PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Sweden(A) 22 March & Austria(H) - 26 March 2013 - World Cup 2014 Qualifiers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18

Sullivinho
27/03/2013, 1:11 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/10104_10151568970821323_1457749159_n.jpg
Heaven knows they're miserable now.

Last Night I Dreamt That We Drew with Austria
Ireland Started Something They Couldn't Finish
Pessimism Begins at Home
The Group Is Dead
Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get a Win in Vienna
Defender in a Coma
There Is a Manager That Never Goes for Broke

etc.

Noelys Guitar
27/03/2013, 1:21 AM
Coleman, Wilson, Long, McClean and McCarthy have definitely improved the team. The problem being they should have been in the side and regulars well before now. My point being that Hoolahan should also be in the side and would improve the team further again. Possibly enough to actually beat sides like Sweden and Austria. Plus we have a Pilkington to come into the side. Another player who will improve the team. Forde is the real deal (hopefully improves his kicking), The chances of either Sweden or Austria beating us later this year is close to zero. Just another slight improvement in the team should be enough to get at least 4 points from the two games. Anything is still possible if we keep improving and I like the look of this current crop of players.

tricky_colour
27/03/2013, 1:33 AM
Last Night I Dreamt That We Drew with Austria
Ireland Started Something They Couldn't Finish
Pessimism Begins at Home
The Group Is Dead
Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get a Win in Vienna
Defender in a Coma
There Is a Manager That Never Goes for Broke

etc.

Looks like we finally plucked up the courage to go for broke in the last minute.
Better late than never.

Charlie Darwin
27/03/2013, 1:43 AM
wow. That is one of the worst written, indulgent pieces of tripe I have read in a long time and I agree with his general premise...
Staggering, isn't it? I don't know if he'll be reporting on tonight's game tomorrow, but I can only look forward a 16-paragraph evisceration of the Austrian school of economics followed by 5 sentences lamenting Trap's failure to pick Wes Hoolahan. Riveting.

According to the RTE's campaign montage of pieces of brilliant play by Wes, his overhit pass was perfectly struck but the inrushing Andy Keogh was out of position :)
I noticed the same thing. Ronnie Whelan in commentary savaged Keogh for not sticking out on his wing to receive the pass, where he presumably would have demonstrated his world-class ability to cross the ball into a box empty of all team mates. He made the right run but didn't receive the required quality of pass. Still, I think if Hoolahan had been on ten minutes earlier, he'd have nailed the pass and Keogh would have scored the important goal I've been tipping him to score for 2 years now.

Some of the worst management I've ever seen. Leaving on Sammon and taking off Long was incredible. An under 10s manager could have seen in 2nd half we needed someone to get on the ball.
I've seen a few posts like this and am just focusing on this one. He needed to take Long AND Sammon off, both of whom had run themselves into the ground. Green had to come on, but Doyle or Hoolahan on for Sammon, with five across midfield, would have shored up midfield for us. A better manager would have made the changes.

Few interesting bits in the RTE post-match coverage. Tony O'Donoghue stated that Shane Long told the press that he wasn't tired. This wasn't expressed during his interview following the man of the match awarding so I'm assuming it was communicated by Long when pressed by a journo somewhere in the mix
Who cares if Long says he wasn't tired? He clearly was. Besides, Trap was using "tired" as a euphamism, the same way Dunphy was "tired and emotional" when he couldn't appear in the studio during the '02 World Cup. Long was on a yellow card with 20 minutes to go and was kicking people. Trap made the mistake of not taking off Doyle in a similar situation vs Armenia a year or so back. He wasn't going to make it again.

On Trap, like most everybody else I'll be delighted when he's gone, but in spite of all the negatives I think we saw the benefits of his reign tonight. The first 45 minutes were flawless, Clark's error aside. We bossed a technically superior side and should have been more goals in front. Even in the second half, we started well and only through lack of experience did we cede the initiative. I don't think this team would have done the same with 3-4 more matches under their belts, and Trap needs to take responsibility for introducing these players too late. Still, we are more or less rock solid defensively and are finally starting to show the ability to play possession football, but it is probably 2 years too late because almost all of these players have been around that long.

So, Trap out, but kudos for making us a solid team.

On the subject of Sammon... I've watched this boy since he was playing schoolboy with Cherry Orchard and I've always thought he was muck. He was getting into Irish underage squads with literally dozens of more talented players left in his wake. Yet not one of those players has ever played at close to the standard he has. Tonight, I can see exactly why Trap selected him. We've endured 6 years of Kevin Doyle as a target man, flicking the ball on hopelessly to ABSOLUTELY NOBODY, and getting hailed as a hero for his efforts. Tonight we finally saw what happens when you have a tactically aware target man on the field - his flick-ons actually find a man, and that's entirely because Sammon plays with his head up and his brain switched on. He was clearly very nervous in possession, but his tactical play was superb and he sweat blood for the team.

You can criticise his raw ability all you want, but we wouldn't have done half the things we did well without him.

tricky_colour
27/03/2013, 2:20 AM
What puzzles me is that when the goal is scored McCarthy is further up the pitch than Walters, there is only
Sammon further up the pitch then him. It's like we are playing 4-3-3 or even 4-3-2-1 the famous Christmas tree formation.

Look here 2.33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85651lAgJa0
Sammon is in the centre circle.
McCarthy is right next to the player who heads the ball.
Walters is doing a 'scarecrow'.
at 2.34
Whelan was marking the goal scorer but leaves him to cover the player Green is marking,
We just seem so disorganised at this point many are not clear who they should be marking.
It's all pretty dreadful, McCarhy seems to be well out of position and we do what we always seem
to do, run towards the nearest player with the ball en mass.
Of course this leaves several players unmarked and it is doddle for that player to pass to one of the unmarked players,
which he will due do, and then we all run towards that player leaving further players unmarked.

This is pointless it means we end up knackered because we are running twice as far and they are..

The solution is simple, just one player runs towards him, then he has a big problem, he has nobody to pass to duh!!!!

tricky_colour
27/03/2013, 2:33 AM
I mean you can say what if the player marked by just one man gets beat?
Well tough, as long as nobody dives in then it's hard for them to be beat and left for dead, you just stand slightly off him
then it's very hard for him to get past you and he will probably lose the ball trying more often than not.

OK you can still get beat playing like this but you have a fighting chance as you are not having to run twice as far as the
opposition!!

ArdeeBhoy
27/03/2013, 3:58 AM
There is some awful drivel in this thread at this stage...

ArdeeBhoy
27/03/2013, 4:08 AM
The fact there are more negatives than positives currently...
:rolleyes:

mypost
27/03/2013, 4:09 AM
C'mon, don't kid yourself. Sweden have a game in hand.

Sweden also have to to go to Astana, Vienna, and here, and get results. We know what they're like, and I can't see them getting 9/9 somehow.

They all count. And that one has cost us very dearly. No way in hell you can claim we were robbed.

I have and I will. We'll know in October what it cost us. Germany let slip a 4 goal lead in this campaign in injury time. Hasn't hurt them too much though.

Barring a miracle. Are you genuinely optimistic?...

We have the same points as the playoff spot, with half the campaign to go. We don't need miracles, we just have to finish a point ahead of them with half of our remaining home games against the minnows.

On Trap, like most everybody else I'll be delighted when he's gone, but in spite of all the negatives I think we saw the benefits of his reign tonight. The first 45 minutes were flawless, Clark's error aside. We bossed a technically superior side and should have been more goals in front. Even in the second half, we started well and only through lack of experience did we cede the initiative. Still, we are more or less rock solid defensively and are finally starting to show the ability to play possession football.

So, Trap out, but kudos for making us a solid team.

So if we are as good as the above, why change?

Spudulika
27/03/2013, 6:12 AM
Watched the match last night - no mention by the commentators during or after the match about Wilson's constant poor decisions - then again, he's been "wronged".

TOD's interview afterwards was guided by the idiots in RTE, it made a mockery of reporting.

Dunphy is a disgrace. Laughing Bill is beyond caricature.

I was devastated with the equaliser, though despite the balance from Giles and Brady, RTE were a disgrace. Dunphy "speaking" for the public - sorry, you're not. maybe for the pub bore and idiot whose larda@s hasn't seen a LOI ground but is guided by the idiots in the meeja. Sick to the teeth of this crap. Bad enough Ken Early infests the Irish Times, it's embarrassing to be Irish. And not because of our manager, or players.

brine3
27/03/2013, 7:28 AM
by the look of all those empty seats out there, there isn't much of a "public" to speak of anymore

jbyrne
27/03/2013, 7:48 AM
by the look of all those empty seats out there, there isn't much of a "public" to speak of anymore

still probably one of the bigger attendances on the night i would imagine

Kingdom
27/03/2013, 8:14 AM
I actually thought Trap got it right for most of the match. Sammon was fine. Yes he's limited, but he did his job reasonably well. Trap lost it in the last 15-20 minutes.

Not picking on you, but what was his job exactly in your eyes?

Duggie
27/03/2013, 8:29 AM
im still sick after last night and im raging we didnt hold on. we needed fresh legs in the last half hour. i would have brought doyle on for sammon, green on for whelan and prob hoolahan for walters. that would have given us some life when we needed it. lads in fairness sammon isnt good enough. he tried hard last night and did a lot of closing down but he offered nothing in attack. gutted for shane long, he was unreal last night. james mcclean is the last 2 games has really come good and looks the player we thought he was. i cant say anymore, will take me days to get over this...

paul_oshea
27/03/2013, 8:44 AM
I actually couldn't sleep properly last night thinking about this.

I don't want to apportion too much blame on the players for the last goal, they were shagged, but what was Forde doing so far off his line, and whoever should have come on out on Alaba got the deflection that brought it up and under, without this it wouldn't have got over and under Forde. But thats only little details.

I'm not buying this thing about Long being brought off was right. Long is a grown man he is not a young fella, he carrys the burden if he gets sent off, Trap is the manager its his job to make the correct decisions, bringing Long off was not the correct the decision, you weigh up the impact, Trap takes the blame completely for this one.

The difference between yesterday and Friday was we had keane playing a deep lying striker, coming back to link up play. IN the second half we were crying out for this, as our midfield tired and we couldn't get any numbers in midfield. The midfield were badly exposed and needed more help they tired very quickly, something I wasn't sure why exactly for players playing every week they tired very quickly, but Trap never made the changes.

I said at half time that Alaba could do something, I said at 70 mins to my mates, Trap has gotten away with this holding out against mediocre opposition and letting them attack us without any outlet and that he wont get away with it any longer, on 90 mins I said Austria will get 1 more chance. And they did. I really think they were awful they didn't do that much and we panicked everytime they got near our final third.

I thought he should have made a change on 90. Slow things down. Pack the midfield.

What was he doing bringing green on ans pushing walters up front? IT should have been sammon off green into midfield stick walters up on his own.

Austrias defence is ridiculously bad, Alaba and their number 7 are there only decent players. We should have beaten these 3 or 4-1 to be honest, and i put the blame firmly on Trap for this. I can't see them beating sweden but thats what we need, I don't see them as good enough to do enough to get 2nd. But I can see Sweden beating them in Austria.

DannyInvincible
27/03/2013, 8:47 AM
We know what they're like

Seasoned qualifiers, you mean?... How do we compare?

I have and I will.

Could you expand on that? Are you saying the Austrian equaliser was undeserved or implying it came as a surprise/out of the blue? Alaba's goal was on the cards for the last 20 minutes. They had 60 per cent of the overall possession. At one point towards the end of the game, a stat-bar popped up to inform us they were enjoying a ten-minute spell of 87 per cent of possession in their favour. We were clearly on the ropes. Throughout the game, they had 11 attempts on goal compared to our 6. And yet we were robbed, just because their goal came late? That doesn't add up. It doesn't matter when their goal was scored. They all count. Our inability to see out the game due to poor tactical decisions handed them their equaliser. To claim we've been victim to a theft of some sort is a gross distortion of the truth.

Germany let slip a 4 goal lead in this campaign in injury time. Hasn't hurt them too much though.

... Because they've managed to win all five of their other fixtures. Unlike us.

We have the same points as the playoff spot, with half the campaign to go.

Not quite. Sweden have a game in hand.

We don't need miracles, we just have to finish a point ahead of them with half of our remaining home games against the minnows.

Even if we do manage to somehow finish second, we'll have to ensure that we're not the ninth-worst second-placed team of all the nine groups.

still probably one of the bigger attendances on the night i would imagine

Attendance was 50,000, according to the BBC. Is that correct? Was there an official attendance given? I noticed a lot of empty seats around the corners and in the upper tiers when the teams came out, although the ground did fill up a bit by kick-off.

pineapple stu
27/03/2013, 8:50 AM
Crowd was 36100, I saw somewhere.

Dunno why people are arguing with mypost. Should be obvious by now he doesn't do logic.

Didn't see the game - was at a removal, which kind of puts things in perspective - but the comment has previously been made that Trap is getting the best out of a limited group of players, so he is the best for the job. But then you look at how well we played in Sweden, and then how badly we played against Kazakhstan, Germany and - it seems - Austria, and you have to wonder if that really is the case. I don't think we've anything to fear from a new manager.

Though regardless, we all know the FAI haven't the money to sack him.

DeLorean
27/03/2013, 8:57 AM
Ah lads I'm still not right after it. A cruel way to drop the points even if we were outplayed for most of the second half. That first half performance and even the defending in second half would make a man proud though! The substitutions and lack thereof really didn't help our cause but you couldn't fault the tactics otherwise. We put so much in to that first half we really should have been bringing on fresh legs around the hour mark. McCarthy faded big time in the second half and I'd have replaced him with Green. Sammon was completely out on his feet and Hoolahan was a no-brainer at that stage, as we were finding it so difficult to retain the ball. Long was still flying at the time he was taken off. Thankfully James McClean kept his best performances of the season for us, absolutely outstanding on the night along with Walters, Long and McCarthy in the first half. Clark's error was a carbon copy of his blunder for Villa against City a couple of weeks ago, with the same result. Slightly worrying that he didn't learn from his mistake but he recovered pretty well both nights.

I couldn't help but feel gutted for Trap as well when he started spouting Italian accidentally to that moron Tony O'Donoghue, he was in no mental state to do an interview really.

Obviously it was a very damaging night for our qualification prospects but it was an encouraging night for the future. We still have plenty to look forward to over the next few months, trips to Wales and Wembley followed by three points against the Faroes. McCarthy and Long probably picked a good game to use up their suspensions. With Sweden going to Vienna on the same night maybe, just maybe we'll be back in contention with a cup final against Sweden at the Aviva to follow.

DannyInvincible
27/03/2013, 9:15 AM
I couldn't help but feel gutted for Trap as well when he started spouting Italian accidentally to that moron Tony O'Donoghue, he was in no mental state to do an interview really.

Here's the post-game interview: http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/813/378548/

He actually began the interview in German with, "Wenn wir das Spiel gespielt...", which translates as, "When we played the game...". RTÉ had just shown footage of him conversing with the Austrian coaches/staff in the tunnel after the game, presumably in German. That probably explains the confusion. I did feel sympathy for Trap during the interview. He looked increasingly forlorn and exasperated as Tony stirred.

shakermaker1982
27/03/2013, 9:27 AM
I won't bite at the Trap apologist posters today. If you try and defend that shambolic second half.......

barney
27/03/2013, 9:54 AM
I'd have defended Trap up to now. He's done a good job for my money but last night, while not a disastrous performance, showed me he has to go.

He could have won us that game. It made no sense to maintain a 4-4-2 formation and stick Paul Green on the wing. It really didn't. The midfield should have been packed, we were getting murdered in there. That's not me being wise after the event, that's what anyone could see whilst watching the game. It was a daft decision. Personally, I couldn't understand Long coming off. He was a better outlet than Sammon. The ball was sticking to him more often. Ok, he might have been sent off but he probably wouldn't have been in my view.

Also, not brining Hoolahan on was brainless. I wasn't surprised but we needed someone to get a foot on the ball and Whelan and McCarthy were struggling. Not making a final sub to run down the clock was also stupid.

They were all really, really poor decisions. Any one of those 4 in isolation (except maybe the Long/Sammon one) would have won us the game in my view. All four were basic common sense decisions so not to have made any of them smacks of a man who probably should call it a day.

The man has left a great legacy in football. His achievements are exceptional. He's done well with us, I'll remember him fondly if he goes. He deserves better than the treatment he got from Tony O'Donoghue who seems to think that he's Jeremy Paxman or someone. It saddens me that such a great football man's job is at the mercy of a clown like John Delaney while he has to take that rubbish from a non-entity like O'Donoghue. All that said, he seems incapable of making basic decisions correctly and has clearly had a lot of communication issues with this squad and for those reasons, I think his time has come.

paul_oshea
27/03/2013, 10:01 AM
Can someone explain this worst runner up thing. I'm still too wound up to work it out, and I'm always looking for punishment so I will somehow try and convince myself that we still have a chance.

We would have a chance if we were capable of beating a decent team away from home, or a team of similar quality to us away.

I will say this though. If Austria beat sweden at home, we still have a chance of coming second. Whether thats good enough to get a play-off I dont know yet :) But I don't actually think Austria are good enough to do that, really. They are technically poor, and extremely weak at the back. Ibrahimovic will have a field day with these clowns.

SwanVsDalton
27/03/2013, 10:03 AM
Even in the second half, we started well and only through lack of experience did we cede the initiative. I don't think this team would have done the same with 3-4 more matches under their belts, and Trap needs to take responsibility for introducing these players too late. Still, we are more or less rock solid defensively and are finally starting to show the ability to play possession football, but it is probably 2 years too late because almost all of these players have been around that long.

Agree with this, although it's not an apologist stance. He should carry the can for poor substitute decisions and not recognising the team he had out there couldn't carry the weight. An extra measure of composure and experience and we'd be feeling differently today (although still bemoaning a team who invites the opposition on).

Also agree Keane would've made a difference tonight, either playing deep as on Friday or using his experience or popping up with a goal.

And, as impressed as I was with Long (he was desperately unlucky with that backheel), he had two fantastic opportunities to cross in the second half when we broke at pace. Both times he was in acres of space, in the 18 yard box and at the byline and both times he fluffed it. Not just on Long but if we were a bit more clinical and we'd have been home and hosed by the last ten.

Disagree on the Sammon stuff though - forgot to quote it but while he got his head on a few things, I think he's no better than Walters as a target man and a step below in his general game. He did ok in spells but didn't win a header of note in the last half hour. Defender got on top of completely and a tiredness took over. When play came to his feet he was poor.

Bungle
27/03/2013, 10:18 AM
I'd have defended Trap up to now. He's done a good job for my money but last night, while not a disastrous performance, showed me he has to go.

He could have won us that game. It made no sense to maintain a 4-4-2 formation and stick Paul Green on the wing. It really didn't. The midfield should have been packed, we were getting murdered in there. That's not me being wise after the event, that's what anyone could see whilst watching the game. It was a daft decision. Personally, I couldn't understand Long coming off. He was a better outlet than Sammon. The ball was sticking to him more often. Ok, he might have been sent off but he probably wouldn't have been in my view.

Also, not brining Hoolahan on was brainless. I wasn't surprised but we needed someone to get a foot on the ball and Whelan and McCarthy were struggling. Not making a final sub to run down the clock was also stupid.

They were all really, really poor decisions. Any one of those 4 in isolation (except maybe the Long/Sammon one) would have won us the game in my view. All four were basic common sense decisions so not to have made any of them smacks of a man who probably should call it a day.

The man has left a great legacy in football. His achievements are exceptional. He's done well with us, I'll remember him fondly if he goes. He deserves better than the treatment he got from Tony O'Donoghue who seems to think that he's Jeremy Paxman or someone. It saddens me that such a great football man's job is at the mercy of a clown like John Delaney while he has to take that rubbish from a non-entity like O'Donoghue. All that said, he seems incapable of making basic decisions correctly and has clearly had a lot of communication issues with this squad and for those reasons, I think his time has come.

Trapwas a great player and an even greater manager, of that there is no doubt.

However, he has treated this job as the ultimate retirement gig, pocketing millions from his villa in Norther Italy and barely going to any matches, until we get drubbed 6-1 at home by Germany. His communication with the players is nothing short of a disgrace and he makes Don Givens seem like the Dalai Lama, Padre Pio and Nelson Mandela rolled into one. When you think of some of our very good performers last night - Coleman, Wilson, McCarthy, McClean - all four young hungry lads that have good futures in the game, especially McCarthy and Coleman. All of them, especially Coleman, Wilson and McCarthy should be seasoned internationals by now and have had the experience of playing at Euro 2012 under their belt.

Sammon is a good lad who gives 100%, as is Green, Keogh and McShane. If you don't have anything better, then you play guys like them. To be fair to Trap, Green was excellent in Sweden, but it is such as concern that he was prepared to drop McCarthy in the first place to facilitate him. All of the players above are in the team and squad ahead of far better players - Hoolahan and Joey O'Brien spring to mind immediately (I will give Trap the benefit with Gibson because he is a total arsehole from what I can see who wants to play for Ireland on his own terms.).

We talk about great footballing people, but you live and die by the sword. I'm sure that alot of the Man U, Arsenal, Everton fans on here weren't too upset when it went belly up for Kenny at Liverpool. Now there was a great player, great manager in his first stint there and a man who has tirelessly given everything for the club and the city through some of its darkest hours. He worked his backside off for Liverpool, but his signings were very poor and he deserved to get sacked. I just want to point out that I am not a Liverpool fan, but I was saddened as a football lover, that it ended so badly for him. However, he and Wenger deserve so much sympathy because they are proper football men who gave 100% for their clubs. Trap was in the past somebody who gave 100% and you can see the loyalty he inspires in his old soldiers like Chippy, but I think you would want to be incredibly naive to think he has given 100% for us and has the same loyalty from our lads.

DannyInvincible
27/03/2013, 10:25 AM
Can someone explain this worst runner up thing. I'm still too wound up to work it out, and I'm always looking for punishment so I will somehow try and convince myself that we still have a chance.

We would have a chance if we were capable of beating a decent team away from home, or a team of similar quality to us away.

I will say this though. If Austria beat sweden at home, we still have a chance of coming second. Whether thats good enough to get a play-off I dont know yet :) But I don't actually think Austria are good enough to do that, really. They are technically poor, and extremely weak at the back. Ibrahimovic will have a field day with these clowns.

The eight best runners-up (determined by records against the first, third, fourth and fifth-placed teams in their groups, to ensure balance between different groups as Group I has only five teams) will be drawn into two-legged play-offs. There has been no indication that the play-off draw will be seeded as of yet, but as we know from the World Cup 2010 and Euro 2012 play-offs, that can, and probably will, change. We'd have little hope of being seeded in such an eventuality, just looking at the likely second-placed finishers.

The ranking of second-placed teams for the play-offs is explained/shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#Ranking_o f_second-placed_teams

tetsujin1979
27/03/2013, 10:26 AM
Pretty simple really, the worst second place team doesn't get into the play offs
Current standings on the wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%28UEFA%29#Ranki ng_of_second-placed_teams

barney
27/03/2013, 10:34 AM
Trapwas a great player and an even greater manager, of that there is no doubt.

However, he has treated this job as the ultimate retirement gig, pocketing millions from his villa in Norther Italy and barely going to any matches, until we get drubbed 6-1 at home by Germany. His communication with the players is nothing short of a disgrace and he makes Don Givens seem like the Dalai Lama, Padre Pio and Nelson Mandela rolled into one. When you think of some of our very good performers last night - Coleman, Wilson, McCarthy, McClean - all four young hungry lads that have good futures in the game, especially McCarthy and Coleman. All of them, especially Coleman, Wilson and McCarthy should be seasoned internationals by now and have had the experience of playing at Euro 2012 under their belt.

Sammon is a good lad who gives 100%, as is Green, Keogh and McShane. If you don't have anything better, then you play guys like them. To be fair to Trap, Green was excellent in Sweden, but it is such as concern that he was prepared to drop McCarthy in the first place to facilitate him. All of the players above are in the team and squad ahead of far better players - Hoolahan and Joey O'Brien spring to mind immediately (I will give Trap the benefit with Gibson because he is a total arsehole from what I can see who wants to play for Ireland on his own terms.).

We talk about great footballing people, but you live and die by the sword. I'm sure that alot of the Man U, Arsenal, Everton fans on here weren't too upset when it went belly up for Kenny at Liverpool. Now there was a great player, great manager in his first stint there and a man who has tirelessly given everything for the club and the city through some of its darkest hours. He worked his backside off for Liverpool, but his signings were very poor and he deserved to get sacked. I just want to point out that I am not a Liverpool fan, but I was saddened as a football lover, that it ended so badly for him. However, he and Wenger deserve so much sympathy because they are proper football men who gave 100% for their clubs. Trap was in the past somebody who gave 100% and you can see the loyalty he inspires in his old soldiers like Chippy, but I think you would want to be incredibly naive to think he has given 100% for us and has the same loyalty from our lads.

No, I don't believe he has 100% loyalty from our lads. I believe that when he goes, we will get a lot of players coming out and saying how little the enjoyed it under him. That in itself isn't a bad thing, he isn't paid to be popular but the communication problems have been terrible and indicative of very real issues.

In terms of the players you mentioned, I agree to an extent. I would say though that, whether I agree or disagree, Trap seems to think that you get nothing easy and you have to earn your place in the squad/team and not walk into it. Presumably he feels that approach builds loyalty and team spirit even if the players he is leaving out are better than the ones he is putting in. Maybe he's onto something, in today's world everyone wants everything now and no-one has any patience and as a result, a long-term view is never taken on anything. Remember when Andy Reid was our saviour and Trap wouldn't pick him? Turned out Reid was never as good as some people thought. Ditto Stephen Ireland. Not saying I agree completely with Trap's approach but it might not be completely bereft of sense. Perhaps the approach is why people like Brady respect him so much.

For me, his results aren't terrible enough to warrant the sack. He isn't doing an atrocious job. We are performing in or around where I'd expect from this group of players results wise. However, there are some very worrying signs for my money (communication problems being the biggest) and these are the reason I'd look for someone else.

Noelys Guitar
27/03/2013, 10:36 AM
The biggest mistake the management made last night was their handling of the three minutes of injury time. ANY substitution would have used up to one of those minutes. Instructions could have been passed directly to the players. That was a big mistake. It would also have broken up some of the momentum of Austria's play. Would Doyle have done a better job than Sammon (who gave everything)? Probably. I would have left Long on (fell into the player when he got a booking. It was never a losing his temper situation). Drought Doyle on for Sammon. Green for McCarthy. And Hoolahan for Walters. But Trapatonni has to also take credit for the attitude and commitment shown by the players in the last two games. Pilkington, Hoolahan and a hopefully resurgent Doyle will improve this team again.

Kingdom
27/03/2013, 10:40 AM
This is it. I haven't felt so low in a while. As I said after the Swedish match I'm sick of drawing when we should win and going out and getting gutsy draws. We can play when we're allowed.

Sammon was useful as the Austrians hadn't a clue how to handle him and Long was magnificent in taking on the knockdowns when they came.

McClean had is best game in an Irish shirt. McCarthy's ability to spot some of the passes he made was something to behold at times.

But once we had them on the ropes we tired and Plan A wasn't gonna work when we were tired. Wessi or Doyle needed to come on at that stage. I had no issue with Green coming on or even Long going off but how the formation went at that stage was unacceptable.

For some people to write off that goal as bad luck or a bad deflection is a cop-out. When you allow a player the space that Alaba had to take a shot through a crowded box you end up with something like that. We had done everything right and again an Irish team failed to kill off an inferior opponent. So what that they can pass the pall, so could the Armenians but we were better than them tonight and changing our tactics from 60' onwards would have won that game handily.

I wanted to wait to see tonight out before making my judgement and we need a change at the top. NOW!
The only thing that Alaba's goal did was make me feel ill it hasn't affected my judgement on Trap.

That last 30' was why Trap should go. Not the equaliser. A pox.

I think these are two beautiful posts, and show that you can be critical of something without dropping to the gutter in the process.

I was very surprised Weimann didn't start - I thought he would really hurt us between the lines. And sure enough when he was brought in, he immediately found himself in about 15 yards of space and it started the ball rolling for the wave of attacks.

What is really disappointing about the situation we find ourselves in, is that it is entirely of our own making. We started like a train against Sweden, aggressive, pressing high and playing football, and to be honest it probably had a befuddling effect on Sweden and they never really got into a rhythm. So why then couldn't we do the same last night?
Austria have done well underage over the past few years, improving incrementally, and we wouldn't have held any fear for them. It was said that they were inexperienced and would crumble under a bit of pressure. This showed to be true. They play nice football, but are weak at full back. But they can knock the ball around. This also showed last night, when we gave the impetus to them they got their confidence back, and lets give them the credit they deserve - they pummelled us for 25 mins and fully merited the equaliser.

Personally, I'd be happy to see the manager relieved of his duties immediately. We're in a weak position. First of all at this moment in time, our group will not have a play-off place. That's embarassing. Second of all, Sweden have the experience of ecking out results to secure qualification. Remember they beat a 100% record Dutch side in the final game to qualify automatically last time out. I think they'll have enough for Austria home and away, and knowing that we'd have to attack them in Lansdowne, I feel they'll be comfortable enough in Dublin in our current guise. I'd fancy them to get a point at home to der Mannschaft in the last game if they need it.
The crucial reason I'd sever ties with the manager now though is this: Our next assignment is a friendly against England. That is a free pass; we then have georgia before our next qualifier in June to the Faroes. That is a banker. We also have friendlies against Wales, and the possibility of a small tour in the USA. I really feel that is a good series of games to bed a new guy in, with the remaining competitive qualifiers to come to set out a stall and a method to our play to ensure we qualify for Euro 2016. That now has to be the ultimate goal in the short-term.

I state again that I believe individually we're better than we've been showing, and that we're better collectively than we've been showing. For gad's sake, the North with their ****-poor pool of players have had bigger scalps than us in the more recent past.
I refuse to accept that there isn't managers willing and available that could do better than we have at present for significantly less money.

The requisites for a new manager are:
To be able to communicate effectively in English to the players - to hell with the media.
To be able to demonstrate tactical acumen before and during games. i.e. to change formation when necessary, or to develop a formation/modus operandi to get the most from our players - eg Marcelo Bielsa and Chile.
To have relative success on his cv. We don't need the Jose Mourinho's, but I've no issue with the relative unknowns, so long as there is something to show.

Stop employing old British has-beens to find our next manager.

Crosby87
I'll tell you what, Tilda Swinton was at it again at the Museum of Modern Art yesterday. Give me a second here to explain.
She gets into a bed before the gates open, and doesnt get out until MOMA closes for the night. Must be at least 8 hours if not 10. She puts herself into a trance. She is a Scot, but with Irish blood like James McCarthy and Aiden McG. My point is, she is 50 and she doesn't have to go to the bathroom one time. Im 35 and i pee about 50 times a day. You people from being raised over there with that stron ability to hold on have that extra "oomph" like Tilda.
Ireland will Qualify, because they have that intangible ability to see things out like Tilda Swinton does.
After seeing her laying there I'm sure of it.

Dodge
Pretty simple really, the worst second place team doesn't get into the play offs
Current standings on the wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%28UEFA%29#Ranki ng_of_second-placed_teams

They should really put a column on that graph that would show points per game too IMO. Doesn't change the position of our group but would give a more accurate 'as they stand' position (Bulgaria drop below England & Iceland)

geysir
27/03/2013, 10:41 AM
Austria .......They are technically poor, and extremely weak at the back. Ibrahimovic will have a field day with these clowns.
Austria, technically were a few rungs ahead of us. Defensively they're not that different from us, unlike us they managed okay against Germany.
By your reckoning, we are currently in the pits of European football, below the likes of Austria and Sweden.
I wouldn't argue against that.

Bungle
27/03/2013, 10:44 AM
Barney, I can see value in some of what you are saying. I think as I said that somebody like Gibson who I rate as a player should be nowhere near our squad, until he learns a bit of dignity and respect. However, some of the lads he has left out until recently strike me as guys who are not just better players, but guys who give 100%, like Coleman, Wilson and McCarthy. These are not just talented young lads, but they are committed to the green shirt. They are the very players you can build a team around and none of them are big time charlies - McClean isn't a big time charlie but has shown that in his own way he can be disruptive. Hoolahan and O'Brien strike me as lads who would give anything to be out on the pitch for us.

paul_oshea
27/03/2013, 10:46 AM
The eight best runners-up (determined by records against the first, third, fourth and fifth-placed teams in their groups, to ensure balance between different groups as Group I has only five teams) will be drawn into two-legged play-offs. There has been no indication that the play-off draw will be seeded as of yet, but as we know from the World Cup 2010 and Euro 2012 play-offs, that can, and probably will, change. We'd have little hope of being seeded in such an eventuality, just looking at the likely second-placed finishers.

The ranking of second-placed teams for the play-offs is explained/shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#Ranking_o f_second-placed_teams

So Israel are below us then? What was stu saying? Or is he saying that if we were to be a point ahead of austria then we would be bottom because Austra are the worst 4th placed team? So the fact that we didn't beat austria as opposed to drawing with them is held against us in that sense.

ArdeeBhoy
27/03/2013, 10:48 AM
But Trapatonni has to also take credit for the attitude and commitment shown by the players in the last two games.

Surely that's in spite of him, not because of...

ArdeeBhoy
27/03/2013, 10:50 AM
So Israel are below us then? What was stu saying? Or is he saying that if we were to be a point ahead of austria then we would be bottom because Austra are the worst 4th placed team? So the fact that we didn't beat austria as opposed to drawing with them is held against us in that sense.

Just follow (& bookmark?) the table FFS!

barney
27/03/2013, 10:54 AM
Barney, I can see value in some of what you are saying. I think as I said that somebody like Gibson who I rate as a player should be nowhere near our squad, until he learns a bit of dignity and respect. However, some of the lads he has left out until recently strike me as guys who are not just better players, but guys who give 100%, like Coleman, Wilson and McCarthy. These are not just talented young lads, but they are committed to the green shirt. They are the very players you can build a team around and none of them are big time charlies - McClean isn't a big time charlie but has shown that in his own way he can be disruptive. Hoolahan and O'Brien strike me as lads who would give anything to be out on the pitch for us.

I think you're right but if the manager's mindset is that anyone who gets into the squad has to wait for their chance, then it doesn't matter what kind of lad they are. Maybe that's Trap's way of weeding out the trouble-makers from the others. For example, Gibson proved himself a problem when he didn't get in the team, Coleman didn't. However, if Trap puts them both in immediately, how does he find out what each player is made of?

DannyInvincible
27/03/2013, 10:58 AM

If we were included in that table right now (in the place of Austria), we'd be positioned ninth, behind Israel, with 5 points and a goal difference of -4. Our 4-1 victory away to the Faroe Islands is discounted, you see. As things stand, we have little hope of even making it into that mix. Of course, things can change, but I wouldn't be overly optimistic.

ArdeeBhoy
27/03/2013, 10:59 AM
Or we might have had two more points and a GD of -3.
:(

DannyInvincible
27/03/2013, 11:05 AM
I'll tell you what, Tilda Swinton was at it again at the Museum of Modern Art yesterday. Give me a second here to explain.
She gets into a bed before the gates open, and doesnt get out until MOMA closes for the night. Must be at least 8 hours if not 10. She puts herself into a trance. She is a Scot, but with Irish blood like James McCarthy and Aiden McG. My point is, she is 50 and she doesn't have to go to the bathroom one time. Im 35 and i pee about 50 times a day. You people from being raised over there with that stron ability to hold on have that extra "oomph" like Tilda.
Ireland will Qualify, because they have that intangible ability to see things out like Tilda Swinton does.
After seeing her laying there I'm sure of it.

... If it's of any relevance at all, I don't think Tilda Swinton has any Irish blood in her actually.

shakermaker1982
27/03/2013, 11:07 AM
Do you want to know who we have beaten in competitive matches at home under the Trap?

Cyprus
Georgia
Andorra
Macedonia
Armenia

Does that fill you with any hope that we might actually take 3 points from the Sweden game? A miracle is now needed to finish 2nd and have enough points to qualify for the play offs. Therefore the FAI can get rid NOW and start building for the Euro 2016 campaign.

barney
27/03/2013, 11:09 AM
Do you want to know who we have beaten in competitive matches at home under the Trap?

Cyprus
Georgia
Andorra
Macedonia
Armenia

Does that fill you with any hope that we might actually take 3 points from the Sweden game? A miracle is now needed to finish 2nd and have enough points to qualify for the play offs. Therefore the FAI can get rid NOW and start building for the Euro 2016 campaign.

Might be a bit of an overstatement?

DeLorean
27/03/2013, 11:17 AM
First of all at this moment in time, our group will not have a play-off place. That's embarassing.

How is it embarrassing? All that represents is that you've got one stand out team and a bunch of teams who are of similar ability. Finishing first out of Sweden, Austria and ourselves surely merits a playoff spot as much, if not more, than France finishing ahead of Finland and Belarus.

The system is dumb anyway. The likes of San Marino, Liechtenstein, etc. should have to pre-qualify. Let the best of the minnows make it to qualifying proper. Have eight groups and even things out. As it stands all the countries have to engage in two meaningless formalities of racking up goals and points against these teams and then they don't even count at the end. Total nonsense.

tetsujin1979
27/03/2013, 11:22 AM
They should really put a column on that graph that would show points per game too IMO. Doesn't change the position of our group but would give a more accurate 'as they stand' position (Bulgaria drop below England & Iceland)
If you think it would be useful, add it in yourself.

Kingdom
27/03/2013, 11:23 AM
How is it embarrassing? All that represents is that you've got one stand out team and a bunch of teams who are of similar ability. Finishing first out of Sweden, Austria and ourselves surely merits a playoff spot as much, if not more, than France finishing ahead of Finland and Belarus.

The system is dumb anyway. The likes of San Marino, Liechtenstein, etc. should have to pre-qualify. Let the best of the minnows make it to qualifying proper. Have eight groups and even things out. As it stands all the countries have to engage in two meaningless formalities of racking up goals and points against these teams and then they don't even count at the end. Total nonsense.

It's embarassing because it means that not only are we garbage, but we stink worse than other garbage. France will be finishing ahead of Spain, no?

Tell me the difference between Ireland's heroic performance in Russia September 2012 and Liechtenstein's heroic 0-0 draw with us in 1995? Because in both cases one team stuck on a chastity belt, bent-over and breathed deep for 90 mins, then laughed in relief.

EAFC_rdfl
27/03/2013, 11:30 AM
What puzzles me is that when the goal is scored McCarthy is further up the pitch than Walters, there is only
Sammon further up the pitch then him. It's like we are playing 4-3-3 or even 4-3-2-1 the famous Christmas tree formation.

Look here 2.33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85651lAgJa0
Sammon is in the centre circle.
McCarthy is right next to the player who heads the ball.
Walters is doing a 'scarecrow'.
at 2.34
Whelan was marking the goal scorer but leaves him to cover the player Green is marking,
We just seem so disorganised at this point many are not clear who they should be marking.
It's all pretty dreadful, McCarhy seems to be well out of position and we do what we always seem
to do, run towards the nearest player with the ball en mass.
Of course this leaves several players unmarked and it is doddle for that player to pass to one of the unmarked players,
which he will due do, and then we all run towards that player leaving further players unmarked.

This is pointless it means we end up knackered because we are running twice as far and they are..

The solution is simple, just one player runs towards him, then he has a big problem, he has nobody to pass to duh!!!!

Now as annoying as most of the in-game comments from you were :p, the above hits the nail on the head.
To me it looked like Walters was expecting the fulltime whistle (crowd were whistling at the time), but there was still 2 mins left, he must have known that. He was waving arms as if to say - blow it up ref. Why the hell wasn't he busting an albeit already knackered gut to try get back into a defensive position.
A huge amount of the equaliser comes down to lads being so knackered from the style of play - chasing and pressing - that they just couldn't keep the concentration levels up high enough. Whelan was flat on his feet for the last 20 mins. If that Austria move had of been earlier in the game Alaba wouldn't have had the time he got. Tired body = tired mind unfortunately. The 3 subs available should have been used before the 80th minute. sickened

DeLorean
27/03/2013, 11:30 AM
It's embarassing because it means that not only are we garbage, but we stink worse than other garbage. France will be finishing ahead of Spain, no?

Spain beat France 1-0 away last night to move top. I've already explained why I don't think a group with lower points totals represents an inferior group, just a more even group.

Tell me the difference between Ireland's heroic performance in Russia September 2012 and Liechtenstein's heroic 0-0 draw with us in 1995? Because in both cases one team stuck on a chastity belt, bent-over and breathed deep for 90 mins, then laughed in relief.

Liechtenstein's was a far greater achievement but it's beside the point I was making. We regularly get draws away to the likes of Russia and are competitive. It's very rare that the San Marino's of the world produce anything worthwhile so I feel it would be better for everybody, possibly including themselves, to even up the groups and have more competitive games.

ArdeeBhoy
27/03/2013, 11:35 AM
Stop employing old British has-beens to find our next manager.

Like, who exactly? Jack Charlton?

ArdeeBhoy
27/03/2013, 12:18 PM
http://balls.ie/football/5-talking-points-from-irelands-disappointing-draw-with-austria/

Stuttgart88
27/03/2013, 12:28 PM
I'm actually more negative than Brian Kerr today, and that's not usual.

First up, the inclusion of Sammon was a nonsensical disaster. Poor lad, it's not his fault he's not up to the standard required. Trap is making us regret calling for him to go to more matches. He'd never have seen him otherwise. Giles' Herald preview predicted he'd be out of his depth and his inclusion signalled a return to hoofball afteer proper football on Friday - he was 100% right.

Many pundits including Kerr have said Whelan was good. I disagree. He offered nothing over and above the bare minimum a CM should be able to do, and at times he looked panicky on the ball and struggled with the basics. He was one paced too, but in fairness took some decent frees / corners. I'm usually the last one here defending Whelan but I thought he looked very limited. As soon as Trap stumbles on a more effective midfield, he rips it all up again. Why?

Kerr said we played well in parts. Very very few parts in my view, and generaly isolated bits of individual play rather than cohesive team play. The game plan was awful. We were only ahead at half time because of superior attrition. Attrition is not playing well, even if it works.

We might have scored a 3rd from another set piece but after their keeper made a good save that was it as far as I recall. From then we sat back and allowed them to outnumber us in key areas while Trap just looked on. I couldn't believe the utterly ineffective Sammon (why play hoofball if your centre-forward loses most of his aerial duels?) stayed on. Cox, Doyle or Hoolahan would all have been better options than leaving Sammon on, and I also couldn't believe Walters moved upfront to stay at 442.

Utterly bizarre and inept management. In fact our approach to the whole game was so devoid of what Giles always refers to as moral courage I'd say it was a cowardly showing from Trap. The players were all game, but the strategy & mindset was a cop out. I'm livid.