PDA

View Full Version : Didnt we play well against the welsh

Pages : [1] 2

norn_iron_healy
21/09/2004, 12:32 AM
The boys in green are getting better!! we put in such a performance against the welsh! bring on the english!!

1MickCollins
21/09/2004, 1:16 AM
One swallow not to mention a point against Wales...

sylvo
21/09/2004, 8:10 AM
The boys in green are getting better!! we put in such a performance against the welsh! bring on the english!!

Yer pub team got a good result all right against a another team no fceker classes as a nation. :D

How's old Marty and the Bhoy's over on ourweewebsite getting on. Are they still over the moon with their big draw. :p

norn_iron_healy
21/09/2004, 12:17 PM
Yes we all are still over the moon with a point against wales. Everyone had it down as wales strolling it!!

We got a point away, in one of the best stadiums in the world with 60 odd thousand welsh fans.
And we should of had three

-Wales is about three times the size of NI

-No matter what you say they are a good side Bellamy, Giggs, Speed, Earnshaw, Hartson, Savage. I would say they are better than u lot!

-We are not a pub side!! At least are best players have a club that will play them.

Bowsy
21/09/2004, 12:29 PM
-No matter what you say they are a good side Bellamy, Giggs, Speed, Earnshaw, Hartson, Savage. I would say they are better than u lot!

-We are not a pub side!! At least are best players have a club that will play them.

Without getting drawn into a debate...

-Wales have some talented players but for every Bellamy they have a Barnard or the like.

-maybe our players should all ply their trade in the lower divisions so they get a game. :rolleyes: Hughes is first choice for Palace is he?

Genuinely, well played in Cardiff, good luck in the rest of the campaign but don't get ahead of yourself.

norn_iron_healy
21/09/2004, 12:41 PM
Wer not even a wee bit getting ahead of ourselves! I was just saying we are not a pub side, all of are players play regular first team football and there is more than hughes for palace that play top flight

Taylor ,Johnson-Birmingham, Hughes-Ncastle McVeigh, Mulryne-Norwich, Quinn Willem II, and when howard is havin a funny one at man u Carroll

stickyjoe
21/09/2004, 12:45 PM
it was a good point especially with 9 men, but it was well needed after the poles gave yas a proper stuffing in windsor.
anyhow, good luck for rest of the campaign

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/09/2004, 12:52 PM
Wer not even a wee bit getting ahead of ourselves! I was just saying we are not a pub side, all of are players play regular first team football and there is more than hughes for palace that play top flight

Taylor ,Johnson-Birmingham, Hughes-Ncastle McVeigh, Mulryne-Norwich, Quinn Willem II, and when howard is havin a funny one at man u Carroll

I think you are taking the p!ss! As we saw at the weekend, Johnson is a thug. Hughes is a good Premiership player and ye have two good goalkeepers. David Healy would make the real Ireland squad. The rest is simply a joke. As for Wales, they are not in the same class as us. They have their best generation of players in decades, yet they merely qualified for the play-offs. When they qualify for a major competition we might take some notice. It's hard to take a team seriously when they have the likes of Paige and Delaney playing at the back. Fair play to ye in the North though. Ye beat two coutries (St. Kitts and Nevis) during the summer and ye are on a roll ever since. With limited resources ye have done well. 47% of yer population still supports the Irish national team so I would say ye actually have a population about six times smaller than Wales.

Bowsy
21/09/2004, 1:00 PM

Every one of the players mentioned warms the bench for their club apart from the Brum lads and Quinn (the Dutch league, not top 3 - please!). Kind of defeats your own arguement. I'd have your Keepers though.

norn_iron_healy
21/09/2004, 1:06 PM
Johnson had a bad day at the weekend, he is a quality prem player, even Sven thought he was the answer to englands left side until he found out he played for Norn Iron! And no im not taking the **** about the rest McVeigh is a great striker, not see his goal against man u? and he got like 20 odd goals last season.

Well how far did u get in euro 2004 qual?
Further than Wales?

Bowsy
21/09/2004, 1:16 PM
McVeigh is a great striker, not see his goal against man u? and he got like 20 odd goals last season.

McVeigh is so great he's kept out of the Norwich team by the Doc. :rolleyes: He's decent not great. Darren Huckerby was Norwich's top scorer last season with 14 league goals BTW.

norn_iron_healy
21/09/2004, 1:19 PM
Every one of the players mentioned warms the bench for their club apart from the Brum lads and Quinn (the Dutch league, not top 3 - please!). Kind of defeats your own arguement. I'd have your Keepers though.

Yea captain hughsie warms the bench for newcastle all the time cant remember last time i seen him play for newcastle.

And McVeigh against the gunners and man u cant remember that either

Plastic Paddy
21/09/2004, 1:19 PM
Further than Wales?

Hey looky, Davros, a real live one for you to play with. Go easy on him now. :D

:D PP

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/09/2004, 1:20 PM
Johnson had a bad day at the weekend, he is a quality prem player, even Sven thought he was the answer to englands left side until he found out he played for Norn Iron! And no im not taking the **** about the rest McVeigh is a great striker, not see his goal against man u? and he got like 20 odd goals last season.

Further than Wales?

Sven thought that Chris Powell was the answer to England's left-back problem at one stage. Wales deservedly got to the play-offs. They still lost to a Russia team at home that we drew with. We will be at the World Cup while ye and the Welsh are watchin the Bill. :D As Eamon Grumphy would say, McVeigh is a good player, he is not a great player. Paul Heffernan got 20 odd goals last season and hasn't had a sniff of the Irish squad yet. If he had the misfortune of being born in the North he would be considered a saviour.

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/09/2004, 1:21 PM
Hey looky, Davros, a real live one for you to play with. Go easy on him now. :D

Davros will have this lad for dinner. Me thinks this joker just came on to wind people up. The stupidity of his arguments mean that he will make little impact. :D

Plastic Paddy
21/09/2004, 1:35 PM
Davros will have this lad for dinner.

That's what concerns me. ;)

Me thinks this joker just came on to wind people up. The stupidity of his arguments mean that he will make little impact.

In fairness, I quite like his posts. He's quite sparky in a bite-yer-ankles kind of way. We could keep him as the board puppy.

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/09/2004, 1:37 PM
That's what concerns me. ;)

In fairness, I quite like his posts. He's quite sparky in a bite-yer-ankles kind of way. We could keep him as the board puppy.

What do you mean PP? Could he be like the new Patrick J.?

norn_iron_healy
21/09/2004, 1:39 PM
No I havent just came on to wind people up!

I just wanted to see want the thought on us was!

Didnt think it would be as bad but sure,

Wouldnt be booking tickets for Germany so quickly drawing with the Swiss even wee can do that

Plastic Paddy
21/09/2004, 1:40 PM
No I havent just came on to wind people up!

I just wanted to see want the thought on us was!

Didnt think it would be as bad but sure,

Wouldnt be booking tickets for Germany so quickly drawing with the Swiss even wee can do that

:D Keep it up, boy. This is fun.

Peadar
21/09/2004, 1:43 PM
Davros will have this lad for dinner.

We could keep him as the board puppy.

That would mean that Davros would have to share his dinner with him.
Feeding him scraps under the table :D

sylvo
21/09/2004, 1:47 PM
[QUOTE=norn_iron_healy]

;)

eirebhoy
21/09/2004, 1:47 PM
I would say they are better than u lot!
The only players that would get into our first team are Savage and Hartson.

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/09/2004, 1:48 PM
[QUOTE=norn_iron_healy]

;)

A man of few words.

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/09/2004, 1:49 PM

I don't think Savage would get in our first team. Bellamy would push for a place.

Peadar
21/09/2004, 1:50 PM

Hartson is about as much use as Macken.

norn_iron_healy
21/09/2004, 1:53 PM
U lot are really worse than the English. Everyone always said it but i didnt believe it till now

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/09/2004, 1:57 PM
U lot are really worse than the English. Everyone always said it but i didnt believe it till now

Don't know to be honest. If we came from a footballing superpower like the North, we could possibly make such observations.

BTW, Norn Iron are worse than over 100 teams in the world. The FIFA world rankings say so. :p

Pat O' Banton
21/09/2004, 2:02 PM

What, narnia fans said that the team they seem to dislike most are worse then a nation that they have a special imperial affinity with?! Well thanks for sorting that one out for us :rolleyes:

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/09/2004, 2:07 PM
What, narnia fans said that the team they seem to dislike most are worse then a nation that they have a special imperial affinity with?! Well thanks for sorting that one out for us :rolleyes:

Pat O'Banton, now there's a blast from the past! My fellow countryman.

Amazing how they all sing God Save the Queen, yet see fit to slag off the poor English. The English won't believe their luck when they play the North in the up-coming qualifiers. The same anthem will be played twice. The last time that happened was when England played Liechtenstein in the Euro qualifiers.

Pat O' Banton
21/09/2004, 2:11 PM
Pat O'Banton, now there's a blast from the past! My fellow countryman.

Amazing how they all sing God Save the Queen, yet see fit to slag off the poor English. The English won't believe their luck when they play the North in the up-coming qualifiers. The same anthem will be played twice. The last time that happened was when England played Liechtenstein in the Euro qualifiers.

Stick around and we may get our own Jamaican forum!

Won't some of the Ingerland fan's right arms get a bit sore from being outstretched for two anthems? :eek:

norn_iron_healy
21/09/2004, 2:11 PM
I wasnt talking about u being really worse than the english in football terms, thats to obvious to mention.

I meant in supporters attitude English fans and ROI fans are very alike

Pat O' Banton
21/09/2004, 2:13 PM
I wasnt talking about u being really worse than the english in football terms, thats to obvious to mention.

Believe you may find that their is fans around one hundred nations who share the attitude that their team is better than narnia.

Bowsy
21/09/2004, 2:18 PM

Is that we think Northern Ireland are a very poor team? Well yes, I think you'll find we have that in common with pretty much every country in Europe. It's because you are. Have you forgotten the Poland game altogether?

England always have a better team on paper than most nations. Counts for squat as they never do anything with it.

norn_iron_healy
21/09/2004, 2:20 PM
Everyone slags off the english!! But u lot are probably the worst!

They get slagged off for thinking and always going on about how they will win this and that. And how they are such a good side.

U's are just as bad only u dont have half the team Eng do

eirebhoy
21/09/2004, 2:22 PM
I don't think Savage would get in our first team. Bellamy would push for a place.
If Savage was Irish he would definitely be partnering Keane IMO. Bellamy has the same amount of premiership goals for Newcastle in 78 appearances than Robbie has at international level and I don't think the two would be a great parntership.

Peader - Hartson scored 9 in 16 premiership games in 99/2000 (got injured at Christmas and missed the rest of the season) and 6 in 12 premiership games for Coventry in 00/01 (spent half the season with Wimbledon in div1 after they were relegated). He scored 24 in all comps in 97/98 with West Ham to make him the second highest scorer of all premiership players. He is one of the best header's in Britain and with Duffer crossing balls in he would be scoring more than 1 in 2.

{stats provided by soccerbase. :) }

norn_iron_healy
21/09/2004, 2:24 PM
We know we are a poor team! ther is no question! we hav some good players!

But we are only a nation of 1.5m and football isnt even r no1 sport anymore.

But u lot think ur really good when ur not thats what im saying the english think they are world class but they r just good

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/09/2004, 2:25 PM

They get slagged off for thinking and always going on about how they will win this and that. And how they are such a good side.

I'll think you will find that it was you who came on this site to tell us how great Norn Iron were to draw with the mighty Wales. The one thing I can say genuinely is that none of the Northern players were involved in the roasting sessions which entered the public domain through the media earlier this year. It's years since any of yer players have scored. :D

eirebhoy
21/09/2004, 2:25 PM
We don't have such high profile and highly rated names as England in most positions but we are certainly more than half the team (a team is made up of more than just good players). England are a terrible team considering the players at their disposal.

Peadar
21/09/2004, 2:34 PM
Peader - Hartson scored 9 in 16 premiership games in 99/2000 (got injured at Christmas and missed the rest of the season) and 6 in 12 premiership games for Coventry in 00/01 (spent half the season with Wimbledon in div1 after they were relegated). He scored 24 in all comps in 97/98 with West Ham to make him the second highest scorer of all premiership players.

I'm sure if you dig far back enough you'll probably find that he scored 38 goals in one game in the U8's league or something like that.
It's about as relevant as the statistics you've provided. Hartson was average at best and is now past his best. Players don't play in the SPL because they want to, they play there because bigger clubs don't want them.

Bowsy
21/09/2004, 2:36 PM

Football fan's always have higher hopes for their team than anyone else. We are a decent side, with decent prospects and we hope for more but I think you'll find most Ireland fans are fairly realistic. This is not the same as blind English expectancy (not optimism) in the face of all the evidence to the contrary every time they qualify for a tournament.
I think you are looking for something that isn't there - we aren't nearly as bad as English fans in terms of expectancy. England have loads of great indviduals but an average team.

norn_iron_healy
21/09/2004, 2:39 PM
I'll think you will find that it was you who came on this site to tell us how great Norn Iron were to draw with the mighty Wales.

Yea I did because it was such a good result for us! because we are a poor football nation and we know it as i said we are a small country with no football funding, no proper organisation from the top and football is slowly sliding down as are no1 sport

1MickCollins
21/09/2004, 2:49 PM
Come on now lads, 3 cheers for Norn Ireland - they have given us plenty of great moment over the years, most recently they gave us a world record number of moments without scoring an international goal. And then that victory over St Kitts & Nevis where they finally turned the corner and rose like a Phoenix to get a point at the great fortress of Cardiff Arms Park! There is nothing stopping these boys from marching to Germany as bravely as they marching at the Somme.

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/09/2004, 2:52 PM
Come on now lads, 3 cheers for Norn Ireland - they have given us plenty of great moment over the years, most recently they gave us a world record number of moments without scoring an international goal. And then that victory over St Kitts & Nevis where they finally turned the corner and rose like a Phoenix to get a point at the great fortress of Cardiff Arms Park! There is nothing stopping these boys from marching to Germany as bravely as they marching at the Somme.

You're very optimistic Michael. A bit like the Somme, I think the Northies could be lambs to the slaughter if they end up in Germany. :D

eirebhoy
21/09/2004, 3:11 PM
Hartson was average at best and is now past his best. Players don't play in the SPL because they want to, they play there because bigger clubs don't want them.
I really doubt a player who recently turned 29 is past his best otherwise players like Beckham wouldn't be going to Madrid for £25m. :)

Teams seem to be paying good money for a player who "was average at best". Arsenal paid £2.5m, West Ham paid £5m (record fee received by Arsenal at the time) , Wimbledon paid £7.5m (record fee paid and received at time), Celtic £6m.

Also, I think you'll find that Sutton, Hartson and Camara all had bids for them by premiership clubs before they moved to Scotland. Juninho had clubs waiting in case the deal fell through. Marcio Amoroso had interest from about 5 premiership clubs but held on for Celtic, MON didn't offer him a contract. Boumsong rejected Liverpool. There are obviously more which I don't know about.

No matter how much you hate Celtic and how lowly you rate the SPL, stop being so blinkered as to take bias against their players when I have provided stats to prove he has been a success in the premiership.

sylvo
21/09/2004, 7:40 PM

Half to disagree with yer there on the attitude. In all my year's of following Ireland I can't say I've smashed up any city's around europe or witnessed any fellow Ireland fan's smashing city's up.
Plus I like to have a good drink with the local's when i'm on tour not a good punch up.

sylvo
21/09/2004, 7:44 PM

I'd even disagree with yer on the football bit as well. Come to think of it we're not Brazil either, we just draw with them. :D

Junior
21/09/2004, 8:21 PM

I would say that all those quoted would be in with a shout of getting in our first 11.

Giggs - no question.

Bellamy/Earnshaw vs Morrison/Connolly/Doherty - I would take either of the Welsh pair ahead of those 3 options, though how they could team up with Robbie is another matter.

Speed vs Holland/Kav/Kilbane. A man of that experience, and no shortage of skill would be in with a decent shout of a first 11 spot, although nearing the end of his career.

eirebhoy
21/09/2004, 8:31 PM
I would say that all those quoted would be in with a shout of getting in our first 11.

Giggs - no question.

Bellamy/Earnshaw vs Morrison/Connolly/Doherty - I would take either of the Welsh pair ahead of those 3 options, though how they could team up with Robbie is another matter.

Speed vs Holland/Kav/Kilbane. A man of that experience, and no shortage of skill would be in with a decent shout of a first 11 spot, although nearing the end of his career.
Hartson is Wales' first choice striker and he would form a superb partnership with Robbie. I left Giggs out because we have Duff but I suppose you could fit the 2 in somehow. If we had the Keane of old maybe Speed would be a good choice but since Keane has transformed into a holding midfielder I think Savage would be a better option. So I stick by Hartson and Savage and if you could fit Giggs in stick him in too.

Off topic - Willo Flood scored 1 and Macken scored 2 (taken off at h/t) for Man City tonight. Still playing. Morrison and McGeady scored too. McGeady set up one or two (mind you we were playing Falkirk ;) ).

lopez
21/09/2004, 10:15 PM
C'mon, give the lad a chance. He's talking football at least. He hasn't insinuated that Irish is dead, Mary McAleese is British nor accused anyone of having a library with every chucky publication in print with a drunken, incoherent post. His other post on all these onion-in-their-hankies-Paddies supporting English teams may well hit a sore spot with some people. Tough! He's got a point as far as I'm concerned. :mad:

Peadar
22/09/2004, 8:39 AM
No matter how much you hate Celtic and how lowly you rate the SPL, stop being so blinkered as to take bias against their players when I have provided stats to prove he has been a success in the premiership.

All history mate.
He's not any better than Macken!

Giggs - no question.

Yeah right, with Duffer, Reid, Kilbane and Co. you think that ponce Giggs is still up to the challenge?
What a joke!
Stopped reading after that, you clearly don't talk sense.