PDA

View Full Version : Dublin city 0-1 Cork City

adamcarr
23/09/2004, 6:57 PM
0-0
Fenn and Georgie are on the bench while Flynny is starting! :rolleyes: Hoggie is starting and Lordan hasnt even made the bench! Benno is not playing or on the bench! I suppose he is injured! :mad:

Line-Up
Devine, Murphy, D.Murray, O'Brien, J.O'Flynn, Woods, Doyle, Gamble, Horgan, Kearney.
Substitutions: Lopes, O'Callaghan, Fenn, O'Halloran, Behan.

joe
23/09/2004, 7:01 PM
0-0
Line-Up
Devine, Murphy, D.Murray, O'Brien, J.O'Flynn, Woods, Doyle, Gamble, Horgan, Kearney.

So we've decided to take them on with just ten men now, eh? I think you'll find that benno is playing centre-back alright

adamcarr
23/09/2004, 7:05 PM
So we've decided to take them on with just ten men now, eh?
I never noticed that! :o

jofyisgod
23/09/2004, 7:16 PM
WHAT! Why is Fenn, our most consistent performer of late, on the bench?! :mad:
Is Pat trying to rid City of their best players one by one. FENN and O'CALLAGHAN on the bench me ass!

jofyisgod
23/09/2004, 7:27 PM
If you go on www.newstalk106.ie now there is a live commo till the end of the half. He mentioned the city fans singing Georgie songs! :D

CHF are doing well though, i'd be getting a bit worried.

ollie
23/09/2004, 7:32 PM
we'll see how it goes first.after playing so badly lately i think a shake up is definitely needed though fenn on the bench does baffle me :confused:

SSS
23/09/2004, 7:38 PM
I think that Fenn and George in the same team has not worked for City (Europe aside) this season and that there is only room for one. The team is often not direct enough with them both in the side...but dropping both is a bit much.

Great to see Hoggie finally back - should have been in at least two games ago.

Neil
23/09/2004, 8:33 PM
Juan nil City!

Doyler!

El Rebel Army eh!

harry crumb
23/09/2004, 8:35 PM
We'll take that.

jofyisgod
23/09/2004, 8:37 PM
Can't be long left now-absolutely ecstatic!
On march the Rebel Army!

jofyisgod
23/09/2004, 8:40 PM
A Win!!!

1-0 Full Time!!

According to Newstalk, Pat Fenlon was at the game, and Pat had a 'public display' in the centre circle after the game-pure Dolan :p

Still, a win is a win-thank god.

adamcarr
23/09/2004, 8:40 PM
1-0 all over! At least we have 3 points! :)

Gary
23/09/2004, 8:41 PM
Just got a text from the ground. Flynny got taken off, and flung his boot at Dolan on the way off. He probably missed though!!!!

Relieved at the result. Hopefully that can be the spur for the rest of the season, starting with Shams next week.

Apparently Mr seery didnt take too kindly to some of the boys banter, and took them to task, making a tool of himself in the process.

Neil
23/09/2004, 8:42 PM
Whens the next game?

terry irish
23/09/2004, 8:43 PM
1-0 to city !!! Go on the REBEL ARMY

SSS
23/09/2004, 8:45 PM
Greg appears three minutes from time - maybe more symbolic by Dolan than anything else. He's back in the fold, for now anyway.

Updates on official site suggest that most chances came after George came on - match report will make interesting reading.

adamcarr
23/09/2004, 8:45 PM
. He probably missed though!!!!
Thats impossible!!!

boc123
23/09/2004, 9:08 PM
A win is a win, back on track at last!!

eoinh
23/09/2004, 9:19 PM
Did JOF really throw his boot at Pat. Sounds serious. At least we won i suppose.

thecorner
24/09/2004, 2:43 AM
was there..think it was aimed at him but at the moment he was sure to miss

UsherUsher
24/09/2004, 2:47 AM
was there..think it was aimed at him but at the moment he was sure to miss

Heh heh was there as well - at the time we were throwing abuse at the Dublin City Chairman and missed it - but surely this can't go on - Respect thy manager - even if he is taking you off

eastcork
24/09/2004, 7:45 AM
Well done to the lads and to Pat Dolan. Good result. Can it be left at that or will there be some lads still moaning...

Peadar
24/09/2004, 8:24 AM
Well done to the lads and to Pat Dolan. Good result. Can it be left at that or will there be some lads still moaning...

0-1 away to the worst team in the league!? Yeah, our worries are over, we're cruising again :rolleyes:

tiktok
24/09/2004, 8:41 AM
First off. Barry Ryan...Legend. :cool:

Deservedly awarded man of the match, one of the few players on the pitch to show any modicum of skill through the game and made a couple of very important claims and one outstanding stop from Doylers flick.

He got a load of stick, the majority of it good natured to be fair and took it all in his stride, even offering the occasional smile. Despite the slagging and the disappointment of losing after a late goal, he turned to applaud us at the end of the game. Top man.

To the game. Really important win, squeezed out in the end. It's not even worth commenting on the first half, brutal from both sides. Not to overstate his effect but Georgie's introduction changed the game. Up until the time he came on, we'd had spells of possession and were never in danger, but we were lacking any kind of spark up front, we played a few balls behind the back four for Doyle and Flynn to run onto, but Ryan was always quickly off his line.

Georgie got players around him moving, spread the ball wide and caused the DCFC defence a bit of hassle. It was his quick corner to Kearney that resulted in the cross for Doyle catching the DCFC defence napping.

DCFC didn't have a shot on goal, nevermind on target. We deserved it, but only based on the last twenty minutes. Few things to mention, the positives....

Flynny has come in for a lot of stick recently, but i thought he did well last night, looked sharper than he has in a while, and worked incredibly hard, I can't stress enough the effort he put in. His only mistake all night was not to lay the ball off to Geirgie for a certain goal.

Woods made more of his chance on the right than Nwankwo did last week.

It was good to have kearney back

Hoggy looked a little uncertain at times, but we kept a clean sheet, and he made a few stellar tackles.

The two Stewards behind the goal, top men, they helped diffuse what could have been an unneccessarily ugly seen after a DCFC official who I won't name decided to start flinging insults and abuse at what must have been 40% of his total gate on the night.

the negatives...

I've given them as much positive spin on here as I could, but DCFC bring nothing to the league, Roddy, the new signings, the recent good results and let's face it, the chance of a win last night still didn't get anyone into Tolka.

Georgie or Fenn have to start, there's not enough creativity without them

Ozymandias
24/09/2004, 8:46 AM
good report tiktok

vssn
24/09/2004, 8:46 AM
Fairly poor game, few chances for either side. City only got going following Georgies introduction. Doyler and JOF worked well up front, JOF really needs a goal soon. Great City support as per usual - plenty of grief for Barry 'takes it up the nose' Ryan. A win is a win, hopefully the turning point, still believe we can claim second spot.

Used2BHibs Fan
24/09/2004, 9:14 AM
Agree with TicTok on the report but think it was one of the worst games watched (well since the Bohs match last week) in a long time.

City are STALE - they have no spark and the team that started the season so well and now a shadow of themselves. There are more questions that can be asked and I don't know the answers but then I don't get paid to Manage/Play for City. Against Dublin City who are almost guarenteed to drop out of site this year we were lucky to get a win. Putting the 2 most creative players on the bench (George & Fenn - just in case Dolan is reading this and does not know who the 2 are) was very strange but then they may have been injured or some other reason. Last time we played DC in the X - it was 1 all and we were haunted to get a draw , time before that we beat them 1 nil with a slightly better performance but taken into account they are the worst team in the league not really good enough.

Where is the leadership in the team ?
What is Dolan doing about getting them motivated ?
Why do we pull everyone back into our own half when the opposition get a corner ?
Why are people brought on when the 90 minutes have passed or with 2 minutes to go ?

With the remaining matches in the league I would suggest that Dolan takes a look at the teams that we are playing and picks a team to do a job at each match.

Stop picking the same 11 players based on who is available - some days you need to have Greg running around kicking people (like Bohs, Shels) , some days Liam Kearney will light up a match some days he should not be on the bench. We need to play different teams so that other teams don't know what to expect - the players should be able to deal with the squad system and get over the fact that they are not going to start every week..............
What have we got to loose ???

fella
24/09/2004, 9:19 AM
Lads,
I was standing alongside the dug out and John didn't throw his boot at anyone but rather just flung it at the dug out seat that he was going into after he came off with what looked like a minor injury. I presume this was in frustration at either at the injury itself or at things not going his way on the night - in fairness to him though he never stopped working and his attitude was first class the whole way through.
In relation to Greg I wouldn't read too much into him getting a run if John hadn't picked up the knock I don't think he would have got on - as it was Dolan just wanted an extra defender in there with close out the last 2-3mins.
Other points on last night:

Kearney was absolutly cat - did very little and several times gave Danny no option when Danny came forward with the ball - he certainly deserves some bench time. Great cross for the goal but tbh we were due one and it will probably mean he'll undeservingly keep his place.

Woodsie - showed again that he's simply past it - at this stage probably doesn't deserve to even be on the bench.

Mick - Grand overall one good stop - little else to do.

Hoggie - great to see him back, although a little rusty - he's worth ten Lordans and with a few games under his belt I'm sure he'll be as sharp as ever - I thought he did really well last night for his first game back.

Benno & Murray - Both defended very well Dan's distribution from both frees and open play was sloppy at times but on the whole I thought he was fine.
Benno was excellent .... again!

Murphy - Overall did very well - at times his forward runs came to nowt partly because of poor interaction with Kearney but whenever play broke down he was back in position rapidly.

Gamble & O'Brien - Both did ok. I thought Joe got through a lot of thankless hassling work but tired and was a good decision to take him off. Colin was solid out - not his best outing but satisfactory enough overall. The biggest problem here is that we lacked creativity and the ability to hold onto the ball.

Johnno - worked tirelessly throughout for the team although things weren't going his way. Didn't really get any chances bar 2 in the second half where a defender played him in and instead of going directly through he tried to nick it across the defender to make a better angle but the defender got a touch and the opportuntiy was lost. Secondshould really have passed to George but I can kinda understand why he went it alone - he really needs a goal even George seemed to understand this in fairness to him. His attitude was excellent but confidence is flagging a bit.

Doyler - Did well especially in the air against much bigger men. Took his goal well.

I don't think the front pairing worked that well together - several times they found themselves way too close together with the result that all of Doyle knock ons just ran straight through to the keeper as John was right next to him. They actually even jumped a few times for the same ball.

Overall although I can see why Dolan felt the need to shake things I think it backfired a bit - people will look to the result but as others have said in truth it was a poor enough performance overall with very little ball retention especially across the middle. I would drop Kearney & Woodsie and shift Doyler back out onto the wing. George would come back into midfield playing with Gamble with Doyler & Colin out wide. With Fenn and Johnno up front - Although slighty imbalanced I think this make the best use of the talent we've got and would enable us get a hold of the ball in midfield and play our way through and around people rather than over them .... roll on rovers.

thecorner
24/09/2004, 11:07 AM
The two Stewards behind the goal, top men, they helped diffuse what could have been an unneccessarily ugly seen after a DCFC official who I won't name decided to start flinging insults and abuse at what must have been 40% of his total gate on the night.

ill name him

none other than the chairman himself ronan seery...what an @sshole.

could u imagine lennox running down to visiting fans and telling them to leave devine alone

his wife is no better than him

Éanna
24/09/2004, 9:35 PM
I thought it was a very poor game between two sides terrified of losing. City shaded it after George came on and deserved to win it. It was an awful game to be at really- no crowd, no atmosphere and then Seery stuck his oar in too. As for the players:

Devine- Solid as usual. He's been excellent all season. Kicked the ball long a bit too much, but the strikers playing so deep in the first half didn't help. 6
Murphy- did well. A few dodgy runs into dead ends and was out of position a few times, but he did well. 7
Benno- what a star. The guy just gets better by the game. 8
Murray- Solid defensively, but his distribution was atrocious at times. Seems very short on confidence. Better than in some previous games. 6
Hoggy- a bit rusty to start with, but he just eased into the game- back to his old self and how we've missed him. 7

Woods- didn't seem with it. Could have had a hat trick if he could remember how to shoot, and he just didn't seem on the same wavelength as other players. Needs to go. 4
Gamble- solid and composed. Never backs away from a tackle. I reckon he's going to be a very important player in the future. 7
Colin- spread the ball about well, but not the creative influence we need in the middle. Did nothing wrong. 7
Kearney- I thought he did ok, but didn't seem to be his usual self. Was closely marked for most of the game whch didn't help. 6

Flynn- looked better than he has recently, but still a long way off fitness and form. Criminal waste of a good chance when he went it alone rather than pass to george- 5
Doyle- an absolute gem as usual. Works his socks off, chases everything and has real quality too. Deserved his goal, and should be playing upfront more often. Only barry ryan's brilliance stopped him getting another. 8

George- changed the game. We were huffing and puffing until he came on and gave us that extra something. Needs to start. 8

Dolan- he's made his point by dropping george, not sure about Fenn though. Not convinced by the team he picked, but it got the job done. 6

Fair_play_boy
26/09/2004, 8:51 AM
. . . think it was one of the worst games watched (well since the Bohs match last week) in a long time.
Just saw this. :D :D :D

Eric
30/09/2004, 5:02 PM
First off. Barry Ryan...Legend. :cool:

Deservedly awarded man of the match, one of the few players on the pitch to show any modicum of skill through the game and made a couple of very important claims and one outstanding stop from Doylers flick.

He got a load of stick, the majority of it good natured to be fair and took it all in his stride, even offering the occasional smile. Despite the slagging and the disappointment of losing after a late goal, he turned to applaud us at the end of the game. Top man.

I'd have to disagree with you on that point. Fair enough he seemed to take the abuse in his stride when there was about 40 of us behind his goal and when the game was on. He had no other choice but to take it.

However as I was walking into the ground I directed a little abuse at him and he climbed up the railings behind the goal and challenged me to go over to him and say it again, which I duely did!!! He tried to intimidate me and then wanted to meet me outside after the match :rolleyes:

When the game was over we were walking out as he was coming off the pitch after warming down and he again attempted to come over to me to have a go!!!

The man's a disgrace

thecorner
30/09/2004, 10:17 PM

However as I was walking into the ground I directed a little abuse at him and he climbed up the railings behind the goal and challenged me to go over to him and say it again, which I duely did!!! He tried to intimidate me and then wanted to meet me outside after the match :rolleyes:

When the game was over we were walking out as he was coming off the pitch after warming down and he again attempted to come over to me to have a go!!!

The man's a disgrace

and there we were the last week trying hard not to name you :D