PDA

View Full Version : RTE to screen another EL match live!

Slash/ED
02/10/2004, 8:14 PM
Again, a clear indication of the growing profile of the EL thanks to results in europe this season.

If anybody missed The Premiership on RTE, they mentioned that they will be showing next fridays match between Drogheda Untied and Shelbourne live starting at 7:15. Great news and fair play to RTE.

That means this seasons live matches so far are...Shelbourne V Split, Shelbourne V Deportivo, Deportivo V Shelbourne, Shelbourne V Lille, Lille V Shelbourne, Bohemians V Cork, Derry V Waterford, Longford V Drogheda, the FAI cup final and any potential replays, Drogheda V Shelbourne (All on RTE), Cork V Shelbourne (On TV3) and Pats V Rovers (Shown 'as live' on Setanta). Have I missed any?

Impressive, and it may not end there. Bohs and Shels play each other twice in a week, chances are one of the channels may be interested in showing at least one of the matches and as the season reaches the end there may be some more shown still. We all moan about the TV coverage and yes, there should be even more than that, but that's a decent total for this year and a sign of real progress for the league and results in Europe are mostly to thank for this. With Setanta to really come on board next season and the (at least) ten matches from the Sentata cup to be shown live, it looks like we're finally getting the TV coverage we've wanted for ages.

De Town
02/10/2004, 9:36 PM
That means this seasons live matches so far are...Shelbourne V Split, Shelbourne V Deportivo, Deportivo V Shelbourne, Shelbourne V Lille, Lille V Shelbourne, Bohemians V Cork, Derry V Waterford, Longford V Drogheda, the FAI cup final and any potential replays, Drogheda V Shelbourne (All on RTE), Cork V Shelbourne (On TV3) and Pats V Rovers (Shown 'as live' on Setanta). Have I missed any?

Yes but look at the amount of Shels matches shown :(, 7/12 and could have been more. I know a few of them were in Europe but it is still a bit of bias towards them. And they would have been shown again if they got further in Europe and if they got to the Semis/Final of the cup.

Slash/ED
02/10/2004, 9:48 PM
That's true, the same thing happend last year with Bohs getting the majority of the TV coverage. It's down to the interest the European runs have created for the league and it can only be a good thing really, so they're showing Shels and have shown Cork a couple of weeks ago.

De Town
02/10/2004, 9:55 PM
It's a bit unfair to the country teams like ourselves, Derry and Waherrrrrrfurrrrr who will only get shown if we get to the Semi's/Final of the cup or we're like Drogs this year and get shown against Shels because they are going well enough in the league. I know it's all down to European results but it is Dublin biased and esp. Shels this year :(

ShelsTim
03/10/2004, 12:07 AM
That's cause they're the better teams. You need strong country teams to progress alongside the big Dublin clubs and make it hard for a bias to be created around them.

And anyway, bar Shels, only Bohs have been shown live. Teams from France and Spain have been shown more times. As well as that, Shels and Bohs are the only dub teams in the top half of the premier and no dub team reached the semis of the cup. Things are changing in a lot of ways for the eL.

higgins
03/10/2004, 11:42 AM
you really need to relax a little DE TOWN :confused:

you have a bad case of something....

the dublin bias of RTE ???
where oh where does that come from?

its a bias towards successfull teams is what it is and if DE TOWN cant look after themselves then thats your problem!!

longford and shels played in the first rounds this year and there was no cameras,, longford went out and disgraced themselves and were dumped out shels got through and were shown a 5 times !

and as for your comment that they would have been shown had they got into the semis are you smoking something??? RTE show the seni finals every year regardless of who is in them? and of all the games this weekend what would you have picked?

talk about being bitter and twisted!!!

De Town
03/10/2004, 12:45 PM
you really need to relax a little DE TOWN :confused:

you have a bad case of something....

the dublin bias of RTE ???
where oh where does that come from?

its a bias towards successfull teams is what it is and if DE TOWN cant look after themselves then thats your problem!!

longford and shels played in the first rounds this year and there was no cameras,, longford went out and disgraced themselves and were dumped out shels got through and were shown a 5 times !

and as for your comment that they would have been shown had they got into the semis are you smoking something??? RTE show the seni finals every year regardless of who is in them? and of all the games this weekend what would you have picked?

talk about being bitter and twisted!!!

Jaysus, chill out man! I was just saying that no matter what, Dublin teams will be shown more than country teams, FACT! I know we didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory in the UEFA Cup, and Shels did very well in Europe, I was just trying to say that there was a tendancy to show more Dublin teams than country teams, bar maybe Cork. I would say that RTÉ thought about showing Shels -v- KR Rejavik or Bohs -v- Levadia more than what they did about showing Longford -v- Vaduz? :(

DolansWaistcoat
03/10/2004, 1:13 PM
Ya I am impressed with the amount of live games being shown on Irish Tv.I know a lot of it is down to european sucess but every game shown is a step forward for our league.I know a good few ppl who have no interset in the eircom league who tuned in to watch shels in europe and they thought the games were great and shels played very well.

Next friday will be a great game to show between the top two in the eircom leaugue and it's a pity I won't be able to watch it cause i'll be at the City game.

jofyisgod
03/10/2004, 1:51 PM
Next friday will be a great game to show between the top two in the eircom leaugue and it's a pity I won't be able to watch it cause i'll be at the City game.

You could video it? :D

It's great news, and it doesn't really matter who's playing as people are gonna see it and go and support their local side. Or at least that's the plan.
Fair fcuks to RTE, about time they acknowledged their own country's league.

eirebhoy
03/10/2004, 1:58 PM
Sorry if this was posted before:
http://www.medialive.ie/Television/august-rev2004.html

I assume it was the Depor match, it had the highest viewing figures on Network 2 after GAA with 242,000. The Premiership seems to be going downhill with just 132,000 viewers.

DolansWaistcoat
03/10/2004, 2:07 PM
[QUOTE=jofyisgod]You could video it? :D

:D
My crappy Dvd player doesn't record stuff from the tele. ;) :D

Slash/ED
03/10/2004, 2:22 PM
Jaysus, chill out man! I was just saying that no matter what, Dublin teams will be shown more than country teams, FACT! I know we didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory in the UEFA Cup, and Shels did very well in Europe, I was just trying to say that there was a tendancy to show more Dublin teams than country teams, bar maybe Cork. I would say that RTÉ thought about showing Shels -v- KR Rejavik or Bohs -v- Levadia more than what they did about showing Longford -v- Vaduz? :(

It's not Dublin bias it's simply that the top club at the moment happen to be from Dublin. If it was Longford in Shels position they'd have been shown just as much as Shels have this season. and all the coverage is good for the league.

thecorner
03/10/2004, 2:23 PM

are they opening the cross specailly for you to go in and watch nothing ;)

higgins
03/10/2004, 5:25 PM
I was just saying that no matter what, Dublin teams will be shown more than country teams, FACT!

Now can you tell the rest of the class where you pulled that FACT out of?

Shels are shown more then anyone this year as they are after playing 8 games in Europe and are 8 points clear with some games in hand with only a few weeks to go in the season and maybe just maybe there is a bigger market for watching shels now that a lot have seen the European games...

all what i say actually makes no sense as they are just showing the dublins teams !!

shels v drogheda
2 of the biggest dublin tems there eh???

you really do have a problem with rte or dublin or shels or something but id like you to tell me where you got the FACT from please?

harry crumb
03/10/2004, 5:48 PM
I think there is now too much Eircom League soccer on. I liked it better when we could moan about the lack of coverage.

ShelsTim
03/10/2004, 8:21 PM
Too ****ing right, I'm off to write an e-mail of complaint to RTE. It's a disgrace is what it is.

CollegeTillIDie
03/10/2004, 11:29 PM
Big swinging phallus !

Most of those games have been in the second half of the season.
Where were they in the first third to a half pray tell?
And why have there been no matches shown at the top end of the First Division ?

ye remember the First Division lads the one that the Irish Times forgets on a regular basis

A face
04/10/2004, 12:14 AM

A good point !! Should be some first division shown aswell. At least 1/4 of eL programming should be first div. !!

Ultan
04/10/2004, 7:38 AM
It looks like the $hels / Bohs game on Friday the 15th will be shown on RTÉ2 as well.

gspain
04/10/2004, 7:57 AM
Great to get any coverage - has been much better and in fairness when RTE show games they do it properly.

No real issues with the top teams being shown all the tijme - that's life happens in England spain etc etc

Hopefully next season we can have plenty of live coverage early in the season so as to entice fans from their armchairs. Great exposure now as the league reaches a climax however we would have benefitted more earlier in the season.

BTW see Lille went top of the French league at the weekend and Depor won at the Bernabeu against Real Madrid. Nice to see our of our teams competing at that level.

noby
04/10/2004, 9:19 AM

Uhm, Portugal & Greece?

Sadly the truth is, (even though we've spent plenty of the last 10 years in div.1), the Prem div. has to get priority

Slash/ED
04/10/2004, 11:38 AM
Most of those games have been in the second half of the season.

ye remember the First Division lads the one that the Irish Times forgets on a regular basis

Is it a rule that no matter how good things are going we have to have something to moan about?

patsh
04/10/2004, 11:47 AM
No matter what the reasoning behind it, RTE must be congratulated on this. They do make a proper hand of showing games, and they have put the so-called TV station that said it was going to show 18 games over two seasons to shame. As soon as the FAI take over the league, they should get rid of ITV 3 1/2 straight away, and only deal with proper TV stations.

Slash/ED
04/10/2004, 11:49 AM
Rumour has it, I'm not sure if this is true, but one of the upcoming Shels V Bohs matches will be on RTE 2 aswell. Thought this might happen. Again, well done RTE.

A face
04/10/2004, 12:02 PM
and only deal with proper TV stations.

I know what you're saying but they have hardly behaved like a proper TV station in recent years. Very very shoddy is the way i#d describe it to be honest.

Colm
04/10/2004, 12:20 PM
TV3 showed a game on the last day of the season last year and will probably do so again this year.
Hopefully the City v Bohs game will be a big and meaningful game for both clubs so that would be the obvious one for them to show.

patsh
04/10/2004, 12:46 PM
TV3 showed a game on the last day of the season last year and will probably do so again this year.
Hopefully the City v Bohs game will be a big and meaningful game for both clubs so that would be the obvious one for them to show.NO, NO, NO!
Keep the TV cameras as FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE from City games......:eek:

Pablo
04/10/2004, 4:18 PM
a shame the audience at home will have to watch a game at the worst premier division 'stadium'

perception is a big thing lads

Colm
04/10/2004, 4:45 PM
a shame the audience at home will have to watch a game at the worst premier division 'stadium'

perception is a big thing lads

Yeah, perception is reality or so they say!

I thought the Longford game looked terrible on TV yesterday and United Park will look even worse.
I think there are only 4 grounds which look good on TV.... Tolka, Turners Cross, Dalymount and surprisingly Inchicore.

Slash/ED
04/10/2004, 5:38 PM
I think there are only 4 grounds which look good on TV.... Tolka, Turners Cross, Dalymount and surprisingly Inchicore.

Yeah, Inchicore looks good because the camera faces onto the only decent part of the ground.

And you're right too, perception is a big team and unfortunately, a poor looking stadium on TV will only make the game itself look bad, no matter how good the game actually is. It's unfortunate but at least Drogheda have are planning to build up a new ground, aren't they?

pete
04/10/2004, 6:40 PM
I need something to complain about. ;)

Does RTE not realise the harm its doing by showing all these eL games? People gonna expect PEPL quality football on tv which we can't deliver!

Why all the live games? whats changed?

I notice even the homr Lille game got 178k for RTE2