PDA

View Full Version : Clubs move into Collective Profit

Pages : [1] 2

Ezeikial
01/03/2013, 12:32 PM
FAI claim that profit is the norm in LoI !

FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND

Friday, March 1, 2013

Airtricity League launches 2013 season

Clubs move into collective profit

The 2013 Airtricity League season was officially launched today when players, managers and officials from all 20 clubs attended a reception in the Aviva Stadium where it was revealed that last year Airtricity League clubs made a collective profit of €241,544.

A review of the audited accounts for the 19 clubs showed that 11 clubs made an operating profit and no club reported a loss of more than €40,000 after exceptional items were taken into consideration.

The move by the clubs into collective profit is the latest stage of a progressively improving trend which has seen losses reduced dramatically since the National League came under the direct control of the Football Association of Ireland in 2007. Losses were reduced from €6.9 million in 2007 to €2.7m in 2010 and almost reached breakeven in 2011 before the move into profit in 2012.

The situation in the Airtricity League is the complete opposite of the trend across Europe where, according to UEFA’s Benchmarking Report on the finances of clubs in the top divisions of each European country, aggregate losses rose from €0.6billion in 2007 to €1.7billion in 2011 with 63 per cent of top division clubs reporting a loss in 2011.

Commenting on the 2012 figures, the Director of the Airtricity League Fran Gavin said: “This is a significant milestone for our clubs and represents a major turnaround in club finances since the FAI took over the League in 2007. Our clubs should be congratulated for the achievement however, we cannot be complacent. Collectively, we must continue to ensure prudence in the interests of supporters and the Airtricity League as a whole, ensuring that clubs develop sustainably with a focus on facilities, coaching and playing squads to continue the upward trend.”

The Airtricity League Premier and First Divisions will commence on Friday, March 8 and a total of 330 league and play-off games will be played between then and November 1 in addition to matches in the FAI Ford Cup, EA SPORTS Cup, Setanta Sports Cup, UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League.

RTE and Setanta Sports will be continuing their live coverage of matches during the season and the popular RTE Two weekly highlights programme, MNS, will return to the screens on Monday, March 11.

Among the highlights of the new season will be the return of Premier Division football to Limerick after an absence of 19 seasons in addition to the introduction of Thomond Park as an Airtricity League venue. The 2013 season will also mark the return of Cobh Ramblers to the First Division after a four year absence.

Launching the 2013 season, the Chairman of the FAI’s National League Executive Committee, Eamonn Naughton said: “We look forward with eager anticipation to what is going to unfold between now and November and I wish all our clubs the very best for the coming season.”

Paul O’Shaughnessy, Head of Energy Sales, Airtricity, commented: “As Ireland’s fastest-growing energy provider, we’re proud to sponsor the Airtricity League and to be the official ‘power’ behind Irish football as well as to be the Official Energy Partner to the FAI and to its international teams. The Airtricity League continues to improve all the time and we’re very proud at Airtricity, through our sponsorship and our association with clubs, fans and communities all across the country, to play our part towards that improvement.”

Prize-money for the 2013 season will be the same as last year with the winners of the Premier Division receiving €100,000. The Premier Division clubs will be playing for a prize-fund of €241,500 with €74,000 being competed for in the First Division and €25,000 in the EA SPORTS Cup.

The 12 clubs participating in the 2013 Premier Division will be: Bohemians, Bray Wanderers, Cork City, Derry City, Drogheda United, Dundalk, Limerick, St Patrick’s Athletic, Shamrock Rovers, Shelbourne, Sligo Rovers and UCD.

The eight clubs participating in the 2013 First Division will be: Athlone Town, Cobh Ramblers, Finn Harps, Longford Town, Mervue United, Salthill Devon, Waterford United and Wexford Youths.

The EA SPORTS Cup will begin tomorrow with a game in Pool 2 while the Setanta Sports Cup commenced on February 11.

Dodge
01/03/2013, 12:38 PM
I knew it was Monaghan holding us back

A face
01/03/2013, 1:22 PM
So is this to be taken as the truth, i mean there just doesn't seem to be any party out there, journalist or otherwise to contest this or give it some sort of scrutiny. To be fair, if its true then fair play but i just always wonder is it constructed to suit their own agenda, an agenda which you might assume is similar to any LOI fan, we all want succuss afterall but i think some of the finer detail we may differ on to some degree.

citybone
01/03/2013, 1:32 PM
Setanta Cup has significantly more money than the EA Sports Cup, So who still thinks the League cup is more important?

Dodge
01/03/2013, 1:42 PM
Setanta Cup has significantly more money than the EA Sports Cup, So who still thinks the League cup is more important?

When has anybody ever thought that?

nigel-harps1954
01/03/2013, 1:52 PM
When has anybody ever thought that?

Derry.

Mr A
01/03/2013, 2:05 PM
no club reported a loss of more than €40,000 after exceptional items were taken into consideration.

I wonder what this is about?

Also, does anyone know what the affiliation fees are this year?

nigel-harps1954
01/03/2013, 2:12 PM

Also, does anyone know what the affiliation fees are this year?

http://juliekenner.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/dr-evil.jpg

One Billion...eh..Euro.

A face
01/03/2013, 2:27 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/0301/370287-profits-up-in-2012/

Mr A
01/03/2013, 2:30 PM
This is pretty encouraging news. Perhaps the league is finally starting to move beyond its tendency to gamble financially. But it won't take much to set us back and start the whole crazy arms race one more time and quite a few clubs remain on a pretty tenuous footing.

Charlie Darwin
01/03/2013, 3:06 PM
Capital spending I'd assume. Building work at Sligo and Finn Harps, Limerick too I'd assume.

legendz
01/03/2013, 6:03 PM
Encouraging news alright. If reports are to be beleived, it has been heading this way over recent years. Hope to see all 20 clubs make it through the league season this time. It'd be great to see the airtricity league muscle in more in terms of sporting headlines now on the park. The rabo direct is more rubble direct. The GAA league's hardly set the pulses racing either.

redobit
01/03/2013, 6:44 PM
last year Airtricity League clubs made a collective profit of €241,544.

We made 87K profit last season so 36% of the profit was from one club!

Not thats great money, or anything like it, but happy with it.

Charlie Darwin
01/03/2013, 6:58 PM
We made 87K profit last season so 36% of the profit was from one club!

Not thats great money, or anything like it, but happy with it.
Well it would be a smaller percentage if you took out the clubs making a loss, which we don't seem to have figures. I assume Limerick's losses were in at least 8 figures.

wonder88
01/03/2013, 8:34 PM
Unbelieveable news, I never expected to see the day that about 2/3 of LOI clubs are making a profit. Our small country is again the envy of all Europe. As someone who lost a decent sum of money on Irish bank shares I take great comfort that this statement from the FAI is based on audited accounts no less.
However it is great to have the LOI back, but I would not write the competition off; there is a big roar coming from the rugby match at the showgrounds in Galway tonight and I was at a hurling league match on sunday which had a crowd of10k there.

Mr A
01/03/2013, 10:36 PM
It's great news and I welcome it- but is it really the best way to promote the league? I appreciate that given the league's history any move towards stability is good of course.

Is anyone out going to think "I'll go to a game seeing as the clubs are generally making a profit." There has to be a better angle.

NeverFeltBetter
01/03/2013, 10:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxYGP3gaWvo&feature=youtu.be

A face
02/03/2013, 9:20 AM
Did the Shamrocks Europa League group stage prize money bring the figure up i wonder?

legendz
02/03/2013, 2:42 PM
It's great news and I welcome it- but is it really the best way to promote the league? I appreciate that given the league's history any move towards stability is good of course.

Is anyone out going to think "I'll go to a game seeing as the clubs are generally making a profit." There has to be a better angle.

The whole launch in the Aviva is the best way to promote the league and they've done that. It's a good news story to go with it considering recent financial troubles of clubs. Getting more people to see a game is down to respective clubs really. The FAI did a good initiative in fairness with the Cup final ticket prices.

A face
03/03/2013, 10:24 PM

Well i don't think one or two seasons will have an impact but if you have at least five years of the same and possibly one year where every club makes a profit, then that could be described as a league about to turn a corner.

Charlie Darwin
03/03/2013, 10:30 PM
Well i don't think one or two seasons will have an impact but if you have at least five years of the same and possibly one year where every club makes a profit, then that could be described as a league about to turn a corner.
The trend is certainly going in that direction. I'd also imagine most of the clubs losing money are in the First Division.

Acornvilla
03/03/2013, 10:36 PM
If the cost of renting Thomand out for a year is taken into account next year I have a funny feeling they wont be able to write such a glowing statement :D

Charlie Darwin
03/03/2013, 10:42 PM
I doubt they'll be paying much more than if they were renting Tallaght or Dalymount, for instance. The size of the ground is virtually irrelevant.

bullit
03/03/2013, 10:55 PM
How much doe's it cost to rent Tallaght and was any cash figure ever given for what Lims will pay Munster Rugby for the rental of Thomond Park for the season?

Mr A
03/03/2013, 10:59 PM
Harps made a profit of ~33k in 2012.

Charlie Darwin
03/03/2013, 11:19 PM
How much doe's it cost to rent Tallaght and was any cash figure ever given for what Lims will pay Munster Rugby for the rental of Thomond Park for the season?
It's six figures, I'm not sure what the exact number is. I don't know what Limerick are paying and whether that includes security arrangements and maintenance, but I'd imagine it's all in. Limerick's case has been aided by the fact Munster are being forced to drastically cut costs and were probably willing to bend over backwards to accommodate Limerick. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if, assuming Limerick stay up, that the ground-share doesn't last longer than just a season.

ger121
04/03/2013, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't be hugely surprised if, assuming Limerick stay up, that the ground-share doesn't last longer than just a season.

I wouldn't be surprised either if it lasts longer. There could be a good chance Markets Field wouldn't be ready by the start of the 2014 season.

Louth4sam
04/03/2013, 9:01 AM
The trend is certainly going in that direction. I'd also imagine most of the clubs losing money are in the First Division.

I'd be almost certain that we made a loss last season. Decent budget at start of season but supporters becoming discontent with Matthews and pathetic performances from rubbish players lead to bad crowds and lack of sponsorship. Not sure what were the terms for the takeover were but would imagine that any debts were not cleared until after the new year when takeover became official.

On the flip side, I'd be surprised if we don't turn a profit this year. Really good buzz around the place not felt since the season we were promoted, lots of sponsorship and a team playing attractive football (and not being beaten every game) should have the crowds back too.

redobit
04/03/2013, 9:59 AM
I'd be almost certain that we made a loss last season. Decent budget at start of season but supporters becoming discontent with Matthews and pathetic performances from rubbish players lead to bad crowds and lack of sponsorship. Not sure what were the terms for the takeover were but would imagine that any debts were not cleared until after the new year when takeover became official.

On the flip side, I'd be surprised if we don't turn a profit this year. Really good buzz around the place not felt since the season we were promoted, lots of sponsorship and a team playing attractive football (and not being beaten every game) should have the crowds back too.

And to think ye didnt even repond to Baraclough's interest in the managers job and gave it to McCaffery instead. Things could have been different for both of our clubs last season.

Bawnville Hoop
04/03/2013, 10:07 AM
And to think ye didnt even repond to Baraclough's interest in the managers job and gave it to McCaffery instead. Things could have been different for both of our clubs last season.

In fairness if McCaffery walked in to the Sligo job with everything on a plate for him he wouldn't have faired to bad either.

This season is where Baraclough will prove his worth.

Dillonman
04/03/2013, 10:16 AM

Is there any figures been mentioned about season ticket sales? I know for the Xmas rush they said they had near enough matched what was sold in 2012 ie around 250!

Louth4sam
04/03/2013, 10:51 AM

Possibly. Would have been a much more difficult job at Dundalk than Sligo last season though. Sligo were already a very good established side whereas Dundalk had no players signed. He certainly wouldn't have done a worse job though that's for sure.

adamd164
04/03/2013, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't be surprised either if it lasts longer. There could be a good chance Markets Field wouldn't be ready by the start of the 2014 season.
I think the biggest danger is a situation like Salthill, where Limerick just end up going back to Jackman Park next year and the FAI turn a blind eye to it.

They could claim developments are underway and it's a stop-gap, I think this has been used as an excuse for poor facilities by clubs before.

A face
04/03/2013, 11:31 AM
I think the biggest danger is a situation like Salthill, where Limerick just end up going back to Jackman Park next year and the FAI turn a blind eye to it.

They could claim developments are underway and it's a stop-gap, I think this has been used as an excuse for poor facilities by clubs before.

What do you mean, that clubs with Salthills facilities are accepted as ok? I kinda have to agree with you there. Drom is the graveyard of ambition, not just because its like an MSL, LSL ground but because its in the absolute end of nowhere. Its amazing that there is a team competing from there and not from say Carlow, Tralee, Mulligar, any reasonably sized town in Ireland.

adamd164
04/03/2013, 12:04 PM
What do you mean, that clubs with Salthills facilities are accepted as ok? I kinda have to agree with you there. Drom is the graveyard of ambition, not just because its like an MSL, LSL ground but because its in the absolute end of nowhere. Its amazing that there is a team competing from there and not from say Carlow, Tralee, Mulligar, any reasonably sized town in Ireland.
Yeah I meant in that sense, and also in the sense that Salthill were moved to Terryland and marketed as SDG last year, then just back to Drom this year with not a word said.

I hope I'm wrong but I can see Limerick being allowed to just slip quietly back to Jackman if Thomond isn't working out for them, and Market's Field seems to be a pipe dream at this stage.

Lim till i die
04/03/2013, 12:50 PM
There is no reason on earth why Limerick would slip quietly back to Jackman.

Don't get me wrong, I can see us in Thomond for the next 25 years, but there's no way we'll ever be in Jackman again.*

*until such a time as we are relegated, but then Jackman would be fine anyway.

Dodge
04/03/2013, 2:06 PM
In fairness if McCaffery walked in to the Sligo job with everything on a plate for him he wouldn't have faired to bad either.

He would've. He was absolutely clueless in dealing with (semi) professional adult players. Complete spoofer

redobit
04/03/2013, 2:12 PM

This season is where Baraclough will prove his worth.

Cant agree with that. He's prove his worth. Arriving two days before the season starts and coaching/ managing a team to league title with half the season the bench full of u19s is proof enough for me. Whatever happens this season. I dont get how people can say this, some of our fans too.

wonder88
04/03/2013, 2:31 PM
If Salthill can keep a team in the LOI, then lots of other towns in the country should be able to field clubs/teams as well. Will Limerick be paying 2k plus per game for Thomand? There is no reason that the likes of Pats and Shels need to have their own ground either and they could share with their neighbours in Dublin. Dalymount could be restored (and the Zurick bank paid/settled with) and Tallagh could be further developed. Also I think a club should base itself down in that nice stadium in Ringsend, Irishtown I think it is called.

Dodge
04/03/2013, 2:45 PM
If There is no reason that the likes of Pats and Shels need to have their own ground either and they could share with their neighbours in Dublin. Dalymount could be restored (and the Zurick bank paid/settled with) and Tallagh could be further developed.

Pats couldn't afford to pay rent 30-35 times a year. So we'll stick to our own stadium for the next little while

Charlie Darwin
04/03/2013, 5:36 PM
Also I think a club should base itself down in that nice stadium in Ringsend, Irishtown I think it is called.
The one with no seats or spectator facilities?

BonnieShels
04/03/2013, 5:50 PM
The one with no seats or spectator facilities?

Someone's been on wiki.

peadar1987
04/03/2013, 5:52 PM
How do Salthill actually pay the bills? It can't be on gates surely. Do they just bleed their playing members dry with subscriptions? Have they someone backing them?

Charlie Darwin
04/03/2013, 6:07 PM
Someone's been on wiki.
Give me some credit!

Mr A
04/03/2013, 6:11 PM
How do Salthill actually pay the bills? It can't be on gates surely. Do they just bleed their playing members dry with subscriptions? Have they someone backing them?

They have a bunch of astro pitches that they rent out and must do very well from. Maybe the UMBRO cup makes them money too, not sure.

wonder88
05/03/2013, 12:04 PM
The Astro cages must make a few bob for Salthill and I say most of Mervue's revenue come for their ones as well. I read here that Monaghan Utd were the same. However in Galway city a number of a new astro pitches have open in the last few years, which may reduce the income of the two LoI teams. Salthill this year will save on the rent of Terryland and maybe their attendance will remain the same if Harps and Atlone have a good season. Also as long as there are enough parents are willing to pay for their childs dream of playing for one of the leading english premier league clubs (however unrealistic) these clubs should always have enough membership fees to keep going.

Trainee
05/03/2013, 2:29 PM
Salthill this year will save on the rent of Terryland

Salthill got Terryland rent free last year (deal done betweeen Galway Fa and FAI)and this year they would have had to pay rent so thats why they are not playing in Terryland this year

MariborKev
06/03/2013, 12:08 AM
If everyone/anyone wants to throw up all the audited accounts on a link til we get a look at them?

Macy
06/03/2013, 11:00 AM

It's the best way to promote the FAI. That's all that matters. Have a launch, slap themselves on the back for "sorting out" the league. Forget about it for another year.

legendz
06/03/2013, 5:35 PM
Salthill got Terryland rent free last year (deal done betweeen Galway Fa and FAI)and this year they would have had to pay rent so thats why they are not playing in Terryland this year

Are any club playing in Terryland. I think it's a disgrace that GUST have not been brought back into the league of ireland. The FAI should show them the support they did when LoI soccer was under threat in Limerick and the eagerness they expressed to keep Cork and Derry in the league after they were demoted.