PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Sweden(A) 22 March & Austria(H) - 26 March 2013 - World Cup 2014 Qualifiers

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Closed Account
08/03/2013, 11:04 AM
Provisional Squad of 29 announced

Goalkeeper

Westwood,

Forde,

Randolph,

Defence

Coleman,
O'Shea,
St. Ledger,
Wilson,

Kelly,
Clark,
O'Dea,
Ward,

O'Brien
McShane
Pearce

Midfield

McGeady
Whelan
McCarthy
McClean

Pilkington
Green
Hendrick
Brady

Hoolahan

Forwards

Keane
Long

Doyle
Sammon

Walters
Cox

liamoo11
08/03/2013, 11:07 AM
No Gibson? That is a sickener

Crosby87
08/03/2013, 11:22 AM
Will Sweden be going with:
Isaksson
Lusig Granqvist Olsson Safari
Holmen Wemblool Larsson Ibrahimovic
Elm Elmander

Oh and Elin Woods predicted Swe 4-0
http://cdn04.cdn.thesuperficial.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/18/elin-woods-bikini-nordegren-0118-01-435x580.jpg

paul_oshea
08/03/2013, 11:34 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/dunne-loses-fitness-race-as-fai-tightlipped-over-gibson-talks-29116975.html

back of the net
08/03/2013, 11:39 AM
No Gibson? That is a sickener

if its due to him not yet recovered from the"emotional trauma" of euro 2012........ then its a bloody joke

tetsujin1979
08/03/2013, 12:12 PM
Pearce recalled, Cunningham and Keogh dropped after the Poland game.
also no Meyler, which is strange given his recent form

Murfinator
08/03/2013, 12:15 PM
Gibson is a disgrace, hope he never plays for us again. At least Stephen Ireland had the courtesy to definitively lay down his intentions and not carry on this "recovering" charade.

geysir
08/03/2013, 12:15 PM
Gibson's bottle is empty.
But Kelly's has had a refill?

paul_oshea
08/03/2013, 1:01 PM
Pearce recalled, Cunningham and Keogh dropped after the Poland game.
also no Meyler, which is strange given his recent form

I think Hendrick gets the nod here. Trap has a strange way of doing things sometimes he picks those that have always been tehre and there abouts, and then he does something like this after one game.

Charlie Darwin
08/03/2013, 1:29 PM
Gibson can do one it seems. Pleased Hendrick is in and Kelly back, disappointed Meyler and Cunningham have been omitted. Overall, I'm pessimistic about the games.

SwanVsDalton
08/03/2013, 1:41 PM
I think Hendrick gets the nod here. Trap has a strange way of doing things sometimes he picks those that have always been tehre and there abouts, and then he does something like this after one game.

Indeed. Often the first XI appears locked down but fringe players get swapped like stickers. Pearce, O'Brien, Meyler, Cunnningham, Wilson etc - all been in-and-out at one time or another.

Gibson can do one it seems. Pleased Hendrick is in and Kelly back, disappointed Meyler and Cunningham have been omitted. Overall, I'm pessimistic about the games.

Gibson's been asked back now, what, for every squad? Sounds like he's fishing for a Trap departure but I'd be loath for even a new manager to call him up. Very poor.

I'd be pessimistic too.

Actual team selection is pretty wide open in terms of midfield/up front, for once. A lot of options. Hope Pilkington starts.

Fixer82
08/03/2013, 1:41 PM
What does Stephen Kelly have to do to not get picked again??

Bungle
08/03/2013, 1:47 PM
Gibson's behaviour is disgraceful. Very good player on current form but clearly a very poor professional with a huge ego. Alot of people on here probably would want a change of manager, but to turn down the chance to play for your country because you don't like Trap would make me be reluctant to see him play for us again.

IsMiseSean
08/03/2013, 1:56 PM
One of Trap's favourites left out. Is Andy Ke-hoe injured or something?

paul_oshea
08/03/2013, 1:58 PM
Who will the 6 cut downs be assuming no injuries?

We seem to be lucky with injuries in the midfield the last while, I hope people see what I mean by this.

DannyInvincible
08/03/2013, 2:12 PM
Gibson clearly has an issue with Trap in charge. It's disappointing he can't swallow his pride. I thought we'd see a return for these games. Continuing his self-imposed exile certainly won't endear him to anyone. Silly boy, assuming he hasn't retired from international football for good...

Happy to see Wilson back, as well as Pearce, O'Brien, Pilkington and Hoolahan in there.

What's the story with Stephen Hunt of late? A forgotten man? How could you forget a man with hair like that?

zero
08/03/2013, 2:12 PM
i assume the o'brien is joey?

hunt isnt even getting in the wolves team - nor is doyle for that matter.

back of the net
08/03/2013, 2:13 PM
Gibson can go and ****** - disgraceful behaviour from a so called "professional" footballer

DannyInvincible
08/03/2013, 2:14 PM

Assume so. At least I don't think there were any game-time conditions attached to Denis' donation...

back of the net
08/03/2013, 2:15 PM

Presume its Mark O Brien - Derby County Defender

geysir
08/03/2013, 2:28 PM

Hunt is just back from a long term injury but has played a bit as sub, Doyle has form issues and has been dropped.

geysir
08/03/2013, 2:30 PM
What does Stephen Kelly have to do to not get picked again??

You'd wonder what happened but I'd guess, if this is for real, it was put to Trap (by the FAI?) to mend that particular fence.

Charlie Darwin
08/03/2013, 3:31 PM
Hunt is just back from a long term injury but has played a bit as sub, Doyle has form issues and has been dropped.
Hunt was booed off at the weekend and the crowd sang derogatory songs as he sat on the bench. For some reason, when a football team is struggling, fans often take it out on the long-term casualty list.

gilberto_eire
08/03/2013, 3:33 PM
In relation to Gibson:

Whatever happened to the FIFA ruling that a player must report for internationals?
Granted most managers might not envoke to push this through. But my understanding was there's a mandatory suspension if a player doesn't report for duty.
This issue last surfaced when it was said Domenech was going to recall a few retired players(Diarra?), and if they refused to show they'd receive suspensions.

Surely even if the manager doesn't pursue it higher up, but the player is making it publicly clear he's refusing without injury, FIFA/UEFA step in?!

geysir
08/03/2013, 5:11 PM
In relation to Gibson:

Whatever happened to the FIFA ruling that a player must report for internationals?
Granted most managers might not envoke to push this through. But my understanding was there's a mandatory suspension if a player doesn't report for duty.
This issue last surfaced when it was said Domenech was going to recall a few retired players(Diarra?), and if they refused to show they'd receive suspensions.

Surely even if the manager doesn't pursue it higher up, but the player is making it publicly clear he's refusing without injury, FIFA/UEFA step in?!
Wasn't it Makelele?
Yes Trap could force Gibson to turn up, but Trap won't call up some player who does not want to play.

paul_oshea
08/03/2013, 6:06 PM
i would do it to gibson he is turning into a right cretan

Crosby87
08/03/2013, 9:39 PM
This is from 6 days ago so i'm sure you all have seen it but could it be Moyes has asked he not be picked due to his precarious injury situation?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4820316/Darron-Gibson-is-playing-through-the-pain-barrier.html

tetsujin1979
08/03/2013, 10:48 PM
This is from 6 days ago so i'm sure you all have seen it but could it be Moyes has asked he not be picked due to his precarious injury situation?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4820316/Darron-Gibson-is-playing-through-the-pain-barrier.html
according to RTE, he was approached, but but declined the call up: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0308/375392-coleman-and-wilson-both-named-in-ireland-squad/

Murfinator
09/03/2013, 12:08 AM
Gibson clearly has an issue with Trap in charge.

Was his multitude of groin strains and friendly exclusions throughout his international career even in Trap's early days because he had an issue with him? What about his total exclusion from Man Utd's team in his last season there to the point where Rafael was getting a game in centre mid ahead of him because of his discipline issues and partying? The lad has a bad attitude, he might be using the public feelings towards Trap to shield him this time but he's been at this carry on his whole career. I very much doubt he'd be any more committed under someone else, simply isn't a team player and shouldn't be welcomed back.

Not as if he was very good for us anyway, Stephen Ireland contributed more in his 6 appearances than Gibsons's mostly abysmal 19.

Wasn't it Makelele?
Yes Trap could force Gibson to turn up, but Trap won't call up some player who does not want to play.

He'd be right too, horrible man management to call up a player who doesn't want to be there ahead of those that do. Just look at how Domenech's reign wound up.

Paddy Garcia
09/03/2013, 7:48 AM
Presume its Mark O Brien - Derby County Defender

Actually it is Joey

geysir
09/03/2013, 10:32 AM
He'd be right too, horrible man management to call up a player who doesn't want to be there ahead of those that do. Just look at how Domenech's reign wound up.

Therefore Paul = Domenech.

Irwin3
09/03/2013, 10:56 AM
Was his multitude of groin strains and friendly exclusions throughout his international career even in Trap's early days because he had an issue with him? What about his total exclusion from Man Utd's team in his last season there to the point where Rafael was getting a game in centre mid ahead of him because of his discipline issues and partying? The lad has a bad attitude, he might be using the public feelings towards Trap to shield him this time but he's been at this carry on his whole career. I very much doubt he'd be any more committed under someone else, simply isn't a team player and shouldn't be welcomed back.

Not as if he was very good for us anyway, Stephen Ireland contributed more in his 6 appearances than Gibsons's mostly abysmal 19.

It's not like he has had a recurring condition that is probably requiring surgery this summer, is it? It's even mentioned two posts above yours, ffs. Put some effort into your vitriol next time and do your homework.

DannyInvincible
09/03/2013, 2:21 PM
In relation to Gibson:

Wasn't aware of such a rule. Is there actually such a rule in place? Seems bizarre that a player could be forced to report for (voluntary?) international duty. What if, say, the IFA attempted to compel a player who intended to play for the FAI to report for duty? You sure you're not confusing it with the rule that obliges clubs to release selected players for competitive fixtures? And who punishes a player who fails to report in such an instance? FIFA or the association concerned?

geysir
09/03/2013, 2:27 PM
Wasn't aware of such a rule. Is there actually such a rule in place? Seems bizarre that a player could be forced to report for (voluntary?) international duty. What if, say, the IFA attempted to compel a player who intended to play for the FAI to report for duty? You sure you're not confusing it with the rule that obliges clubs to release selected players for competitive fixtures? And who punishes a player who fails to report in such an instance? FIFA or the association concerned?
I think a player has to officially retire before the naming of a squad, once that's done then he can refuse a call up.
What constitutes an official retirement, I don't know. I presume something written down and sent to the football association.

tetsujin1979
09/03/2013, 2:43 PM
I think a player has to officially retire before the naming of a squad, once that's done then he can refuse a call up.
What constitutes an official retirement, I don't know. I presume something written down and sent to the football association.
that's what made the Makelele call up so strange, he had retired, but was called up anyway
article about it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/29/sports/29iht-soccer.2630407.html?_r=2&

geysir
09/03/2013, 2:58 PM
that's what made the Makelele call up so strange, he had retired, but was called up anyway
article about it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/29/sports/29iht-soccer.2630407.html?_r=2&

Makelele didn't have to turn up as he had 'officially' retired. The drama was all provided by typical Mourinho histrionics.

DannyInvincible
09/03/2013, 3:00 PM
That article confirms that there is no such rule obliging players to show for international duty. Mourinho was mistaken in his interpretation of the rule obliging clubs to release players.

FIFA, the governing body of world soccer, confirmed Monday that while a club that fails to release a player for national team duty is indeed barred from using the player for two matches (a rule intended to prevent the cynical ploy of clubs pretending players are injured), there is nothing to stop a player retiring from his national team, or stating that he does not wish to play for it.

geysir
09/03/2013, 3:03 PM
Yes, but I think the player has to make that declaration before the squad naming ceremony.

DannyInvincible
09/03/2013, 3:15 PM
Seems odd. What makes you think that? I can only assume it doesn't apply to non-capped players if there is such a rule.

geysir
09/03/2013, 3:38 PM
Seems odd. What makes you think that? I can only assume it doesn't apply to non-capped players if there is such a rule.
It makes sense, therefore I think it :)

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/soccer/artikel.php?ID=109670
Andreas Herren, a spokesman for world football's governing body.

"There is no FIFA rule to prevent any player stopping his international career, that's up to him," he told AFP Monday.
"The one thing that has to be considered is that the intention to leave a national team or put an end to an international career needs to be communicated prior to a specific summons."

tetsujin1979
09/03/2013, 6:00 PM
just watching the rugby, and the pitch at the Aviva is in a terrible state

Paddy Garcia
09/03/2013, 7:11 PM
just watching the rugby, and the pitch at the Aviva is in a terrible state

First positive thing I have read in months about our prospects .........

tetsujin1979
10/03/2013, 3:29 PM
Pilkington out: https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/310778229566865408

Norwich medics have ruled Pilkington out of Sweden and Austria games. Hamstring strain.

Crosby87
10/03/2013, 5:00 PM
Some Swedish beer available to the 700 or so Irish fans will include these:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmOG_Izu4CjFbR0LY91yY1cGdo7P555 tEZi_y5-TLfVpVVa23x

paul_oshea
11/03/2013, 12:51 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/doubts-emerge-over-aiden-mcgeadys-availability-for-world-cup-qualifiers-29122303.html

Mcgeady could be out as well. We are really getting fecked by injuries in this campaign.

pineapple stu
11/03/2013, 1:02 PM
Kirin Beer, that well-known Swedish product with the Swedish - no, wait, Japanese - writing on the tin?

McGeady out is a boost.

geysir
11/03/2013, 3:34 PM
McGeady got injured playing for us against the Faroe Islands, he's only started one of Spartaks' games since.

I suppose Green can fill in there if needed. Sure is a boost if McGeady pulls out.:rolleyes:

p2011
11/03/2013, 3:36 PM
I'd say McGeady is a big loss, particularly against Sweden away where ball retention will be important. But of course we don't do ball retention...

Charlie Darwin
11/03/2013, 4:06 PM
McGeady out is a boost.
Why ?

eagleforlife
11/03/2013, 8:05 PM
How Damien Delaney doesn't get in the squad is beyond me.