PDA

View Full Version : Squad for end of season games

Pages : [1] 2

Grafter
29/04/2013, 12:54 PM
What do you reckon? There's 4 games this May/June.
Must be hard for players to motivate themselves for Faroes game on June 7th! Have to say it's a pretty uninspiring time so late in the season to be waiting to play a relative minnow.
You'd expect dropouts but then there's the fillet of England at Wembley on May 29th and Spain on June 11th in NY. Sandwiched in between is Georgia in a home friendly on June 2nd.

Can we expect a full squad? Will Robbie insist on making himself available and playing at Wembley in a friendly which he rarely does of late?

Is Dunne going to make a cameo?

dynamo kerry
29/04/2013, 1:57 PM
I'd totally missed the spain game on the 11th as an option, a certain work trip to syracuse is looking more likely...

I'd say it will be a pretty strong squad. not too many of the players have good reason to put their feet up and say job well done for the season. Well at least for the England/georgia/faroes leg of things. Decent chunk of games actually. none of them too demanding but all quite attractive in their own way.

Unless of course we particularly get stressed about beating England..

back of the net
29/04/2013, 1:58 PM
What do you reckon? There's 4 games this May/June.
Must be hard for players to motivate themselves for Faroes game on June 7th! Have to say it's a pretty uninspiring time so late in the season to be waiting to play a relative minnow.
You'd expect dropouts but then there's the fillet of England at Wembley on May 29th and Spain on June 11th in NY. Sandwiched in between is Georgia in a home friendly on June 2nd.

Can we expect a full squad? Will Robbie insist on making himself available and playing at Wembley in a friendly which he rarely does of late?

Is Dunne going to make a cameo?

You would hope there will be a full squad , great having the glamour games but there is a WC qualifier then and thats the priority , so I cant see anyone crying off injured

Hope Robbie does insist on making himself available.....if only certain other players followed his example

Dont see Dunne being involved however

The Georgia game at home is mind boggling pointless....great to have a game to bring in young players but do it against better opposition

IsMiseSean
29/04/2013, 2:46 PM
I think the championship playoff final is 2 days before the England game, so that could rule out a host of players from that game.
3 points against the Faroes is more important though.

liamoo11
04/05/2013, 3:08 PM
Id like to see scannell,quinn and garvan involved for the georgia game and the training camp in general. Think they could all bring something potentially different to what we have.

Crosby87
04/05/2013, 3:41 PM
Anyone coming to NYC for the Spain game?

I think Keane playing in any friendlies if he misses Galaxy time is tenuous. He has been missing time there with injury and will probably feel he needs to start earning that paycheck.

tetsujin1979
04/05/2013, 5:15 PM
Id like to see scannell,quinn and garvan involved for the georgia game and the training camp in general. Think they could all bring something potentially different to what we have.
Garvan will be involved in the play offs, so might have to miss out

CraftyToePoke
05/05/2013, 3:22 AM
I'd like to see Joe Mason called up, blooded anyway. Just been promoted with Cardiff, made 28 league apps this season for them, with six notches from twelve starts in doing so.

But I am sure he has nothing on Sammon.

Stuttgart88
05/05/2013, 2:19 PM
I'd like to see Mason and the better U21s like Hendrick, Shane Duffy and maybe Aidy White, called up. Brady will hopefully feature in all the upcoming games.

On the assumption that this won't be a full strength squad maybe even Stephen Quinn could play himself into a regular squad place as a left-sided midfielder. I believe there's a guy in League One called Doyle too!

Trap's modus operandi seems to be to leave things alone for a while, use a friendly squad to take a look and then give a chance to the least impressive player and out of position. No, seriously, in fairness to Trap he has often used these occasions as shop windows so Stokes and his ilk should start making some noises.

IsMiseSean
05/05/2013, 5:31 PM
I can't see Trap calling up a whole host of players he has never had in the squad before. More likely to see Hoolahan, Clark, Meyler etc given more game time.
Hopefully Pilkington will be available, I read somewhere he's getting married soon...

Charlie Darwin
06/05/2013, 1:52 AM
I'd like to see Joe Mason called up, blooded anyway. Just been promoted with Cardiff, made 28 league apps this season for them, with six notches from twelve starts in doing so.

But I am sure he has nothing on Sammon.
Mason wasn't in the squad for yesterday's season finale against Hull. Not sure if he's injured or not.

SolitudeRed
06/05/2013, 8:28 PM
Would like to see the likes of Richard Keogh, who seems to have had a good season at Derby and Pearce given more game time as with Dunne not looking like he will be returning any time soon if at all I think we need to look at other CB options would be good to see Duffy get a chance too but I think thats not Traps style.

Stuttgart88
07/05/2013, 6:46 AM
Message to all fringe players: don't tell Trap you're going on holiday.

Grafter
07/05/2013, 12:51 PM
For the craic, I'd love it if Trap shocked Anthony Stokes and gave him a call-up...He couldn't really turn it down after bemoaning Trap snubbing him earlier this year and t'would probably totally feck up his holiday plans this summer.... :o

tetsujin1979
08/05/2013, 9:14 PM
Squad announced on monday lunchtime

Yard of Pace
09/05/2013, 7:49 AM
Would like to see the likes of Richard Keogh, who seems to have had a good season at Derby and Pearce given more game time as with Dunne not looking like he will be returning any time soon if at all I think we need to look at other CB options would be good to see Duffy get a chance too but I think thats not Traps style.

Player of the Year at Derby, I'm pretty sure I heard over the weekend.

shakermaker1982
09/05/2013, 11:36 AM
Predictions for the England game in terms of starting 11? I imagine it will be his strongest team available. No point ruining kids.

Stuttgart88
09/05/2013, 1:02 PM
Just to clarify, when saying that I was hoping that he'd pick some promising U21s I was anticipating a large (>23) squad and thinking more about the US trip. In hindsight this probably wasn't fair to assume at all, and I'd expect a full first XI to face England - maybe with some tinkering - and most definitely a full first XI to face the Faroes.

DeLorean
09/05/2013, 1:03 PM
Player of the Year at Derby, I'm pretty sure I heard over the weekend.

You heard correctly (http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/keogh-wins-the-jack-stamps-trophy-807299.aspx). Jeff Hendrick finsihed second.

This is Keogh's third season running winning a similar award, having picked up Coventry City's Player's Player of the Year in 2011 and 2012.

tetsujin1979
10/05/2013, 2:54 PM
Trapattoni's going to the Norwich gaeme at the weekend, and has been at a few games recently, according to today's Independent: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-to-run-rule-over-pilkington-ahead-of-england-clash-29255664.html

Charlie Darwin
13/05/2013, 10:03 AM
The provisional squad of 28 to face England, Georgia, Faroe Islands and Spain is Forde, Westwood, Randolph, O’Shea, St Ledger, Delaney, Richard Keogh, Wilson, Coleman, Kelly, O’Dea, McShane, Whelan, McCarthy, Green, Hendrick, McGeady, Pilkington, McClean, Brady, Meyler, Andy Keogh, Keane, Long, Sammon, Walters, Cox and Hoolahan. The squad will be shortened late next week to accommodate injuries etc.

tetsujin1979
13/05/2013, 10:17 AM
think Clark is still injured? No other glaring omissions

ArdeeBhoy
13/05/2013, 10:24 AM
And Dunne...Leon Best too?

Also even Caleb Folan is better than Sammon, surely?

Sullivinho
13/05/2013, 10:29 AM
Sammon stinking up that list like a bad fish.

Windup? Bet? Test from God? What's the real reason, Trap.

ArdeeBhoy
13/05/2013, 10:31 AM
Or like a 'fish out of water', 'out of his depth' etc.

ArdeeBhoy
13/05/2013, 10:32 AM
Andy Keogh is barely much better...

Charlie Darwin
13/05/2013, 10:47 AM
And Dunne...Leon Best too?

Also even Caleb Folan is better than Sammon, surely?
You're surprised he left out a player who hasn't played in a year and another who's barely played since recovering from an anterior cruciate ligament injury?

gastric
13/05/2013, 10:47 AM
It seems RTE believe an idiot abroad is a good recruit for us! I am sure Anthony will be happy.
Bugger they just changed Pilkington name from Karl to Anthony after initially listing him as Karl.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/irish-international/2013/0513/391958-trapattoni-names-28-man-ireland-squad/

ArdeeBhoy
13/05/2013, 10:50 AM
You're surprised he left out a player who hasn't played in a year and another who's barely played since recovering from an anterior cruciate ligament injury?
No, I'm not surprised. Did I say I was?
;)

And Doyle, mediocre that he now is, better than Sammon/A.Keogh.

peadar1987
13/05/2013, 10:53 AM
It seems RTE believe an idiot abroad is a good recruit for us! I am sure Anthony will be happy.
Bugger they just changed Pilkington name from Karl to Anthony.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/irish-international/2013/0513/391958-trapattoni-names-28-man-ireland-squad/

Trap's picking the rugby team now? Jeez, Schmidt didn't last long!

SwanVsDalton
13/05/2013, 11:30 AM
Doyle and Clark are injured and won't make the games according to Trap. Whelan said he'll be ok, hence his inclusion. Trap mentioned Dunne during the presser, reportedly said something about him not being fit and needing to play a game or two before being considered.

Also said he wants to start Pilkington against England, but probably needs permission from the future Mrs Pilkington.

Bungle
13/05/2013, 11:30 AM
I'm sure the fact that we have two very glamourous friendlies and a crucial qualifier will mean that there will be fewer withdrawals than usual. It is a predictable squad, even if I am disappointed fellas like Sammon are there, I might as well get used to him being there for the rest of Trap's tenure. All in all though, I am happy with it. It would be nice to see the likes of Richard Keogh, Hendrick, Meyler and Brady feature prominently against Georgia and Spain and I would like to think that Pilkington could possibly force his way into the starting line up for September's matches.

I actually think that the England game will be very competitive. Even though, we might consider England bigger rivals than they might us, the English lads will put in a far bigger shift than they might if they were playing most international teams. It will be a very good test for the difficult games to come in the Autumn. I'd like to see more of the peripheral players get a run out against Georgia and then a full strength team against Faroes. The Spanish game will probably be a weird one with our lads looking to get one over them for Euro 2012 and in some cases put themselves in the shop window and their lads probably knackered from the end of their season and just wanting to be lying on a beach.

Grafter
13/05/2013, 12:22 PM
Christ! This big "DOYLE OUT" headline on BBC website.... ra, ra, ra, it's a travesty blah blah mularky:rolleyes:
I despise these kind of headlines.... give me simply "Trapattoni names squad" and leave it at that please!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22512577

nigel-harps1954
13/05/2013, 12:36 PM
It's certainly as good a squad as is available at the minute. And for the first time in quite some time, I'm in agreement with a large part of the squad. There are no glaringly obviously exclusions as such.

The only talking points to come, is who gets left out of the final squad.

SwanVsDalton
13/05/2013, 1:06 PM
Christ! This big "DOYLE OUT" headline on BBC website.... ra, ra, ra, it's a travesty blah blah mularky:rolleyes:
I despise these kind of headlines.... give me simply "Trapattoni names squad" and leave it at that please!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22512577

Bizarre. At least two journos at the conference reported Doyle was left out due to injury.

jbyrne
13/05/2013, 1:48 PM
Bizarre. At least two journos at the conference reported Doyle was left out due to injury.

doyle and clark both need ops hence their exclusion

Charlie Darwin
13/05/2013, 1:54 PM
No, I'm not surprised. Did I say I was?
;)

You said they were notable omissions which implies some element of unexpectedness.

ArdeeBhoy
13/05/2013, 2:21 PM
Spectacular misreading there...
Stick to evolution old chap.

Stuttgart88
13/05/2013, 2:35 PM
I've been very critical of Sammon's selection and performance vs Austria but his inclusion is totally expected and I can't believe anyone thinks otherwise. If Trap was disappointed in him he'd have taken him off in the last game.

I just hope he's not seen as a starter in any of these games and if Trap's plan to outwit the Faroes is to play hoofball then I'll despair.

I hope he picks Walters as a forward (if at all) and any two of McClean, Pilkington, McGeady and Brady out wide would make more sense to me than picking Walters there again.

Glad to see Hendrick, Meyler and Brady there and fair play to Richard Keogh.

Charlie Darwin
13/05/2013, 3:05 PM
Spectacular misreading there...
Stick to evolution old chap.
Why are they notable omissions then?

ArdeeBhoy
13/05/2013, 3:18 PM
They aren't. Which I didn't say anyway, FFS.

Charlie Darwin
13/05/2013, 3:24 PM
So you just said their names for absolutely no reason, right after somebody else had said "no notable omissions..."

ArdeeBhoy
13/05/2013, 3:25 PM
Yes, of course I did. Re-read the original post. And then sue your former educators.
;)

jbyrne
13/05/2013, 3:27 PM
And then sue your former educators.
;)

Attack the post not the poster thanks. There are many other forums available for cheap insults if thats your style

ArdeeBhoy
13/05/2013, 3:28 PM
Except he's the one having a go at me, pointlessly.
:rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
13/05/2013, 3:37 PM
AB only posts isolated links, antagonistic comments towards unionists or antagonistic comments with some degree of connection to our colonial past. Generally anything that can not be categorised as either helpful or friendly.

jbyrne
13/05/2013, 3:39 PM

but without cheap personal insults

Charlie Darwin
13/05/2013, 3:41 PM
I made a fairly reasonable inference that your post referenced the previous post. I can hardly be expected to know you are merely throwing out ill-formed thoughts with no regard for context or good sense.

Stuttgart88
13/05/2013, 3:46 PM
Was that directed at me in error?

Charlie Darwin
13/05/2013, 3:48 PM
It was :)