PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Sweden(A) 22 March & Austria(H) - 26 March 2013 - World Cup 2014 Qualifiers

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

paul_oshea
11/03/2013, 8:14 PM
he is doing alright at crystal palace alright.

SolitudeRed
11/03/2013, 9:39 PM
McGeady got injured playing for us against the Faroe Islands, he's only started one of Spartaks' games since.

I suppose Green can fill in there if needed. Sure is a boost if McGeady pulls out.:rolleyes:

Walters and Hoolahan play for their clubs on the right wing at times so I suppose they could do a job for Ireland there if needs be also Coleman did well enough when he played on the wing too but hes needed at RB now, I wonder if Trap will keep faith with McClean and Brady.

p2011
12/03/2013, 2:55 PM
Strange that Meyler has been left out. He wouldn't be a starter, but he has been playing regularly and getting the odd goal for a side in generally good form. Hard to escape the feeling that Trap is just making it up as he goes along sometimes.

I think a fit McGeady would be a useful asset in Sweden, end product or no end product. The game is made for Hoolahan behind a single striker, but of course we haven't prepared by trying that out in any serious manner (only in the 2nd halves of friendlies, which are always a bit chaotic with loads of substitutions). If Cox starts on the wing then I will eat my hat.

Stuttgart88
12/03/2013, 3:07 PM
I hope your hat is tasty. I wouldn't pick Cox on the wing myself, but Trap seems to fancy him there. Bizarre but true.

Agree totally re-Hoolahan being ideal for this game.

tetsujin1979
13/03/2013, 10:19 AM
Swedish squad named: http://svenskfotboll.se/landslag/herrar/arkiv/landslag/2013/03/vm-kvaltruppen-uttagen/
First call up to the senior side for Erkan Zengin

Austrian squad also named: http://www.oefb.at/harnik-nach-verletzungspause-gegen-news22073

pineapple stu
13/03/2013, 10:25 AM
Why ?
Cos he's muck.

In my opinion.

Crosby87
13/03/2013, 10:48 AM
They got rid of Elmender but they still have Elm. So it still will be a nightmare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY_Yf4zz-yo&feature=player_detailpage

eagleforlife
13/03/2013, 7:14 PM
he is doing alright at crystal palace alright.

He's doing a hell of a lot better than Paul McShane is at Hull.

Charlie Darwin
13/03/2013, 7:23 PM
They're doing about the same actually.

IsMiseSean
14/03/2013, 2:07 PM
He's doing a hell of a lot better than Paul McShane is at Hull.

I haven't seen Delaney for CP but McShane is actually doing very well for Hull this season playing on the left side of a 3-man CB line.
Think he got Player of the Month for January

tetsujin1979
14/03/2013, 2:37 PM
I haven't seen Delaney for CP but McShane is actually doing very well for Hull this season playing on the left side of a 3-man CB line.
Think he got Player of the Month for January
yep, he did: http://www.hullcityafc.net/news/article/cash-conv-potm-mcshane-671167.aspx

EastTerracer
16/03/2013, 5:48 PM
From the FAI's Twitter feed:

@FAIreland: Trap has finalised his 23 man squad for Sweden and Austria FIFA WCQ's: Forde,Westwood,Randolph, O’Shea, St. Ledger, Clark, Wilson, CONTD..

@FAIreland: Coleman, Kelly, O’Dea, Whelan, McCarthy, Green, Hoolahan, Hendrick, McClean, Keogh, Brady, Keane, Long,Sammon, Walters, Cox #COYBIG

@FAIreland: The following players have also been placed on standby with their clubs: Doyle, Ward, O’Brien, Pearce, Henderson, Meyler #IrlSwe #IrlAus

Doyle left out is the biggest news. McGeady, Pilkington and McShane all confirmed injured.

Picking Sammon ahead of Doyle one of the strangest decisions ever.

pineapple stu
16/03/2013, 5:57 PM
Well he threatened to start Long and Sammon after the last match. Picking Sammon ahead of Doyle would be nothing compared to picking him ahead of Keane...

ArdeeBhoy
16/03/2013, 6:03 PM
He has a point. As in Trap likes to defy logic.

And don't care if McShane plays for Barca, he and others (eg.S.Ward) are walking 'disaster areas'...

Grafter
16/03/2013, 9:02 PM
RTE say Andy Keogh was not in the original 29 but is now in the 23 man trimmed squad.... seriously what is the bloody point of naming a provisional squad then?

Closed Account
16/03/2013, 9:10 PM
RTE say Andy Keogh was not in the original 29 but is now in the 23 man trimmed squad.... seriously what is the bloody point of naming a provisional squad then?
It looks like Keogh was 5th choice as a winger, so when Pilkington and McGeady are unavailable, he comes in. Now the argument is that Keogh is not a winger, but Trap clearly sees him as one. Personally, I'd of brought Joey O'Brien and use Coleman as a backup wide midfielder. If Brady or McClean do get injured then we're up **** creek.
Duff is such a massive loss.

Crosby87
17/03/2013, 11:44 AM
As of right now what do you all think the starting lineup will be?

Murfinator
17/03/2013, 2:10 PM
As of right now what do you all think the starting lineup will be?

Forde - Coleman O'Shea St Ledger Wilson - Brady McCarthy Whelan McClean - Keane Walters

Not really sure about wings especially, Trap has never liked McClean and he's in dire form at the moment so I'd even imagine he's even less keen on him right now. It'd make sense if Trap used Coleman in right midfield and either switched JOS to right back to bring in O'Dea/Clark or brought in Kelly. Though I'd imagine he'd like an experienced centre back to combat Zlatan.
Sammon is probably there for the reason to use from the bench, doubt he'd kick Doyle off the panel just to bring in someone who'll play no part.

MeathDrog
17/03/2013, 2:48 PM
Absolutely disgraceful treatment by Trap to drop Doyle out of the squad. Granted he shouldn't start and he's been having a bad season, but it is very harsh to drop him out of the squad altogether.

Considering he saved Trap's job against Kazakhstan, it makes it all the worse.

And yet Sammon and Green are in the squad. Trap just has a horn for sh*t players.

Predictions: Sweden 2-0 Ireland, Ireland 1-1 Austria

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 3:05 PM
Why is not picking a player disgraceful? He's been woefully out of form and not playing for his club until yesterday. Sammon's an average player but at least he gets his game and scores the odd goal, which yesterday excepted Doyle can't boast.

pineapple stu
17/03/2013, 3:09 PM
I'd still take MeathDrog's predictions right now though...

brine3
17/03/2013, 4:56 PM
Ah, Sweden... I have ABBA stuck in my head now

Knowing Green and knowing Keogh
There is nothing we can do

MeathDrog
17/03/2013, 6:48 PM
Why is not picking a player disgraceful? He's been woefully out of form and not playing for his club until yesterday. Sammon's an average player but at least he gets his game and scores the odd goal, which yesterday excepted Doyle can't boast.

Half the Ireland team were struggling to get into their teams at the start of the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign. Didn't stop them from being picked though.

Doyle has had an awful season but is starting to play more for Wolves recently and got on the scoresheet yesterday.

If things are getting stale for Ireland up front (which they often do), then Doyle is a great option off the bench, not a player who has no first touch.

I think that a bit of humility should be shown by Trap for the man who saved his job just two games previous to this squad being picked. Showing his lack of class as always.

Murfinator
17/03/2013, 7:07 PM
And yet Sammon and Green are in the squad. Trap just has a horn for sh*t players.

Predictions: Sweden 2-0 Ireland, Ireland 1-1 Austria

Stupid comment, Green has never let anyone down when playing for Ireland and Sammon hasn't even had a chance to let anyone down yet. Of course a claim could be made for Doyle but getting upset that the off-form 4th or 5th choice forward has been dropped is ridiculous.

Trap has taken a heavy hand for this squad in demoting players in poor club form (Doyle, Ward) and those not playing at all (Westwood). Moves which he should be applauded for, but I suppose the folks who've been hammering the Hoolahan drum for the past few months needed to find something else to complain about?

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 7:17 PM
Half the Ireland team were struggling to get into their teams at the start of the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign. Didn't stop them from being picked though.
So? I didn't say a player who wasn't starting doesn't deserve to get in the team.

Doyle has had an awful season but is starting to play more for Wolves recently and got on the scoresheet yesterday.
He's started 3 games in 10 and made 5 sub appearances.

If things are getting stale for Ireland up front (which they often do), then Doyle is a great option off the bench, not a player who has no first touch.
I wouldn't say either is a great option at the moment.

I think that a bit of humility should be shown by Trap for the man who saved his job just two games previous to this squad being picked. Showing his lack of class as always.
Humility? His job is to pick the team based on form and ability. Sammon might not have Doyle's ability but at the moment he's offering more to his football team than Doyle is to his. People complain about Trap being way too loyal to players like Whelan, selecting them despite their clear lack of form, but then he goes and does the opposite and drops an out-of-form player and people criticise him for that.

Doyle is a professional. I'm sure he'll be upset about being dropped for a less talented player, but I'm sure he'll also have the honesty to admit he hasn't been meriting a place recently.

SkStu
17/03/2013, 7:22 PM
Doyle's had an absolute nightmare season and on club form deserves to be dropped. I don't think Sammon is the answer to any goal scoring problems but then again, I'm hoping that Sammon is our 4th/5th choice striker so all this is moot.

If, however, Sammon is coming in to usurp any of Long, Keane or Walters as our primary/starting options then that is yet another major Trappatoni blunder.

Murfinator
17/03/2013, 11:16 PM
Doyle's had an absolute nightmare season and on club form deserves to be dropped. I don't think Sammon is the answer to any goal scoring problems but then again, I'm hoping that Sammon is our 4th/5th choice striker so all this is moot.

If, however, Sammon is coming in to usurp any of Long, Keane or Walters as our primary/starting options then that is yet another major Trappatoni blunder.

I don't rate Sammon at all but as the kind of player to bring on in the last 15 minutes when you're behind and your opponent are defending deep then it absolutely makes sense. Caleb Folan wasn't a very good player either but did an excellent job against Italy especially being that tall guy. If Sammon started it'd be an atrocious decision but I really doubt it. Keane/Walters/Long as the serious starter contenders, Sammon as the "extra dimension" bench option and Cox as the utility player is the perfect forward squad setup.

brine3
17/03/2013, 11:29 PM
Any news on Leon Best?

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 11:33 PM
He's still working his way back to fitness but he seems to be first choice partner for Rhodes now. He was taken off at half time today - not sure if it was tactical or a fitness issue.

DannyInvincible
18/03/2013, 9:54 AM

Past managers were condemned for allowing sentiment towards perceived favourites colour their squad selections at the expense of better-performing players. Are you suggesting certain players' places in the squad should be guaranteed because of past endeavours irrespective of form?

Stuttgart88
18/03/2013, 10:12 AM
I still think an off form Doyle is better than Sammon having the game of his life though. He barely touched the ball against Poland. It's a clear message to Doyle. Trap was even quoted in the Examiner - he needs to change clubs.

I've seen so many strange results in all sports lately (and over the years) that I always think the underdog has a chance in two-horse race. Around this time I'd be normally dusting off my usual pre-away match quote "we'll get some chances, we'll need to take them". I just don't really feel that way now though. Despite the team being likely to contain Wilson & Coleman, McCarthy in CM and Long and Keane upfront and maybe even both of Brady & McClean, I just don't feel Trap will be approaching this game with anything other than his usual approach of handing all the initiative to the opposition right from the start.

I just hope that we'll attack any vulnerability Sweden have (lack of pace in CB, poor at defending set-pices maybe) and try and play the game behind them, rather than letting them face us for the whole game. A defeat ain't a catastrophe. A win at home against Sweden would negate that and we'll only be a point behind them in the "like for like" stakes with 6 games to go.

Whelan went off early in the WBA game. Anyone know why?

Anyway, my XI would probably be:

--------Forde-------
Coleman-O'Shea-SSL-Wilson
-----McCarthy-Whelan-----
--Long----Hoolahan---McClean
-----------Keane------

I thought SSL looked a bit iffy against Derby but he reminds me of Kenny Cunnigham in his comfort at international level. Choosing between Clark & him is a close call.

I know there's a point of view that Keane doesn't lead the line / can't play as a lone forward but he has usually been isolated in that role. The key for me is to make sure that the 5 men behind him use the ball well and take up good positions, Keane & Long interchanging and taking turns to be furthest forward. Walters will be a useful sub.

geysir
18/03/2013, 1:07 PM
Based on the Poland friendly, McCarthy's game was affected adversely by having Whelan around him. I think he's better served by having someone more mobile and alive.

Stuttgart88
18/03/2013, 2:11 PM
Agreed. The role Trap asks Whelan to play is a bit what you'd ask a Paul McGrath type character with iffy knees and a lot of miles behind him. "Just hang in front of the defence and give the ball to the guy nearest you, or hoof it. Don't worry about getting forward". It leaves a lot for McCarthy to do, just as it asked a lot of Andrews who was game enough to deliver from time to time. This game is crying out for an extra man or a "hybrid" and this is where I am very frustrated with Trap's "we can't change the seestem. It'll show weakness to Sweden". Rubbish.

Anyway, a pal of mine in Sweden says that Sweden's back 4 has big question marks over them (inexperience) as well as doubts over fitness of both full backs who are both just back from injury.

geysir
18/03/2013, 2:27 PM
Lustig @RB is back from injury and played on Saturday, he is fit for duty.

elroy
18/03/2013, 9:56 PM
Man for man, there is not a huge amount between the two teams. If we can go back to the solid defensive unit we were in the 2010 campaign and in the middle of the last campaign, then we have a good chance. Sweden score plenty of goals, but they also concede alot. My faith in Trap has been on the wane since last summer - I really hope he can get a result here to kickstart the campaign. I think playing Hoolahan from the start would be a very positive move but very unlikely at the same time. We need to show the possession performance we had in the second half against Poland and not the first. We all know by now, the hoof the ball long tactic is a disaster waiting to happen.

I presume the CB pairing will be Clark and JOSH - neither who I will feel overly confident against Zlatan.

mark12345
18/03/2013, 10:05 PM
I still think an off form Doyle is better than Sammon having the game of his life Anyway, my XI would probably be:

--------Forde-------
Coleman-O'Shea-SSL-Wilson
-----McCarthy-Whelan-----
--Long----Hoolahan---McClean
-----------Keane------

I think the same about Doyle. He's having a bad season at a bad club but this could have been a breakout game for him (after all he has proved himself at international level and Sammon has not).

As far as the team:

My feelings on O'Shea and Whelan are I would rather play with nine players than have them in the team. I saw O'Shea at the weekend and he is worse now than he ever was, which is saying something. He is the consummate hoof ball merchant who has absolutely no composure when pressured. Whelan will run all day at the same pace and down blind alleys. He is one of the least impressive midfielders ever to pull on a green shirt. I like Hoolahan, Long and McLean but would have Hendrick in for Whelan and Clark in for O'Shea. I believe Robbie Brady has a part to play also, at some stage of the game.

mark12345
18/03/2013, 10:06 PM
Anyone know where to watch the game online?

Charlie Darwin
18/03/2013, 10:20 PM
My feelings on O'Shea and Whelan are I would rather play with nine players than have them in the team. I saw O'Shea at the weekend and he is worse now than he ever was, which is saying something. He is the consummate hoof ball merchant who has absolutely no composure when pressured. Whelan will run all day at the same pace and down blind alleys. He is one of the least impressive midfielders ever to pull on a green shirt. I like Hoolahan, Long and McLean but would have Hendrick in for Whelan and Clark in for O'Shea. I believe Robbie Brady has a part to play also, at some stage of the game.
You seem to implying here that O'Shea has been a terrible player at some point. You have made an error of judgement. He had a poor game at the weekend alright but historically he's good a very good record.

SolitudeRed
18/03/2013, 10:26 PM
So is the general consensus that Forde will start then? He is starting regularly for Milwall I suppose which is more than Westwood can say, I know he made a couple of decent saves against Poland but some of his kick outs were terrible and one almost led to a goal IIRC.

the doc
19/03/2013, 7:27 AM
I presume the CB pairing will be Clark and JOSH - neither who I will feel overly confident against Zlatan.

Looks like that will be the starting CBs as Traps reluctant to play SSL due to lack of games.

Lets get behind the team whoever plays.
As always I'm 100% backing Ireland come what may.

COYBIG we can do this.

DannyInvincible
19/03/2013, 8:48 AM
Anyone know where to watch the game online?

It'll be broadcast live on the RTÉ Player, although that's Ireland-only. Otherwise, I'm sure plenty of streams will appear here on the day close to kick-off: http://www.lshunter.net/ or http://www.footballstreaming.info/streams/todays-links/index.html

tetsujin1979
19/03/2013, 10:09 AM
was listening to 2FM's Game On driving to Dublin last night (Off The Ball was doing their usual bank holiday "Best Of" show so I gave it a miss)
Dunphy was on talking about the squad selection, mainly the omission of Kevin Doyle, but also about Robbie Keane probably starting. According to Dunphy, he hasn't played in a couple of months, and shouldn't be starting as he won't be match fit. To be fair to the presenter, he did point out the MLS had started, but he didn't have Robbie's appearance stats to hand. Trapattoni had pointed out in an interview broadcast just before Dunphy came on that Keane had scored earlier in the week, and played the day before for LA Galaxy!

You can listen to the interview on their podcast here: http://podcast.rasset.ie/podcasts/audio/2013/0318/20130318_rte2fm-gameon-gameonoot_c20172734_20172737_232_.mp3
Dunphy comes on at the 4 minute mark, the debate about Keane is at 7 minutes

back of the net
19/03/2013, 11:34 AM
its all out attack on friday so...

http://balls.ie/football/glenn-hysen-sweden-has-defensive-frailties/

back of the net
19/03/2013, 11:36 AM
It'll be broadcast live on the RTÉ Player, although that's Ireland-only. Otherwise, I'm sure plenty of streams will appear here on the day close to kick-off: http://www.lshunter.net/ or http://www.footballstreaming.info/streams/todays-links/index.html

Danny try the below - have found it to be the best streaming site

www.wiziwig.tv

Junior
19/03/2013, 11:42 AM
So is this game not on Sky then for those outside ROI? Want to record it if possible.

I know we dont have much choice with CB's but I really fear Zlatan will make mince meat of JOSH and Clark (i'd prefer SSL over Clark for this one - despite him not being in the best of form and playing at FB for Leicester recently)- They are just not strong enough to hold their own against him. Thats no disgrace, he's a master at using his frame to retain possession and creating space (and putting the chances away!) but I really fear this could look like man against boys out there.

Hopefully we can muster up something up front with the relatively 'hungry' lads such as Long, Brady, McClean etc....

I hope and pray for something but I fear it will be comfratable for Sweden.

Its gonna be baltic as well, temperatures of -5 to -10 degrees.....

NeverFeltBetter
19/03/2013, 11:47 AM
I hear Trapattoni wants the stadium roof open to counter the atmosphere, but I dread to think what kind of game we'd be subjected to if it drops to the expected temperature.

ArdeeBhoy
19/03/2013, 11:48 AM
Aye, remember dissing Zlatan before. I was wrong. He can destroy us on his own.

It's less about the personnel, though we are largely mediocre, more about our tactics. Even if Glenn Hysen's right, Trap would probably still just play one up front at home to Bhutan FFS.

It's make or break these two games, 3 points in one game is a minimum, but suspect it may not happen.
:(

back of the net
19/03/2013, 11:50 AM
So is this game not on Sky then for those outside ROI? Want to record it if possible.

I know we dont have much choice with CB's but I really fear Zlatan will make mince meat of JOSH and Clark (i'd prefer SSL over Clark for this one - despite him not being in the best of form and playing at FB for Leicester recently)- They are just not strong enough to hold their own against him. Thats no disgrace, he's a master at using his frame to retain possession and creating space (and putting the chances away!) but I really fear this could look like man against boys out there.

Hopefully we can muster up something up front with the relatively 'hungry' lads such as Long, Brady, McClean etc....

I hope and pray for something but I fear it will be comfratable for Sweden.

Its gonna be baltic as well, temperatures of -5 to -10 degrees.....

didnt think SKY were showing it live at all AFAIK

Charlie Darwin
19/03/2013, 12:00 PM
Aye, remember dissing Zlatan before. I was wrong. He can destroy us on his own.

It's less about the personnel, though we are largely mediocre, more about our tactics. Even if Glenn Hysen's right, Trap would probably still just play one up front at home to Bhutan FFS.

It's make or break these two games, 3 points in one game is a minimum, but suspect it may not happen.
:(
But Trap plays two up front in every game.

ArdeeBhoy
19/03/2013, 12:09 PM
I was being facetious. The point is one of them normally plays so deep they might as well be in midfield and is appropriate for some opposition, but not all!