PDA

View Full Version : Town v Harps

Cabs88
08/05/2013, 6:24 PM
Big game at the weekend, with a victory for us putting us ten points clear of harps. Won't be an easy game but we'll be hoping to get a bit of revenge for our defeat up there. In the first game despite the bad conditions we could have snatched a draw but taking nothing for granted. As is the norm the section o will be meeting up in foxs bar before the game, and as always the Finn harps lads are more than welcome, I'm sure some of ye remember it from last year. Here's hoping for a summer evening and a 2-1 win for the town :ball:

Acornvilla
09/05/2013, 12:40 AM
Same as last week, just don't lose. Seeing as Harps haven't been doing so well lately its probably as good a chance as we'll get to win thou.

De Town
09/05/2013, 10:33 AM
I disagree Acornvilla, don't lose mentality was ok last week and any game we're away to Waterford/Harps/Athlone, but we must keep winning at home against everyone. If we keep that going it gives us a great base to push on and win this league. Having seen Harps earlier in the season, we certainly have nothing to fear. Yes they beat us but on the balance of play I don't think you'll find many who'd say we didn't deserve something on the night. Horrible conditions and pitch didn't help, so hopefully Saturday night will be a truer reflection of both teams. They haven't been great of late, and haven't won away from home yet, but I still expect a very tough game.

nigel-harps1954
09/05/2013, 10:52 AM
We haven't fulfilled any expectation so far. But saying that, if Thomas McMonagle is in fact fit to play come Saturday, it'll be the first time this season we've had a full squad to choose from.

We have been poor, and indeed, with you top of the table, you should have absolutely nothing to fear.

But there will be a large travelling support, a loud travelling support, and hopefully a lot more confidence for the lads.

Crew of us should be heading into Foxs before the match for a brew. Hope to see a few of the lads there.

outspoken
09/05/2013, 11:58 AM
I would agree with Acornvilla that while we obviously will be trying to win the game that anything but defeat is a good result considering we have a very winable home game next weekend. No real changes to be made from last Friday night only decision for TC will once again be Purdy/Nkolo/Quinn/Gillespie, rest of the team stays as it is.

fitzpatrick10
09/05/2013, 3:23 PM
But there will be a large travelling support, a loud travelling support, and hopefully a lot more confidence for the lads.

Crew of us should be heading into Foxs before the match for a brew. Hope to see a few of the lads there.

great to hear that ye are bringin down some support, it really adds to the atmosphere at games, even doe this year the singing has improved its hard to get people going at home games when very little away support present.

3 points is a must, really need to keep the gap at the top and try and extend it as much as we can. I think the starting team selection against waterford was spot on but would prefer if gillespie was put in a hold mid field position rather than on the wing, but i subbose this gamble did pay off... the real question is in what min will sully score

outspoken
09/05/2013, 4:47 PM
I've always said Gillespie should get himself out wide because simply put he can beat a man with his crossing ability. However, I wouldnt start him out there because at his age he cant be expected to track up and down for 90 minutes, impact sub I say.

Bosco
10/05/2013, 3:05 PM
I could have sworn I wrote a reply here this morning!But anyway, although I am never over confident for any of our games, given the fact we are at home and the difference in form of the two teams we should be going for all 3 points!Would agree that the same team that started against Waterford should start with Keith and Nkolo being used as impact subs! Gillespie doesnt have the legs for a full game anymore but as we saw against Waterford he still has a lot to offer coming off the bench when other players are getting tired!

How many fans are the Harps boys expecting to bring?

nigel-harps1954
10/05/2013, 7:17 PM
How many fans are the Harps boys expecting to bring?

We had to cancel one or two seats today due to too many going on the one bus. The only bus we could get is a 19 seater. Our usual 33 seater was unavailable.
There's a whole host of people travelling by car too.

Could see anything from 50 or 60, to over 100. Won't really know until tomorrow night. Weather will depend too.

outspoken
11/05/2013, 4:04 PM
Just read a tweet from an Athlone fan indicating that Noel McGee has signed 4 Longford, cant be true can it!

Longfordian
11/05/2013, 4:38 PM
Can't sign for anyone until July even if there was any truth in him coming to us. Don't particularly want him but it wouldn't be a shock to see him fall out with Roddy, they're both mouthy ****s.

nigel-harps1954
12/05/2013, 1:12 AM
Has to be said, Harps well deserving of the win. That woman doing the Extratime update would really want to consider a career change. If she happens to read this...cop on to yourself.

Couple of notes on what she said:

Another penalty decision going against the Town; defender Noel Haverty was clearing pushed in the back by Damien McNulty but the referee waves play on.

Rubbish. Clearly pushed me hole.

I really don't know how referee Sean Grant waved play on for both penalty appeals.

Maybe because they would have been amongst the softest penalties I'd have ever seen awarded?

For reasons only referee Sean Grant knows he flashes a yellow at Town netminder Chris Bennion.

Maybe not audible from the pressbox, but a group of us most certainly heard, "f**k sake that was a disgrace ya wan*er".

Two big decisions in the first-half are definitely the main talking points from this game.

Not once, NOT ONCE, was there "an excellent Harps performance" or "well played by Harps". She really has poor skills in her field. I eagerly await the report.

Fine hospitality from Longford, as usual, although, I'm not sure why we weren't allowed to have our flags beside us in the stand...where there was a whole free section of seats untaken.

It was an entertaining game I thought. Maybe not from a Longford point of view, but there were a couple of very well taken goals in McHugh, McCarrons and Salmons.

I was thoroughly surprised by Longford resorting to hoof football for the entire 90 minutes after all the chat about Harps hoof football in Finn Park earlier in the season. That was a relatively good pitch, slick, and good for passing football. Harps had their fair share of hoofing in the second half, but jesus I didn't expect so much of it from a pacey Longford team.

donnrua
12/05/2013, 9:11 AM
hey lads just wondering what the story is with Corie Tracy, havn't seen his name in any of ye're squads lately, is he injured or released?

outspoken
12/05/2013, 11:10 AM
hey lads just wondering what the story is with Corie Tracy, havn't seen his name in any of ye're squads lately, is he injured or released?

Just started back in full training this week, got injured in 2nd game V Waterford

outspoken
12/05/2013, 11:19 AM
Has to be said, Harps well deserving of the win. That woman doing the Extratime update would really want to consider a career change. If she happens to read this...cop on to yourself.

Couple of notes on what she said:

Rubbish. Clearly pushed me hole.

Maybe because they would have been amongst the softest penalties I'd have ever seen awarded?

Maybe not audible from the pressbox, but a group of us most certainly heard, "f**k sake that was a disgrace ya wan*er".

Not once, NOT ONCE, was there "an excellent Harps performance" or "well played by Harps". She really has poor skills in her field. I eagerly await the report.

Fine hospitality from Longford, as usual, although, I'm not sure why we weren't allowed to have our flags beside us in the stand...where there was a whole free section of seats untaken.

It was an entertaining game I thought. Maybe not from a Longford point of view, but there were a couple of very well taken goals in McHugh, McCarrons and Salmons.

I was thoroughly surprised by Longford resorting to hoof football for the entire 90 minutes after all the chat about Harps hoof football in Finn Park earlier in the season. That was a relatively good pitch, slick, and good for passing football. Harps had their fair share of hoofing in the second half, but jesus I didn't expect so much of it from a pacey Longford team.

First up before anyone takes me up wrong I want to say that we were p1ss and Harps deserved their win, a very well organised and good passing display while ye are a very dangerous side on the counter attack, some classy little players in that team starting from the goalkeeper up.

On the referee, it was by far the worst (or maybe bent) performance I've ever seen from a ref, hes done us several times now he clearly has some sort of agenda against us for whatever reason. There was shirt pulling inside the area all night, McCarthy may as well have had a saddle on his back but as you don't see many spot kicks given 4 that we'll forget about it. As for Purdy's penalty claim he was chopped in half from behind for goodness sake! Not to mention the goal that followed from McHugh was offside! Perhaps the worst decision of all however was when Willie Tyrell was hit with a disgrascefil 2 footed lunge and he didnt even get a free kick! He was extremely lucky not to have his leg snapped!

As for the hoofball it's nothing new and it wont change while cousins is calling the shots we simply dont know how to get a ball down and pass it which is extremely frustrating considering the players we have! Funnily enough I was shocked to hear Harps were nothing but a long ball team but its clearly the pitch in Donegal thats holding ye back because that was a fine passing display last night, only beat by Mervue and Cobh so far this season.

Doesnt seem like it now but yes it was an entertaining game, not looking forward to playing ye up there and luckilyy il be on holidays so wont have to go through the mill again haha, hope I've answered all your questions :)

Keen2win
12/05/2013, 12:49 PM
We lost, but that doesn't matter after Bennion coming over to Section O at the end, pointing at my 9 yr old bro and throwing his gloves up to him!!

Both of us well happy, fair play Bennion, the gloves look barely used! I saw on twitter that he gives the gloves away often enough, wonder if he does it after every loss or something similar to that, ala Roberto Carlos?

fitzpatrick10
12/05/2013, 1:46 PM
have to say the ref was brutal, ok we played muck and harps weren’t much beter they just took der chances, der 1st goal was der 1st shot while 3 town defenders stood back and allowed him to shoot... but for them to get the 2nd against the run of play from where we defo should of had a peno, also harps should of had a straight red when he slid in two footed after Tyrell I think (not sure which town player) passed the ball on, the ref didnt even book the harps player!!!... it seemed as if he didnt want to make a decision all night bar a few aimless yellow cards! very frustrating !

we played way to much long ball which cut out our midfiled, and even when they did get it was seldom they passed it on the ground. This sort of changed when Gillespie came on as he gave a few good passes on the ground out the wings which resulted in the corner and goals.
Thought TC should of brought him on 1st rather than take of Quinn for nkololo

the og really summed up the night, as no player really played to there best..

ah well, it will be a game to forget, just puts us under pressure to win next week to keep the gap, as long as we don’t lose again this phase we will be grand! Could do with a good performance and a clean sheet against cobh!

donnrua
12/05/2013, 5:26 PM
Just started back in full training this week, got injured in 2nd game V Waterford
I was thinking he was injured alright. I was surprised he didn't sign back with us as he'd had a fairly decent season last year and compared to a certain donkey thats been getting a game at centre half for us this year Corie would have been a good option to have

nigel-harps1954
12/05/2013, 6:08 PM
I'd have to say...my favourite moment in the night.

The chant coming across from Section O "can you hear the finn harps sing"..

Replied casually with "2-0 to the sheepshaggers".

Wonderful.

Martinho II
12/05/2013, 7:47 PM
in hindsight forget about the refs performance it was our worst performance of the season imo. I thought harps deserved to hammer us 3-0. sully was well marshalled and had one chance which hit the crossbar. Game only changed when subs were made. why we couldnt hit quality crosses more often like purds for our first goal I never know as Salmo took it well.. I think maccer had a stinker of a game for us with Willo not far behind. wot on earth was willo thinkin of harps third goal as it was an unenforced error from too much dilly dallying. Ref was poor granted why was there wasnt a card flashed at harps when Tyrell was lucky not to break his leg.

If that is the way we are goin to play I will be glad to miss next weekends match due to circumstances beyond my control I cant attend.

rossi_eire
12/05/2013, 7:52 PM
It was an entertaining game last night. Finn Harps finished their chances and deservedly won. McCarron looks a player. Longford enjoyed their best periods in the opening 15 and last 15. Salmon had a poor first half by his standards but recovered in the second to almost inspire us to an unlikely point. Quinn was unlucky to be substituted (it could have been anyone) and his replacement Nkolo looked a player short on confidence on the night. This was not helped by Gillespie who took every chance to berate him!

I thought it was interesting to see FH manager, Peter Hutton guiding some of his more inexperienced defenders through periods of pressure in the first half. They benefited from his experience. Despite conceding two late goals, keeping O'Sullivan off the scoresheet is no mean feat!

There were a number of contentious calls by Mr Grant. A definite pen for a foul on Purdy was waved on. This was followed by a FH breakaway and instead of potentially heading into the break at 1-1, McHugh made it 2-0. A game changer. A dangerous tackle on Tyrrell was also left unpunished.

Haverty, for me, was our best player. I have noticed a tendency for opposing teams to attack our other defensive areas than take him on. He also continues to bomb forward with varying success, but always asking questions of the opposition.

Here's hoping, we'll be back to winning ways on Sat:o

Martinho II
12/05/2013, 8:14 PM
Just read a tweet from an Athlone fan indicating that Noel McGee has signed 4 Longford, cant be true can it!

from my reading of it we offered him a deal in preseason and he turned us down as he had no desire to play for us.I cant see anything changin on this front. From what I have heard he will go back to St Peters but him and Roddy are not gettin on!

nigel-harps1954
12/05/2013, 8:31 PM
I thought it was interesting to see FH manager, Peter Hutton guiding some of his more inexperienced defenders through periods of pressure in the first half. They benefited from his experience. Despite conceding two late goals, keeping O'Sullivan off the scoresheet is no mean feat!

Quite simply, the reason we've had such a tight defence this year is Hutton. Thomas McMonagle came in last year and looked terrible for the first half of the season, many fans calling for him to be booted out of the club.
Huttons guidance saw him named March player of the month, and was runner up in April player of the month despite missing half the month through injury. Been our best player this season.
Keith Cowans first spell with the club was not successful, playing largely reserve football and not able to break into the First team, not rated by fans or the staff.
Bulked up, listened to Hutton, and is now one of the top centre halves in the Division in my opinion.
Damien McNulty signed this year, and in pre season, and the first few games, looked awful, dodgy, and all over the place. Past few games he's settling in, and looking like a quality player.

Defence last night,
Gallagher 21
Doherty 24
Cowan 28
McNulty 20
McMonagle 20.

That's a really young defence by any standards.

The average age of the Harps starting team altogether last night was only just over 23. A great mix of youth and experience is the key to the change in fortunes. With great strength in depth, we're looking like a real promotion challenge for the first time since 2007.

Wonderful to be a Harps fan at the minute.

Town Legend
14/05/2013, 12:11 AM
When I seen who was reffing it I knew the writing was on the wall for us. He was the fourth official in Wexford who was constantly at Cousins to get back in his box and telling the Town players to calm down yet he blatantly refused to even look at the Wexford manager who spent the entire 90 mins outside his box.....even after us letting him know about it!!! And on the Tyrell 'tackle' which happened not far from us, the Town players were looking for a rightful free when Mr. Grant claimed 'the Harps player won the ball', then Sammo pointed out that it should be 'at least a corner' then to which Mr. Grant replied 'it's a goal kick'!!! He's a disgrace of an excuse of a referee.

nigel-harps1954
14/05/2013, 12:33 AM
By the way. All this chat about the official. Harps actually left Thomas McBride out of the match day squad because he has a grudge against him of some sort.

He's never been kind to Harps. Never been a friend of the club. And there has been several topics on our own forum about the man.

So that argument doesn't work for ye I'm afraid ;)

outspoken
14/05/2013, 9:23 AM
He booked Alan Kirby for diving last year, Alan Kirby! That man never dived a day in his life, he has an agenda against us its as simple as that, Nigel if what you say is true about him having a grudge against one of your players it just shows how unprofessional he is, a referee should go into a game looking at it as team A vs team b, no preconceived ideas.

nigel-harps1954
14/05/2013, 2:24 PM
Ah yeah, he's one of the worst ref's in the whole League of Ireland in my opinion. Goes on some serious power trips. He's a name we never, ever like to see in Finn Park.

peterpan
14/05/2013, 4:08 PM
He is a name ye have never nor will ever see in Finn park as it is to far for a Wexford ref to travel, it was cost the Fai a small fortune!

nigel-harps1954
14/05/2013, 4:09 PM
He is a name ye have never nor will ever see in Finn park as it is to far for a Wexford ref to travel, it was cost the Fai a small fortune!

You'd think that.

But the FAI don't pay the refs. Not a cent.

outspoken
14/05/2013, 4:54 PM
Without going off topic here after watching MNS today the refereeing is the worst its ever been, one weekend a mass boycott from clubs would be great to see, refuse to pay the refs.

peterpan
14/05/2013, 8:41 PM
You'd think that.

But the FAI don't pay the refs. Not a cent.

your wrong there Nigel, the clubs pay a nominal fee to the Fai at the start of the season and the Fai pay the refs for every game, the clubs fees don't cover the full fee so the Fai make up the shortfall.

peterpan
14/05/2013, 8:43 PM
Without going off topic here after watching MNS today the refereeing is the worst its ever been, one weekend a mass boycott from clubs would be great to see, refuse to pay the refs.
How would that work, as much as we all love to hate refs they are needed for games.

nigel-harps1954
14/05/2013, 8:58 PM
your wrong there Nigel, the clubs pay a nominal fee to the Fai at the start of the season and the Fai pay the refs for every game, the clubs fees don't cover the full fee so the Fai make up the shortfall.

I'm not sure where you got that from. But that's wrong. It's precisely why I've heard clubs complain about the costs of referees putting them out of pocket after home games.

peterpan
14/05/2013, 9:06 PM
I'm not sure where you got that from. But that's wrong. It's precisely why I've heard clubs complain about the costs of referees putting them out of pocket after home games.
Trust me on this one, I'm involved in a Loi club and there is no money handed to refs by the club

nigel-harps1954
15/05/2013, 12:44 AM
Trust me on this one, I'm involved in a Loi club and there is no money handed to refs by the club

Maybe there's one rule for one club. ;)

I'll take your word for it, but I've always been led to believe otherwise!

Longfordian
15/05/2013, 12:02 PM
I think it's changed in the last couple of years. Clubs certainly used to pay the refs direct.

peterpan
15/05/2013, 12:26 PM
I think it's changed in the last couple of years. Clubs certainly used to pay the refs direct.
When the Fai came on board that all changed, no money changes hands now.

Keen2win
15/05/2013, 12:57 PM
Smackdown!

outspoken
15/05/2013, 4:40 PM
Referees are defo paid by the clubs, as for my boycott idea it would send a clear message to the FAI that their officials are muck and we demand change now! Would cause major embaresment to fai

peterpan
15/05/2013, 5:14 PM
Referees are defo paid by the clubs, as for my boycott idea it would send a clear message to the FAI that their officials are muck and we demand change now! Would cause major embaresment to fai
CLUBS DO NOT PAY REFEREES.....check it out, And as for your boycott idea it's just silly, all it will lead to is a weekend of games being postponed, and would show up the clubs not the referees.

Bosco
15/05/2013, 6:15 PM
Clubs pay the Referees alright...

nigel-harps1954
15/05/2013, 6:25 PM
Leave him be...Cobh had to be let off lightly some way..

peterpan
15/05/2013, 9:31 PM
Clubs pay the Referees alright...

Maybe in Longford.....that may have to be investigated aswell ��!!

Bosco
16/05/2013, 7:53 AM
Maybe in Longford.....that may have to be investigated aswell ��!!

Ha I was only winding you up man...

peterpan
16/05/2013, 11:47 AM
Ha I was only winding you up man...

As was I my friend!!!