PM
Shamrock Rovers had two goalkeepers on the bench today against Cork. Both Conor Winn and Barry Murphy on the bench with Richard Brush starting.

Finished Cork 1-2 Rovers.

This has probably been the quietest weekend I can ever remember for coverage of LOI.

bullit
09/06/2013, 4:38 PM
It's the weather dude.

Cuyahoga
09/06/2013, 4:44 PM
RTE I radio Sport are focussed on Hurling only. Any other sport on barely gets a mention. On weekends where an International is on a Friday the Saturday and Sunday games just get lost amongst the other more popular sports.

Dalymountrower
09/06/2013, 4:55 PM
[QUOTE=Ezeikial;1691298]

You include Limerick but not Drogheda in that list - even though they are both on the same points?
/QUOTE]
Drogs have a game in hand and are capab le of out muscling every other team in the league.

White Horse
09/06/2013, 8:19 PM
[QUOTE=Ezeikial;1691298]

/QUOTE]
Drogs have a game in hand and are capab le of out muscling every other team in the league.

Potential means ****, points mean everything.

They are down there.

pineapple stu
09/06/2013, 9:39 PM
Only Sligo and Derry have scored more than us really (Drogheda and Sligo have only scored two more; let's count that as roughly the same)

If only we had a defence... :(

ATFC-1887
09/06/2013, 10:59 PM
Nigel you are an idiot. Micky did not quit last night he was gone long before the game. You always have something bad to say about us. Face it we are a better side than Harps. Going on last night ye havent a hope of getting top 3

Ash
09/06/2013, 11:14 PM
Also, Mickey O'Connor quit as Athlone asst manager on the pitch after the game last night. Had a fight with Roddy coming off the pitch and then left.

Mickey wasn't there

NeverFeltBetter
09/06/2013, 11:16 PM
Well who was Collins arguing with then? A coach? A physio?

nigel-harps1954
09/06/2013, 11:59 PM
Nigel you are an idiot. Micky did not quit last night he was gone long before the game. You always have something bad to say about us. Face it we are a better side than Harps. Going on last night ye havent a hope of getting top 3

Well that's very informative of you, if not completely ignorant.

I've great time for Athlone in fact. I lived there for 2 years and went to games there when I couldn't get home to Harps matches, and always enjoyed myself.

I'm only going on what I was told last night. Roddy was arguing with someone there, and I was told that O'Connor had quit and walked away.

You could have phrased your response a little nicer.

Also, a larf on the comment about being better. Harps were awful last night, and made Athlone look good. On form, we'd comfortably beat ye.

ATFC-1887
10/06/2013, 12:13 AM
Comfortably? Haha Thats laughable! we have beating ye twice this season now! We made ye look awful. Ye could not handle our attack, at all. But i suppose youll just say it was down to your bad defence (which was equal to us in least goals conceded. When we beat ye in ATS i seen what you had said. You talk complete utter rubbish. Harps are an average side. Ye won't get top 3 and you can quote me on that come the end of the season!

nigel-harps1954
10/06/2013, 12:39 AM
Ye won't get top 3 and you can quote me on that come the end of the season!

I look forward to it.

SwanVsDalton
10/06/2013, 9:58 AM
No wonder Shels have only six goals this season - they missed two absolute howlers in the first half on Saturday. Dean Kelly blasting over with the goal gaping and Sean Brennan poking the ball at Gerard Doherty, when he was already on his backside, from about eight yards out.

That latter chance was Arsenal style ridiculous as well - Brennan and Leech (I think) playing a one-two when both had opportunities to shoot. Waltzed through a stunned-into-paralysis Derry defence who could only watch as Doherty fell over and Brennan conspired to miss.

In the first half Shels much the better side. Derry dominated in the second, got on top of the ball and got on top in general even if they didn't create as much. Michael Duffy recovered from a tough start to score a tremendous goal, lovely finish. Derry eased through from there, although still needed McBride to clear off the line late on. Our defence still needs a serious tightening up.

If Shels had a finisher, they'd be ok. Did well in the first half, they sorely missed Bayly after he went off injured.

Charlie Darwin
10/06/2013, 4:00 PM
Wasn't in Cork but by all accounts Rovers are slowly beginning to turn dominance in matches into goals, although it wouldn't be Rovers without giving up a soft goal to make for a nervy end. Looking forward to Limerick on Friday now.

Does anybody know what the story with Sligo is?

bullit
10/06/2013, 4:50 PM
Managers under the 'P' after this weekends results;

Tommy Dunne - Cork City

Ian Barraclough - Sligo R.

poster
10/06/2013, 5:02 PM

Bad luck with injuries and no decent back up midfielders.

bullit
10/06/2013, 9:37 PM
We're grinding out some results here.Tonights victory should hopefuly guarantee us a bumper crowd v Pats on Friday.
Any thoughts on our disallowed 1st half goal ?

Nah Nah Nah Nah
10/06/2013, 9:42 PM
Bad luck with injuries and no decent back up midfielders.

And not putting away chances either

luiz
10/06/2013, 9:42 PM
Shamrock Rovers had two goalkeepers on the bench today against Cork. Both Conor Winn and Barry Murphy on the bench with Richard Brush starting..

Sorry if I am asking something stupid or that everybody else knows but what the heck happened to Mark Quigley? Came as the biggest signing but if I heard the team squads announced in Cork well he wasn't even in the bench! Don't know if he is injured or what, but the only Rovers' matches I saw him starting were for Setanta Cup.

Cuyahoga
10/06/2013, 9:47 PM
Sorry if I am asking something stupid or that everybody else knows but what the heck happened to Mark Quigley? Came as the biggest signing but if I heard the team squads announced in Cork well he wasn't even in the bench! Don't know if he is injured or what, but the only Rovers' matches I saw him starting were for Setanta Cup.
Had a hamstring injury early in the season out for a good while, came back and hamstring went again and still out.

passinginterest
10/06/2013, 9:48 PM
We're grinding out some results here.Tonights victory should hopefuly guarantee us a bumper crowd v Pats on Friday.

According to Setanta was disallowed for going out of play. Looked like it was impossible to have been out and a great finish, never should have been disallowed.
Decent enough game to watch, if not a bit frantic and lacking in composure at times from both sides. Dundalk in particular have some lovely footballers but most often they were far too rushed getting the ball forward, neither side passed it at the back at all.

Charlie Darwin
10/06/2013, 9:49 PM
I was impressed with Dundalk today, although I wasn't able to pay full attention to the match due to other commitments. I thought they looked a lot better than they have in Tallaght this season, and it would have been very harsh if Drogs had snatched a point.

He keeps getting injured. It's not even that he's been rushed back, he's being eased in and he's not exerting himself but he keeps straining muscles. I would be really surprised if it was his conditioning with Phillie McMahon on board, so I think it's just rotten luck.

dong
10/06/2013, 9:56 PM
Just on that. We also had a strength and conditioning coach brought on board and we seem to be getting more injuries than I can recall in recent times.
In particular hamstring problems seem to be rampant.

Cuyahoga
10/06/2013, 10:03 PM
I reckon these Strength and Conditioning coaches do more harm than good.

White Horse
10/06/2013, 10:09 PM
He keeps getting injured. It's not even that he's been rushed back, he's being eased in and he's not exerting himself but he keeps straining muscles. I would be really surprised if it was his conditioning with Phillie McMahon on board, so I think it's just rotten luck.

The league needs Quigley back playing, far too good to be out injured so often.

Charlie Darwin
10/06/2013, 10:13 PM
Just on that. We also had a strength and conditioning coach brought on board and we seem to be getting more injuries than I can recall in recent times.
In particular hamstring problems seem to be rampant.
There could be an inverse correlation there as increased conditioning entices players and coaches to push harder, which produces more injuries. This is certainly something that's new to Rovers and it seems Sligo too, but it is a positive development. You'd expect that to even itself out as the players become more used to better conditioning. You can see the same effect among players who migrate from the LOI to England - Paul Corry and Stephen McLaughlin both picked up lengthy injuries after moving last year. If they'd been brought up through the English system, you'd expect them to be a little more resilient.

sheao
10/06/2013, 10:18 PM
Wasn't in Cork but by all accounts Rovers are slowly beginning to turn dominance in matches into goals, although it wouldn't be Rovers without giving up a soft goal to make for a nervy end. Looking forward to Limerick on Friday now.

City really did'nt help their cause. Players seemed to play with a lack of passion and they were not putting a 100% effort into the game. But this is not the first game we've been like this .
Very worrying times for Cork City .

White Horse
10/06/2013, 10:26 PM
Hoban slots the ball between the advancing goalkeeper and the post.

Linesman flags for a goal kick.

http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/w540/Library/SF49/759708.jpg

White Horse
11/06/2013, 7:38 AM
Pat Hoban celebrating the winning goal against Drogheda.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/979956_10151656274843944_1111508406_o.jpg

dong
11/06/2013, 8:29 AM
Hoban slots the ball between the advancing goalkeeper and the post.

Linesman flags for a goal kick.

http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/w540/Library/SF49/759708.jpg

Yet again LoI officials shame themselves on live television.

bullit
11/06/2013, 4:09 PM
Their doing a replay of Drogs V Dundalk over on Setanta Sports right now.The stuff from the commentators is hugely embarrassing to LOI.They don't know the players names for a start and Felix Healy is rumbling on about player fitness !people getting red in the face and such twaddle.

Honestly,this is worse than anything RTE can throw up.

Ezeikial
12/06/2013, 6:11 PM
Ref Alan Kelly and his assistants made some big calls in the Drogheda V Dundalk match on Monday night. Arguably they got most of them wrong:

1) Disallowed 1st half goal by Pat Hoban
2) Red card (2nd yellow) for John Mountney
3) Yellow card (no red) for Alan McNally foul denying clear goal-scoring opportunity to Pat Hoban
4) Penalty claim for Drogheda against Chris Shields

Dundalk FanCam sheds some light, especially on the disallowed goal:
http://orielupdates.com/2013/06/12/video-highlights-the-louth-derby/

bullit
14/06/2013, 3:35 AM
That video just rips apart the argument that we have good reffos and linos in the LOI.
Thats the 1st time i've seen that and that is disgraceful offcicating !
I hope someone sent the video to MNS.

White Horse
14/06/2013, 7:08 AM
Shocking decision on the first goal.

Also, Mountney's trailing leg was clearly taken, definite penalty not simulation. Why would he go down, he was through on goal. What is it with refs and "simulation" this year?

Señor Willy
14/06/2013, 7:25 AM
Shocking decision on the first goal.

Also, Mountney's trailing leg was clearly taken, definite penalty not simulation. Why would he go down, he was through on goal. What is it with refs and "simulation" this year?

Watch the replay of the "definite penalty" and you'll see why he got a second yellow. Horrendous dive.

Señor Willy
14/06/2013, 7:26 AM
Watch the replay of the "definite penalty" and you'll see why he got a second yellow. Horrendous dive.

Watch it on RTE!

Señor Willy
14/06/2013, 7:29 AM
It's an early morming! I meant Setanta obviously.

Spudulika
14/06/2013, 7:46 AM
There could be an inverse correlation there as increased conditioning entices players and coaches to push harder, which produces more injuries. This is certainly something that's new to Rovers and it seems Sligo too, but it is a positive development. You'd expect that to even itself out as the players become more used to better conditioning. You can see the same effect among players who migrate from the LOI to England - Paul Corry and Stephen McLaughlin both picked up lengthy injuries after moving last year. If they'd been brought up through the English system, you'd expect them to be a little more resilient.

I know it's just repeating a worn out line, but the main difficulty is recovery. Professionals can do whatever they need to and can be pushed, but part-timers have to get out of bed the next day and go to work or school, or sit at home and wait for training. Pro's can go in for massages etc etc so all the best physical work is nothing without a proper nutrition plan and the time to recover/be assisted. Although this season there does seem to be alot of players out injured.