PDA

View Full Version : Spain in June

Bungle
08/04/2013, 1:55 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0408/380333-ireland-to-face-spain-at-yankee-stadium-in-ny/

back of the net
08/04/2013, 2:00 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0408/380333-ireland-to-face-spain-at-yankee-stadium-in-ny/

A few days after the travesty of the Georgia home friendly ---- hopefully we can gain something out of this .

It does bode well for our younger ,untested players to be given a run out as cant see the senior lad heading to New york at end of season with the exception of Robbie of course

DeLorean
08/04/2013, 2:10 PM
That's a decent fixture in fairness and pretty much the perfect match for all of the Irish living in NY/NJ.

ArdeeBhoy
08/04/2013, 2:16 PM
Another complete mismatch beckons.
:(

Charlie Darwin
08/04/2013, 2:18 PM
1am kick off? Super.

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to facing the Spanish again after we gave them such a stern test the last time.

back of the net
08/04/2013, 2:22 PM
Another complete mismatch beckons.
:(

No need to write off spain so quickly

IsMiseSean
08/04/2013, 2:46 PM
1am kick off? Super.

Good practise for Brazil next summer ;)

Bungle
08/04/2013, 2:54 PM
I think we can only gain from this friendly if the likes of Brady, Pilkington and Hendrick et al play. Spain are one of the greatest, if not the greatest side of all time. It gives those lads the chance to test themselves against opponents of the calibre they haven't come up against before, bar Pilkington perhaps. In Pilkington's case, he could stake a claim for a place for the double header in September.

I would love Wilson, Coleman, Hoolahan, Meyler, McCarthy and Long to be very much part of the mix for these games as well. Might be nice if young Paddy Madden got a call up as well, even if it was only for the experience of being part of the squad.

Stuttgart88
08/04/2013, 3:00 PM
Hopefully we can keep them out for more than 3 minutes this time. I doubt the Spanish will play a full first XI. They must be running on empty by now.

ArdeeBhoy
08/04/2013, 3:01 PM
Their reserves would make more sense.

Charlie Darwin
08/04/2013, 3:06 PM
I'd imagine playing a fairly strong team would be part of the deal for Spain. Their FA makes its money by pimping out the international team for friendlies in exotic locations and the TV companies are going to want a strong team. It won't be the starting 11 but probably half of it, with players like Xavi and Pique alongside reserves like Reina and maybe someone like Michu.

nigel-harps1954
08/04/2013, 3:13 PM
If Barcelona reach the Champions League final you could all but rule out their whole contingent of players seeing as the final is only two weeks before the NY game.

ArdeeBhoy
08/04/2013, 3:19 PM
Why?

It'd be a walk in the park...

EastTerracer
08/04/2013, 3:36 PM
If Barcelona reach the Champions League final you could all but rule out their whole contingent of players seeing as the final is only two weeks before the NY game.

I think Spain are more likely to have a full-strength team than Ireland are. The Confederations Cup starts in Brazil on June 15th so this will be Spain's last warm-up game before that starts. Spain play Uruguay on June 16th in Recife (although their second game is against Tahiti so maybe they don't need too much practice).

Murfinator
08/04/2013, 5:07 PM

Real Madrid or Malaga (Isco) could be there as well so they'll probably take it handy with any of those guys who'd be involved in the confederations squad.
Disappointing fixture for fans to have a 1am kickoff on a Tuesday night, wonder how many mysterious injuries there'll be pulling out before this one like there was the last time we played a friendly in the US.

p2011
09/04/2013, 7:38 AM
I think we can only gain from this friendly if the likes of Brady, Pilkington and Hendrick et al play. Spain are one of the greatest, if not the greatest side of all time. It gives those lads the chance to test themselves against opponents of the calibre they haven't come up against before, bar Pilkington perhaps. In Pilkington's case, he could stake a claim for a place for the double header in September.

I would love Wilson, Coleman, Hoolahan, Meyler, McCarthy and Long to be very much part of the mix for these games as well. Might be nice if young Paddy Madden got a call up as well, even if it was only for the experience of being part of the squad.

Yes, I agree. All the names you mention, plus Hoolahan behind a mobile striker (Long). But we're forgetting something.... it could be a very useful friendly if we had a manager who makes any use of friendlies or tries things out in friendlies. Instead, we'll probably be faced with another failed attempt to prove that 4-4-2 plus the long ball is a useful approach against top sides.

DannyInvincible
09/04/2013, 8:54 AM
Disappointing fixture for fans to have a 1am kickoff on a Tuesday night, wonder how many mysterious injuries there'll be pulling out before this one like there was the last time we played a friendly in the US.

Potential chance of a second Lapira call-up?

BonnieShels
09/04/2013, 9:40 AM

Why so? Those who can make it will be there. Those who want to watch it will watch it. Can't see the issue with that at all.

My only concern is us getting a walloping.

paul_oshea
09/04/2013, 9:55 AM
I'm pretty tempted by this one, I need some new clothes (:D), I doubt many are heading out though?

BonnieShels
09/04/2013, 9:56 AM
I'm pretty tempted by this one, I need some new clothes (:D), I doubt many are heading out though?

I would have done this if it was announced earlier. Ah well. Here's hoping for something similar when I live in NA

paul_oshea
09/04/2013, 9:58 AM
Ya flights from ireland are about 700 euro, but you can get them here for around £450. its just the time off work I don't like missing.

BonnieShels
09/04/2013, 10:38 AM
Ya flights from ireland are about 700 euro, but you can get them here for around £450. its just the time off work I don't like missing.

This is already an incomprehensibly expensive summer. I think I will be bowing out gracefully. :)

Dodge
09/04/2013, 10:55 AM
Potential chance of a second Lapira call-up?

Speaking of that...

http://balls.ie/football/ireland-international-where-are-they-now-usa-friendly-lapira/

Eminence Grise
09/04/2013, 8:32 PM
I need some new clothes (:D)

So does Emperor Trapattoni...

Crosby87
09/04/2013, 10:31 PM
Well no snacks in Yankee Stadium if you do come. As repeated on twitter about 5 million times by people going there, there is a Subway Sandwich shop with a "5 dollar foot long" Banner. The cost in the stadium at that shop? Fifteen bucks. for the worst sandwich EVER.

IsMiseSean
10/04/2013, 2:55 PM
I might bring by own packed lunch and a flask of tea so...

SkStu
10/04/2013, 6:31 PM
Trying to plan this trip... ill be bringing a hang sangitch and a tin of fizzy pop.