PDA

View Full Version : Club songs.

nigel-harps1954
02/05/2013, 9:29 PM
Today I wrote and recorded a song about Finn Harps while bored.

I decided I was tired of the old Harps song.

It got me thinking. Are there many official songs about the clubs around the League of Ireland?

Don't think I've ever really heard many, and can't think of any off the top of my head.

For the record, here's what I came up with in an hour.

https://soundcloud.com/teddyballet/follow-finn-harps-nigel#play

adamd164
02/05/2013, 9:32 PM
Fair play man, that was very good.

PartySaint
02/05/2013, 10:35 PM
Not sure what you would constitute 'official' here but here are some songs about Pats

Song for the Cup final last season
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgOSfRtUXIE

2 more in this video, the first one starts at 1 minute the second one at 4 minutes, the second one is my own personal favourite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Em-KT6jqg

Sean South
03/05/2013, 9:14 AM

It got me thinking. Are there many official songs about the clubs around the League of Ireland?

Don't think I've ever really heard many, and can't think of any off the top of my head.

Catchy enough but no offence it's cat. Just been honest. Most club songs are brutal. We have a load of different ones from hip hop to rip offs of other songs/club songs and a few originals but they are all very poor.

nigel-harps1954
03/05/2013, 11:00 AM
You know, I'd probably pay good money to see you in a good mood.

Sean South
03/05/2013, 11:26 AM
Oh dear. Today is your lucky day then.

Redzer
03/05/2013, 11:42 AM
Catchy enough but no offence it's cat. Just been honest. Most club songs are brutal. We have a load of different ones from hip hop to rip offs of other songs/club songs and a few originals but they are all very poor.
"Sad are the homes around Garavogue, since!!!!!"
Aaah, I'm all confused:confused:

Fivesilver
03/05/2013, 12:24 PM
Seeing as it's P Milly's birthday, he should be forced to warm up the crowd in Tallaght with a rap or two.

codology
04/05/2013, 10:19 AM
We could have the bitters sweet symphony.

sligoman
04/05/2013, 10:20 PM
Shams played "Dirty Old Town" last night. Is that their club song? Or was it just their latest unprofessional attempt at insulting us?

dong
04/05/2013, 10:43 PM
Shams played "Dirty Old Town" last night. Is that their club song? Or was it just their latest unprofessional attempt at insulting us?

I'd say you're just paranoid.

NeverFeltBetter
04/05/2013, 11:28 PM
Isn't that song about Manchester?

Ezeikial
05/05/2013, 12:01 AM
Isn't that song about Manchester?

Salford, Manchester - where the songwriter Ewan MacColl came from.

There's hardly many gas works or canals around Sligo !

sligoman
05/05/2013, 12:12 AM
I know the origins of the song thanks very much.

Shams are known for playing music which is a dig at the opposition club (it's not just against us), so I'm wondering was that last nights effort or was there another one I missed?

NeverFeltBetter
05/05/2013, 12:36 AM
If it was a dig against Sligo, its pretty rich coming from a Dublin club.

Candystripe
05/05/2013, 1:19 AM
Sunday at the Brandy!

That is all,Sat night and massive festival in Derry. ;)

Fivesilver
05/05/2013, 7:20 AM
I'd be a bit more insulted by Shams helping knock us off top spot myself. Anyway, even if it was aimed at us - which it probably wasn't - I'd find that kind of thing quite funny. To Win Just Once was genius - although from what I heard Croly didn't see it that way.

Bawnville Hoop
05/05/2013, 2:09 PM
It was a random song out of the deck, don't be obsessed.

Ezeikial
05/05/2013, 2:21 PM
I know the origins of the song thanks very much.

Is that sarcasm or just plain boorishness?

My post was in reply to NeverFeltBetter's question.

It seems like simple things can offend you. (perhaps even no wins in that last three league matches)

sligoman
05/05/2013, 5:27 PM
Is that sarcasm or just plain boorishness?

My post was in reply to NeverFeltBetter's question.

It seems like simple things can offend you. (perhaps even no wins in that last three league matches)What? Who's offended?

I'm saying I knew the song was about Manchester but it doesn't mean they weren't on about us, which is what you were trying to say by saying there's not even any gas works or canals in Sligo.

Bawnville Hoop, it may well have been just a random song but I'm sure you're well aware your club has history in its particular song selections for the opposition, it's not something I'm making up.

Dalymountrower
05/05/2013, 6:06 PM
It was a random song out of the deck, don't be obsessed.

Strange that anytime Bohs play in the Local Authority stadium ( other than when we beat Pats in the Setanta). the deck randomly selects, " The Banks of Zurich" and that timeless classic " Gypsies tramps and thieves"

Bawnville Hoop
06/05/2013, 12:33 PM
This place is great.

peadar1987
06/05/2013, 12:40 PM
Surely it's just harmless fun? I wouldn't mind if Drogheda played "the Wall" when Unknowns were in town!

Dalymountrower
07/05/2013, 8:51 AM
This place is great.

Good title for a club song.

marinobohs
07/05/2013, 11:14 AM
Strange that anytime Bohs play in the Local Authority stadium ( other than when we beat Pats in the Setanta). the deck randomly selects, " The Banks of Zurich" and that timeless classic " Gypsies tramps and thieves"

Presume the latter refers to those attending the game, Gypies (Bohs) tramps and thieves :cool:

OwlsFan
09/05/2013, 8:34 PM

You're not really interested in whether there are "official club" songs around the league. You just used the thread as an excuse to publish your dirge. You should write a song about their first game in the league which I was at in 1969. Now that is worth a song.

nigel-harps1954
09/05/2013, 9:04 PM
You're not really interested in whether there are "official club" songs around the league. You just used the thread as an excuse to publish your dirge. You should write a song about their first game in the league which I was at in 1969. Now that is worth a song.

That's lovely. I'm glad someone rattled me.

For the record however, it was a genuine question. I usually post my songs in the music thread. You can have a look at the rest of my 'dirge' there.

I'm well aware of Harps defeat in 1969 to Shamrock Rovers too. But since I wasn't there, writing a song about it wouldn't do it any justice.

If it really annoys people so much, I'd ask some of the mods to delete my first post completely, but there's no need to be an a*sehole about it.

bullit
10/05/2013, 3:27 AM
Sorta,kinddaa DFC !

'The Men who saved the face of football' - Jinx Lennon.

G'waann the Jinxy yaa DFC ledge! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Jj8nvzqm4

nigel-harps1954
10/05/2013, 11:46 AM
Jinx Lennon is fantastic. Friend of mine done a video or two for him with plasticine animations. Great stuff.

MariborKev
10/05/2013, 11:57 AM
http://youtu.be/9WDXxp4sv0A

Not our official club songs, but one of the many recorded during our entry to the LOI in the 1980s