PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Sweden(A) 22 March & Austria(H) - 26 March 2013 - World Cup 2014 Qualifiers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

SwanVsDalton
22/03/2013, 12:14 AM
He famously WAS at the euros and came on as sub ahead of the significantly miffed Gibson!

Bang on. Unlike the fallow likes of Gibson and McCarthy, Green has big game, big tournament experience of being walloped by the best. It could be crucial tonight.

brine3
22/03/2013, 12:28 AM
Paul Green ahead of James McCarthy.

When I first read it I actually went "JESUS CHRIST FOR ****'S SAKE" very loud and got strange looks from people.

Sometimes I think Trapattoni is trying to annoy me on purpose. This is by far the most disappointing team he has ever named.

tricky_colour
22/03/2013, 1:38 AM
Well the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and the pudding in this case is a football.
All this pre-match talk counts for nothing really, it's how they perform on the day that matters.
There seems to be mixed feelings towards Green but I am feeling quite positive after his last performance
for Ireland it seemed for once we had a midfield. However every match is different players can go from
good to bad to mediocre from game to game.

Still you can get 7-1 on an Ireland win ( at Will Hill) and with £1 invested I feel the returns of £8 are already in the bank,
albeit probably a Cyprian one.

gastric
22/03/2013, 1:47 AM
Paul Green ahead of James McCarthy.

When I first read it I actually went "JESUS CHRIST FOR ****'S SAKE" very loud and got strange looks from people.

Sometimes I think Trapattoni is trying to annoy me on purpose. This is by far the most disappointing team he has ever named.

Would agree! This trying to nullify their strengths to me indicates Trap's lack of confidence in his own team. Whelan and Green will not create anything in midfield and it will be more hoofball. I think we will lose badly and the calls will grow for his dismissal. Not normally so pessimistic, but yet again his team choices worry me.

geysir
22/03/2013, 6:54 AM
With that exception and the ridiculous comments on Brady, the team is more or less as you would expect. I dont think McGeady will be a huge loss. Too often his end product for us is well short of the mark.
I think way too much is being read into Trap's comments on Brady, bordering on hysterical.
“There is no injury but I want to be sure.
“I spoke with him. I said: ’Are you sure, are you okay?’ He said: ’Yes’.
“I wish to push him. Brady is creative. He can put the opponents in difficulty.
“He showed (this) against Poland, going inside. He is clever and I told him, ’You must repeat this game’.
“It is my provocation. He will now see in the newspaper tomorrow he is a doubt. It is only psychological"

Interesting that he regards Brady as 'creative'.

paul_oshea
22/03/2013, 7:02 AM
Is this the most backhanded compliment in football history?

Its an insult.

McCarthy must really wonder like. So long as he is reinstated at the home game.

geysir
22/03/2013, 7:22 AM
At least Trap has inserted the final definitive nail in the question of, 'is McCarthy a creative player?'.
Apparently it was Trap's reply on this at the press conference that clearly sent some of the assembled media into a tizzy. it was a surreal moment to listen to Trap explain to the assembled puzzled pundits just what defines a creative player and what he does on the pitch.

Roberto
22/03/2013, 8:10 AM
I don't think there is any doubt about McCarthy being a better player than Green and current market values will confirm this but as far as Trap is concerned it's 'horses for courses' in the selection of Green. McCarthy has been outstanding for Wigan this season as is really developing into a class player. I've even noticed he has become more confident as he appears to be a lot more vocal (or as some might say a bit of a mouthpiece) on the pitch (maybe in response to Trap's encouragement). I even noticed him in the thick of it mouthing to ref and Newcastle players after that 'horror' tackle last Sunday, don't wtf he was arguing. I don't know what job Trap feels McCarthy can't do for him for Ireland but he obviously has doubts. If truth be told, with the possible exception of the second half of the Faroes game, McCarthy has been distinctly average for Ireland. I think it is naive to think that because someone is playing very well for his club he will automatically be a success for his country. I don't think we will see the best of McCarthy or indeed Houilihan until Traps departs. Fortunately McCarthy has time on his side but maybe not Houlihan.

brine3
22/03/2013, 8:17 AM
Andybody who saw Euro 2012 would have noted that Ireland was done in because we had a weak central midfield and no ability to hold on to posession. We badly missed McCarthy and Gibson in midfield than and Robbie Keane dropping back into midfield wasn't working.

More of the same is not the answer. In fact, Whelan-Green is worse than Whelan-Andrews and the player at Euro 2012 who was best at holding onto the ball (Duff) has now retired.

It's like Trap has looked at the tapes of Euro 2012 and said, "wow, we were absolutely brilliant!"

NeverFeltBetter
22/03/2013, 8:59 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/glenn-whelan-injury-scare-ahead-of-sweden-clash-29146990.html

It's the Indo, so the obligatory pinch of salt.

brine3
22/03/2013, 9:13 AM
Great video and what is it about British commentary when watching those clips that somehow seems to make it even better!!!

How good was Duff back then, such a top class player. In fairness, the team had some superb individuals (Given, Duff, Keane, Harte, Stan) but some very ordinary to good players as well (Holland, Kinsella, Breen, Kilbane), but they truly were a team.

Don't forget Steve Finnan.

Kinsella was a very good player, one of the most underrated players to ever have donned the green shirt.

Harte was in very bad form at the World Cup. Mick's refusal to drop him cost us dearly.

Bungle
22/03/2013, 9:16 AM

Kinsella was a very good player, one of the most underrated players to ever have donned the green shirt.

Harte was in very bad form at the World Cup. Mick's refusal to drop him cost us dearly.

I loved Kinsella. Terrific footballer and a great pro.

hunt4the
22/03/2013, 9:33 AM
I'm happy enough with the team selection we were always going to go
away to sweden and defend like f*** flat back 8 and try nick one on the break,
thats always been traps mantra and bar the euros its worked pretty well for us away from home,
The big problem is we need to be defensive rocksolid for this to work
O'shea makes my knees knock together every time I see him "defending"
id prefer to see stledger. Anyhow I think we can do it tonight sweden are overated and they dont
cope well with the favorites tag
COYBIG

peadar1987
22/03/2013, 9:54 AM

I really rated Kinsella, he was a very understated player. Never did anything flashy, but rarely gave away possession. Perhaps a bit like the player Darron Gibson looks like becoming.

Strangely enough, I thought Harte's best game in the WC was the Spain one, up until he missed that penalty. Even so, perhaps we would have been better served with a back 4 of Stan...Breen...Cunningham...Finnan. It's hardly like Stan was a slouch from set pieces himself.

SwanVsDalton
22/03/2013, 9:59 AM
Strangely enough, I thought Harte's best game in the WC was the Spain one, up until he missed that penalty. Even so, perhaps we would have been better served with a back 4 of Stan...Breen...Cunningham...Finnan. It's hardly like Stan was a slouch from set pieces himself.

Stan was utterly finished as a left-back at that point. He was slower than a glacier. Only other option would've been to drop Kelly back and switch Finnan. Can see why McCarthy stuck with Harte given his ability on the ball but he didn't have a great time.

paul_oshea
22/03/2013, 10:11 AM
Lads i really don't think a draw will be a good enough result in the whole scheme of things because I dont see us beating them at home. And i can see them getting a draw at home to germany.

Crosby87
22/03/2013, 10:32 AM
Me head says 4-0 Sweden.
Me Heart says 3-0 Sweden.

tetsujin1979
22/03/2013, 10:52 AM
Sweden line up:
from https://twitter.com/philipoconnor/statuses/315061207482658816

Sweden: 1-Andreas Isaksson, 2-Mikael Lustig, 4-Andreas Granqvist, 3-Jonas Olsson, 5-Behrang Safari (cont)
from https://twitter.com/philipoconnor/statuses/315061241456517121

(cont) 7-Sebastian Larsson, 9-Kim Kallstrom, 6-Rasmus Elm, 19-Alexander Kacanklic, 10-Zlatan Ibrahimovic, 11-Tobias Hysen

Charlie Darwin
22/03/2013, 10:58 AM
Ah, I see they've decided to go with Zlatan up front.

Supreme feet
22/03/2013, 11:11 AM
Word from Daniel McDonnell's twitter is that Whelan might be forced to pull out with some unspecified injury.

Edit, whoops, didn't see NeverFeltBetter's post on the last page.

brine3
22/03/2013, 11:29 AM
Ah, I see they've decided to go with Zlatan up front.

Strange, I thought they might go for a Championship striker who is more suited for this match, and keep Zlatan on the bench.

brine3
22/03/2013, 11:33 AM
I really rated Kinsella, he was a very understated player. Never did anything flashy, but rarely gave away possession. Perhaps a bit like the player Darron Gibson looks like becoming.

Yep, Kinsella was the Irish Paul Lambert. Almost the exact same player.

Yep, I'd have done Finnan - Stan - Cunningham - Kelly... with Stephen Reid coming into midfield.

John O'Shea could have done a job at leftback then too, but of course he wasn't in the squad.

BonnieShels
22/03/2013, 11:44 AM
And it begins. Reading the match thread on the day of the game always makes me sick with nerves. COYBIG!

Also I'm tired of Green being so overtly criticised. Whelan is the junker in that midfield. We all know that here. I wish the rest of the world would cop.

Closed Account
22/03/2013, 11:44 AM
Isaksson

Lustig
Granqvist

Olsson
Safari

Elm

Kallstrom

Larsson

Ibrahimovic

Kakanclic

Hysen

Long

Keane

McClean
Whelan

Green
Brady

Wilson
Clark

O'Shea
Coleman

Forde

Missing the first half, playing a match. Gonna stick a cheeky 5er on an Irish win. Deluded optimism ahoy.

Charlie Darwin
22/03/2013, 11:53 AM
That Sweden midfield looks good but I think we have them on the wings and in defence. Two fairly ordinary keepers, although Isaksson has a lot more experience. Zlatan is obviously the big difference between the teams.

tetsujin1979
22/03/2013, 12:26 PM
rumours on twitter that Whelan is out for tonight. Nothing official, and no word on replacement

Charlie Darwin
22/03/2013, 12:29 PM
RTE news just reported he's almost certain to miss out. Nightmare scenario is a 50% fit Whelan lining out alongside Green.

NeverFeltBetter
22/03/2013, 12:32 PM
Trap wouldn't...

SkStu
22/03/2013, 12:35 PM
Colbert Report - any idea if the game is on tv here at all?

Sullivinho
22/03/2013, 1:15 PM
Whelan out according to SSN.

Sky sources: Glenn Whelan ruled out of Republic of Ireland's World Cup qualifier against Sweden with an ankle injury #ssn (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ssn&src=hash)

SkStu
22/03/2013, 1:16 PM

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/assets/default/GOLTVCanada_upcomingmatches.pdf

SkStu
22/03/2013, 1:17 PM

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/assets/default/GOLTVCanada_upcomingmatches.pdf

Thanks Stu.

wonder88
22/03/2013, 1:26 PM
I think Walters should have started up front, but maybe Keane will drop into midfield. Also WBA use Long for 3/4 of the game to wear out the opposition defence so maybe this could be a ploy we plan to use. Will McCarthy replace Whelan in midfield?

geysir
22/03/2013, 1:34 PM
My worst fear, Whelan out!

Silver lining, there should be room for Andy Keogh now.

tricky_colour
22/03/2013, 1:36 PM
At least Trap has inserted the final definitive nail in the question of, 'is McCarthy a creative player?'.
Apparently it was Trap's reply on this at the press conference that clearly sent some of the assembled media into a tizzy. it was a surreal moment to listen to Trap explain to the assembled puzzled pundits just what defines a creative player and what he does on the pitch.

I was going go to ask you what he said but I found it here

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/irishfootball/4854203/A-stiles-council.html

GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI thinks Ireland have the Stiles but not the style to beat Sweden tonight.

The Italian has made a big call by selecting Paul Green over in-form Premier League ace James McCarthy for the crunch World Cup qualifier.

What swung it in Green’s favour turns out not to be Trap’s belief that he can do a number of Zlatan Ibrahimovic but rather that his work-rate can free Séamus Coleman to attack from right-back.

The gaffer has picked Green to do the ugly legwork, claiming he is Ireland’s version of former Italy midfielder Gennaro Gattuso (below, left) or Manchester United legend Nobby Stiles.

And Trap insists that adding some Stiles to his side more than covers for the loss of McCarthy, who he says is NOT a creative player.

Trapattoni said: “Paul Green has a good attitude, the same attitude as other players with famous names.

“Gattuso could never play but because of his character, he won the league. In England, there was Stiles, he was a typical player.

“As the away team, we need more protection. It is important that we play our game, it is important that we have the right protection.

“McCarthy has played very well but I couldn’t ask him to play this position. I have respect for James but he is not creative, he is good at keeping possession.

“He is young enough to learn. He can be like Glenn Whelan but Whelan is a better player for us now.”

Considering Trapattoni handed McCarthy his first international start as a playmaker, it seems a remarkable turnaround to now say that the Wigan man lacks a creative spark.

And the manager’s explanation of his gameplan for Sweden left many followers scratching their heads.

I can't say I see him as a particularly creative player either and I think Green showed a high work rate against Poland.

Would like to try Green and Hoolahan myself they might compliment each other.

Dixie's Cousin
22/03/2013, 1:38 PM
Whelan out, who is going to pass the ball back to the centre backs now!

Charlie Darwin
He's dead right. People have this bizarre idea that McCarthy is the creative outlet we've been lacking. He's a percentages player - a very good one, but a percentages player nonetheless. If Mascherano or Makalele were Irish, I have no doubt the press hoards would laud him as a modern-day Liam Brady.

tricky_colour
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/glenn-whelan-injury-scare-ahead-of-sweden-clash-29146990.html

It's the Indo, so the obligatory pinch of salt.

A chance for Green Hoolahan in midfield!!

DannyInvincible
22/03/2013, 1:45 PM
McCarthy will step in. Hoolahan won't be starting.

geysir
22/03/2013, 1:50 PM
I was going go to ask you what he said but I found it here

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/irishfootball/4854203/A-stiles-council.html

I can't say I see him as a particularly creative player either and I think Green showed a high work rate against Poland.

Would like to try Green and Hoolahan myself they might compliment each other.
I heard the press conference but
there is this account of what Trap said, in the (ex Cork) Examiner.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/trap-plays-the-green-card-226233.html
However, when I put it to the manager yesterday, that McCarthy’s absence could only exacerbate the lack of creativity in the Irish midfield, his answer was instructive.

“No, I’m sorry,” he said, wagging a finger in disagreement. “Despite my respect for James, who I respect very much, you can’t say that he is creative. James is good, is linear, is an easy player but he is not creative. Watch his game. I saw him in many, many games. I hope he increases his personality and takes the ball some more because it is important and he is young enough.”

In the press conference when he was asked again to explain this, he was exasperated saying 'next time you watch a game just observe what he does on the pitch' or however Trap would say something like that.

Fixer82
22/03/2013, 2:00 PM
McCarthy defo in for Whelan

geysir
22/03/2013, 2:05 PM
Whelan's inferior understudy.
Let's hope he didn't learn anything.

shakermaker1982
22/03/2013, 5:07 PM
Walters in for Brady?

koneinc
22/03/2013, 5:14 PM
Walters in for Brady?

Looks like it..... :confused:

SkStu
22/03/2013, 5:19 PM
Ridonkadonk.

NeverFeltBetter
22/03/2013, 5:24 PM
What happened? Brady injured or just a last minute switcharoo to fool the Swedes or something?

SkStu
22/03/2013, 5:30 PM
What happened? Brady injured or just a last minute switcharoo to fool the Swedes or something?

Trap said he doesn't trust Brady to deliver so put him provisionally in the team and has now decided that Brady won't deliver so pulled him out. May have been influenced by Whelans injury but simply more man-management madness at the end of the day.

SwanVsDalton
22/03/2013, 5:32 PM
Probably line up with Whelan in goals now. Trap gonna just shuffle the starting XI like musical chairs until 7.45pm.

Seriously look at that team. I'd consider it a minor miracle for them to pull out a result at this stage.

SwanVsDalton
22/03/2013, 5:33 PM
Trap said he doesn't trust Brady to deliver so put him provisionally in the team and has now decided that Brady won't deliver so pulled him out. May have been influenced by Whelans injury but simply more man-management madness at the end of the day.

I've a feeling it probably was influenced by Whelan's injury. Maybe wants to offer Seamie more protection on the right if the midfield doesn't have the deep lying players he first thought...but regardless you're totally spot on. Just utterly stupid to announce something like that.

NeverFeltBetter
22/03/2013, 5:36 PM
Well, guess we're counting down to a "Brady disappointed with team exclusion" story.