PDA

View Full Version : Flares and Smoke-bombs

dortie
01/10/2004, 7:05 AM
As you all know its the first of the cup semi-finals tonight and much preparation has gone on behind the scenes to make it a colourful one for tv.
Our club has always banned the 'use' of flares in the Brandywell much to our annoyance, although the odd one does get smuggled in now and again. Yesterday we as a supporters club were also informed that 'smoke-bombs' were also banned (We have an ample supply).
Can someone tell me what the hell is the situation in other clubs regarding both ? Ive seen them in many eircom league grounds not to mention on tv in the San Siro etc. Does your club react in a similar fashion ? What is the UEFA guidelines on this ? (Im aware that flares are seen as a health and safety issue).

****ing me off big-time. :mad:

Macy
01/10/2004, 7:19 AM
Don't know whether there is an official policy. I know everyone's always going on about Longford banning the (gay) tifo flags, but then the club apparently can't get a definitive answer off the FAI :rolleyes:

Just a word of warning, I know of a lad who brought in a flare to OT, and was charged under firearms legislation - They are stricter about it in the UK, but I don't know whether that applies to the North as well....

dortie
01/10/2004, 8:21 AM
Don't know whether there is an official policy. I know everyone's always going on about Longford banning the (gay) tifo flags, but then the club apparently can't get a definitive answer off the FAI :rolleyes:

Just a word of warning, I know of a lad who brought in a flare to OT, and was charged under firearms legislation - They are stricter about it in the UK, but I don't know whether that applies to the North as well....

Dont get me wrong we have used flares numerous times through the years but for the semi-final our club in particular seems to be clamping down and have included smoke bombs now too, claiming its also a health and safety issue.
We have the Tifo flags too and we have no issues brining them into the Brandywell (Although the Cypriot army stopped us brining them into Apoel Nicosia's ground last August).

Why do some clubs inforce these rules and others dont ?? Surely all premier league teams now with the A-License have the same rules ??

I think their poxy fecking rules mind you, particularly regarding 'smoke-bombs'

thejollyrodger
01/10/2004, 8:25 AM
Flares smoke bombs and big drums are class. They should have a band section in the ground with those big drums you see in the likes of turkey etc. As for flares and smoke bombs, they should be sold at the gate to home fans to really make a great atmosphere !!! :)

dortie
01/10/2004, 9:03 AM
those big drums you see in the likes of turkey etc.

We have had them 5 years now :cool:

Terry
01/10/2004, 9:35 AM
GUFC have introduced these rules as well as one that, you can get thrown out for cursing! :confused: :mad: It has totally destroyed the atmosphere in terryland, and then every week these same people blame the supporters for not getting behind the team if something negative happens :rolleyes:

Roo69
01/10/2004, 9:49 AM
Why do some clubs inforce these rules and others dont ?? Surely all premier league teams now with the A-License have the same rules ??

No matter if a club has an A Licence or not the rules apply to everyone, all Flares, smoke bombs are banned from every ground under uefa guide lines, well so i was told anyway. Think it was something to do with to many people getting injured. It's a shame because they can create a superb atomsphere under the right supervision.

patsh
01/10/2004, 9:50 AM
GUFC have introduced these rules as well as one that, you can get thrown out for cursing! Make sure someone informs a certain Mr. R. Seery & Spouse about this. It wouldn't do to be throwing out "chairmen" of opposing teams next season.....:D

wws
01/10/2004, 9:55 AM
Believe me there is NO rules, laws or otherwise about flares or smoke cannisters - I've had this argument many times with various officials including the senior league guy in the eircom league - on each and every time I've challenged them to show me where it is written that they are prohibited by law - on each and every time they have failed to do so. Flares in a crowd situation are not particularly safe so nobody responsible for crowd security in any ground or venue will ever give fans permission to use them in their grounds - and in that case it can be argued that is fair enough but to stretch it to smoke cans and flagpoles is taking the **** and is just a catch all "cover our asses" line

my advice is to say "fair enough - we wont bring them"

than smuggle them in and do them en masse (smoke cans)
they cant do anything about a fait accomplis

but just remember that if you are doin stuff like that the extra onus of safety is on you - which in most cases fans are well capable of and responsible about

we at pats use both flares and smoke cans and we've been told all are prohibited - we just do them anyway - they are whipped off ppl and sometimes holders are chucked out but cest la vie

ps id advise against using the word smoke bomb - just gives authorities an excuse to ban them

PPS Olimpiakos by all accounts used flares and smokes at a recent CL game - its done all over europe and is only a problem when it is used in crowd violence ie the two seville teams who fired flares at opposing fans

corkharps
02/10/2004, 3:47 PM
Dortie,you would have needed nail bombs to waken that shower last night!It'll be interesting to see who Kenny brings in over the close season!
BTW Great band at half time! :D

Stevo Da Gull
03/10/2004, 10:03 AM
GUFC have introduced these rules as well as one that, you can get thrown out for cursing! :confused: :mad: It has totally destroyed the atmosphere in terryland, and then every week these same people blame the supporters for not getting behind the team if something negative happens :rolleyes:

Ah now thats just too far :( Do they want to reduce attendences or somtin?
So much for fans being allowed to be passionate vocal supporters.
Surely they don't really inforce that one now do they? Thats fckuin ludicrous :eek:

NY Hoop
06/10/2004, 10:41 AM
Totally agree about flares, smoke bombs, tifo flags and drums. It's called atmosphere FFS. Bang on jollyrodger.

When we played pats (away!) my bag full of flags was searched for "flares cos they're banned". Yet when they scored flares were let off! At dalymoan the tifo flags werent allowed in cos they said we would use them as weapons!! Anyone ever tried waving them?! What are we gonna do? Recreate braveheart?!!

What it comes down to is common sense. Obviously keep kids away from the stuff but let a recognised bunch of fans e.g. Ultras take responsibilty for them.

The stewards have the combined brains of a flattened turtle. At dalymoan if we try to hang flags behind the goal the look of panic on their faces is priceless.

What we need to do as fans is get together with the league officials and thrash it out. Keep the cops and stewards out of it cos they havent a breeze. We badly miss those NLU meetings cos after the dons episode NLU died.

KOH

dortie
06/10/2004, 11:19 AM
We had the usual supply of smoke bombs and flares for the semi-final last friday night. I mentioned this in a local newspaper report in the Derry News before the semi-final and had our club officials fuming mad ringing us demanding we didnt bring them into the ground on the day of the event. Lets just say we decided to adhere to this ****** rule (because of RTE's presence) that evening although we did then light a 'token flare' at the end to show our disgust.
What has us worried now as a supporters club is what happened as we approached the ground. The Stewards informed us that we should remove the 'bamboo sticks' from our collection of red and white flags. We refused and stood outside until head of security arrived. Eventually after much debate they let us in 'because they knew our SC'.....I had a discussion with our head of security afterwards venting my anger at their pettiness and how they were going too far. We at Derry City seem to be getting the blunt of this balls sooner than the rest of you. My point is, we need clarification on all this before they fecking ruin the atmosphere at games in this country. Next they will be banning swear words !!!! :mad:

thejollyrodger
06/10/2004, 11:57 AM
I couldnt agree more.

They are killing any atmosphere that is there and then wondering why our home internationals are so quite. :confused:

ccfcman
06/10/2004, 1:16 PM
Fireworks and the likes are common place on the continent!

Dr.Nightdub
10/10/2004, 11:33 PM
Dortie has a point, after the Longford stormtroopers, the Derry stewards can be the most perplexing. Most of the time they're grand and used to let us in the "home" turnstiles if our bus was late getting up.

But at one game last year, they decided to get really finicky about some idiotic makey-uppey "no standing up in seated areas" rule. Cue screaming match and "Go over to the terrace if youse want to stand". "What about segregation of home and away fans?" Cue retreat of crestfallen stewards. :rolleyes:

Pats stewards seem to be fairly laissez-faire about flares, probably cos they've got to know most of us and the guy who's Event Manager for home games has occasionally doubled up as our bus driver for away games. They know we're not going to be silly about using flares or smoke canisters so they give us a chance to have our fun before being seen to step in and remove the offending articles. Everyone's happy that way.

PS WWS is right about the Olympiakos - Liverpool match. I was in Greece at the time, I dunno if it was shown on telly here, but before the teams came out, the Olympiakos fans had 40 or 50 flares going.

1 9 2 8
11/10/2004, 6:19 PM
GUFC have introduced these rules as well as one that, you can get thrown out for cursing! :confused: :mad: It has totally destroyed the atmosphere in terryland
Ya a few of us nearly got kicked out over that stupid rule :mad:
Taking about killing atmosphere's out shed was closed down pre season which has left the Showgrounds dead now.
Flares, Flags and drums the only way to have it

tom_k
12/10/2004, 8:48 AM
Where can I get smoke bombs in Dublin? Is there any shop dealing with stuff like this?