PDA

View Full Version : Has LOI got the characters to grab headlines?

Sam_Heggy
25/04/2013, 9:16 AM
Looking at the EPL and all the media coverage Suarez gets (for everything), it just had me looking at our own "characters" in the game over here.

Who would be our main headline generators? (if the press gave a sh!te)

Rory Patterson?
Georgie?
Dave Rogers?

El-Pietro
25/04/2013, 9:23 AM
2/3rds of the players you have mentioned no longer play in the League of Ireland, if at all.

Sam_Heggy
25/04/2013, 9:27 AM
I mean in general. Past/Present.

peadar1987
25/04/2013, 10:46 AM
Maxi?

Mr A
25/04/2013, 11:41 AM
Nick Leeson always got plenty of coverage.

To balance that Michael D gets a bit of attention for the league as well.

Hard to think of too many, the general interest in the LOI just is not there.

bluemovie
25/04/2013, 11:55 AM
Robert Bayly has surely bitten players in the past!

Longfordian
25/04/2013, 12:09 PM
Roddy Collins.

PartySaint
25/04/2013, 12:24 PM
Why would Rory Patterson grab attention?

On the field Twigg was a recognisable name for people who didn't follow the league due to his and Rovers success. Forrester now seems to be the person that most people who wouldn't support the league would know about due to that chip.

Sunny Jim
25/04/2013, 12:31 PM
Search for "Mick Wallace" on the Indo website. Plenty of headlines right there.

Sam_Heggy
25/04/2013, 12:50 PM
Why would Rory Patterson grab attention? .

He's the Suarez of the North-west.

Guinney
25/04/2013, 12:54 PM
Famous fans I suppose would be:

Tom the Gom
Maxi
President Michael D. Higgins
I see Eric Lawlor is a Bohs fan

Player wise:
Twigg last year was probably the player everybody knew about.
Joey N'Do would be a player a lot of casual fans would know.
Probably the same goes for Mark Quigley.

But to be honest the League generally doesn't get any headlines unfortunately. The biggest headline generator is when there is something going wrong with the league, like trouble at a match. But thankfully there hasn't been a whole lot of this in recent years, but a lot of people still have a bad perception of the league due to the newspapers highlighting these few and far between incidents.

I have one mate who won't go up to Oriel due to the 'Violence', but he claimed you wouldn't see incidents like this at English football pitches. Baffling.

bluemovie
25/04/2013, 12:54 PM
Weren't the old Cork City considering signing Paul Galvin a few years back and he's in the papers more than Luis Suarez? They should've signed him for the benefit of the whole league.

MariborKev
25/04/2013, 1:02 PM
Call me old fashioned but if I wanted "characters" I would just barstool it and watch the Premier League.

I'm there to watch football.

Dodge
25/04/2013, 1:29 PM
Sure you can watch football anywhere.

Loads of drama in the LOI too. From talents like Ndo, McNamee, Forrester et all to the polarising figures like Sean O'Connor, Killian Brennan or Alan Keane to the outright nutjobs like Bocker Bayly. Players on the way up like Cawley or Duggam and great players on the way down like Healy and Jay Byrne

PartySaint
25/04/2013, 4:17 PM
He's the Suarez of the North-west.

Racist or a cannibal? Or both?

Famous fans I suppose would be:

Tom the Gom
Maxi
President Michael D. Higgins
I see Eric Lawlor is a Bohs fan

Don't forget Barry the Bohs fan, another LOI legend.

Straightstory
25/04/2013, 4:59 PM
One from the archives... http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-loneliness-of-the-longterm-goalie-26252091.html

sligoman
25/04/2013, 5:00 PM
Chris Turner's glove.

Dalymountrower
25/04/2013, 5:02 PM
In the modern era, Kevin Hunt, Glen Crowe, Wes Houlihan the "fabulous" Baker boys, Twigg, Roddy, were always worth a headline. Nowadays.....?
Further back Mick 0`Brien, Athlone keeper, probably got more International TV coverage than any LOI player in history. I remember one game and his name being chanted by Bohs fans and he did his party trick of sitting on the cross-bar in response

sligoman
25/04/2013, 5:04 PM
Sean Connor's probably grabbed the headlines more since he left the league, with his Zimbabwe dealings.

bluemovie
25/04/2013, 5:10 PM
What about Rossi Walsh ex of Shels? A right character for grabbing headlines :shock:

adamd164
25/04/2013, 6:51 PM
Ex-Longford keeper Stephen "Digger" O'Brien was a very popular figure down on Leeside for his dancing moves and good banter, shame he never played for us! Good keeper he was, especially for his size.

Mad Moose
25/04/2013, 7:05 PM
Mickey Collins :o I wouldn't have crossed Mickey Collins. Namesake Roddy. Top of the list. Absolute tool universally hated. We've all had a boss like him. I've had two. One I saw off, the other I left.

roversforever
25/04/2013, 11:33 PM
I actually think Joey Ndo is the only "superstar" of the league,in that he is somebody a fairly large number of non loi-related people will know of.Patterson,Forrester etc are good players but I think its only loi fans that would be familiar with them.

Charlie Darwin
25/04/2013, 11:40 PM
Bring back Rohan Ricketts.

To Sligo, preferably.

bullit
25/04/2013, 11:42 PM
I actually think Joey Ndo is the only "superstar" of the league,in that he is somebody a fairly large number of non loi-related people will know of.Patterson,Forrester etc are good players but I think its only loi fans that would be familiar with them.
But will he bite someone or shoot a trainee with a bb gun? I think thats the kind of trait in a player that the op is looking for ?

Macy
26/04/2013, 7:19 AM
Looking at the EPL and all the media coverage Suarez gets (for everything), it just had me looking at our own "characters" in the game over here.

Who would be our main headline generators? (if the press gave a sh!te)
We do, just nobody's allowed to name him at the moment!

pineapple stu
26/04/2013, 8:34 AM
Bring back Rohan Ricketts.
Who, since leaving Rovers, has played for Exeter City in England, Dempo in India (leaving after a Twitter rant) and Deportivo Quevedo in Ecuador, to add to earlier spells in Canada, Hungary, Moldova and Germany. What a mad career path.

osarusan
26/04/2013, 9:38 AM
Eddie Van Boxtel. The man we love to hate. And love to imprison.

adamd164
26/04/2013, 9:56 AM
Ndo is 37 soon, Sligo would wanna look at replacing him. Eventually.

avvenalaf
26/04/2013, 10:15 AM
Ndo is 37 soon, Sligo would wanna look at replacing him. Eventually.

Yeah - probably has only another fourteen or fifteen seasons in him.

poster
26/04/2013, 11:42 AM
The words 'Gary', 'Stevens' and 'character' fit nicely together.

Charlie Darwin
26/04/2013, 1:15 PM
Who, since leaving Rovers, has played for Exeter City in England, Dempo in India (leaving after a Twitter rant) and Deportivo Quevedo in Ecuador, to add to earlier spells in Canada, Hungary, Moldova and Germany. What a mad career path.
What's mad is the fact he's still finding clubs to pay him money.

fionnsci
26/04/2013, 7:52 PM
What's mad is the fact he's still finding clubs to pay him money.

Bizarre to think that I once was at a game he started in White Hart Lane.

A face
26/04/2013, 9:20 PM
Weren't the old Cork City considering signing Paul Galvin a few years back and he's in the papers more than Luis Suarez? They should've signed him for the benefit of the whole league.

True story but when he arrived he was no where near that fitness level of the rest of the team, it was around 2004/2005 and we were on fire at that time.

**FrOsTy**
28/04/2013, 3:03 PM
Surprised Fat Pat Dolan hasn't been mentioned. Also Dermot Keeley.

MariborKev
28/04/2013, 5:03 PM
After today's news, perhaps a few teams may be looking at signing Matty Burrows.

Martinho II
28/04/2013, 6:01 PM
After today's news, perhaps a few teams may be looking at signing Matty Burrows.

whos matty burrows maribor??

pineapple stu
28/04/2013, 6:07 PM
KzAZTdyOXcA

What's today's news though? Can't find anything on google about that.

Longfordian
28/04/2013, 6:10 PM
KzAZTdyOXcA

What's today's news though? Can't find anything on google about that.

The only thing I could find was Ards getting promoted but that's not really something most of us would have been aware of.

adamd164
28/04/2013, 8:13 PM
This is a bit off-topic, but I just saw on telly that Bobby Tambling (Chelsea's all-time top scorer ahead of Lampard) was brought out onto the field at half time at Stamford Bridge today.

Tambling was the first manager of Cork City FC in 1984.

patrickccfc
28/04/2013, 9:20 PM
This is a bit off-topic, but I just saw on telly that Bobby Tambling (Chelsea's all-time top scorer ahead of Lampard) was brought out onto the field at half time at Stamford Bridge today.

Tambling was the first manager of Cork City FC in 1984.
Was up at my local teams(crosshaven) pitch one day and he was there, i cracked a 30 yarder in off the crossbar, bobby was there training the u17's and saw it and said he wanted me on his team.. shame i was 18

osarusan
28/04/2013, 10:34 PM
My brother was born on the day Cork Celtic won the league in 1974 and is named after Bobby Tambling. My father drunkenly insisted that my mother choose a name from the 11 players that day.

Fivesilver
29/04/2013, 8:17 AM
I hope they called him Bobby.