PDA

View Full Version : What To Expect From The Game In Paris

Peadar
01/10/2004, 3:15 PM
Lads I'd say the game is going to be dire as a spectacle.
I expect Ireland to be very cautious because we have to respect the pace the French have in the centre of the park and up front.
That said, I couldn't care less so long as we get a result.
I'd settle for 0-0
The craic should be massive though!

Sheridan
01/10/2004, 3:23 PM
Ireland will win. If they don't, it will reflect very poorly on the players and manager. They have no excuse for not chasing the victory.

Kingdom
01/10/2004, 3:27 PM
I get a feeling in me waters about this game. Not that we ar certain to win or owt far from it, but I do feel that this could be a classic. I think it ould be a 3-2 or a 2-2 draw, there hasn't been one of those for a while. As for surprises, I wouldn't be surprised to see Duff on the right , singling out silvestre for some bewildering punishment (of course the above only applies if headless is playing left back which is by no means certain)

onenilgameover
01/10/2004, 3:57 PM
I reckon theres gonna be goals alright. 2 - 2 sounds nice. 0 - 4 sounds even better. I feel we will have to score first. I reckon France will control the game get the first one. Ireland need to take the game to France who are unsure of there own form so we need to highlight their fears from the start. I'm not sure if it will live up to the hype but its gonna be close unless we go two down then we would probably fold in on ourselves and France would shut up shop.

mjpcc
01/10/2004, 4:32 PM
I suspect we will play better than we did against Switzerland. Roy Keane, Carr and Finnan seem to have found their form.

Duffer and Robbie have a couple of games under their belts now. Robbie has been sh*te so far and I worry about our lack of power up front. Hopefully he will play against everton on Saturday.

If Roy Keane can come up with a vintage performance it will lift the whole team and anything is possible.

Hopefully it will be a cracker................ :)

ken foree
01/10/2004, 5:57 PM
our players might have improved recently (exception of robbie - installed in different positions by santini, although 'withdrawn striker' exp. can stand him in good stead) but they've just gotten trezeguet, dacourt (roma), and wiltord added back. not to be alarmist, but france - with pires and henry - will have to be v. bad to lose to us in paris. it can happen but a draw would be more than satisfactory

koneinc
02/10/2004, 5:05 PM
I think we'll play for a draw but I really think this is our big chance for AN AWAY WIN!!!

highlight100
03/10/2004, 2:50 AM
your only as good as the team your playing so come on ireland!!!!!

kevincronin2000
03/10/2004, 11:13 AM
Ireland will win. If they don't, it will reflect very poorly on the players and manager.

What are you on Sheridan, I agree they should chase the win but if they get a draw it wont reflect very poorly on the players and manager.

Roddy for Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jofyisgod
03/10/2004, 1:54 PM

:D Just remembered Eanna's "comments" during the match at the X in August.

In seriousness, how can we be expected to win? A draw would be great.

wallis
03/10/2004, 6:08 PM
I'd expect a performance almost identical to switzerland (and I hope it will be like this). The pressure is on the French , they need the 3 points. They have already dropped 2 points at home to Israel , dropping another 2 to us will be a disaster.

If we kill the game (as we tried to in Switzerland) and take a point we are in a strong position in the group. If we win every game from therein we qualify for Germany. It leaves us with our only away games as Faroes , Cyprus and Israel. France and Switzerland still have a double header. Plus , Switzerland are away to Israel on Saturday- how important will a ground out point look if that game finishes in a draw, or better still Israel win ?

There is a lot of discussion about going for the win and how we have to play better than Basel. Yes , we have to play better (and we will need to against France) but I dont see us changing the game plan.

We play 30 minutes and try and nick a goal. If not , we get to half time all square. 20 mins pushing forward and from 65mins to fulltime we play ultimately for the point but try and steal the 3 if we can.

It may not be 'exciting' or great to watch but its not about this. Its about making Germany in 2 years time and although I would love to say it will be a classic- I dont think it will.

We will see the same as Switzerland but we need a better performance all round to get the same result.

thejollyrodger
03/10/2004, 7:00 PM
Things in the French camp are not all well, but I wouldnt start jumping the gun and beliving the hype saying we can and should win. There was a lot of hype building up to the game in Basel and on the night we were terrible.

Kerr is changing things and everything is still in flux but the side doesnt show any of the hunger of previous Ireland sides. We need a big performance from Ireland if we want to secure the point. To go on and win it will take correct tatical decisions from Kerr and he will also have to pick the right players.

Its hard to name any players apart from Given and Duff who is playing well for their club sides.

Robbie Keane is playing in strange positions under santini and has only scored once for Spurs this season.

Clinton Morrison isnt getting a lot of games and hasnt score much for brimingham

Andy Reid - doesnt sound as if he is in great form (from skysports news)

Duff - starting to get more games for Chelsea and looks to be at least fit

Holland - still injury worries

Roy Keane - Serious questions have to be asked whether he can put in the performances any more. Looked very poor in basel, fergie isnt playing him as much.

O Shea - in better form now, not the best left back by any stretch of the imagination, but looks a bit better recently.

O brien - good

Cunningham - severly lacking in pace, hope henry doesnt make a fool of him.

Carr - His attitude is suspect, I wouldnt play him tbh.

Given - World class keeper, thank F we have him.

Just looking at that lot, I cant see Ireland running away with the victory. France will have to play bad and we will really have to put in a solid display. Something which has not been seen in the Kerr setup so far.

Slash/ED
03/10/2004, 7:15 PM
Carr - His attitude is suspect

Can someone please explain to me where this has come from? He never moans to the press, he rarely if ever gets sent off, he always trys his a*se off for Ireland and Newcastle and is generally one of the most determined players we have. He's not afraid of a tackle but rarely shows a lack of discipline, really, where has this come from? And despite the popular opinion, imo he's been bang on form this season. He's been excellent for Newcastle when I've seen him this season and has had more good games than bad for Ireland recently (Didn't someone say nobody has more assists under Kerr than him?).

thejollyrodger
03/10/2004, 7:42 PM
he rarely if ever gets sent off,

Rewind to basel September 2004.... he was lucky to stay on the pitch.

Slash/ED
03/10/2004, 8:14 PM
Rewind to basel September 2004.... he was lucky to stay on the pitch.

A few mistimed, completley non malicious tackles mean he has an attitude problem? :confused:

thejollyrodger
03/10/2004, 8:20 PM
well I remain unconvinced about Carr. A few more matches will soon determine the fact of the issue.

eirebhoy
03/10/2004, 9:09 PM
Its hard to name any players apart from Given and Duff who is playing well for their club sides.
Carr and O'Brien are probably the two most on form Irish players in the premiership (not including Carsley who's not in squad).

Didn't someone say nobody has more assists under Kerr than him?
Assists under Kerr:
Carr (3)
Duff (3)
Harte (2)
Carsley (2)
Doherty (1)
S Reid (1)
Kilbane (1)
Breen (1)
Finnan (1)
A Reid (1)
Lee (1)
Morrison (1)
Kavanagh (1)

he rarely if ever gets sent off
The Everton match last season was the first time in his career that he got sent off.

Sheridan
03/10/2004, 9:41 PM
What are you on Sheridan, I agree they should chase the win but if they get a draw it wont reflect very poorly on the players and manager.

Did you see France against Israel or the Faroes? They're a joke. All of their big-game players are absent or suffering from internationalitis. Any top-twenty team should be able to beat them (England effectively did FFS, but lost on a technicality.)

The only way Ireland can possibly lose is if they set themselves up to play for a draw, as they did against Switzerland.

Not that I really give a toss either way, of course.

1MickCollins
03/10/2004, 11:09 PM
"Where would the Irish be without someone to be Irish AT?" - Elizabeth Bowen explains the Glasgow Celtics problem

Right Lizzie the posh proddie was quite the expert in all thing celtic alright. :rolleyes:

Sheridan
03/10/2004, 11:26 PM
Right Lizzie the posh proddie was quite the expert in all thing celtic alright. :rolleyes:
You don't have to be an expert on sewers to know that they stink.

thejollyrodger
04/10/2004, 8:52 AM
O'Brien are probably the two most on form Irish players in the premiership

I was disapointed with O Brien yesterday, rather than defend he stuck up his hand at the ref looking for a offside. Then he decide to run back and put in a sliding tackle, missed and resulted in a goal. Bad defending!!

Peadar
04/10/2004, 9:36 AM
I was just reading on the French Football Federation website (http://www.fff.fr) that they haven't lost a game in the month of October in the last 10 years.
The ref for the game is Spaniard Arturo Dauden Ibanez, assisted by Clemente Ayete Plou and Juan Carlos Yuste Jimenez. Alberto Undiano Mallenco will be the fourth official.

I hope our level of expectation doesn't lead to a poor atmosphere if we take a cautious approach to the game. The French are dangerous and must be respected, especially since they're at home.

Greenbod
04/10/2004, 10:03 AM
Can someone please explain to me where this has come from? He never moans to the press, he rarely if ever gets sent off, he always trys his a*se off for Ireland and Newcastle and is generally one of the most determined players we have. He's not afraid of a tackle but rarely shows a lack of discipline, really, where has this come from? And despite the popular opinion, imo he's been bang on form this season. He's been excellent for Newcastle when I've seen him this season and has had more good games than bad for Ireland recently (Didn't someone say nobody has more assists under Kerr than him?).

Couldn't agree more Slash. This is a perfect example of how people's perception of a player can be skewed by some unfounded media reports. I think that fantasist Hyland in the Herald started this one.

wws
04/10/2004, 10:19 AM
if a draw was offered now I'd take it no questions - the media are whipping the Irish public up into a "we can win this" vibe - which is always ominous - Ireland are great underdogs but sh;t favourites - the tag just doesnt work with us - we're battlers, scrappers, put em under pressurerers against all oddsers

anyone remember the last time we won a competitive game against a top class football nation away from home?????

I'm struggling to recall

take the draw, and be grateful if we get it!

that said if the frogs really are in turmoil the team should quickly sense that on the day and go for the jugular - but somehow I doubt france wont give us a hell of a game!

tarzan_bray
04/10/2004, 11:45 AM
it's good news that Trezeguet is out, it will probably be Henry and Cisse up front then so

thejollyrodger
04/10/2004, 12:40 PM
If we can get a 0-0 or 1-1 draw I will be very happy with Kerr.

At the back we still havent sorted things out and there are numerous problems for us all over the pitch. The French may well have some internal problems but they have so many players with such individual skill that we could well come away with nothing.

1 point will do nicely. :)