PDA

View Full Version : Racial Abuse Claim

Trainee
03/04/2013, 2:20 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fai-probe-elding-racism-claim-29170497.html

THE FAI Disciplinary Control Unit have invited UCD and Sligo Rovers to provide more information after allegations that a racist comment was made towards Bit O'Red striker Anthony Elding in the Airtricity League meeting between the sides on Monday night.

Elding was fuming at the final whistle and his team-mate Danny Ventre later suggested on Twitter that the Englishman's performance had been affected by an "unacceptable" incident.

Referee Dave McKeon was informed of the player's complaint and mentioned it in his report to the league authorities. The match delegate was also made aware of the alleged incident.

Both UCD and Sligo have declined to comment on the matter, while the FAI's disciplinary wing are awaiting further clarity before deciding if they need to take action.

Elding joined Sligo this winter and scored in each of their opening five games before firing a blank against struggling UCD.

pineapple stu
03/04/2013, 2:39 PM
Uh-oh...

I'm assuming this relates to the off-the-ball incident which Elding was booked for.

brendy_éire
03/04/2013, 4:36 PM
Uh-oh...

I'm assuming this relates to the off-the-ball incident which Elding was booked for.

Implying that the allegation is being directed towards a player rather than a supporter?

SkStu
03/04/2013, 4:39 PM
Implying that the allegation is being directed towards a player rather than a supporter?

It was a player. I saw this incident mentioned elsewhere on here but can't find it again.

sligoman
03/04/2013, 4:42 PM
Implying that the allegation is being directed towards a player rather than a supporter?It involves Elding being abused by a UCD player yes. If you look at pictures from the game you'll see who the player is as Elding confronted him.

ATFC-1887
03/04/2013, 5:14 PM
http://www.sportsfile.com/id/737669/

PartySaint
03/04/2013, 6:10 PM
Must have called him a Honkey.

redarmyfaction
03/04/2013, 7:03 PM
I heard he called him a Tan which he interpreted in a racial rather than xenophobic way.

Straightstory
04/04/2013, 10:40 AM
I heard he called him a Tan which he interpreted in a racial rather than xenophobic way.

Certainly the most unusual 'racial' taunt I've come across in a while. Brings back nostalgic memories of the 1920s. Much bigger crowds at LOI matches then. Happy days...

NeverFeltBetter
04/04/2013, 10:49 AM

I didn't know people even used that as an insult today.

BonnieShels
04/04/2013, 11:34 AM
I didn't know people even used that as an insult today.

It's used more now in a less than serious way. I refer to most of my English mates as Tans. Though they don't get it.

Charlie Darwin
04/04/2013, 12:26 PM
Strange one. I wouldn't be able to tell you what race Elding was so I wouldn't be able to abuse him even if I tried. Even so, abusing an English person for their nationality is out of order.

Longfordian
04/04/2013, 12:43 PM
It's used more now in a less than serious way. I refer to most of my English mates as Tans. Though they don't get it.

They probably secretly think you're a bit racist.

El-Pietro
04/04/2013, 1:44 PM
Silly them, hes not racist, hes a xenophobe!

Longfordian
04/04/2013, 3:29 PM
That's the English for you..er hang on..

BonnieShels
04/04/2013, 3:38 PM

I'm not racist... but...

I do think the term "Tan" say, like "Blueshirt" has lost it's offensive undertones somewhat. And I also think they are colloquial enough that the likes of Elding could never have heard them before and would assume that it was a racial slur.

Eg. I once said to a mate of mine, of this forum and now living in London that I would "murder a sambo" and he nearly choked. I just wanted a sandwich. I had never heard the term "sambo" as a racist slur before.