PDA

View Full Version : Televised League of Ireland Games

A face
06/03/2013, 6:46 PM
Just a thought but would it be possible to compile a list of all the Televised League of Ireland Games down throughout the years? I know its probably a huge undertaking but i'd say we'd have a fair go at the last 20 years or so. Is there anything currently out there with info on this at all?

El-Pietro
06/03/2013, 7:17 PM
sure the first televised league game was in 97 or 98 only

Martinho II
07/03/2013, 6:40 PM
You would probably be better getting on to the RTE sports dept!

Dodge
07/03/2013, 11:48 PM
I;ll have the last few years a face. From memory the first game was Shels v Derry on a Saturday afternoon in about 1997. Pats v Bohs in Richmond wasn't long after

A face
08/03/2013, 12:21 AM
I;ll have the last few years a face. From memory the first game was Shels v Derry on a Saturday afternoon in about 1997. Pats v Bohs in Richmond wasn't long after

Lads, i have seen games that were in black and white, Cork City FC v Waterford United (cup game i think) and even before that i've seen Bohs playing .... Are ye sure its 1997 for the first one? I just dont get why the game would have been recorded, with commentary as if it had been a live game but it never aired. Why would they pay out to have it done and then not show it? I'm by no means an authority on it but i just thought it would go back a lot further than that.

Dodge
08/03/2013, 9:30 AM
Was it a cup final? Cup final always shown.

A N Mouse
08/03/2013, 9:58 AM
Lads, i have seen games that were in black and white, Cork City FC v Waterford United (cup game i think) and even before that i've seen Bohs playing .... Are ye sure its 1997 for the first one? I just dont get why the game would have been recorded, with commentary as if it had been a live game but it never aired. Why would they pay out to have it done and then not show it? I'm by no means an authority on it but i just thought it would go back a lot further than that.

There were brief highlights on the sunday night sports show, from selected games.

Cup final was broadcast live. I've a vague, and likely incorrect, notion that by 97 a semi-final may have been shown too.

The Shels v Derry match is acknowledged as first league game to be shown live.

Mad Moose
08/03/2013, 11:57 AM
There were brief highlights on the sunday night sports show, from selected games.

Cup final was broadcast live. I've a vague, and likely incorrect, notion that by 97 a semi-final may have been shown too.

The Shels v Derry match is acknowledged as first league game to be shown live.

I only ever remember Cup Finals been shown and I reckon the first I recall was 1990 and St Francis v Bray if I'm right. I remember Johnny Glynn's winenr for Galway Utd the following season.

I remember Saturday highlights around lunch time from time to time though we didn't get to watch telly much but I recall seeing it a few times.

A face
08/03/2013, 1:06 PM
Jebus i wasn't aware of that, and to be fair its brutal that its actually the case, RTE have shown league games from other countries before its own. You just couldn't explain that to people.

Anyway, if its 1997 then its very doable i'd say.

Dodge
08/03/2013, 1:08 PM
The first cup final shown was 1967 and the crowd dropped sustantially. RTE didn't show live GAA (bar the finals) until 1990s either.