PDA

View Full Version : Possible match fixing

hollocaine
02/04/2013, 10:17 PM
Well this is disappointing. From ltfc.ie:

"Longford Town FC wish to inform their supporters that the Club is in receipt of information with regard to a Longford Town player's possible involvement in activities which could be construed as conspiring to influence the results of matches. As a result of this information received Longford Town FC is obliged to notify the relevant authorities and conduct an internal investigation into the matter. The internal investigation has commenced. Subsequently one player has been suspended by the Club while the investigation takes place.

The Club are compliant with all rules in this matter and will co-operate fully with any investigations."

With the good start to the season and a great comeback at the weekend, it's a pity something like this has happened. Looks like the club is on top of things though

fitzpatrick10
02/04/2013, 10:20 PM
player involved ?

Longfordian
02/04/2013, 10:22 PM
Sounds like someone had a bet on a match he shouldn't have. Can't imagine there'd be a lot of money for trying to throw a game. No point speculating who it is at the moment but it obviously wasn't anyone who was involved tonight.

Acornvilla
02/04/2013, 10:25 PM
Mod edit - I know it was a joke, but no names!

Cabs88
02/04/2013, 10:31 PM
Awful set of circumstances really is.. Very bad for the PR of a club trying to portray a good image of itself. Disappointing that such a charge be levelled at one of our players. Lets hope the club gets to the bottom of this..

L.T.F.C.
02/04/2013, 10:33 PM
We've been odds on to win most games, can't imagine there would be alot to win on going with us.
It is easier to fix corners or the cards index... Any idea of player?

Macy
02/04/2013, 10:39 PM
No names please, not even jokes

Longfordian
02/04/2013, 10:39 PM
It's not wise to name anyone if you don't want to be sued lads.

NeverFeltBetter
02/04/2013, 10:48 PM
Is it possible this player has just reported an attempt to influence him?

Macy
02/04/2013, 10:53 PM
Is it possible this player has just reported an attempt to influence him?
That's how mns on twitter appear to be reporting it anyway.

L.T.F.C.
02/04/2013, 10:59 PM
MNS reminded people of that alright. Not good.

Bosco
03/04/2013, 8:20 AM
Absolutely awful thing to happen,I suppose it is good to see the club reporting something like this but the bad press this creates will be huge,im sure half the people around the town are already claiming that the cobh game was fixed.

dahamsta
03/04/2013, 10:05 AM
ADMIN NOTE: Any names or hints posted here without evidence will result in a weeks suspension at the very least. Keep it factual or keep your trap shut. I've enough legal threats to be going on with for the moment thanks.

De Town
03/04/2013, 10:21 AM
PR disaster for the club, even if the player is found to be totally innocent.

L.T.F.C.
03/04/2013, 10:30 AM
ADMIN NOTE: Any names or hints posted here without evidence will result in a weeks suspension at the very least. Keep it factual or keep your trap shut. I've enough legal threats to be going on with for the moment thanks.

Ah we're sound lads... wouldn't do it to ye!

Acornvilla
03/04/2013, 11:33 AM
Judging by the wording and our results I'd say the lad hasn't tried to fix anything, we had ample chances to get a result against harps even with a bit more luck, and the rest of the games were comfortable enough wins. Not exactly iron clad logic I know, but generally if someones going to try and fix something he'd do a better job of it :D

outspoken
03/04/2013, 11:36 AM
Hopefully it is as MNS report but as said above this is a PR disaster and the longer it drags on and uncertainty remains the more and more I can see attendances being hit, all the team can do is keep winning and stayed focused because Saturdays game is way too important.

fitzpatrick10
03/04/2013, 12:21 PM
no reason why it wasent last years games

Bosco
03/04/2013, 12:29 PM
Exactly yeah...there was a few very questionable results at the end of last season..

nigel-harps1954
03/04/2013, 1:30 PM
You know when they say, "any publicity is good publicity"...

NeverFeltBetter
03/04/2013, 1:34 PM
Huh? What results?

L.T.F.C.
03/04/2013, 2:40 PM
A two one home loss against Salthill would be one that sticks out.

Longfordian
03/04/2013, 2:43 PM
The whole team were rubbish that night. You'd need more than one player to pull that off. I don't know the whole thing seems very odd. The bookies would be moaning and whining as soon as more than a few hundred goes on the game in total. How is it worth it?

Macy
03/04/2013, 2:54 PM
Ah ffs, some run of games that must have been fixed the tail end of last season, rather than poor form and no depth to the squad.

Seriously guys, can we not just let the investigation run, without anymore speculation? We don't actually know whether there was even an attempt by any player to fix anything!

NeverFeltBetter
03/04/2013, 3:00 PM
Longford were just generally awful at the end of last season. It wasn't down to one guy.

fitzpatrick10
03/04/2013, 5:34 PM
but shur even take for example last night anyone into betting would a fancied kevins at 12 /1 and they should of won, it seems as if no game result was fixed or at least at this stage they dont believe it was

Martinho II
03/04/2013, 6:37 PM
It is not good PR for sure but as the sayin goes innocent until proven guilty! for all you know as was said earlier the said player may ave being approached by a runner from the bookies and reported this to the authorities ie Longford Town Fc . We are obliged to suspend him until the investigation is complete. So whoever it is may be in the clear once everything is wrapped up. If the worse scenario happens thats a different matter altogther.
We all saw what happened with the bray forum just keep it clean and dont post anything on a public forum otherwise you could be sued for slander if that person is found not guilty. If you want to speculate just do it in other ways that is safer.
Hopefully the investigation is wrapped up soon and if the player is innocent the culprits that approached him would be caught and severely reprimanded by the authorities.

L.T.F.C.
13/04/2013, 1:57 AM
Any update on this?

Martinho II
13/04/2013, 6:51 PM
Any update on this?

nothing when asked by one of the papers durin the last wk the club and FAI refused to comment as still in progress.

L.T.F.C.
13/04/2013, 11:19 PM
It hardly takes this long.

Martinho II
14/04/2013, 8:23 PM
to the best of my knowledge it does. i read somewhere that the fai need outside assistance so no doubt UEFA were consulted.

Keen2win
14/04/2013, 9:00 PM

Probably does in fairness

NeverFeltBetter
14/04/2013, 9:04 PM
More time does indicate more to look into though.