PDA

View Full Version : ccfc statement

jmc105
20/09/2004, 5:06 PM
for anyone who hasn't seen it, there's a statement up on www.corkcityfc.ie (http://www.corkcityfc.ie) which makes for interesting reading. i think all the ****e of the last while might actually have a positive effect - the players now have a major point to prove.

as for georgie, i love him as a player but he overstepped the mark with his comments. i just hope it can be resolved, altho it sounds like he's only killing time with city and has his heart set on moving. i can understand why - if he makes it with a foreign club he can achieve much more than he could with city. it's not as if an eircom league player can retire when they stop playing.

one last point, which might be complete ******. i wonder did pat buy fenn and s o'flynn with a view to losing georgie and jof? it's virtually impossible to accomodate those four plus kearney and doyle without changing the 4-4-2 system, but (apart from s o'flynn who hasn't had a chance) surely you can't leave any of them out (aside from loss of form). fenn and doyle up front with gamble and colin in the middle, woods and kearney wide - maybe he thought that's what we'd have by now... as i said, probably complete ******.

last last thing: i think lopes showed good potential for his debut. i remember seeing doyler in a friendly in cobh and he was shocking - you can't be too critical of a player who's not settled into the team yet...

kevincronin2000
20/09/2004, 5:12 PM
So what is the story with Georgie. Seems a bit of a pr stunt if you ask me.

eoinh
20/09/2004, 5:20 PM
i just hope it can be resolved, altho it sounds like he's only killing time with city and has his heart set on moving. i can understand why - if he makes it with a foreign club he can achieve much more than he could with city. it's not as if an eircom league player can retire when they stop playing.

Foreign clubs. He can achieve more with them? How? If he joined a slovenian club for instance - how could he achieve more with them.

As for money - for the vast vast majority of professional players in europe retirement isnt a viable option either after finishing playing. Its only open to a tiny minority.

jmc105
20/09/2004, 5:21 PM
well, he couldn't have said more to create a rift between himself and the manager, the players (except jof of course), and probably a good few fans anyway. i'm almost glad i'm heading away for a few months because i can well imagine what the anti-george brigade and their relentless stream of comments will be like...

i always cringe when i read things like this but: a friend of mine from work, who says he knows georgie well from his gaa days, told me that he was all set for a move to an english club (can't remember the name now because i didn't really believe it, georgie had just signed his new contract). i can understand why he wants to go, from a footballing point of view, and to be honest he does get an unfair amount of stick from "fans", which he mentioned in his interview.

wouldn't be surprised if he goes in january but hope he stays. our squad is not very balanced tho, which is a problem...

patsh
20/09/2004, 6:30 PM
That statement contains the information which may be the root cause of some of the problems within the club.

"A conservative wage policy.... weekly bill 30% to 40% lower than other leading clubs...considerably less than €24,000"

1. City have a few players who can very obviously earn a lot more elsewhere.

2. We will NEVER attract the 3 or 4 TOP players we need to come here if the money is low.

3. A weekly wage bill considerably less than €24,000 spread out amongst out squad is small money no matter who you are.
No matter what you think of any player, a lot of our squad can earn more elsewhere.

So the club have adopted a financially sound policy for the club, which will ensure continued comfortable survival.
This policy however, will probably mean that we will be waiting for a lot longer than next year for success to come on the playing field.

There is an old saying that you must speculate to accumulate, and the current pay policy, while sound and hard to criticise looking at the mess some clubs are in, means that we cannot afford to field a team that will bring trophies until the "business brigade" money will cover the cost of the players we need.

I think Lennox should be completely honest with us now, and say that his priority for the club is to have a sound financial basis, and winning trophies will have to take a back seat until this is achieved. No more of this domination by next year lark, just be honest and tell us that we will have to wait for a few years more. Talking up our chances, saying we will finish second this year, and want to win the league next year, is dishonest and counter-productive.

I, and I suspect, most other City fans will wait for a few years, if we knew that the structures and foundations are being put in place for the future to ensure we will win the league. While this is happening, winning the league at the same time is not a realistic propostion and L & D shouldn't be trying to convince us it is.

Also Dan Murray should not treat people like fools. We KNOW there is friction and discontent within the squad, trying to claim it's all one big happy family is
patronising in the extreme. We don't need a happy family, just a group of players committed to giving their all on the pitch, and working together as best they can.

jofyisgod
20/09/2004, 8:01 PM
I, and I suspect, most other City fans will wait for a few years, if we knew that the structures and foundations are being put in place for the future to ensure we will win the league. While this is happening, winning the league at the same time is not a realistic propostion and L & D shouldn't be trying to convince us it is.

Good post patsh-summed my thoughts up in one. This is a very true statement.
It probably won't be a iew shared by the more hype-filled and glory-viewing fans, but i would ratjher this club to grow progressively, not suddenly. If the finances are in order at City we will win the league, when things start to dive for the big spenders like $h€l$-i really cannot believe that they are going to make this Champs League cash last, not with their wages.Our time will come, and i am willing to wait...

A face
20/09/2004, 9:11 PM
I think Lennox should be completely honest with us now, and say that his priority for the club is to have a sound financial basis, and winning trophies will have to take a back seat until this is achieved. No more of this domination by next year lark, just be honest and tell us that we will have to wait for a few years more. Talking up our chances, saying we will finish second this year, and want to win the league next year, is dishonest and counter-productive.

He can hardly talk down our chances and you'd have to expect the club have some ambition on the pitch no matter what position we are in.

Well Shels and Bohs have about 4-5 years ahead of us as regards putting structures in place. Could it be that we are actually ahead of time already.

Also Dan Murray should not treat people like fools. We KNOW there is friction and discontent within the squad, trying to claim it's all one big happy family is patronising in the extreme. We don't need a happy family, just a group of players committed to giving their all on the pitch, and working together as best they can.

Tell him so .... send a mail to the club and they'll pass it on to him.

Dr.Nightdub
20/09/2004, 10:16 PM
Just on that "conservative wage bill", do any of you remember Emmet Malone had a piece in the Irish Times a while back talking about some player signing for a new club being thrilled to be on €1900 a week plus a car, only to find out there were already two players at the club on the same deal. It didn't name the player or the club but the most obvious candidate at the time was Fenn.

Maybe your have-nots have got the hump over the star treatment dished out to the haves signed by your glorious leader?

Fair_play_boy
20/09/2004, 10:51 PM
It didn't name the player or the club but the most obvious candidate at the time was Fenn.
That could have been any new signing in the EL at the time.

Maybe your have-nots have got the hump over the star treatment dished out to the haves signed by your glorious leader?
Alas, I fear you may be right. But CCFC is hardly unique in that regard!!! By the way, your point suggests that the wage bill is conservative, if there is such a spread of wages among the players.

Dr.Nightdub
20/09/2004, 11:10 PM
FPB, the biggest-name signing at the time was Fenn. The free car thing reminded me of a period in the past, when Pat Dolan, Colin Hawkins and one other Pats player (I forget who) all had free Nissans provided to them. The coincidence was too strong...

patsh
21/09/2004, 7:28 AM
While its possible NightDub that Fenn did get an excellent deal, its also possible that SPA fans want to believe this kind of stuff because he turned you lot down.

Partizan
21/09/2004, 8:55 AM
Patsh,

Fat left St Pats in such a mess that they are still recovering from it. If you open your eyes, Fatrick is not welcome within a 5 mile radius of Richmond and who can blame the Pats fans for the trouble and mess he caused. I say get rid of Dolan and get in a good and competent manager who knows first of all what he's doing.

Keep this up lads and we'll definitley finish ahead of ye in the League.

GavinZac
21/09/2004, 9:11 AM
do you nkow how retarded you sound? you're negating any value of your comments with your childishness.

razor
21/09/2004, 9:14 AM
Tha Press Release is a load of drivel.
What do they take us for ?

Another shocking attempt by the club to paper over the cracks.
Trying to let us know all is rosey in the garden. B@lls to that.

Out of all the texts that came into the BRB over the weekend, very few mentioned cash flow, yet half the press release is taken up by it.

Does Dan Murray take us for fools, we know there are problems, players talk and Cork is a small place, word gets around.

"The players have been annoyed and disappointed"
Then they know exactly what we are going through.

Who knows if Dan Murray even said that or if there was a meeting at all?

Let us have a fans Forum and get some proper questions out there to be answered.

Dr.Nightdub
21/09/2004, 8:53 PM
While its possible NightDub that Fenn did get an excellent deal, its also possible that SPA fans want to believe this kind of stuff because he turned you lot down.

Hardly - we accepted we had to get rid of Bird and Ndo to get the wage bill down, and Bird was on just over a grand a week, Ndo on less. In those circumstances, we'd hardly have been in a position to go chasing players in the €1900-a-week bracket. More likely Fenn got a much lower offer from us which he turned down without even blinking, but used the fact that we were interested as a negotiating ploy elsewhere.

patsh
22/09/2004, 4:45 AM
Hardly - we accepted we had to get rid of Bird and Ndo to get the wage bill down, and Bird was on just over a grand a week, Ndo on less. In those circumstances, we'd hardly have been in a position to go chasing players in the €1900-a-week bracket. More likely Fenn got a much lower offer from us which he turned down without even blinking, but used the fact that we were interested as a negotiating ploy elsewhere.Well Fenn was signed before last Christmas, long before Bird or Ndo (was he even at SPA then?) had to leave SPA, so that was not an issue. Remember back then, when that red-faced little boll*x told you all that "we are all one big happy family" andyou all that he was the greatest thing since sliced bread?