PDA

View Full Version : Georgie V Dolan

shedite
02/10/2004, 10:41 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed a million times before, but one of them HAS to go. I just can't believe there's even an argument about which one it should be.

I remember when we signed Dolan, we were all excited. Around that time, a buddy of mine from Pats told me that Dolan would make us happy to be in 3/4th place with the biggest squad but never being able to beat any of the big boys. Dolan has done great work off the pitch but as a manager, he hasn't cut it.

On the other hand, I would be disgusted if I was Georgie. He is a Corkman, without a doubt the most naturally gifted footballer on the team probably the league, playing for his home-town club, has given us some of the best moments we have ever seen at the cross, has more people wearing his jersey, and yet he is getting abused by half the crowd. What does he have to do to win over the doubters? Is it his attitude? If he was nice and polite like Patsy, Dave B, Johnny C or any of them were then there is not a doubt that he would be talked about as the best City player ever.

Either Dolan cops on, swallows his pride, realises the potential legend that he has and builds a team around Georgie, or he should move into a full-time PR position and let someone else do it. If Georgie ever leaves and goes to Shels or Boes at the end of the season coz of Dolan's ego, we will regret it for life. He will become the greatest eL player ever (yes I do mean that), do we want him do do that playing for Cork or some Dublin team?

thecorner
02/10/2004, 10:50 AM
i cant see what the problem is...if he is able to bring him on as a sub after 15mins,y cant he start him

but in fairness,georgie had a chance to prove his point when he came on but IMO he didnt take it.very bad when he came on

Fair_play_boy
02/10/2004, 11:08 AM
It is naive in the extreme to put the responsibility on Pat Dolan for the messing that Georgie is going on with. Just after the team was announced last night, when the team was wandering off the pitch a young supporter asked Georgie why he was not in the starting eleven. His answer, word for word was "Because Pat Dolan does not know how to pick a team." How irresponsible it is to talk like that. Completely immature. No employee speaks about his boss in that open way to the public. Georgie needs to grow up fast. A manager in Dolan's position could be criticised for pampering the brat too much. He is very lucky, IMO, that Dolan has not put him up for sale. Don't fool yourself that clubs will be queueing up with the cheque books, after they saw his true colours last month. Yes I agree with the first post in this thread that Georgie has massive potential, but he is his own worst (and only) enemy IMO. At the moment, the priority is for him to let his personality mature, which involves acceptance that others could be right, and he could be wrong about a few things. And that is exactly what Dolan is doing. You have to have shape and order on and off the pitch. If Georgie can take the irritation at being started on the bench, and allows himself to see his place in the bigger picture, then he will grow as an asset to the club and team. Dolan's patience throughout this is commendable, and I believe that other players in the squad will respect him for it, knowing that even if Georgie leaves the club, the club is bigger than one player.