PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Bamford (F Leeds b.1993)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

gastric
11/04/2013, 7:21 AM
It will be interesting to watch this tug of war develop. Can anyone tell us how good this guy is?
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fai-to-fight-england-for-blues-starlet-bamford-29188792.html

tricky_colour
12/04/2013, 2:16 AM
Don't seem likely he would switch back to Ireland after have switched to England IMO.
No idea how good he is, had a look at the MK dons forum and seems to be well thought
of, a mention of him being in the league 1 team of the week, a few mentions of him
being greedy on the negative side but usually positive comments, but only had a brief look though.

SkStu
14/12/2013, 2:56 PM
Goal!
Goal! Wolverhampton Wanderers 0, MK Dons 1. Patrick Bamford (MK Dons) right footed shot from the right side of the six yard box to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Samir Carruthers.

CraftyToePoke
31/12/2013, 10:13 PM
Looks like he is well thought of enough to step up a level, and to a Derby side presently in an automatic promotion spot too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25560530

Crosby87
01/01/2014, 12:46 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvqkAIvTdVAfNKDCkdBRypIqXHTTZQ-Rq2c5a2yg88jxrLqOpo
Looks tired, at least then.

CraftyToePoke
06/01/2014, 2:22 PM
Gone to Derby
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25560530

CraftyToePoke
19/01/2014, 4:28 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25692319

Edges a tight game for his new side.

DeLorean
19/01/2014, 10:11 AM
Massive goal, not too keen on the picture they chose though!

TheOneWhoKnocks
19/01/2014, 11:45 AM
Massive goal, not too keen on the picture they chose though!

He is English and has declared for England in fairness.

DeLorean
19/01/2014, 8:03 PM
I know, that's really the bit I'm not impressed with :)

SkStu
19/01/2014, 10:15 PM
We should probably just ignore him from now on. That'll learn him.

DeLorean
25/01/2014, 8:10 PM
Another crucial goal today...

Oh Bammy Bammy, he used to be Irish but he's English now!! :(

TheOneWhoKnocks
25/01/2014, 8:34 PM
Another crucial goal today...

Oh Bammy Bammy, he used to be Irish but he's English now!! :(

It's kind of a catch 22. If he fulfills his ambitions of playing Premier League football for Chelsea, then he will play for England. If he doesn't fulfill his potential and becomes a mainstay of the Championship, then he will probably declare for "the country" aged 25 or 26.

Paddy Garcia
25/01/2014, 8:47 PM
Go on Keano show us what you are made of ................

BonnieShels
28/01/2014, 8:35 PM
That's not really a catch 22 at all!

TheOneWhoKnocks
28/01/2014, 9:09 PM

Kinda. If he plays for us then he won't have fulfilled his aspirations of playing for one of the biggest teams in the world.

Another goal tonight by the way.

geysir
28/01/2014, 9:10 PM
Catch 22 is a dilemma with a no win choice?
might be if he wanted to get picked for England but needed to get their attention.
In order to get their attention, he has to show he was good enough on the international stage. He declares for Ireland, the stepping stone strategy. He does well in a few friendlies but it's not a high profile game. He is then given a chance to play a big competitive game, if he impresses he will surely get their attention, but at the same time, by playing he will rule himself out.

BonnieShels
28/01/2014, 9:27 PM
Catch 22 is a dilemma with a no win choice?
might be if he wanted to get picked for England but needed to get their attention.
In order to get their attention, he has to show he was good enough on the international stage. He declares for Ireland, the stepping stone strategy. He does well in a few friendlies but it's not a high profile game. He is then given a chance to play a big competitive game, if he impresses he will surely get their attention, but at the same time, by playing he will rule himself out.

But that's for him. For us there is no choice... And that's what I refer to.

If he picks us whether at Chelsea or Accrington or York. I'm happy. If he picks England at Chelsea or Accrington or York he becomes an irrelevance.

BonnieShels
28/01/2014, 9:29 PM
Kinda. If he plays for us then he won't have fulfilled his aspirations of playing for one of the biggest teams in the world.

Another goal tonight by the way.

Playing for us should be the only aspiration for an eligible international footballer.

I invoke the Stuttgart Gut Instinct here.

If someone doesn't want to play for us (Michael Keane) or feels they aren't up to playing for us (Paddy McCourt) then fine. They become footnotes in the "what-if canon" along with Kevin Keegan and Martin Keown.

Crosby87
28/01/2014, 10:36 PM
And Ger Crossley.

Olé Olé
28/01/2014, 10:54 PM
He's an English U21 international now, get used to it the same way as Scots had to suck it up over McGeady/McCarthy.
This thread should really be closed, it's like holding out for an ex-girlfriend to come walking in the door and apologise for running off with a 55 year old multi-millionaire property tycoon - it ain't going to happen!

True enough, I guess. Altough, it reminds me of the Fabregas to United saga. It's come up a few times that the FAI are tracking/have been in contact with Bamford so there must be some indication from his camp that he is mildly interested.

He'll end up like James Milner, I feel. His one cap at a young age for Ireland will be the needle in his haystack of England caps at various levels.

DannyInvincible
28/01/2014, 11:39 PM
And Ger Crossley.

Erm, Ger Crossley played for us at under-16, under-18 and under-21 levels. He never made any subsequent declaration for another association, so not sure of his relevance here.

tetsujin1979
28/01/2014, 11:43 PM
True enough, I guess. Altough, it reminds me of the Fabregas to United saga. It's come up a few times that the FAI are tracking/have been in contact with Bamford so there must be some indication from his camp that he is mildly interested.

He'll end up like James Milner, I feel. His one cap at a young age for Ireland will be the needle in his haystack of England caps at various levels.
Did Milner play for Ireland at any level? Not being smart or anything here, I don't follow you there.

BonnieShels
29/01/2014, 12:36 AM
Did Milner play for Ireland at any level? Not being smart or anything here, I don't follow you there.

I never heard of that. And I couldn't find anything when this was posted. He played U16 for England so I don't see how he would have played younger for us.

And given he grew up in Leeds he was ineligible for FAIS.

I didn't even consider an Irish connection to him. Anyone else?

Crosby87
29/01/2014, 12:47 AM
Nothing about Ireland is mentioned on his wiki page though it does say he has never had alcohol, even one time.
The plot thickens.

CraftyToePoke
29/01/2014, 7:48 PM
As I understood it he played U14's for us prior to going on to play for England.

Says so here too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Bucs/James_Milner

Olé Olé
29/01/2014, 10:13 PM

QED..

BonnieShels
29/01/2014, 10:47 PM
The links on those citations are borked.

QNED

CraftyToePoke
30/01/2014, 2:03 AM
http://foot.ie/threads/33900-James-Milner-called-into-English-Under-21-squad

Proves nothing I realise, but it has been discussed on here before, and I remember other talk on here about it too, maybe just after Trap took over, in the usual round up of maybes and possibles after a new manager comes in, which was prior to a full call up to England for Milner, all as yet untraceable though.

CraftyToePoke
30/01/2014, 2:15 AM
Deleted.

DeLorean
19/02/2014, 9:54 AM
Sensational goal for Derby last night. Apologies if we have totally given up on him.

DCFC.co.uk (http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/defence-is-the-best-form-of-attack-1368104.aspx)

On loan Chelsea striker Patrick Bamford lauded the Rams’ defensive display at Hillsborough, citing it as the ‘foundation the team built from’ in their 1-0 victory over Sheffield Wednesday.

The former MK Dons loanee proved the matchwinner in a tightly contested encounter, as the 20-year-old finished with aplomb from 25-yards in the 78th minute to secure the points.

Despite netting his fifth goal since joining the Rams until the end of the campaign, Bamford was keen to praise the side’s defensive unit in the win over the Owls – Derby’s second consecutive clean sheet.

He told Rams Player:“Starting with [Lee] Grant and the back four, if they keep being as solid as they have been, then it gives us license to do our stuff in the final third.

"I think it was all about focus and concentration. [Jake] Buxton and [Richard] Keogh were magnificent with their heading and I think that gave us the belief.

"We knew that if they remained focused at the back then we would get our chance. As long as we are solid at the back, it gives us a platform to build on and we have got the skill and quality in the forward positions to nick a goal.

"I think it was something like the 65th minute when the game slowed down and we actually had a bit of time to play the ball about.

"We know we didn’t play as well as we could of, but sometimes you have to do that when you come to hard places like this, you have just got to grind it out."

In the forward’s first interview with the Club after penning his temporary move to the iPro Stadium, Bamford said he had set himself the target of scoring 10 goals during his stay with the Rams, which he feels he is still very much on course to reach.

He added: “I have been quite confident with my goal scoring this season.

"When I first joined MK Dons I set a target of 15 and people laughed at me and said I would never get it, but I ended up with 17 goals by the time I left.

"If I keep pushing towards this target of 10 that I have set myself for Derby then I will be very happy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0DMQezlTpo

BonnieShels
29/11/2014, 3:47 PM
Scored for Middlesbrough v Blackburn

EDIT: Until he plays for the senior team we can hope.

TheOneWhoKnocks
29/11/2014, 3:54 PM
Yes. Let's hope he turns out to be not good enough for England but good enough for us.

samhaydenjr
29/11/2014, 8:27 PM
Yes. Let's hope he turns out to be not good enough for England but good enough for us.

Or, as I've stated earlier, let's try to sneakily convince him that he's not good enough for England but good enough for us (before it turns out he actually is good enough for England) :wink:. As in "Hey Patrick, look how well Harry Kane is doing - he's a star in the making" and "Wow, Patrick, Danny Welbeck is really turning his career around at Arsenal" and "I can't wait for Daniel Sturridge to return from injury - he really is an outstanding striker - don't you agree Patrick?" and follow it up with "Robbie Keane's imminent retirement from international football will leave a hole in the Irish strikeforce waiting to be filled by some talented and ambitious young forward with loose family connections to the country"

boovidge
30/11/2014, 4:26 AM
Bamford chose England over Ireland despite family calls (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough/11533057.Bamford_chose_England_over_Ireland_despit e_family_calls/)

The on loan Chelsea striker has scored twice since joining the Teessiders on a six-month loan deal, but his first taste of international football came in 2010 when he was selected to play for the Republic of Ireland Under-18s.
Soon after, Bamford, who qualifies to play for the Republic through his Irish grandparents, represented England Under-19sbut despite pressure to go back to his Irish roots the 21-year-old has his heart set on a prominent role for the Young Lions should they secure qualification.

(http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough/11533057.Bamford_chose_England_over_Ireland_despit e_family_calls/#)

“I started off with Ireland U17s but my aim was always to play for England,” Bamford said. “I finally got called up with the Under 21s, I was a bit disappointed not to be involved in the last one but hopefully, I will be in the running for the next squad (after being included in this one).
“It is still my aim to play for England but I have my Mum’s side of the family who are all Irish, and they are pushing me. But I think I am English and we will see what happens.

Stuttgart88
30/11/2014, 9:12 AM
Oh God, why did he have to say we will see what happens?!

ArdeeBhoy
30/11/2014, 9:28 AM
Why not?
All these kids seem the same in the main. And it could be years before a full cap in a competitive game...

DeLorean
30/11/2014, 10:58 AM
He seems to be very much an impact player, an eye for goal and massive confidence. He can be a bit of a passenger over ninety minutes. After a bright start, he lost his place at Derby last season, not really a good sign for a guy with ambitions of making it for Chelsea and England. People often say things like he's only 21, etc but most guys that make it have shown more by that age. My last sentence was very much off the cuff and could be brutally exposed to a basic level of scrutiny.

DannyInvincible
30/11/2014, 12:09 PM
People often say things like he's only 21, etc but most guys that make it have shown more by that age. My last sentence was very much off the cuff and could be brutally exposed to a basic level of scrutiny.

Exactly, don't forget the likes of late-blooming Keith Andrews! :p

Stuttgart88
30/11/2014, 12:33 PM
Why not?for fear of a TOWK outburst.

Charlie Darwin
30/11/2014, 12:45 PM
He seems to be very much an impact player, an eye for goal and massive confidence. He can be a bit of a passenger over ninety minutes. After a bright start, he lost his place at Derby last season, not really a good sign for a guy with ambitions of making it for Chelsea and England. People often say things like he's only 21, etc but most guys that make it have shown more by that age. My last sentence was very much off the cuff and could be brutally exposed to a basic level of scrutiny.
I see what you're doing. Writing him off to mask the disappointment. I like it.

BonnieShels
30/11/2014, 6:47 PM
Oh God, why did he have to say we will see what happens?!

Boovidge could do the decent thing and edit the post and delete the link as well.

nigel-harps1954
24/01/2015, 3:14 PM
Put Middlesborough 1-0 up away to Man City.

Charlie Darwin
24/01/2015, 3:23 PM
Boro are dicking around Man City.

DeLorean
21/04/2015, 4:11 PM
Patrick Bamford: I won’t rule out playing for Ireland (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/patrick-bamford-i-wont-rule-out-playing-for-ireland-31159774.html)

Highly-rated Chelsea striker Patrick Bamford - who was this week named as the Championship's player of the year on the back of his form on loan to Middlesbrough - says he could still declare for Ireland.

While the FAI and English FA are involved in a tug-of-war to secure the international future of Aston Villa youngster Jack Grealish, there is also a potential battle between England and Ireland over star forward Bamford.

Capped once at youth level by the Republic in 2010, Bamford has since appeared at U21 level for England but he has not closed the door on an Ireland career.

"My mum's side is Irish and my dad's side is English so it was a tough decision for me. Being English, it was always my dream to play for England, but I am not going to rule out either option," he told Talksport today.

Bamford is currently on loan with Middlesbrough and his 17 goals earned him the Championship Player of the Year award and he is determined to get back playing football with Premier League champions-elect Chelsea.

“Ever since I signed for Chelsea, It has been my dream [to pull on the Blue shirt],” added the former Nottingham Forest youngster, who cost the London club £1.5million in 2012,” he added.

“But it is a bridge I will cross when I go back to Chelsea in the summer. Depending on what happens at ‘Boro, it will be a discussion we have when the season is done and dusted.

“Jose has got to do his job with regards to winning the Premier League [before we talk].”

Interview here- (http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-england-under-21-star-patrick-bamford-refuses-rule-out-playing-ireland-senior) (Ireland bit is at 3:45, it's actually in response to being ask his opinion on advice he would give to Jack Grealish)

paul_oshea
21/04/2015, 4:33 PM
They're all coming out of the woodwork now :D

DeLorean
21/04/2015, 4:37 PM
He was very keen to point out that he's not ruling out either option, despite not even being asked! I think it was Stutts that said he seems like a bright chap, he definitely does. I suspect he'll wait and see if he gets a chance to impress with Chelsea, which would naturally lead to England recognition. Let's hope Jose sends him down to the Championship again and we'll swoop while he's feeling rejected and vulnerable, and tie his sorry ass against Gibraltar. Gibraltar does count, right?

DannyInvincible
22/04/2015, 11:21 PM
Gibraltar does count, right?

Hehe, I'd have to assume so; even though Gibraltar aren't FIFA-recognised, the UEFA qualifier games are still part of "official competition at 'A' international level".

Yard of Pace
24/04/2015, 12:54 AM
Personally, I'd like to see what he's like at Premiership level.

DeLorean
24/04/2015, 9:02 AM
Yeah but the better he performs the more sure it is he'll play or hold out for England. That might be debatable in Grealish's case, but it's concrete in this case. From an Ireland point of view we'd be better off he didn't set the world alight just yet, as needy and desperate as it sounds.