PDA

View Full Version : Darren Randolph (G West Ham b.1987)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

gastric
25/04/2013, 9:06 AM
Birmingham interested in signing Randolph to replace Butland. Would be a good move in terms of standard and profile for him.
Doyle is out of contract at the end of the season and really needs to move on to secure regular first team football, as he is a bit like Bunn, who really should left Blackburn long before he did.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/birmingham-city/10013662/Birmingham-City-set-to-sign-Motherwell-goalkeeper-Darren-Randolph-as-a-replacement-for-Jack-Butland.html

Charlie Darwin
25/04/2013, 12:20 PM
Randolph loves a good Bosman. I think there's already a thread for him though.

Junior
25/04/2013, 12:35 PM
There is a thread somewhere. Worth a MOD merging if possible.

I heard an interview with McCall last week who was (almost) resigned to losing Randolph in the summer, though interestingly the interviewer nor McCall mentioned any of the possible clubs that were showing interest in him. McCall hadnt written off keeping him completely but saw it as a slim chance.

gastric
14/05/2013, 10:37 PM
Move to Birmingham confirmed.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2013/0514/392264-darren-randolph/

Charlie Darwin
14/05/2013, 10:39 PM
He's obviously been told he'll be #1 judging by his comments. Poor Colin Doyle, he really needs to find a new club this summer.

gastric
14/05/2013, 10:53 PM
He's obviously been told he'll be #1 judging by his comments. Poor Colin Doyle, he really needs to find a new club this summer.

Completely agree as I said above. He really, really needs to move to gain first team experience.

Charlie Darwin
14/05/2013, 10:55 PM
Yeah, he's almost 28. He'll pass his peak sitting on the bench before he knows it if he doesn't get out. Randolph, on the other hand, is only 26 and has 4 years of first team experience now.

Stuttgart88
03/05/2014, 12:59 PM
Randolph badly at fault to let Brum go 2 down at Bolton, and relegated. Beaten by a soft shot at near post. But Zigic has scored 1 back, justifying his 65k a week wages and annual 250k loyalty bonus (true).

We really dont need DR anywhere near our squad Im afraid. He always disappoints when I see him.

Charlie Darwin
03/05/2014, 1:09 PM
2-2 now, Birmingham are staying up unless Doncaster can find an equaliser at Leicester.

Stuttgart88
03/05/2014, 1:09 PM
Lucky boy!

CraftyToePoke
03/05/2014, 4:34 PM
He was badly exposed near post definitely, the camera close up on his face after too said it all.

TheOneWhoKnocks
26/07/2014, 6:59 PM
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-darren-randolph-still-7460468

Randolph reiterates USA eligibility.

Olé Olé
26/07/2014, 7:19 PM
I could still play for USA. I’ve got both passports and I think it is until you have played a competitive game and I have only played two friendlies – so it could still happen. I don’t even think about it at all.

Tough to judge too much from the quotes. Either way, this whole "it could happen" lark; He must be forgetting that all he has in front of him with Ireland are Championship level keepers i.e. his own level. There isn't much hope of the man pushing Brad Guzan or Tim Howard out of the frame.

Charlie Darwin
26/07/2014, 8:20 PM
Randolph Issues 'Come And Get Me' Plea To Klinsmann

edit: The Beggars have got wind: http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/new-ya-darren-randolph.114802/page-5

DannyInvincible
27/07/2014, 1:48 PM
I wouldn't read into it too much. He just confirms he's still eligible for the US without declaring any firm interest in switching and even speaks of wanting to play for us in the present tense:

As much as you want to play you don’t want to be playing injured and not doing yourself justice.

The manager has got a job to do and he wants to see players – it’s a no win situation – it’s tough.

Nobody expected USA to be pushing Belgium into extra-time in the last 16 of the World Cup with fans around the world willing them on, but one Ireland international had a special reason for wanting them to succeed.

Darren Randolph returned home to Bray for a fortnight before starting pre-season training with Birmingham City and the goalkeeper and his American father, former professional basketball player Ed, were glued to the television back in Wicklow.

“That was my team for the World Cup with my dad (being American) and me having the dual citizenship,” explained Randolph.

“Obviously USA came first for me and after that I didn’t really care. They did really well and surprised a lot of people.”

First, there was Jack Grealish supporting England during the World Cup. Then, Liam Bossin revealed his support for Belgium. Now, we have Ireland-born Randolph admitting to having supported the US just because he happens to be related by birth to man who just so happened to be born within the borders of the US! You must be seething at this display of infidelity to the nation, TOWK?

TheOneWhoKnocks
27/07/2014, 2:29 PM
More than anything, it was Jack's comments about supporting England and not Ireland at Euro 2012 that didn't sit right with me. I believe he said something patronising and transparent to the effect that he supports England senior team and Ireland youth teams?! Whatever his opinion - he's entitled to it - he should refrain from saying such daft things in a public forum. I'm also skeptical about some of his brother's posts on VillaTalk - such as referring to Ireland as his "International club" among other things. I just don't get the impression that the lad is all in with Ireland. If he has an attachment to the country that is strong enough that he wants to play for us - and he knows he is wanted here - then he would have declared already imo. The fact that he hasn't asserted where his long-term future lies imo is, frankly, because he wants to see if he can make the grade in the PL or Championship and attract concrete interest from the England seniors or England U-21 set up.

Coincidentally, I just seen this this morning. http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/martin-oneill-in-search-for-the-next-andy-townsend-30462280.html

I would be astonished if Patrick Bamford or Harry Kane declared at this juncture. Redmond is no better than McGeady, McClean, Brady, Pilkington and Quinn. McGoldrick is a good bit older, lower profile and has already asserted that he wants to play for Ireland so I'm not sure why the article implies we are awaiting an answer from him.

I will never understand why people seem to want England's scraps. Fair enough about the early to mid-90's but it was a different time and we didn't have the depth of home grown players that we do now. The England national team is as poor as it's been in a long time. If a player is not on their radar, I don't know how they are supposed to make a dent in our fortunes but the more, the merrier I suppose?

Charlie Darwin
27/07/2014, 3:15 PM
I will never understand why people seem to want England's scraps. Fair enough about the early to mid-90's but it was a different time and we didn't have the depth of home grown players that we do now. The England national team is as poor as it's been in a long time. If a player is not on their radar, I don't know how they are supposed to make a dent in our fortunes but the more, the merrier I suppose?
I think the answer's in the article: it worked before, so people think it will work again without acknowledging that vastly different circumstances. I even read an article recently that put our recent lack of success down to the FAI's refusal to invoke the granny rule, as if we ever stopped. It does come across as achingly desperate. If they're going to try and bring in granny rule players, I'd rather they conducted the business in private.

Stuttgart88
27/07/2014, 3:30 PM
There was even a piece on thescore.ie by a Cork academic saying our reduced use of the granny rule fits perfectly with our decline down the rankings.

I think the 90s was an anomaly. We're not likely to have an Aldridge or Townsend again, players who were of genuine international quality but who had slipped both through England's net and our own underage net. I'd love a Seamus McDonough to pop up, but it ain't likely.

There are lots of non-Irish born players in all our squads. The granny rule is still being used, there just aren't that many good enough players who'd make a difference and who'd care enough to play for us.

Randolph would be no loss in my opinion. I don't rate him at all. He'd be deluded to think he'd make an impact in the US set up though.

Stuttgart88
27/07/2014, 3:32 PM
I agree with the second half of TOWK's post. The first part I think is a bit speculative still, though probably not far off the reality, but at least it's only TOWK calling it as he sees it rather than claiming its a disgrace, or whatever.

DannyInvincible
27/07/2014, 8:43 PM
More than anything, it was Jack's comments about supporting England and not Ireland at Euro 2012 that didn't sit right with me. I believe he said something patronising and transparent to the effect that he supports England senior team and Ireland youth teams?! Whatever his opinion - he's entitled to it - he should refrain from saying such daft things in a public forum. I'm also skeptical about some of his brother's posts on VillaTalk - such as referring to Ireland as his "International club" among other things. I just don't get the impression that the lad is all in with Ireland. If he has an attachment to the country that is strong enough that he wants to play for us - and he knows he is wanted here - then he would have declared already imo. The fact that he hasn't asserted where his long-term future lies imo is, frankly, because he wants to see if he can make the grade in the PL or Championship and attract concrete interest from the England seniors or England U-21 set up.

I've responded to this here (http://foot.ie/threads/148358-Jack-Grealish?p=1768829&viewfull=1#post1768829) in the Jack Grealish thread.

Stuttgart88
30/09/2014, 8:27 PM
Randolph with a brain fart dash off his line to cost Brum a goal at Millwall.

Charlie Darwin
30/09/2014, 10:41 PM
Another clean sheet for Stephen Henderson tonight against Norwich too. 4 clean sheets in 9 games and only 6 goals conceded overall, should have Randolph looking over his shoulder.

nigel-harps1954
01/10/2014, 8:32 AM
Never really rated Randolph and he is awfully prone to a few shockers now and again. Henderson is surely a better option for the squad at the minute?

Kingdom
01/10/2014, 10:17 AM
That article that TOWK refers to, and specifically the bit about the Germans and their assimilation of non-German born players into the squads. In relation to Poldi und Klose, both of these guys were born in very Germanic areas of Poland, you could just about stretch to say their the equivalent of being born in Derry or Armagh if they were Irish. Both of their fathers were confirmed Aussiedier's, again similar to the GFA.
Also in Poldi's case, his family moved to Germany when he was very young, so not only did he feel GErman, he actually contributed to German society in Germany before being selected for the various national teams.

The German example O'Neill references is a poor one, for a smart man, considering the more obvious one would be the reverse of that trend in Germany, whereby German born Turks, such as Basturk (remember him) declaring for Turkey, even though his parents were also German born Turks, making him a 3G effectively.

DannyInvincible
25/10/2014, 11:47 PM
Randolph conceded eight goals today as Birmingham lost 8-0 to Bournemouth. The score-line matched the club's record defeat.

tetsujin1979
01/11/2014, 12:47 PM
Watching Wolves - Birmingham on Sky, and Randolph is keeping City in it. Their defence is absolutely horrific, if Wolves had a better striker they'd be well ahead in this.

TheOneWhoKnocks
01/11/2014, 12:55 PM
Looks like Stutts owes someone an apology.

tetsujin1979
01/11/2014, 1:07 PM
Randolph awarded MOTM, was only half paying attention to the end of the game, think the commentator said it was his first clean sheet in thirteen games

<EDIT>

stat was repeated at the end of the game - it's only the second clean sheet for Birmingham in 32 (thirty-two!!) games

Closed Account
01/11/2014, 1:10 PM
??? I'm sure there is method to your madness but you're going to have to explain this one to me. (hungover and synapses not firing)

Charlie Darwin
01/11/2014, 1:39 PM
??? I'm sure there is method to your madness but you're going to have to explain this one to me. (hungover and synapses not firing)
Stutts doesn't rate Randolph.

Closed Account
01/11/2014, 1:52 PM
Stutts doesn't rate Randolph.
Ah, that was pretty straight forward. But who does he have to apologise to? Darren?

TheOneWhoKnocks
01/11/2014, 1:55 PM
It was a joke, joe. Don't read so much into it.

Stuttgart88
01/11/2014, 2:02 PM
No, credit where it's due. If he plays well fair dos to him. I have been watching Randolph ever since Sean McCaffrey said he had everything you want in a keeper but I have been expecting this top quality keeper to emerge since then and ever since I have been disappointed. A howler at Turners Cross against England U21s, beaten at near post, taking a step sideways just before a free is taken, basic stuff often. His error on the last day of last season was every bit as bad as Keogh's at Wembley but only a late comeback prevented it being an error that got his team relegated.

Unless I missed some humour or sarcasm in your post I'd say I owe Randolph an apology every bit as much as you owed Keogh one when he was MOTM for Derby last season.

I have no axe to grind against Randolph. I'd love to see him step up a gear and I'd love to see him prove me wrong but I think he is error prone and subject to questionable judgment based on nearly a decade of watching him, not one game.

Colin Doyle should have been a great keeper too, but I'd observe similar failings.

Edit: I did miss the humour, or at least I suspected it was there but couldn't be sure. Point taken / joke taken :)

Closed Account
01/11/2014, 2:07 PM
It was a joke, joe. Don't read so much into it.
:) Only fecking with ya.

TheOneWhoKnocks
01/11/2014, 5:00 PM
When Keogh was MOTM last season? He was MOTM 46 times? :p

Derby had the best goalscoring record in the division last season and the worst defensive record of the top 6 teams - the latter, ultimately, the difference between promotion. I'd say their attacking players won a fair few of those MOTM awards.

Stuttgart88
02/11/2014, 9:19 AM
There was one televised game late in the season when Keogh was MOTM, no?

I didn't pay much attention to him earlier in the season because you don't been so vocal about him.

TheOneWhoKnocks
22/12/2014, 5:28 PM
Stuttgart's bete noire is attracting interest from Premier League clubs as he runs down contract at Birmingham.

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer/news/11694/9617285/transfer-news-gary-rowett-wants-to-extend-darren-randolphs-birmingham-contract

OwlsFan
22/12/2014, 5:35 PM
Stuttgart's bete noire is attracting interest from Premier League clubs as he runs down contract at Birmingham.

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer/news/11694/9617285/transfer-news-gary-rowett-wants-to-extend-darren-randolphs-birmingham-contract

Who needs football feeds when we have TOWK.

Charlie Darwin
24/12/2014, 5:12 PM
Judging by the way he ran down his last two contracts to make a jump forward, I wouldn't bet on him signing a new Birmingham deal. Then again, they might end up being dark horses for promotion if they can maintain their current form.

TheOneWhoKnocks
24/04/2015, 2:21 PM
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-want-keep-jonathan-9106899

Premier League interest in "outstanding" Randolph.

DannyInvincible
22/05/2015, 6:58 PM
Randolph is finalising a move to a Premier League club as a free agent, according to Birmingham: http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/darren-randolph-birmingham-city-2453606.aspx

The Irish international was offered a new contract by Blues, but following lengthy negotiations he has declined it and is believed to be finalising a move to a Premier League side as a Bosman free agent.

Manager Gary Rowett revealed to bcfc.com: "Throughout the whole process we have been open and honest with one another, which is the way it should be.

"Unfortunately Darren has informed us he will be leaving and naturally we are sorry to see him go.

"He has been an excellent player for us, an integral part of the team that finished tenth this season.

"Success breeds success and players do get other opportunities put before them which they feel they have to take.

"Darren leaves with our very best wishes and our thanks for his contribution.

"As a Club we now move on and we look elsewhere.

TheOneWhoKnocks
29/05/2015, 3:15 PM
The best Irish goalkeeper in the Championship according to Opta.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-blog-gary-rowett-9327676

samhaydenjr
30/05/2015, 2:55 AM
The best Irish goalkeeper in the Championship according to Opta.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-blog-gary-rowett-9327676

That's very interesting, considering he had a few really difficult games. That said, 11 clean sheets is not to be sniffed at (including Birmingham's final 3) so it will be interesting to see where he goes next season, as a free agent. Is it possible that he will leapfrog David Forde in the line next season?

TheOneWhoKnocks
30/05/2015, 12:52 PM
http://www.eppingforestguardian.co.uk/sport/12981210.Jack_Sullivan_announces_Randolph_capture/

Signing for West Ham.

nigel-harps1954
30/05/2015, 1:01 PM
Great, another goalkeeper sitting on the bench for a Premier Division club.

tetsujin1979
30/05/2015, 1:04 PM
probably as a replacement for Jussi Jääskeläinen, he was released by West Ham
Strange that they're signing players without an appointed manager

TheOneWhoKnocks
30/05/2015, 1:05 PM
It will be a relatively close run thing. Randolph has a much higher profile than Henderson, Murphy or Logan. Adrian is a good goalkeeper though.

Charlie Darwin
30/05/2015, 1:33 PM
Adrian can be overcome. I'm always wary about players signing for clubs without managers though.

TheOneWhoKnocks
02/07/2015, 5:06 PM
Somewhere in a dark, dingy bar, a man sits on a stool reading a newspaper and smoking a cigar. He's nursing a Jack Daniels, straight, no ice. The man is waiting for an associate. He look at his watch. "10:45" he grumbles to himself. His associate is late. He doesn't like being kept waiting. "This better be good news" he says to himself and chuckles. The bartender catches his gaze while wiping the counter. "What're you looking at"? The bartender quickly averts his gaze.

The associate enters the smoky haze of the bar and climbs in the seat next to the mysterious man. "B-b-bad n-n-news buh-boss". He slaps the newspaper on the counter. "The Irish Examiner" the mysterious man grumbles. "This is what youse kept me waiting for"?

"Go to p-p-page 42, Stutts" the associate trembles.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/darren-randolph-takes-scenic-route-to-the-top-340304.html

Darren Randolph earmarked as long-term successor to Shay Given in goal for Ireland

The mysterious man slams his fist on the bar. "That kid is no good I tells ya"!

Stuttgart88
02/07/2015, 7:34 PM
Very funny! Still, he frustrates me. He should be brilliant but sometimes just lets soft goals in, including some really poor ones, and I don't see him being consistently good enough. I'd love him to prove me wrong.

I've had my doubts about him since he made a howler against England U21s at Turners Cross. He had a poor SFA Cup Final making the classic mistake of taking a step sideways just before a direct free, which went in just where he had moved from. I thought he was beaten too easily for Ireland against both Oman and (especially) Spain and I thought he got away with murder in the last game of the season before last, an error nearly getting Brum relegated. I think his decision making is a bit suspect too. Just saying...