PDA

View Full Version : Match in Thomond Park in July?

Charlie Darwin
16/05/2013, 7:46 PM
Just caught this at the end of an article about Thomond Park Ltd's financial performance this year:

Mr Cantwell said that the figure was in line with budget. He said the stadium would host at least one concert this year – Bruce Springsteen in July – and possibly another in August. Negotiations are also ongoing on hosting a high profile soccer match in July.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/2.790/thomond-feels-the-pinch-from-fewer-munster-matches-1.1396509

I'm guessing they're not talking about Limerick's crunch tie with Bray Wanderers, but I'd wager it'll be the same weekend since that's listed on LFC's website as:

Fri/Sat/Sun 11/12/13th July TBC

There's no international window planned this July, so it must be a pre-season (for Europe) club game. Assuming the FAI haven't changed their stance on big club games taking place outside the Aviva, we're looking at an English or Scottish club possibly playing another European club?

Dunny
16/05/2013, 8:00 PM
Sure Limerick played Man City in Thomond last year.

kingpin4
16/05/2013, 8:01 PM
Assuming the FAI haven't changed their stance on big club games taking place outside the Aviva, we're looking at an English or Scottish club possibly playing another European club?

As far as I know Limerick have their agreement to play 1 high profile game a season in Thomond Park. We had Man City last year, so probably bringing in someone of that calibre again.

bluewhitearmy
16/05/2013, 8:07 PM
Its another friendly for Limerick.

Charlie Darwin
16/05/2013, 8:30 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Man City match. I wonder why, it was such a great occasion. So Limerick against some barstooler team?

BonnieShels
17/05/2013, 9:28 AM
Barcelona?

adamd164
17/05/2013, 10:20 AM
Possibly West Ham? Their full team are coming to play us July 7th. Probably the obvious one given Sam Allerdyce's Limerick connection.

bluewhitearmy
17/05/2013, 3:15 PM
Possibly West Ham? Their full team are coming to play us July 7th. Probably the obvious one given Sam Allerdyce's Limerick connection.

I asked about this and was told it wouldnt be worth it for us to play them so im guessing it needs to be a big name to cover costs of it all.

adamd164
17/05/2013, 3:18 PM
I asked about this and was told it wouldnt be worth it for us to play them so im guessing it needs to be a big name to cover costs of it all.
Fair enough. Maybe it's a bigger name so.

Charlie Darwin
17/05/2013, 3:34 PM
Bigger than West Ham? What could be bigger than Big Sam's long-awaited return to Limerick?

Nah Nah Nah Nah
17/05/2013, 4:31 PM
The Rod Squad

Jofspring
18/05/2013, 8:05 PM
Should be interesting. With Man City last season it will have to be someone of similar status to be worth our while in my opinion.

Longfordian
18/05/2013, 9:37 PM
Should be interesting. With Man City last season it will have to be someone of similar status to be worth our while in my opinion.

Yeah there's nothing to be gained from playing a team that wouldn't give ye a close game.

Jofspring
18/05/2013, 10:00 PM
Yeah there's nothing to be gained from playing a team that wouldn't give ye a close game.

Exactly

Charlie Darwin
18/05/2013, 11:30 PM
Surely there's only PSG, Monaco, Anzhi Michalak left then?

Nah Nah Nah Nah
19/05/2013, 1:02 AM

Sure ye're playing teams in Thomond every second week (random days of course)