PDA

View Full Version : LOI section - Moved Thread

SkStu
07/03/2013, 4:32 PM
http://foot.ie/threads/177126-General-Club-News-thread

hello! just wondering if the linked thread above could be relocated into the main LOI forum instead of the Bohs section.

It was not intended to be a Bohs thread - it was for all clubs announcements - and i think the idea has some value. Not everyone visits the dedicated club forums - in fact they are very rarely used - and the main forum is generally the central point for all club news.

We have a transfer thread and stadium updates threads in which the individual posts are very specific to individual clubs. I would see a general news thread which covers announcements, press releases as being a valuable resource for the stattos and geeks if it is similarly centrally located. Mr. A has supported the idea too.

Just wanted to discuss the merits or otherwise and if we decided it would be worthwhile then a brand new thread could be created possibly with some parameters - it doesnt have to be the one i started.

Thanks..

dahamsta
07/03/2013, 6:37 PM
See the thread for my proposed rules.

SkStu
07/03/2013, 11:51 PM
Very fair. Thanks.

A face
08/03/2013, 12:08 AM
I think not everyone visits the dedicated club forums because its generally stuff to do with other clubs, so why would you .... But if there is something in your clubs dedicated forum then you will go in there. That is pretty much how it should work and how you'd expect it to work. Agreed some of them are very quite but i reckon those clubs don't have many active fans on-line or fans at all, so no matter where you post it, the topic wont get much attention unless there is a genuine interest to other LOI fans. I think that the thread might work for the first 10 or so pages, until its huge and there are about 10 topics on the go in there.

For example, that news items was about Bohs and a link up with IT Blanchardstown, similar to Cork Citys links with UCCs Mardyke Arena, Limerick and UL, Sligo have some sort of a link as well. A few clubs have scholarship schemes as well, great to hear it. Its a topic the whole league should have an interest in, even staff at those colleges, lazy hacks, whoever .... now stick all that discussion in with an unregistered player fiasco and it will get lost, or not have its own thread where the debate can develop the way it naturally does.

Can you go to this forum (http://foot.ie/forums/80-Junior-League) and look at the various threads that are going on ..... its madness, i dont know how they do it, but i do know its stopping most discussion from taking place, it causes communication problems with guys tackling each other because one of them missed a post 8 pages back because he was on hols and couldn't go back to where he had last left the debate.

And what will happen is instead of a thread or two getting closed or moderated, and everyone goes on their merry way, the whole thread will get canned and there'll be another three threads started arguing why that original one should have stayed.

As i said, the info is well worth knowing, and it warrants a thread of its own (re: LOI Clubs linking up with colleges) and the Bohs info should be posted, but is the real problem that fact that the news items doesn't have a unique page of its own (http://bohemianfc.com/?cat=5) to link to, you have to link to the main news page and in a few days in will be archived from that page? I dunno ....

If its relevant to LOI fans/clubs/staff/players/whatever then drive on, post a thread on it just make the case that your club is doing x, y and z and you think all other clubs should do it too. I just don't get the problem in posting like that

Dahamsta, just wondering, is there a feature where someone can click a button to request a thread be moved/copied as opposed to reporting a thread to do highlight it?

dahamsta
09/03/2013, 2:06 PM
I don't think you get the rules I put in that thread Face, discussion isn't allowed on it, and news items have to be linked to relevant threads in the Foot.ie club forum; not the official club website. Discussion should be binned, and it doesn't matter that news fades up the thread because news fades. To be honest, I'd much prefer the content management system be used for stuff like this, and I'd love to hear suggestions about how that could be implemented.

Off the top of my head, I think a dedicated News forum would work, where anyone can post news, but only the good news gets promoted to the Foot.ie homepage. No discussion allowed. It would need an editor though, unpaid during a trial period. If it was successful, and revenues went up, I'd be happy to pay a portion of the profits.

The Junior forum has always been a complete mess, but it actually kind of works in an odd way. Me, I'd like to see it tidier, is there anything to be said for seperate forums for each (popular) league? Will the users in there be able to grasp that? Some of them can be quite obtuse.