PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 .... Thoughts?

A face
08/04/2013, 11:51 PM
So what do you think of it? Have you got your head around the motive for all the changing around? Anyone know what the changes in licensing are, meant to be restrictive?

dahamsta
09/04/2013, 12:50 AM
I'll stick with 7 for a while thanks. I've enough going on in my life without another new GUI. :)

nigel-harps1954
09/04/2013, 1:32 PM
They'll do well to ever improve on XP if you ask me. It's only a pity now that support for XP is being phased out this coming year, which means I'll have to stick 7 back onto my desktop and look for alternatives for my music production sadly.

BonnieShels
09/04/2013, 1:41 PM
They'll do well to ever improve on XP if you ask me. It's only a pity now that support for XP is being phased out this coming year, which means I'll have to stick 7 back onto my desktop and look for alternatives for my music production sadly.

Getting 7 is proving to be a pain. Gonna root the DVD in shops over the weekend

dahamsta
09/04/2013, 2:18 PM
You can pick up 7 for next to nothing these days. There's a thread on Bargain Alerts on Boards.ie about a crowd that are selling OEM copies for small change at the moment.

BonnieShels
09/04/2013, 9:22 PM
You can pick up 7 for next to nothing these days. There's a thread on Bargain Alerts on Boards.ie about a crowd that are selling OEM copies for small change at the moment.

All gone unfortunately.

dahamsta
10/04/2013, 12:58 AM
Was gonna say Software4Students.ie, but they're all out too. Worth a phone call if you're a student though.

BonnieShels
10/04/2013, 1:01 AM
Ah it's grand. The issue I was having was sorted by strangeirish so I'm grand until the rebuild in the summer.

Dermotron
10/04/2013, 9:35 AM
Finally come around to preferring Win7 to XP. It's essentially the best of XP mixed with what Vista should have been.

Having used Win8 as a desktop I wouldn't recommend it for anyone without a touchscreen or a decent amount of i.t. or pc knowledge. It's essentially designed to make Microsoft relevant in the tablet and smartphone market. As a work tool it's dreadful unless you know how to reconfigure it - even though the amount of articles and tutorials available to do that are not in short supply.

Windows 8 is in essence Windows 7 with the additional options that make it tablet and smartphone friendly.

As with any Windows OS, if you are buying always buy at minimum the 'pro' version as the home versions are awfully restrictive.