PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Georgia - Sunday, 2nd June, 2013 - Friendly

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Stuttgart88
02/06/2013, 6:24 PM
I'll second that. And he's moody like you too.
I love you really.

Stuttgart88
02/06/2013, 6:24 PM
Nice play by Hendrick
That'll elevate him above Hoolahan in Trap's eyes so.

Crosby87
02/06/2013, 6:25 PM
I wonder if Shane Long has ever been MOTM at any level before today?

tricky_colour
02/06/2013, 6:27 PM
Yes we won 4-0 but it kind of feels like we lost 4-0!

tricky_colour
02/06/2013, 6:29 PM
I wonder if Shane Long has ever been MOTM at any level before today?

He had a MOTM sometime this season accord to the stats.
He is joint Irish record holder for MOTM this season, along side Walters, McCarthy, Hoolahan and Gibson all on 1.

Crosby87
02/06/2013, 6:32 PM
According to Wiki, Keane now finds himself in a 8 way tie for 22nd in all time Int'l goals with 55.
He is tied with:
Romario (Br)
Miura (Jap)
Koller (Czech)
Streich (E Germ)
Ruiz (Guatamala)
Eto'o (Cam)
Bum'Kun (S Kor) (Best name ever?) (Wrestling fan?)

Next up is a group at 56 that includes Batistuta

rebelmusic
02/06/2013, 6:39 PM
Isn't he at 56 now after the second goal?

Crosby87
02/06/2013, 6:40 PM
oh sh*t he scored another one? I was making hot dogs. Hold on.

tricky_colour
02/06/2013, 6:43 PM
That'll elevate him above Hoolahan in Trap's eyes so.

Maybe, he has contributed significantly again. He showed intelligence to win the ball and then used it well,
we don't tend to see too much of that in the Irish midfield.

Hoolahan also played well though but that is not his best position playing in a 442.

You can't really fault Hendrick on anything he has done so far, not that I can remember anyway
but we have only see what about 45 minutes of him? But that does include 2 assists IIRC.

Crosby87
02/06/2013, 6:44 PM
With his 56th Intl goal, Keane is now in a three way tie for 20th all time with:
Batistuta (Arg)
and
Pavon (Hond)
Next up on Friday will be
Imre Schlosser (Hung) at 59 and then
Didier Drogba (Other Irish Flag) at 60.

tricky_colour
02/06/2013, 6:50 PM
Robbie is the highest international goal scorer in the British Isles!!
Indeed if you exclude Germany the highest in western Europe.

Crosby87
02/06/2013, 6:53 PM
I wonder if the lads are going to blow off some steam and have a few drinks at Forbidden Fruit now with Bonnie Shells.

rebelmusic
02/06/2013, 6:53 PM
Hehe..

Anyway, here's my summary. I would have given Hoolahan MOTM, i actually though Long had a terrible game. He had 3 easy easy chances and fluffed them all.

Westwood - 5 - Was called into action once in the whole game and made a very bad decision.
McShane - 6 - Comfortable in defence but just had nothing to offer once he goes past the half way line
Keogh - 7 - Well taken goal, comfortable enough performance bar one horendous pass to McShane when under no pressure
Delaney - 7 - probably his best performance in an Irish shirt. Looked very comfortable, no particularly noticeable errors
Wilson - 6 - Okay performance. Comfortable in defence but what i like about him is he has ability going forward. Some lovely play in the final third. Needs to be less wasteful
Keogh - 3 - Worst i've ever seen him. Should never play on the wings again for Ireland. Trap needs to get over his Keogh love, he brings us nothing
Hoolahan - 8 - Oh how we've need someone like him. Did Whelans job better than Whelan and he controlled the game during the second half. Was annoyed he was taken off but i hope that means Trap plans to play him. Could have a really good partnership with Keane
McCarthy - 6 - Okay performance. Should always be a starter from now on
McClean - 7 - had a hand in both first goals. I think he's our best player to take set pieces or any delivery. Needs to stop trying to go past people because he's been found out. Should just run the channels instead
Long - 6 - If he had been clinical it would have been one of his best performances but he let himself down with poor finishing. Still our best option up front and his place shouldn't be in question anymore
Cox - 4 - Despite the goal which was a tap in, not very assured at all. He's willing loves to play for Ireland but i think he's little better than a journeyman striker. Should never be played on the wings unless there's no alternative

Subs:
Keane - 8 - What more could you want from him? Showed us why he's the captain, 2 well taken goals and linked well with Hoolahan and McClean before the subs came on
Hendrick - 6 - Assured enough, set up Robbie's second very well. Could develop into a strong enough MF, reminded me a bit of Matt Holland in his prime
Quinn - 5 - Not much on display, seemed positive enough but would need to see more of him
Sammon - 5 - Like a dog chasing a bone. To me he's the striker version of McShane. Can't doubt his commitment but has no footballing brain. Took the right option when setting up Keane's first
McGeady - 3 - terrible bar winning the ball back for Keane's first. Was just not there at all today
Dunne - 5 - Very little to do. Made a couple of silly passes but we know he's our best CB when in form

tricky_colour
02/06/2013, 7:03 PM
Following my recent betting success I am having a go on England Brazil finishing 1-1 are 6 of the 15 previous fixtures did
so the the 8-1 I am getting seems a good price, they shoudl be offering about 5/2 by my reckoning.

Yard of Pace
02/06/2013, 7:06 PM
An aside:
Keogh is a much better striker than Conor Sammon, imo. And probably Cox.

Why Trap persists with putting Keogh on the wing......it's insane really. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If we needed a goal I'd fancy Andy to get one over Sammon, all day long.

paul_oshea
02/06/2013, 7:08 PM
oh sh*t he scored another one? I was making hot dogs. Hold on.

There arent enough breaks so you must make your own halfway through the second half....;)

Stuttgart88
02/06/2013, 7:13 PM
Largely agree with rebel music but I don't think McClean deserves a 7 and McCarthy was better than a 6.

For all those who knock Keane he gave Long a lesson in finishing. The tap in showed great predatory judgment. He attacked the gap and at the right time. Credit to Sammon for the pass.

Keogh and Cox were passengers and there is no logic playing Keogh in that role. It virtually negated the sending off. McGeady was a big improvement by being mediocre, albeit with a bit of skill.

Sullivinho
02/06/2013, 7:24 PM
With his 56th Intl goal, Keane is now in a three way tie for 20th all time with:
Batistuta (Arg)
and
Pavon (Hond)
Next up on Friday will be
Imre Schlosser (Hung) at 59 and then
Didier Drogba (Other Irish Flag) at 60.

Yeah but he's not a team player and he waves his arms about a lot.

27th best Irish player ever at best.

Stuttgart88
02/06/2013, 7:55 PM
He's not from Blackrock either. Waster.

EastTerracer
02/06/2013, 8:06 PM
Hoolahan - 8 - Oh how we've need someone like him. Did Whelans job better than Whelan and he controlled the game during the second half. Was annoyed he was taken off but i hope that means Trap plans to play him. Could have a really good partnership with Keane

From my seat in the East Stand it looked like Wes pulled up injured just before he was taken off and he did signal to the bench to take him off. Hopefully it's nothing major and he will be fit and selected for Friday night.

tricky_colour
02/06/2013, 8:31 PM
Following my recent betting success I am having a go on England Brazil finishing 1-1 are 6 of the 15 previous fixtures did
so the the 8-1 I am getting seems a good price, they shoudl be offering about 5/2 by my reckoning.

Looking good so far :D

Just got to sweat it out for another 20 minutes and hope nobody scores!!!

It's say it's a coin flip for it to stay 1-1.

tricky_colour
02/06/2013, 8:40 PM
Balls screwed by Rooney!!!

pineapple stu
02/06/2013, 8:52 PM
England beating Brazil in a friendly is grand; it'll pimp up their confidence even more, and allow for a bigger fall come next summer. Same as beating Spain in November 2011.

(And as I type that, Brazil equalise. Which is also grand)

Not really much to be said about the Georgia game that hasn't been said already. The keeper being sent off changed things, but it can't hurt to get a friendly against ten men. I don't know to what extend the referee - as suggested earlier - is free to exercise common sense and, say, only book someone for what would be a red card in a competitive game; anyone able to clarify? Anyways, Georgia should have been down to ten shortly after.

On our side, Long was wasteful, Keane wasn't and showed why he's still the better option, McGeady again gave the ball away too carelessly at times, Hoolahan's pass to start the second goal was superb. I think comments on Sammon are a bit harsh - kind of criticising him for the sake of it rather than what happened in the match. Good awareness to set up Keane, and I think it was his harrying that caused Georgia to pass straight to Hendrick for our fourth. So 20 minutes on the pitch, and he set up two goals. Can't really ask for much more than that.

I did enjoy Keogh's goal celebration; looked like it really meant a lot to him.

Was it said as well that the starting XI for Friday would be coming on in the second half? So with Long and McCarthy suspended, are we looking at Keane and Sammon starting up front, Richie Dunne starting at centre-back, Quinn or Hendrick coming in for McCarthy?

Yard of Pace
02/06/2013, 9:17 PM
. I don't know to what extend the referee - as suggested earlier - is free to exercise common sense and, say, only book someone for what would be a red card in a competitive game; anyone able to clarify?

I presume international refs have some sort of assessment panel and I'd imagine even if it's a friendly you have to stick to the rules exactly as they are in competitive games or you'll be bumped off the, presumably fairly lucrative, international list. The lad was Romanian too, so I imagine he was making a better wedge than reffing Romanian league games (not to mention having to risk incurring the wrath of Gigi Becalli).

That would be my completely uninformed opinion.

pineapple stu
02/06/2013, 10:05 PM
I think comments on Sammon are a bit harsh [...] I think it was his harrying that caused Georgia to pass straight to Hendrick for our fourth.
Hmm. Probably giving Sammo a bit too much credit there actually; was just an awful pass.

-jT0diJ7kJs

Crosby87
02/06/2013, 11:31 PM
Wow Germany got smoked by the US today. And they wore Green. So Germany wore green and the Irish wore dark blue..... er... Black. Its a crazy world!

On an unrelated note the actor Michael Douglas says he got throat cancer from performing oral sex and the mayor of Toronto smokes crack. (Allegedly.)

tricky_colour
02/06/2013, 11:45 PM
Wow Germany got smoked by the US today. And they wore Green. So Germany wore green and the Irish wore dark blue..... er... Black. Its a crazy world!

On an unrelated note the actor Michael Douglas says he got throat cancer from preforming oral sex and the mayor of Toronto smokes crack.

Dam I forgot about that, I wanted to watch it (the game not Micheal Douglas!!) it probably clashed with the England though game I think though.

I found a download for it though so I am doing that now.
Also want to find a download for the Georgia game.

Apparently Douglas believes oral sex will also cure his throat cancer too!!

Here is a pic of the USA team, I thought it was Ireland at first!!

http://iceimg.com/i/fc/4b/2e70caf5f7.png

The Germans must be getting few up with losing to the USA!!!

drummerboy
02/06/2013, 11:50 PM
Seemingly Ireland were the first team to play West Germany after the Second World War and thats why they wear green as their second colour

tricky_colour
02/06/2013, 11:56 PM
Seemingly Ireland were the first team to play West Germany after the Second World War and thats why they wear green as their second colour

OH have I got it wrong, is it Germany in Green? That is what I thought initially actually but then I saw the pic and
the arm badge which I thought was a stars and stripes type effort.
But no seems I was wrong I remember hearing the what you said about Germany before.
Nice of the Germans to do that, and of course with the USA playing at home there would be
wearing their usually strip.

gastric
03/06/2013, 12:17 AM
I had heard this also, but as I found out with a comment about the Indian flag and how it came to be, this too is a myth!

http://afootballreport.com/post/17361170683/why-does-germany-wear-green-the-ireland-myth-and

Sullivinho
03/06/2013, 12:30 AM
Here is a pic of the USA team, I thought it was Ireland at first!!

http://iceimg.com/i/fc/4b/2e70caf5f7.png

Dead ringers for Norn Iron there actually, what with all the shoegazing.

tricky_colour
03/06/2013, 12:40 AM
I had heard this also, but as I found out with a comment about the Indian flag and how it came to be, this too is a myth!

http://afootballreport.com/post/17361170683/why-does-germany-wear-green-the-ireland-myth-and

Oh well you learn something new every day, would be interesting an Ireland v Germany match with everyone in green.
We might have a chance in that one!!

CraftyToePoke
03/06/2013, 12:44 AM
Dead ringers for Norn Iron there actually, what with all the shoegazing.

Was going to say the same.

Too quick Sullivinho.
Lightning.

CraftyToePoke
03/06/2013, 12:45 AM

I've heard this before, but have also heard it rubbished / disputed as myth based in fanciful notion. Does anyone here know for sure ?

tricky_colour
03/06/2013, 12:46 AM
Dam, just realised I am downloading the match with German commentary, mind you it turns out that all the
available versions are in German.

However I did do German for O Level at school, so will be interesting to see how much of it I can understand (about 2% I would imagine!!)

tricky_colour
03/06/2013, 12:58 AM
Fifa database which I assume is correct gives the first match as

22/11/1950 Stuttgart V Switzerland.

Then Switzerland again,Turkey, Austria and then

17/10/1951 Dublin Ireland

The Fly
03/06/2013, 2:53 AM
I've heard this before, but have also heard it rubbished / disputed as myth based in fanciful notion. Does anyone here know for sure ?

It's a myth.

Bungle
03/06/2013, 7:58 AM
Wes showed yesterday why it is imperative that he plays the rest of the campaign. Excellent on the ball and a player who provides an option to others on the ball. He tracks back as well. Many on here, have been calling for wes and this performance shows why.

Nice seeing Hendrick come on towards the end. It's very reassuring to see that he looks competent on the ball also.

ifk101
03/06/2013, 8:08 AM
Sure Hoolahan should be in the team but that would necessitate a change of formation and the dropping of Hollywood Bobbie.

pineapple stu
03/06/2013, 9:01 AM

On an unrelated note the actor Michael Douglas says he got throat cancer from performing oral sex and the mayor of Toronto smokes crack. (Allegedly.)
I don't know if you needed to put "On an unrelated note" - about 90% of your posts seem to be unrelated to anything else going on!

Stuttgart88
03/06/2013, 9:05 AM
IFK, why the perceived need for change of formation?

Hoolahan and McCarthy performed the McCarthy and Whelan role yesterday, and better.

Yes, Hoolahan is best used between midfield and a lone forward, we all know that, but what yesterday seemed to prove was that even in a 442 (and one with a completely impotent right hand side) he is a better option than Whelan.

ArdeeBhoy
03/06/2013, 9:44 AM
The WSC view. Some of which makes for interesting reading on prospective formation(s).
Though there are 1-2 factual errors.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/27-football/709817-england-vs-rep-of-ireland-it-s-on?limit=20&start=140 (http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/27-football/709817-england-vs-rep-of-ireland-it-s-on?limit=20&start=140)

Otherwise Georgia was yet another pointless home friendly...the FAI are shameless.

ifk101
03/06/2013, 9:45 AM
The perceived need for change in formation is based on what we have seen under Trapattoni. 442 under Trapattoni is two low lying central midfielders with primarily defensive duties. Hoolahan's strength is his ability on the ball. Asking him to perform a defensive role against more illustrious opponents especially given his size wouldn't fill me with confidence, regardless of what happened yesterday.

Yes Whelan's been decidedly average since coming into the team under Trapattoni. The most logical explanation for Trapattoni's persistence with Whelan is that Whelan is doing that which is asked of him.

ArdeeBhoy
03/06/2013, 9:53 AM

So what was the comment about the India flag, as it is based around the same concept as the Irish one, albeit with even greater sensitivity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_India

geysir
03/06/2013, 9:53 AM
I think Liam Miller would be a better option that Glenn.
I only saw the rte highlights which I assume cut out the dross. That wasn't a red card offence by the goalie, just a free kick and yellow card. Even if a half decent ref thought it might be a penalty, there was enough room for doubt (as usually applies in a friendly) about it being a goal scoring opportunity.
Overall though, we seem to do okay with winning penalties under Trap.

Crosby87
03/06/2013, 11:45 AM
Interesting article on things:
http://espnfc.com/columns/story/_/id/1466472/square-pegs-round-holes-again-trapattoni-ireland?cc=5901

Stuttgart88
03/06/2013, 11:58 AM
The article starts well and I think we all agree with the square pegs angle, though I'd disagree that we were "clueless with the ball at our feet" in Stockholm. Everywhere else including Dublin, yes, but we actually used it well in Sweden for the most part. A couple of overhit passes by McCarthy potentially cost us a good win.

Saying we "should" secure 2nd place in this group is a bit of a stretch, even if it is now proven by recent results that we are as good as Brazil(!).

The article also calls for a change in formation to get the best out of our players, yet still says we should just plod on doing what we're doing. Which is it to be?

ArdeeBhoy
03/06/2013, 12:48 PM
Thought that article was pretty insipid all round.

The blogs about Wembley and even the WSC Ireland thread were more interesting...

geysir
03/06/2013, 1:08 PM
Thought that article was pretty insipid all round.

The blogs about Wembley and even the WSC Ireland thread were more interesting...
You mean the WSC thread that you posted the link to earlier?
As long as you read the opening post with a stilted accent, condescending tone, complete with poker up the ass, then it raises a few chuckles.

tetsujin1979
03/06/2013, 1:16 PM
You mean the WSC thread that you posted the link to earlier?
As long as you read the opening post with a stilted accent, condescending tone, complete with poker up the ass, then it raises a few chuckles. you'd need to read a few of the wing commander's reviews to get the joke. the character is a bit like David Brent in that respect