PDA

View Full Version : Pedretti now out!

eirebhoy
28/09/2004, 5:03 PM
Olympique Marseille midfielder Benoit Pedretti, who started France’s 2-0 victory over the Faroe Islands earlier this month, will sit out next week’s World Cup clashes with the Republic of Ireland and Cyprus after picking up a knee injury on club duty at the weekend.

The 23-year-old, who has won 17 caps for Les Bleus, was preferred to Chelsea’s Claude Makelele in the engine-room for the meeting with the Faroes in Torshavn three weeks ago.

However, he must undergo an operation to repair cartilage damage on Wednesday, ruling him out for up to five weeks.

The news is a major blow to under-fire France boss Raymond Domenech, who, after losing several established stars after taking over from Jacques Santini after Euro 2004, has now watched the engine-room ripped out of his team.

The summer retirements of Marcel Desailly, Zinedine Zidane, Bixente Lizarazu and Lilian Thuram robbed him of a wealth of experience, and he will now be without three first choice midfielders for the clashes with Brian Kerr’s Ireland and the subsequent trip to Cyprus.

Arsenal star Patrick Vieira is unavailable for next week’s encounter after being sent off against the Faroes, while Chelsea’s Makelele announced his retirement from international football after being dropped for that game.

With Pedretti, the heir-apparent for a place in the middle sector, also ruled out, it leaves the Group 4 favourites without the three players who have filled the central midfield roles in France’s two qualifiers to date.

"This is annoying because those two matches will be very important," said the Marseilles man. “It is a huge disappointment but I can’t do anything. This injury comes when I feel at my best and I am disappointed.”

Who do they have for the centre now? Dacourt, Dharasoo...? Rothen is supposedly rated doubtful too.

concanta
28/09/2004, 5:23 PM
This is our chance - we have to take it.

Eh Weh
28/09/2004, 6:05 PM
Yeah, this is our chance, i mean how much better can it get?!!!!!!!!! Kerr has to pick a team and formation thatll have a go at them, screw going for the draw! A win in Paris would put us in pole position, a draw would be positive to, but weve got to go for the win.

TerryPhelan
29/09/2004, 10:15 AM
Who do they have for the centre now? Dacourt, Dharasoo...? Rothen is supposedly rated doubtful too.

Don't forget Giuly. He's been playing a wide role for Barca this season but spent most of his time with Monaco as an attacking central midfielder, and he could really hurt us. Great news though!

Stuttgart88
29/09/2004, 10:58 AM
It's because of Giuly that I'd like to see Finnan play RM infront of Carr at RB. I'd be afraid of Reid being exposed in Paris and although Finnan doesn't have Reid's flair, his inclusion would allow carr to get forward more.

Anyway, as always, let's wait & see who's fit for us on Monday morning. Here's hoping Duff gets dropped and Keane is rested again!

Is the squad announced today?

eirebhoy
29/09/2004, 12:54 PM
Don't forget Giuly. He's been playing a wide role for Barca this season but spent most of his time with Monaco as an attacking central midfielder, and he could really hurt us. Great news though!
If Giuly plays in the centre then Pires and Rothen will play the wings and I don't think Domenech will play those 3 in the one team. It would be like us playing Duff-Keane-Reid-Partridge (he's the only really attacking winger I can think of TBH). There would be no cover on the back 4. Maybe he will play 5 in midfield but given the absentee's I doubt it.

eirebhoy
29/09/2004, 2:13 PM
I'm suprised there is so little interest in this thread. Pedretti was an absolute certainty to start. It would be like us without, em... O'Brien (I know its different positions and all...).

Stuttgart88
29/09/2004, 2:19 PM
I think it's great that they appear to be struggling in terms of personnel. However, it could be a long 5 days waiting on how our guys fare in terms of injuries so I'm not getting worked up over it yet.

Only Clinton Morrison & Miller are unlikely to be playing before Paris. Duff might have two games.

inexile
29/09/2004, 2:19 PM
yeah there is great hopes for Pedretti both for his national team and at club level i have seen bits and pieces of him here and there with Eurosport and he does look like he has the touch of class thats needed also has that nasty streak which i personally love to see in central midfielders

TheJamaicanP.M.
29/09/2004, 7:11 PM
It's because of Giuly that I'd like to see Finnan play RM infront of Carr at RB. I'd be afraid of Reid being exposed in Paris and although Finnan doesn't have Reid's flair, his inclusion would allow carr to get forward more.

Agree with you 100%. If we play a solid, experienced formation, I think we can take at least a point from Paris. This is too big of a game for Reid. He's out of favour with his club whereas Finnan is playing very well.

I do feel that some supporters are getting a little carried away however. It's a long time since we've conquered one of the big European nations on their own patch in a competitive game. Maybe the last time we did so was against Scotland in 1987. The French are formidable opposition even without certain personnel.

eirebhoy
29/09/2004, 9:46 PM
It's because of Giuly that I'd like to see Finnan play RM infront of Carr at RB.
I don't know if you got mixed up with your left and right but Giuly will be playing on the opposite side of the pitch than Carr. :)

Stuttgart88
30/09/2004, 7:14 AM
Opps. I thought Giuly was predominantly left sided. No?

Anyway, I'd still go with Finnan!

inexile
30/09/2004, 8:14 AM
I agree entirely with the realism provided Jamaican PM its been a long time since Ireland got a good away results and for all the French reserves! going to be playing, if they were Irish most of them would be first on the team sheet, I am optimistic about getting a positive result but i will be won by pure heart grit and determination with every player playing out of his skin not because paddy v is injured or the retirements from the french squad, its all down to how we perform