PDA

View Full Version : High Performance Director good for LOI interests?

A face
13/03/2013, 1:55 PM
Ref: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/schoolboy-clubs-must-change-mindset-brady-29108586.html

Would-be installed Schoolboys High Performance Director could possibly undermine the efforts to develop young players in LOI?

I know that sounds alarmist but having read this article i think that this is a role that the FAI really need to get right because if its in the wrong hands i fear that any good prospect could be fast tracked out of Ireland and our league.

I dont know if Brady is touting himself for the role, and i'm not saying i would trust him or i wouldn't him but i think a huge element of this is Irish football as a whole, and yeah i know that right now there is a huge disconnect and its complete disjointed, with absolutely no structure to speak of*, but i think that if the wrong person is installed they could take advantage of that disconnect.

* Does anyone ever see the FAI in its current guise being able to sort this out?

MariborKev
13/03/2013, 2:20 PM
So are you suggesting we would be better off without one.......

A face
13/03/2013, 4:00 PM
So are you suggesting we would be better off without one.......

Not at all .... but being the sceptic i am i would vet any candidate thoroughly before appointing

Dodge
13/03/2013, 4:06 PM
Anything that raises the talent levels of Irish kids is good for the LOI. The cream will always go abroad. If the lads who stay here improve, how is that a bda thing?

MariborKev
13/03/2013, 6:52 PM
Not at all .... but being the sceptic i am i would vet any candidate thoroughly before appointing

And what criteria would you vet them on, bearing in mind the complexities of employment law?

Macy
14/03/2013, 12:49 PM
And what criteria would you vet them on, bearing in mind the complexities of employment law?
Not sure what the issue with the linked article is - imo a major problem with schoolboy football at the so called nursery clubs is the win at all costs mentality and how many players they get trials/ apprenticeships for.

However, why wouldn't it be a legitimate question to ask a candidate what course they see the best schoolboys take? There's a many options they may like to take - schoolboy club to UK, or schoolboy club to LoI to UK, or totally restructure irish football, essentially taking the schoolboy clubs out of the loop - and the FAI could legitimately ask them.