PDA

View Full Version : Is the Setanta Cup a big thing up there ??

A face
29/09/2004, 12:03 AM
Is the Setanta Cup as big a deal up there as it is down here. It'll be very good competition to get into for any club.

Stanley Chan
29/09/2004, 11:18 PM
Yeah it really is, especially for the 3 clubs taking part. I was wondering what the interest in the South was like!

Though worringly, apparentally the marketing man of Setanta hasnt heard anything about the whole competition!

ccfcman
30/09/2004, 12:17 PM
Is it a big thing down south a face?

paudie
30/09/2004, 2:52 PM
After the initial announcement of the competition the coverage has died down a bit but only cos the season is coming to a climax and the Setanta cup is a good bit away yet.

It would help if the FAI announced definite dates for the competition as this would raise its profile again.

There was a huge welcome for it down here and when the matches start there will be massive interest in them.

However I'm just waiting for the first negative publicity, proboably Emmett Malone saying "don't know about this, too big of a security risk etc".

Sheridan
30/09/2004, 3:59 PM
Speaking of the Setanta Cup, I came across this piece of old news from the summer of 2000 here (http://www.groundtastic.ukgateway.net/News/EI21.htm) recently, quite by concidence.

SUPER 8

The proposed all-Ireland midweek competition looks likely to go ahead with the top four clubs from the Eircom League and the Smirnoff Irish League competing for a total prize fund of £400,000. The games will be staged fortnightly with only four venues being used. These are Windsor Park and Coleraine’s Showgrounds in the North and Lansdowne Road and Cork’s Turners Cross ground in the Republic. Both club grounds will qualify for grants from their respective Governments for further improvements.

Can't say I remember such a tournament being mooted, but it sounds remarkably similar to the Setanta Cup.

A face
30/09/2004, 4:38 PM
Is it a big thing down south a face?

With that much money it would want to be :D

Actually would have been better to have the FAI cup winners, League Cup winners and top two in the league going for it but c'est la vie !!

Stanley Chan
01/10/2004, 3:46 PM
Was at a meeting with our Board of Directors last night, the issue was brought up about the Sentanta Cup, and although the Glens are looking forward to playing in it, the response I got from the Chairman was unsure whether it would actually take place!

I really do hope it does, as it will be great for football North and South!

paudie
05/10/2004, 2:28 PM
Having made a big deal of launching the competition the FAI would look even more incompetent than usual if it didn't come to fruition.

My understanding is that the FAI are responsible for running it with the assistance/cooperation of the Irish league and IFA.

If Setanta TV didn't come through with the sponsorship money the competition would be in big trouble.

Knoert
06/10/2004, 1:18 PM
Is this new cup only to give the clubs' financial situations a boost, together with some more tougher competition? Or can there also be earnt a European spot or something?

Sheridan
06/10/2004, 1:21 PM
Is this new cup only to give the clubs' financial situations a boost, together with some more tougher competition? Or can there also be earnt a European spot or something?
It's seen mainly as an intriguing addition to the calendar, and a means of reinvigorating the game throughout the island. The games will be broadcast live on TV (a rare event in Ireland, on both sides of the border) and the prize money at stake is considerable.

There are no European spots available, UEFA has made it clear that All-Ireland competitions cannot be used as a means of qualification for Europe unless/until the two governing bodies merge.

Schumi
06/10/2004, 1:38 PM
All the competing teams will have qualified for Europe anyway.

thecorner
07/10/2004, 9:29 AM
It's seen mainly as an intriguing addition to the calendar, and a means of reinvigorating the game throughout the island. The games will be broadcast live on TV (a rare event in Ireland, on both sides of the border) and the prize money at stake is considerable.

There are no European spots available, UEFA has made it clear that All-Ireland competitions cannot be used as a means of qualification for Europe unless/until the two governing bodies merge.

dont you be worrying about this cup sheridan ;)

Sheridan
07/10/2004, 12:12 PM
dont you be worrying about this cup sheridan ;)
Good news, you can stop being a bell-end because you're on ignore.

";)"

gufcfan
12/10/2004, 5:37 PM
I found this at eleven-a-side.com

August 4, 2004

The FAI and the IFA, the governing bodies for football on either side of the Irish border, have announced details of the newly-formed All-Ireland competition, to be known from the outset as the Setanta Cup, which will take place for the first time next April.

The tournament will include three teams from each jurisdiction: the respective Cup winners on either side of the border in addition to the top two sides in both the eircom League and the Irish League.

To be played on a round-robin, home-and-away basis in two groups of three teams, the Setanta Cup will be given extensive live television coverage on the sponsor’s satellite station, and will come down to a decider between the winners of each group.

In a statement, FAI Chief Executive Officer Fran Rooney said: "The Setanta Cup is a significant development for both the Football Association of Ireland and the Irish Football Association and a tremendous opportunity for our respective League Clubs.

"We have always enjoyed a great working relationship with the Irish Football Association and I am confident that this relationship will be further strengthened through the Setanta Cup.

"This Tournament will be of great benefit to the respective League Clubs as they prepare for European Competition and I am sure that the games will also be enjoyable for the fans."

Jim Boyce, the President of the IFA, said: "This certainly is the biggest ever Tournament North or South, it has attracted great sponsorship and I am confident that huge crowds will flock to see these games."