PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Faroe Islands - Friday, 7th June 2013 - World Cup 14 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

DeLorean
08/06/2013, 3:26 PM
Sweden at home is a massive game now. Sweden don't host Austria until October, so I think it's imperative we try to win both.

I'd take four points in a heartbeat. The three really need to come from the home match against Sweden I suspect, if we are to achieve that. The fixtures have suddenly become nicely set up. A home win against the Swedes coupled with an Austria defeat in Berlin should set us up nicely.

I thought Dunphy was going to put his sad little protege Sadlier on his lap last night. Ronnie Whelan's extremely hard to take, I was actually changing to Sky Sports only I didn't have it in HD!

Stuttgart88
08/06/2013, 3:57 PM
What were they saying?

Charlie Darwin
08/06/2013, 4:00 PM
I thought it was the best analysis they've done in a long time. The presence of Hoolahan and McCarthy over the past few games have forced them to dig deeper than just complaining about who isn't there.

Still, it was funny to see them pick out in their pre-match analysis some 40 yard cross-field passes as an example of Hoolahan's best play, then complaining at half time that other players were attempting 40 yard cross-field passes, before then featuring more 40 yard cross-field passes at the end of the game to show just how good Hoolahan was yesterday.

Stuttgart88
08/06/2013, 4:05 PM
Do you really think he'd have played ahead of Cox, Keogh or Walters if he was fit?I wouldn't have bet on it, no.

But if he was fit I do think he'd have figured against Georgia and if he had played well against Georgia, and impressed in training, I think he'd have had a chance to play against the Faroes. He impressed against Oman and got picked for the Faroes away game so it wouldn't have been totally out of character for Trap.

I suppose the question is whether Trap just doesn't fancy any of our natural RHM options or whether he is ideologically wedded to Cox / Keogh / Walters wide right for reasons of solidity. In his early years he used to regularly pick both Duff and McGeady so I expect Brady isn't totally up against it.

Charlie Darwin
08/06/2013, 4:11 PM
Well he more or less said yesterday that McGeady can't play on the right and neither can McClean, so that more or less only leaves Brady, who he withdrew at half time in the Faroes so he may not fancy him either.

DeLorean
08/06/2013, 4:34 PM
What were they saying?

I agree with CD that some of analysis was okay, basically the clips of Hoolahan and overhead view of Forde's kick-outs and the bizarre positioning of the midfield and inactivity of our full backs.

It wasn't so much the content of what Whelan and Sadlier were saying, it was the constant negativity. To be fair, most of us have the same gripes but recognise the positives as well. An end of season game against nothing opposition, on the back of two other matches, was always unlikely to produce a vintage display. Giles, to be fair, was someway balanced and his main gripe was the lack of urgency, which he backed up with relevant footage.

Dunphy alluded to a Trapattoni press conference when he deliberately insulted Hoolahan. It was a stretch even by Dunphy standards and Maloney reluctantly pulled him on it a little bit. Dunphy just replied with the usual 'that's my opinion Darragh' kind of thing. There was a constant focus on how the likes of Coleman and Wilson have been fueled with fear by Trap, compared to the freedom they have at their clubs... yes, one of them being samba football noted Stoke City! Zero balance or explanation as to how Coleman's symptoms of fear were absent in Stockholm and London.

I suppose the Sadlier for Brady substitution was always going to result in a one sided view of things.

Drumcondra 69er
08/06/2013, 4:47 PM
Latest blog with thoughts on last night's game.....

http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/2013/06/as-keane-as-mustard.html

geysir
08/06/2013, 4:58 PM
Yet again we had a (rare) misplaced pass from Wes, this time to McGeady, which George attributed to McGeady not anticipating it or being in the wrong place.
Wes must be RTE's 'made man'.

The hoofball was certainly primitive, it's not as if we play it well or even have a beanpole up front. Still I enjoyed some of what I regard as the holy trinity of our game, goals, a crafty midfielder and wizardry on the wing.

Charlie Darwin
08/06/2013, 5:01 PM
I had the laugh when everybody was lauding Hoolahan for his pass to McGeady that led to the first goal which was slightly - but luckily not crucially - overhit, causing McGeady to stretch and briefly check his run.

shakermaker1982
08/06/2013, 5:26 PM
Can we not just get McCarthy to do the Whelan role i.e. defensive player of the 2 CM pairing & then Hoolahan can start? Not ideal because it's not his best position but I do think we should try & fit him in somewhere because he can actually pass a ball forwards. I think Keano likes playing with him as well because he's finally got somebody on the same wavelength as him.

RM is a problem. Cox looks lost & Walters isn't much better when shunted out to the wing. Any decent right footed wingers coming through? Why not beg Duffer back? (Left footed but cuts inside). 4 games Duffer. That is all!

DeLorean
08/06/2013, 5:34 PM
Rest assured McCarthy will be given the Whelan role. The only problem is that Whelan will also be given the Whelan role.

Charlie Darwin
08/06/2013, 5:36 PM
Trap has clearly stated that whelan will always play if fit. Which raises the question of whether we want Hoolahan or McCarthy alongside him.

Bungle
08/06/2013, 7:25 PM
That is a concern for me. The team is calling out for the type of midfielder that Wes is. Wes and McCarthy have to be accommodated in the same team. If they are, I really think we can get 4 points at least in September.

My line up for Sweden:
Forde
Coleman O'Shea Dunne (St Ledger if Dunney not fit) Wilson
McGeady Hoolahan McCarthy McClean
Keane Long (Walters)

I would start with Shane Long. However, I have great respect for Walters and he could be an option for us, depending on how we want to play. My observation of the Swedes are that they are solid and like they are good in the air (traditional Swedish qualities). However, I think the guile of Keane and Long might be more what we need.

I'd have the same line up for the Austria game, but another option would be to crowd the midfield with 3 in the centre. I'd drop Robbie and have either Walters or Long up front. I'd bring in either Whelan or Green. Hoolahan would play in an advanced midfield role. It might be better to start with Walters and Long to come on near the end if the Austrians are getting tired.

Spudulika
09/06/2013, 10:24 AM
Watched the match on Friday night on a Russian language broadcast, the commentators were surprisingly good about the team, mentioning the fact that while none of the players were Irish-based, many had come from the Irish "leagues" and were not with important clubs in England or Scotland, except.....Aiden. No analysis before during or after the match, but they compared it to Russia's struggles to break down Andorra some years back. So this morning I watched the rte post match, and after 5minutes turned it off. Richie the moan has always made me reach for uppers, Dunphy is just no longer relevant or interesting, while Giles seems to have lost the will to live. I cannot believe that they are allowed on the screen to tell lies over and over, it's like watching a FG/Lab event.

geysir
09/06/2013, 10:58 AM
Dunphy was temporarily thrown off his perch by Sadlier who talked first and fired all his broadsides in a few sentences. Dunphy was all of a sudden out-negated by Sadlier. But the old codger Dunphy wasn't going to let an upstart like Sadlier steal his thunder, he dug deep to launch diatribe after diatribe to recover his position as the RTE 'mockster'.

Spudulika
09/06/2013, 12:18 PM
I almost broke down in tears when Richie the whinge was pulled up by Daragh "But Germany only beat them 3-nil", response - "Forget the scoreline, Robbie deserves all the praise/plaudits" only to be followed by - "this is an opportunity to improve on goal difference." Then Dunphy the clown comes in with Wes was brilliant against Georgia (neatly forgetting the 1st half of that match) - and that it was "outrageous" that he has been omitted so far. It's not funny any more. Especially when Wes has been outstanding for Norwich in the Premier League for a very long time.

Drumcondra 69er
09/06/2013, 12:40 PM
I almost broke down in tears when Richie the whinge was pulled up by Daragh "But Germany only beat them 3-nil", response - "Forget the scoreline, Robbie deserves all the praise/plaudits" only to be followed by - "this is an opportunity to improve on goal difference." Then Dunphy the clown comes in with Wes was brilliant against Georgia (neatly forgetting the 1st half of that match) - and that it was "outrageous" that he has been omitted so far. It's not funny any more. Especially when Wes has been outstanding for Norwich in the Premier League for a very long time.

I watched the analysis on the RTE player and I can't believe the amount of guff that Dunphy and co are spouting. Dunphy has just said that Hoolahan was capped by Mick McCarthy at left back in a 'mickey mouse' competition in the States years ago! Absolute horse****. He also said that Hoolahan has been playing in the Premier League or Championship for several years. He had 2 years at that level and only a single year in the Championship before then, he was a League One player 3 years back. He also said the he doesn't think the management team knew about Hoolahan 3 years ago despite the fact that Trap capped him against Columbia 5 years ago. It actually beggars belief.The less said about Sadlier the better, he's so desperate to mark himself out as the natural successor to Dunphy it's impossible to take anything he says seriously. By all means be critical but at least get the facts rights, it's embarrassingly amateurish.

Stuttgart88
09/06/2013, 2:24 PM
I bought the Sindo this morning and the begrudgery in Sadlier's faint praise of Keane was evident. He just came across as a sour bundle of joyless negativity. A hat trick against the Faroes isn't much to behold by itself, but if 5 goals in a week was that easy how come no other Irish player has ever come close? It's not as if we never played minnows before.

Sadlier's argument was that Keane contributes nothing but his (59) goals. I think that's harsh. Most of his career we have criticised him for looking for the ball too far from goal, showing he's always willing to help. Pele would have found it hard to contribute from Keane's position in the Euros.

Dion Fanning at least conceded that he is very much appreciated in the dressing room. As I said earlier, I think we're looking at a leader now, whereas a few years ago he was still a petulant twit at times (like Long is now) and less suited to the captaincy.

tricky_colour
09/06/2013, 3:03 PM

Just a point about goal difference, do goal against the bottom two clubs count??
Even then our 6-1? drubbing by Germans is going to take a lot of turning round.

Drumcondra 69er
09/06/2013, 3:20 PM
Just a point about goal difference, do goal against the bottom two clubs count??
Even then our 6-1? drubbing by Germans is going to take a lot of turning round.

Counts in the group standings. Results against the bottom team are discounted when calculating the worst 2nd place team.

peadar1987
09/06/2013, 5:12 PM
Could you imagine if Sadlier had turned into the player he looked like becoming for a while though? Keane and Sadlier up front for us for the last decade, that would have been amazing! On the other hand, Kevin Doyle was looking pretty good until about 18 months ago as well. We never know where Sadlier's career would have gone.

Drumcondra 69er
09/06/2013, 6:00 PM
Could you imagine if Sadlier had turned into the player he looked like becoming for a while though? Keane and Sadlier up front for us for the last decade, that would have been amazing! On the other hand, Kevin Doyle was looking pretty good until about 18 months ago as well. We never know where Sadlier's career would have gone.

Think you're giving Sadlier more credit than his ability warranted. I know he was only 24 when he retired but 30 odd goals in over 100 games in the lower leagues is no great shakes. Especially compared to what Keane had achieved by that age.

CraftyToePoke
09/06/2013, 6:08 PM
Think you're giving Sadlier more credit than his ability warranted. I know he was only 24 when he retired but 30 odd goals in over 100 games in the lower leagues is no great shakes. Especially compared to what Keane had achieved by that age.

Is that a little bit harsh ? I am no apologist for him, I do not like him or rate his punditry input and I think there are maybe a lot of sour grapes in him. But, wasn't he delivering a fine season for Millwall in the Championship with an international call up and the beginnings of talk of a decent transfer at the time of the injury?

Spudulika
09/06/2013, 6:23 PM
I saw Sadlier play (as did many posters on here), he was a decent player, nothing special and his "promise" has been hyped to the hilt by......himself! He has used his Indo columns to create a myth of Richie the Superman, he was no superstar.

It's amazing that RTE (Dunphy) damned AMcG as terrible in the match, yet I thought he did well and the IT rated him highly, as did anyone I spoke to from home today. Then again, he plays for some team nobody knows about, so he mustn't be any good!

Olé Olé
09/06/2013, 10:58 PM
I thought Aiden was very, very good. He made some cracking runs and did manage to put decent balls into the box. I think the frustration with Aiden, from a spectators perspective, is that he has built the anticipation in his play with his fleet-footed dribbling and the ability to know when to cross the ball, that when the delivery is far from perfect the frustration is enhanced.

tricky_colour
10/06/2013, 1:37 AM
Funny I have just download the match and watched the first few minutes and we see both side of Aiden,
early on he has beat his man (who slipped) but then his shot is so poor, almost 90 degrees off target.
Then a couple of minutes later he delivers in a great pass to Robbie for the opening goal!

I think one of the problems with having quick feet is that they are not often accurate feet when hitting the ball
especially with pace.

I think he woudl get better results overall if he concentrated on accuracy almost 100% ie passing rather than crossing
or shooting. I often see Wayne Rooney pass the ball into the back of the net when he could have put his foot through it.
I think there is a lesson to be learned there.

I think there is a similar thing going on in golf, it is often better to concentrate on hitting the ball well rather than hitting it hard
odd thing is it often seems to go further that way, and of course it goes in the right direction!

Aiden did play well, but he also put in a few poor crosses/shots, it does seem to be the case though that the slowest
of players, ie someone like Ian Harte are the best crossers/passers of the ball.

Mind you I just looked at some stats and Aiden came out better than Harte on crossers

http://www.futhead.com/fifa/players/190/

http://www.futhead.com/fifa/players/2856/

Bit puzzling some of that maybe.

Some rather witty comments have been left:-

calton: "Someone give him a plate!"

........UltimateFifaKnowledge: "Mate, he really knows how to finish his dinner ;)"

"TheColl96" is not a big fan of him!!

Also:- Speedy McGeady / Greedy McGeady and 85 Aggression. Typical Irishman

THe 'Hulk' they keep refering to is Givanildo Vieira de Souza the brazilian winger if like me you didn't know.

Maybe I should get that game myself!!!

ArdeeBhoy
10/06/2013, 7:33 AM
This was a par performance, nothing more.

Ironically those encountered watching on TV were far more scathing than those who dragged our asses down to the new Lansdowne.

The quality was no way near high enough to beat either Sweden or Austria IMO, partly because of Trapp's personnel choices/questionable tactics and partly because the players themselves don't seem currently to have sufficient ability or confidence to show they are good enough to do so.

PatJR
10/06/2013, 8:42 AM
Good Lord. Glad I watched this game out of Ireland as the absolute rubbish spouting from the RTE studio would have ruined the weekend. It's like this Dunphy & Sadlier have an agenda set for a long time and no matter what happened on the pitch they play to that. So Wilson played badly that's down to being crippled with fear by the manager, ignores the lack of fear he showed away to the Faroes where logically the manager would inject him with a double dose of fear before kick off. He just played poorly and possibly carrying a knock? They are also guilty of taking current performances of say Coleman, McCarthy, Long etc and back dating them 2 or 3 years to prove their point...it's an old tactic.

ArdeeBhoy
10/06/2013, 8:49 AM
Photos of the game.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.666884889994746.1073741830.486146671401903&type=3

And the official crowd, only 19k? More than that surely?

pineapple stu
10/06/2013, 9:25 AM
Very surprised at that; was thinking about 30k looking at the TV. Thought it was fuller than against Georgia, and looked a respectable crowd tbh.

ArdeeBhoy
10/06/2013, 11:40 AM
Acc. to Sat's Irish Times (hard copy), looks like you were pretty much right.
They give the crowd as 30, 805.

A certain august governing body involved in a VAT 'scam ? :rolleyes:
Surely not...

pineapple stu
10/06/2013, 12:43 PM
Where'd you get 19000 from? Saw it on wiki, but it's a round number, so hardly an official crowd if the Irish Times are being given 30805. Extratime going with 30805 too; they've posted on here to say their official crowd figures are supplied at the game; anything else will have "est" beside it.

ArdeeBhoy
10/06/2013, 1:55 PM
It was listed on the BBC as that...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22784565

pineapple stu
10/06/2013, 3:47 PM
Bizarre.

Can't see it being a scam as you suggest anyway! 30585 seems both official and roughly correct.

ArdeeBhoy
10/06/2013, 4:28 PM
Aye, strange discrepancy of nearly 12k.
Normally when crowds are understated, it's to avoid some form of tax...

DannyInvincible
10/06/2013, 5:18 PM
Wouldn't there be an official record of the number of tickets sold though? Not that that necessarily means that all ticket-holders turned up, but that wouldn't make a difference for taxing purposes surely...

ArdeeBhoy
10/06/2013, 7:07 PM
Danny,
That's far far too much like common sense...

DannyInvincible
10/06/2013, 7:50 PM
For anyone who missed it, RTÉ's post-match analysis is available to view here: http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/813/455315/

Where was Bill?

DannyInvincible
10/06/2013, 7:59 PM
Who on earth could Dunphy have been mistaking Hoolahan for when he claimed (at around 12:20) that Wes played for Ireland "a long time ago" at left-back under Mick McCarthy "in America in some Mickey Mouse tournament"? Bizarre. :confused:

Charlie Darwin
10/06/2013, 8:03 PM
Keith O'Neill? God knows. He'd clearly been on the beer all day.

tricky_colour
11/06/2013, 3:29 AM
Wouldn't there be an official record of the number of tickets sold though? Not that that necessarily means that all ticket-holders turned up, but that wouldn't make a difference for taxing purposes surely...

Officially all the banks were solvent until they were bust.

DannyInvincible
11/06/2013, 10:53 AM
Keith O'Neill? God knows. He'd clearly been on the beer all day.

Didn't he once sound out Keith Fahey as the solution to our problems at left-back?

Charlie Darwin
11/06/2013, 11:27 AM
Didn't he once sound out Keith Fahey as the solution to our problems at left-back?
I think that was Kevin Fahey.

back of the net
11/06/2013, 11:55 AM
It was listed on the BBC as that...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22784565

Sky Sports news were also quoting it as 19k on their saturday reports - was at both georgia and faroes games and cudnt believe it that were only 19K there as I thought there were at least 6/7k more in attendance than at the Georgia match

Ballymoreman
14/06/2013, 12:42 PM
Thought there was a lot of empty spaces at the Faroes game but did think it was interesting that they didnt announce the crowd figure on the night. (At least I dont think they did.)

DeLorean
29/08/2016, 12:32 PM
Bumping thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHxFU6GIxCE

DeLorean
13/09/2016, 8:37 AM
Closed thread.