PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Developments

GalwayFrancis
02/10/2004, 12:57 PM
with season 2004 coming to an end... is there any news on el clubs (re)developing their grounds... i know athlone are in the middle of their lovely new ground, a visual of their new west stand can be seen here (http://www.iol.ie/~atfc/newstadium/new-stand.JPG), very nice looking...dont know what the story with terryland is at the mo, but we dont need a new stand til we get promoted.

manic da hoop
04/10/2004, 8:29 AM
Virtual reality pics are all well and good, but how about a pictute of what the place really looks like at the moment.

gufct
04/10/2004, 8:47 AM
developments in any grounds until the issues in relation to grant aid are sorted Francis as no club has any money to invest themselves and that includes Shelbourne.

Until the sorry mess that is the administration and future of the eircom league is thrashed out and sorted once and for all i cant see the Govt. giving any club money.

atfconline
04/10/2004, 10:58 AM
Virtual reality pics are all well and good, but how about a pictute of what the place really looks like at the moment.

http://www.iol.ie/~atfc/news/sept04.htm Scroll down the page a bit to 09/09/04. Need to take some more up-to-date shots, though all that has changed since then is that the fence has been erected all around the site. Waiting on a few days of good weather to seed the pitch.

A face
04/10/2004, 11:42 AM
developments in any grounds until the issues in relation to grant aid are sorted Francis as no club has any money to invest themselves and that includes Shelbourne.

Until the sorry mess that is the administration and future of the eircom league is thrashed out and sorted once and for all i cant see the Govt. giving any club money.

Totally agree here ..... This has gone on for far too long ...... no one giving a straight answer. It is not like it will go away. It should be in a court by now anyway FFS !!

I was intending to have www.ifgrounds.com to give regular updates but with so many grey areas and so many people duckin' and divin' .... it just wasn't possible.

Lord above .... if anyone is listening .... can we get this capital grants thing sorted once and for all ??? Kick clubs out of the league if we have to !!

thejollyrodger
04/10/2004, 12:33 PM
http://www.iol.ie/~atfc/newstadium/new-stand.JPG

The stand looks the business. Is there a link to show what the stadium should look like when its fully complete ?

I think the FAI should take over the Eircom league. They are more professional now and realistically it might be the only way clubs can get grants to develop stadia

GalwayFrancis
04/10/2004, 8:23 PM
you can see the viaual of the complete stadium Here (http://www.iol.ie/~atfc/newstadium/index.htm)

thejollyrodger
04/10/2004, 8:28 PM
looking at that picture, there seems to be different stands at all the different ends, :S was it meant to be like this ? i thought a new stadium should look uniform the whole way around. It doesnt give anything on capacity. Its good to see they included a training ground as well ;)

GalwayFrancis
04/10/2004, 8:50 PM
i beleive it will be in the region of 5/6,000 capacity

boc123
04/10/2004, 8:53 PM
with season 2004 coming to an end... is there any news on el clubs (re)developing their grounds... i know athlone are in the middle of their lovely new ground, a visual of their new west stand can be seen here (http://www.iol.ie/~atfc/newstadium/new-stand.JPG), very nice looking...dont know what the story with terryland is at the mo, but we dont need a new stand til we get promoted.

If Athlones stand ends up like that it will look brilliant. I'm just wondering if it really will?? By the way what is going on in Terryland, I was there for Ireland v Scotland u18 a few months ago and there looked like there was some development going on across from the main stand. Are ye supposed to be building a new stand or is it just repair work?

Rocky
04/10/2004, 9:18 PM
Sligo Rovers are well on the way to finishing the new all weather pitch at the showgrounds, but that's not really stadium improvement.

eoinh
04/10/2004, 10:20 PM
I read last week that under John O'Donoghue and Charlie McCreevy the greyhound and horse racing industry got €500 million between them in recent years.

Yet football gets virtually feck all. :mad:

thejollyrodger
07/10/2004, 4:11 PM
can someone tell me (since that article post was moved to the bin) what are monaghan united's plans for a stadium/stand around the ground.

I know they have some kind of stand up there, it cost €150,000 grand but it is quite small. It mentioned in the article that they raised a couple of million, are there plans to extend the stand around the ground ?

atfconline
07/10/2004, 4:18 PM
If Athlones stand ends up like that it will look brilliant. I'm just wondering if it really will??

The pic is a 3D visualisation of the actual stand that will be built. The other pic of the complete stadium is just an artist's impression of a stadium drawn up for brochures etc.

manic da hoop
07/10/2004, 4:20 PM
Their developments mainly centre around training rather than spectator facilities. The stand has 600 seats which is more than enough for Monaghan given the kind of 'crowds' thet get - even worse than us!

SÓC
07/10/2004, 4:35 PM
The grants are held up because certain clubs used the money to pay wages instead of actually building a stadium!

$Leon$
07/10/2004, 5:05 PM
we must take to the streets and demand that our tax euros are goin to b spent on something that will bring joy and happyness to the people of ireland. REVOLUTION is what is needed to change the suits in charge of irish sport.

Hasta la revolution

A face
07/10/2004, 5:08 PM
The grants are held up because certain clubs used the money to pay wages instead of actually building a stadium!

Even that would be OK if they could account for it all, it is the sums that are not accounted for that are causing the problems. The whole league are looking at them now, an awful position to be in i'd say !!

Macy
08/10/2004, 8:14 AM
Town have "finished off" the car park end and the town side of the ground (filled in underneath, plastered etc). Next project is to roof that end and the side, but as with everything else it's dependant on the grants being reinstated.

The other end is up in the air at the moment - shut for the time being, as that hasn't been upgraded yet. We may have to extend the pitch, so they won't do much on that end until the other sides are finished.

The most important stadium development, the bar, is nearing completion and is now said to be finished by the end of the season. They didn't say which season though ;)

Bald Student
08/10/2004, 12:29 PM
can someone tell me (since that article post was moved to the bin) what are monaghan united's plans for a stadium/stand around the ground.

I know they have some kind of stand up there, it cost €150,000 grand but it is quite small. It mentioned in the article that they raised a couple of million, are there plans to extend the stand around the ground ?

The 'training facilities' are an astro park which is available to the public to rent, i.e. not a training facility but a commercial one. The stadium is plenty big for Monaghan's needs and I understand thet tha bar provides a nice income for the club. From what I can tell, the club has a good (if small) financial set up.

I understand that the one million mentioned in the article was used to build the astro park.

monutdfc
08/10/2004, 1:51 PM
Almost there but not quite student.
The astro park is a commercial venture, but as part of the agreement with the club which owns the land the club can use it for training for a set number of hours per week. I expect this will be mainly Schoolboy training. One advantage to the club is that the astro park means that 40 thirsty footballers will pass the bar per hour - hopefully a few will spend a few quid. The ground developments also include completion of 2 pitches on the far side of the main pitch, again mainly for the underage teams' training and matches. This in turn should mean that the main pitch will be used less, and hopefully the surface can be improved.
I agree there's no point in building a bigger stand until we are at risk of filling it at least occassionally, but its size does also mean that we cannot qualify for an A licence.
On the cost, I had heard that the astro park was costing 500k (unsubstantiated rumour), we got a 300k grant before the last election which I think the club had to match, but I think the other improvements (car park surfacing, bar refurbishment etc) cost more than 600k.
More info here:
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=18182