View Full Version : Roy Keane Charged With Assault

Pages : [1] 2

thecorner
21/09/2004, 3:57 PM
more to follow..................

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/09/2004, 3:59 PM
more to follow..................

Hope he's ok for the game in Paris. The only person that will be happy with this is Davros.

cullenswood
21/09/2004, 4:10 PM
Hope he's ok for the game in Paris. The only person that will be happy with this is Davros.

He'll definitely be okay for Paris, I reckon this is just another one of those charges that will go away after the lawyers get involved, and it is shown to be crap. Just another scumbag family looking for a quick buck from Keano.

thecorner
21/09/2004, 4:12 PM
report here (http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=227061)

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/09/2004, 4:12 PM
He'll definitely be okay for Paris, I reckon this is just another one of those charges that will go away after the lawyers get involved, and it is shown to be crap. Just another scumbag family looking for a quick buck from Keano.

Do you remember when one of those British rags set him up a few years ago? Some slapper threw a glass at him and the newspaper had printed the story before it had even happened. I agree that this case will collapse as it is sh!t.

bitored
21/09/2004, 5:27 PM
In court on Thursday
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0921/keane.html
this isn't going to interfere with selection for the French game - is it?

jofyisgod
21/09/2004, 7:21 PM
I agree that this case will collapse as it is sh!t.

Yeh, i mean Keane is an obvious target: He's a nutter, he has a record of violence and hot-headedness and he is very, very rich. Ideal. :(

Superhoops
21/09/2004, 10:27 PM
......this case will collapse as it is sh!t.

Free the Mayfield One! ;) :rolleyes:

Donal81
22/09/2004, 9:21 AM
In court on Thursday
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0921/keane.html
this isn't going to interfere with selection for the French game - is it?

A grown man assaults a teenager and you're concerned about a football match. Spot on mate, that was the first thought that went through my head as well!

NY Hoop
22/09/2004, 9:31 AM
Hopefully they'll lock the traitor up and throw away the key........

KOH

tiktok
22/09/2004, 9:38 AM
A grown man assaults a teenager and you're concerned about a football match.

Allegedly assaults a teenager ;)

He'll be available for the French game, I can't see a situation where he'd be required to stay in Manchester or surrender his passport.

wallis
22/09/2004, 9:39 AM
A grown man assaults a teenager and you're concerned about a football match. Spot on mate, that was the first thought that went through my head as well!

Shouldnt you wait until some details appear ??

How do you know it was not some loud mouthed teenager giving him a load of grief while he was out relaxing and is now making a big thing of it to make some money ?

Lets see what comes out in the news . This 'poor kid' could have a record as long as your arm :confused:

thecorner
22/09/2004, 9:42 AM
topic already in general football..any chance of a merge mods

anyway

what happened to innocent until proven guilty :rolleyes:

drinkfeckarse
22/09/2004, 9:46 AM
Nothing proven yet, it's not as if he's been convicted :rolleyes:
I still think it's some little pr1ck trying to make a bit of cash for himself. Just doesn't add up that Keane would start on him for no reason.

razor
22/09/2004, 10:55 AM
Hopefully they'll lock the traitor up and throw away the key........

KOH

Agree, Kids these days need to be taught some manners.

NY Hoop
22/09/2004, 11:21 AM
:)

He should know better than to get lagged though. In fairness the true story will come out and maybe the kid is looking for a pay off but............

Still a disgrace to his country though.

KOH

Donal81
22/09/2004, 11:39 AM
Shouldnt you wait until some details appear ??

How do you know it was not some loud mouthed teenager giving him a load of grief while he was out relaxing and is now making a big thing of it to make some money ?

Lets see what comes out in the news . This 'poor kid' could have a record as long as your arm :confused:

I was being sarcastic, if that wasn't clear by the second sentence of my post. Jesus, sometimes this place needs a humour transplant.

dahamsta
22/09/2004, 12:34 PM
I was being sarcastic, if that wasn't clear by the second sentence of my post. Jesus, sometimes this place needs a humour transplant.And sometimes this place gets legal threats because people don't think before they speak. And if we receive a writ, we'll be forced to hand the identifying of the relevant... uh... person over. Who the aforementioned embarassment to Cork society could easily sue into the ground.

Think, speak. Think, speak. Try it there yourself.

adam

Bowsy
22/09/2004, 12:56 PM
I just have to laugh at the rank hypocrisy. I mean, during the Lee Bowyer assault trial everyone thought he was a scumbag, even though he was subsequently acquitted. Whereas, because Roy is Irish and manu can do no wrong, we all talk about great principles like innocent until proven otherwise. The man is a scumbag, I don't care if he is acquitted or not, his true nature shines through in incidents like harbouring a misplaced grudge for two years and then trying to end someone's career, or hating your national manager because you once puked at his feet in a bar...

Conor, are you suggesting that because people assumed Bowyer was guilty immediately we should do the same with RMK in order to be even handed? Ever heard of 2 wrongs don't make a right? I don't think many people would like these two players on a personal level but RMK has been convicted of nothing and is therefore still innocent. I'm speaking as someone with a particular distaste for RMK the man and no great love for Man U.

Ozymandias
22/09/2004, 1:01 PM
I just have to laugh at the rank hypocrisy. I mean, during the Lee Bowyer assault trial everyone thought he was a scumbag, even though he was subsequently acquitted. Whereas, because Roy is Irish and manu can do no wrong, we all talk about great principles like innocent until proven otherwise. The man is a scumbag, I don't care if he is acquitted or not, his true nature shines through in incidents like harbouring a misplaced grudge for two years and then trying to end someone's career, or hating your national manager because you once puked at his feet in a bar...
the judge in the bowyer case actually called bowyer a liar in his summation and that was after hearing all the facts also the bowyer case actually happened and was a race attack keanes case hasn't even been heard yet...but you obviosly know more facts on the keane case than anyone else based on your informed opinion above...

thecorner
22/09/2004, 1:05 PM
shines through in incidents like harbouring a misplaced grudge for two years and then trying to end someone's career,

probably the best tackle ive ever seen

and to davros

see above

good things come to those who wait ;)

joeSoap
22/09/2004, 1:16 PM
[QUOTE=Conor74] I mean, during the Lee Bowyer assault trial everyone thought he was a scumbag, even though he was subsequently acquitted. Whereas, because Roy is Irish and manu can do no wrong, we all talk about great principles like innocent until proven otherwise. The man is a scumbag, I don't care if he is acquitted or not,QUOTE]

Sounds like you are a rather bitter little man. To call someone you probably have never met, or know, a scumbag is cowardly, childish and probably a sign of some personal issues you have deep down with yourself.
To compare this with Lee Bowyers incidents is totally absolutely ridiculous and pure scaremongering and speculation on your behalf.Lee Bowyer was involved in an altercation that nearly left an Asian lad dead-FACT. Witnesses stated this in court and his own team-mate Duberry testified as to this being the case in court.
Roy is charged with criminal damage and assault-which in this case constitutes breakig a chain on some kids neck. If guilty, he will get treated with by the court accordingly. But to compare Roy Keane with Lee Bowyer is plain ridiculous. It seems quite clear that your hatred of Roy and his previous actions (Saipan, McCarthy etc) cloud your tiny mind, and as a result you have become rather bigoted. Wipe your eyes, before you can't see at all.....

Donal81
22/09/2004, 1:30 PM
And sometimes this place gets legal threats because people don't think before they speak. And if we receive a writ, we'll be forced to hand the identifying of the relevant... uh... person over. Who the aforementioned embarassment to Cork society could easily sue into the ground.

Think, speak. Think, speak. Try it there yourself.

adam

He couldn't sue me for a thing, my friend, if you know anything about Irish media law. Like I said, it was a sarcastic joke in response to the post previous to it, something any judge would take into account so unclench for a second and lose the condescension, no need for it.

NY Hoop
22/09/2004, 1:35 PM
[QUOTE=joeSoap][QUOTE=Conor74] I mean, during the Lee Bowyer assault trial everyone thought he was a scumbag, even though he was subsequently acquitted. Whereas, because Roy is Irish and manu can do no wrong, we all talk about great principles like innocent until proven otherwise. The man is a scumbag, I don't care if he is acquitted or not,QUOTE]

Sounds like you are a rather bitter little man. To call someone you probably have never met, or know, a scumbag is cowardly, childish and probably a sign of some personal issues you have deep down with yourself.

Oh come on. In his own autobiography he admits to looking forward to that tackle, arrested twice on international duty. Never though I'd say this but the cork supporting kerryman is right!!

Of course he's a scumbag. It doesnt matter if I've ever met or known him. I've never met or known John Gilligan but I think any rational person would say he's a scumbag. Ask yourself this. Why does a grown man with all his wealth and fame consistently get into trouble?

And dont give me that he grew up in mayfield crap. You can be a scumbag no matter where you come from.

Also FAO dahamsta if you receive legal threats for a website that says "Talk Balls" there is something the matter with some of your readers!

KOH

Lionel Ritchie
22/09/2004, 2:35 PM
probably the best tackle ive ever seen

If you don't have your tongue planted firmly in your cheek then you deserve to have a boot planted firmly in your balls. :mad:

He admits to going out intending to injure a player, did so and then got Eamonn Dunphy to tell barefaced lies about poetic licence so he wouldn't lose a substantial portion of his riches to the player and his club in a civil writ.

As for his current indescretion. I'm starting to think he's probably the injured party or moreso at least. The initial reports I heard indicated this was some kid working part time on a golf course who gave out about keanes mutt s h i tting on the fairway. This appears to be off the mark and according to what little information is available I was able to do a little Mathematical formulae...
16 year old + Gold chain + Moped = Knack

drinkfeckarse
22/09/2004, 2:58 PM
I was able to do a little Mathematical formulae...

:D :D :D

TheJamaicanP.M.
22/09/2004, 3:02 PM
This thread is in danger of turning out like pineapple stu's infamous thread on knacker kids. Keep it clean lads. :)

Ozymandias
22/09/2004, 3:57 PM
I was able to do a little Mathematical formulae...

:p ;) :p

thats up there with e= mc2

NeilMcD
22/09/2004, 4:38 PM
This thread is a load of rubbish. None of us know what happened and very few of us know what roy keane is like or what the 16 year old is like. We are just using our prejudice to back up our cases. Whether that be anti the 16 year old or anti Keane. I think we shuld just let the courts decide what is right. Remember that Keane has been in trouble before but how many times has he been found guilty. That is the point. As we have seen in Donegal people may be charged but its whether they are found guilty that means they are a scumbag or not. We do live in a society where somebody is innocent until proven guilty and that carrie too in relation to the 16 year old too.

Condex
22/09/2004, 5:18 PM
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, then it’s probably a duck.

blobbyblob
22/09/2004, 5:44 PM
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, then it’s probably a duck.

Or Robbie Savage

Superhoops
23/09/2004, 12:39 AM
Does anyone really give a flying f**k whether Keane hit this young lad or not?

If he is found guilty, then what?
Will he go down? - No.
Will FAI say we dont want a convicted thug playing for us? - No.
Will he offer to stand down? - No.

thecorner
23/09/2004, 12:48 AM
If you don't have your tongue planted firmly in your cheek then you deserve to have a boot planted firmly in your balls. :mad:

and he says hiding behind a pc screen

ah but what do u know, hes from limerick

arent they all sneaky fcukers down there

tricky_colour
23/09/2004, 12:53 AM
You can be sure the little wipper-snapper got no more than he deserved.

Unfortunately the law looks after the criminal these days not
the victim of crime etc....

I remember when Cloughie (RIP) cuffed a few fans for invading the pitch
and he ended up in trouble, absolutely disgusting.

Of course if you or I were asssulted by a young thug the police
wouldn't even want to know.

Upside down world. :mad: :mad: :mad:

1MickCollins
23/09/2004, 1:01 AM
If it goes to trial I hope the judge and jury will be a little more opened minded than you lot - let's wait for the trial if it gets that far and get the facts of what actually happened.

dahamsta
23/09/2004, 2:12 AM
He couldn't sue me for a thing, my friend, if you know anything about Irish media law.Unfortunately, I know far more about the law as it applies to web discussion forums than I ever wanted to learn. The first thing I learned is that they have very little to do with traditional libel law. Foot.ie isn't "the media", it's a discussion site where regular people state their opinions, and as such we had to transfer responsibility for those statements onto their original posters via our terms and conditions to protect ourselves legally. The critical point here is that unlike "the media" we're not a publisher, we're simply an aggregator of statement and opinion. Here's your statement:

A grown man assaults a teenagerWhat's happened here is that you've stated this as fact, and if the aforementioned "grown man" - obviously referring to Keane - actually does go to court and is declared innocent, you will have libelled him. In which case, he may well wish to sue you for damages. If that happens, the first place his lawyers will come is here, looking for your identity. Which I won't give them without a writ, but I'd be very surprised if they wouldn't get one, at which point I'll hand the details over sharpish, no bother at all. Foot.ie is non-for-profit remember; we don't have any money.

Perhaps you're right, perhaps a judge would take the sarcastic nature of your post into account (personally I didn't pick up on any sarcasm, it looks to me like a statement of fact) but would he award you costs? I doubt it. In which case you'd be out of pocket, perhaps seriously so (Keane is a wealthy man remember, he can afford to drag cases out with discovery and legal research).

I post all this because, in a rather hypocritical fashion, you yourself have been condescending right back at me, which demonstrates that you haven't really thought about this very carefully (imho). If you had, you would have realised that all I was trying to do was protect my users by instilling a little common sense when it comes to posting statements here.

Believe me, I've been threatened with legal action for far less than your statement, and I'm pretty sure my knowledge of the law in this area has saved a few of my users a pretty penny, from far less angst-ridden people than Keane.

So do me a favour, drop the attitude, eh? It's always wise to remember that web forums are traditionally benevolent dictatorships. And even benevolent dictators get ticked off with being talked down to by the proletariat occasionally, and go on a deletion spree.

adam

dahamsta
23/09/2004, 2:14 AM
Also FAO dahamsta if you receive legal threats for a website that says "Talk Balls" there is something the matter with some of your readers!Its a pun KOH. Think about it.

adam

thecorner
23/09/2004, 2:29 AM

never knew that the young fella was a rovers fan :D

cullenswood
23/09/2004, 8:30 AM
Unfortunately, I know far more about the law as it applies to web discussion forums than I ever wanted to learn. The first thing I learned is that they have very little to do with traditional libel law. Foot.ie isn't "the media", it's a discussion site where regular people state their opinions, and as such we had to transfer responsibility for those statements onto their original posters via our terms and conditions to protect ourselves legally. The critical point here is that unlike "the media" we're not a publisher, we're simply an aggregator of statement and opinion. Here's your statement:

What's happened here is that you've stated this as fact, and if the aforementioned "grown man" - obviously referring to Keane - actually does go to court and is declared innocent, you will have libelled him. In which case, he may well wish to sue you for damages. If that happens, the first place his lawyers will come is here, looking for your identity. Which I won't give them without a writ, but I'd be very surprised if they wouldn't get one, at which point I'll hand the details over sharpish, no bother at all. Foot.ie is non-for-profit remember; we don't have any money.

Perhaps you're right, perhaps a judge would take the sarcastic nature of your post into account (personally I didn't pick up on any sarcasm, it looks to me like a statement of fact) but would he award you costs? I doubt it. In which case you'd be out of pocket, perhaps seriously so (Keane is a wealthy man remember, he can afford to drag cases out with discovery and legal research).

I post all this because, in a rather hypocritical fashion, you yourself have been condescending right back at me, which demonstrates that you haven't really thought about this very carefully (imho). If you had, you would have realised that all I was trying to do was protect my users by instilling a little common sense when it comes to posting statements here.

Believe me, I've been threatened with legal action for far less than your statement, and I'm pretty sure my knowledge of the law in this area has saved a few of my users a pretty penny, from far less angst-ridden people than Keane.

So do me a favour, drop the attitude, eh? It's always wise to remember that web forums are traditionally benevolent dictatorships. And even benevolent dictators get ticked off with being talked down to by the proletariat occasionally, and go on a deletion spree.

adam

That puts us in our place!

joeSoap
23/09/2004, 8:39 AM

Says a 'man'(??), presumably from Cork who also sits behind a computer screen who wouldn't have the bottle to pass a remark like that face to face to someone from Limerick.
Grow up and stop being so personal.

Donal81
23/09/2004, 8:55 AM
Unfortunately, I know far more about the law as it applies to web discussion forums than I ever wanted to learn. The first thing I learned is that they have very little to do with traditional libel law. Foot.ie isn't "the media", it's a discussion site where regular people state their opinions, and as such we had to transfer responsibility for those statements onto their original posters via our terms and conditions to protect ourselves legally. The critical point here is that unlike "the media" we're not a publisher, we're simply an aggregator of statement and opinion. Here's your statement:

What's happened here is that you've stated this as fact, and if the aforementioned "grown man" - obviously referring to Keane - actually does go to court and is declared innocent, you will have libelled him. In which case, he may well wish to sue you for damages. If that happens, the first place his lawyers will come is here, looking for your identity. Which I won't give them without a writ, but I'd be very surprised if they wouldn't get one, at which point I'll hand the details over sharpish, no bother at all. Foot.ie is non-for-profit remember; we don't have any money.

adam

I wasn't being condescending at any point, you were when you instructed me on how one should think before speaking and telling me to try it for myself. If you were trying to protect your users, there was no reason to simply make fun of me, was there? I know that websites are up in the air when it comes to libel - I lecture in it - and don't believe one sarcastic comment would warrant a legal action. If you're protecting the website, that's cool because it's a great website, but in future just say that and don't take the ****. Libel actions take place on a regular basis but they are rarely something anyone wants and judges often call for common sense in a matter. If the defendant has genuinely lowered the plaintiff in the eyes of decent thinking members of society, the plaintiff has a case. In the case of one sarcastic sentence, which I qualified in the one immediately following it, as well as in a following post, I think anyone willing to shell out tens of thousands of pounds to pursue it. I do appreciate where you're coming from and see your point but I would have had no problem with what you said if you hadn't have taken the approach that you did and then tell me to lose the attitude.

Lionel Ritchie
23/09/2004, 9:19 AM

Aw will you ever blow it out your ars e!
You praised the guy for making a tackle he freely admits was intended to cause injury.
Just to remind you why he was attempting such a vile thing btw ...he wasn't delivering any "payback" for anything similar done by Haaland.
He actually attempted something similar when Haaland was playing for Leeds United, thankfully mistimed it, missed AIH almost completely and ended up fcuking his own knee up.
Haaland, who to be fair probably didn't realise Keane'd just torn his ligaments, gave out stink to the panned out on the ground Keane for attempting a dangerous tackle and then feigning injury in an attempt to dodge a booking.

That's all that rubbed Keane up the wrong way -being remonstrated with by a not unreasonably aggrieved party -who didbn't realise Keane had actually hurt himself through no-ones fault but his own.

thecorner
23/09/2004, 10:07 AM
Aw will you ever blow it out your ars e!
You praised the guy for making a tackle he freely admits was intended to cause injury.
Just to remind you why he was attempting such a vile thing btw ...he wasn't delivering any "payback" for anything similar done by Haaland.
He actually attempted something similar when Haaland was playing for Leeds United, thankfully mistimed it, missed AIH almost completely and ended up fcuking his own knee up.
Haaland, who to be fair probably didn't realise Keane'd just torn his ligaments, gave out stink to the panned out on the ground Keane for attempting a dangerous tackle and then feigning injury in an attempt to dodge a booking.

That's all that rubbed Keane up the wrong way -being remonstrated with by a not unreasonably aggrieved party -who didbn't realise Keane had actually hurt himself through no-ones fault but his own.

its called revenge

i think ye call it punishment beatings

thecorner
23/09/2004, 10:36 AM
roy keane has pleaded not guilty to the charges

TerryPhelan
23/09/2004, 10:37 AM
its called revenge

Enough, people, enough. Please. Holy God, who would have thought a Roy Keane thread would bring out such hostility?

Away from the petty shenanigans and back to the original topic of discussion...

Keano will be available to play against the Frogs, as the case is adjourned to a pre-trial review on October 21st and he has been released on unconditional bail, so I don't see why he won't be in the clear to play for us. I cannot see Kerr as being so anally sanctimonious as to drop a key midfielder for the biggest game of the group until his name is cleared for allegedly breaking some money-grabbing skank's wah chain. So a sigh of relief there.

Terry Phelan
23/09/2004, 10:40 AM
dear TerryPhelan,could you not think of your own name,instead copying mine??

Lionel Ritchie
23/09/2004, 10:42 AM
its called revenge

revenge for what exactly? being given out to after inflicting an injury on yourself?
Oh what's the point? Away back to your playstation with ya.

TerryPhelan
23/09/2004, 10:58 AM
dear TerryPhelan,could you not think of your own name,instead copying mine??

Dear Terry Phelan,

I did not think up my own name - it was none other than the prophetic wisdom of my parents that is responsible for my being named after 'The Greatest' - one Terence Phelan. I have been a Terry for as long as I can remember.

I hope you aren't offended by this, but to be honest, it has always been an abiding football philosophy of mine that there were never enough Terry Phelans (even though it seemed like there were about 7 of him on the park at some stages), so I stand by that. The more the Terry-er.

Yours in sympathetic Phelan,
TerryPhelan ;)

NY Hoop
23/09/2004, 11:01 AM
never knew that the young fella was a rovers fan :D

Eh get it right roy. A pats fan! Try taking off your roy glasses for a second. Anyone who condones that tackle needs their head examined.

And dear director yeah I know it's a pun and, as donal says, I would be very surprised if one comment on a football website would warrant legal action.

KOH

wallis
23/09/2004, 11:19 AM
Could we all put our energy into something more positive ?

How about a whip round for the kid. He has had a valuable £20 chain damaged in the assault. It could have been a family heirloom !