PDA

View Full Version : George O'Callaghan for Captain

Fair_play_boy
22/09/2004, 10:57 PM
Why? All of the following reasons, IMO.
1. Somebody is needed soon anyway because Dan Murray can't captain effectively from the stand, where he will end up before too long.
2. He has a big mouth already. He throws his weight around the team, telling players what they should be doing anyway. Even if some of this is abusive of the younger players, at least he is showing some passion for the game.
3. As captain, he is more under the control of Dolan who should be able to get him to behave as a positive force.
4. The move would appeal to George's ego. It would help restore his interest in the club.
5. It would be the sort of change that is needed to shake things up in the team.
6. He might even be good. :eek:
There are those of you who will probably fall about laughing at my suggestion. But this sort of idea worked before. I remember when another Cork biy was acting the bolcks, getting sent off, losing his temper, and behaving like an all-round latch, and his appointment as captain has done a lot for ManU.
Georgie is a good footballer, but needs to grow up fast. Taking on the captaincy might be just the catalyst he needs.

Gary
22/09/2004, 11:03 PM
an all-round latch,

lol. Haven't heard anyone call anybody a latch in years and years.

George as captain? No. Even before this latest shamozzle, I would have never made him skipper. I just dont think he is captain material.

My choice would be one of Colin, Benno, Mick Devine or Billy Woods.

thecorner
23/09/2004, 12:40 AM
I remember when another Cork biy was acting the bolcks, getting sent off, losing his temper, and behaving like an all-round latch, and his appointment as captain has done a lot for ManU.

ive seen a lot of comparisons during the week to other leagues and players

there cisse,carragher,a few more and now keane

can we please stop these

we are CORK CITY, nobody else

razor
23/09/2004, 7:39 AM
George doesn't need the captaincy.
He needs a good swift kick in the hole.

yiddo
23/09/2004, 7:55 AM
I dont think we have a lot of captain material in the squad at the moment. Georges comments last week are bound to have isolated him further from some of his team mates. Colin for all his ability and committment might not be vocal enough for the role. To me Benno looks the best bet. He's playing very well this season and is our most improved player since Dolans arrival.
Also afaik he's still talking to the manager ;)

tiktok
23/09/2004, 7:57 AM
George is a talented player, but he's not captain material.....

2. He has a big mouth already. He throws his weight around the team, telling players what they should be doing anyway. Even if some of this is abusive of the younger players, at least he is showing some passion for the game.
A captain should encourage, occasionally give a tongue lashing, but never abuse his team-mates. George whines and bitches on the pitch, he doesn't drive others on.

3. As captain, he is more under the control of Dolan who should be able to get him to behave as a positive force.
If anything he'd be less under Dolan's control as within the club's hierarchy he'd have no buffer between himself and the big man

4. The move would appeal to George's ego. It would help restore his interest in the club.
Make him captain to stroke his ego? fcuk that. If he's lost interest in the club, he shouldn't even be considered for captain.

5. It would be the sort of change that is needed to shake things up in the team.
If they want to shake things up they could try winning tonight instead.

6. He might even be good. :eek:
Not a hope, as razor said, he needs a kick up the hole and not the captain's armband.

If Murray loses it (and he won't) benno would be my choice

joeSoap
23/09/2004, 8:29 AM
Let him wear a long red cape and a mask: Captain Whingeywangkbag... :D

eastcork
23/09/2004, 8:51 AM
George doesn't need the captaincy.
He needs a good swift kick in the hole.
couldn't agree with ya more!

Ozymandias
23/09/2004, 9:03 AM
make danny murphy captain....oh we can't as george is ****ed of with all the non cork lads

your right george is the best man for the job :p

i think in the current climate at the club it would be better for Dan to continue...