PDA

View Full Version : Alan Kelly and Fenerbahce fans

Dodge
15/02/2013, 7:15 AM
http://balls.ie/football/fenerbahce-fans-and-alan-kelly/

He's right on the sending off. It's just interesting seeing the reaction from Fenerbahce fans ater the game

They'd break the internet if they had to put up most of the guys who are way, way behind Kelly here

Spudulika
15/02/2013, 7:41 AM
From a club that actively "organise" referees, ha ha

Fester
15/02/2013, 8:07 AM
He was right to send him off. 'And the look of innocence'

A face
15/02/2013, 8:51 AM
Dont think it should have been a red, maybe a yellow but not a second yellow. I dont know what was happening around it, it could have been going on all game but as an isolated incident its not a red. The only thing that was intentional was the little trip at the end, catching the underneath of his heel. Fenerbahce fans are always going to over react though.

GCdfc
15/02/2013, 8:53 AM
I thought it was more than a little trip. The intent to cause harm was there. He swung his leg hard. It wasn't a case of sticking his foot out to trip.

Dodge
15/02/2013, 8:54 AM
Are you for real? A little trip? He kicked him!

For the record it was in the 4th minute and a straight red (and would be every single time)

pineapple stu
15/02/2013, 9:06 AM
The first one is maybe a little trip. The second one is a kick alright. Good spot from Kelly.

bullit
15/02/2013, 9:07 AM
The Galatasaray Twitter most prob exploded in LOLS & i guess their fans gave a standing ovation to Miisster K.e.l.l.y fram Errlannda.
:D

Defo red btw

Fivesilver
15/02/2013, 9:41 AM
Room for argument, but far from the worst decision he's ever made.

Closed Account 2
15/02/2013, 9:49 AM
Revenge for Cascarino's treatment in Bursa!

A face
15/02/2013, 11:01 AM
Just showed it to 4 lads in the office here and said nothing to them .... They all said not a red, a yellow yeah but not a yellow.

Mr A
15/02/2013, 11:32 AM
He clearly kicked the guy. Straight red. And by the way, the rules are and should be exactly the same for first and second yellows.

Referees can't win. So many people want different things from them- for example "common sense" i.e. don't apply some rules sometimes and "consistency" i.e. always do the same thing. You can't have both FFS! You hear daft stuff like "it's a derby game, he should have let that go". Again- FFS.

Charlie Darwin
15/02/2013, 12:21 PM
I have often said that referee Alan Kelly should be sent to his hovel back.

bullit
15/02/2013, 12:31 PM
He clearly kicked the guy. Straight red. And by the way, the rules are and should be exactly the same for first and second yellows.

Referees can't win. So many people want different things from them- for example "common sense" i.e. don't apply some rules sometimes and "consistency" i.e. always do the same thing. You can't have both FFS! You hear daft stuff like "it's a derby game, he should have let that go". Again- FFS.

100%
I thought the ref in the Real Madrid V Man.u had a brilliant game on Weds.I was shot down all over my Twitter and Facebook for stating that.

Charlie Darwin
15/02/2013, 12:33 PM
100%
I thought the ref in the Real Madrid V Man.u had a brilliant game on Weds.I was shot down all over my Twitter and Facebook for stating that.
But he missed just about everything important.

ATFC-1887
15/02/2013, 12:42 PM
Dunno how anyone can say this isnt a red. Clearly kicked him hard with the intent to hurt him.

L.T.F.C.
15/02/2013, 12:46 PM
Just showed it to 4 lads in the office here and said nothing to them .... They all said not a red, a yellow yeah but not a yellow.
I think you should suspend your own account for thinking like that. He clearly kicked him. Thats not a trip.

Dodge
15/02/2013, 1:01 PM

I just like the image of you walking up to them with your laptop and playing them the clip without saying anything.

A face
15/02/2013, 1:11 PM
I just like the image of you walking up to them with your laptop and playing them the clip without saying anything.

They are in the office, and it was playing ..... i just said "have a look at that" and walked to another office to get something and came back to see the reaction. They didn't know it was Alan Kelly or even an Irish ref.

I know we all think refs should be consistent etc. and i'd love it to be the case in LOI but heres the thing .... We is prepared to say it is that way in this league? Say it and stand over it? Yeah .... i thought so.

He kicked out to trip him, Kelly could have given him a yellow and no one would be talking about it. Either way no one has said anything that has made me change my mind.

outspoken
15/02/2013, 1:25 PM
At first when you watch it it looks like nothing more than a cynical trip but on replay theres a blatant kick in there which defo falls under the violent conduct heading, well done mr.kelly.

I've always said Alan Kelly is a superb referee when he goes abroad because he knows he has to preform well to get another game but here he is number 1 and thats it hes never pushed therefore his performances are not as good as they should be.

peterpan
15/02/2013, 1:39 PM
Lads if that's not a red card noting is, if that happened you on the street it would be an assault, smashing spot by Alan to be fair to him. Best ref in the league by a mile.

harpin
15/02/2013, 1:47 PM
Lads if that's not a red card noting is, if that happened you on the street it would be an assault, smashing spot by Alan to be fair to him. Best ref in the league by a mile.

Well said Paddy

peterpan
15/02/2013, 2:03 PM
Well said Paddy
It's Peter not paddy!!!!!!;)

Dermotron
15/02/2013, 2:08 PM
Red card for sure.

Fans losing the head with him wouldn't have had the same view of the opening of the video where it looks like a trip and no more. Any of those losing the head after seeing the close up are a bit ott

Dodge
15/02/2013, 2:42 PM
Lads if that's not a red card

To be fair, its only one bloke that disagrees with that (and his work colleagues that he doesn't talk to). The rest of us are normal (well normal enough anyway)

Flawless
15/02/2013, 4:09 PM
Stephen Maher sent of for us in identical circumstances last season.. Red all day.. If theres intent its red..

Notaclue
15/02/2013, 6:35 PM
Just watched it and I have to agree it's a certain red. Look at where Kelly is when Meireles when he does thing. He is in the perfect position to spot it and fair play to him for not bottling it, because it happens in the 4th min.

DannyInvincible
15/02/2013, 6:43 PM
Definite red. Meireles knew exactly where the ball was but that's not where he was aiming when he kicked out.

David BOHie
15/02/2013, 8:49 PM

Not a red? A definite yellow? but definite not a yellow?

Your friends'd wanna lay off the crack!

DannyInvincible
16/02/2013, 6:39 AM
A player can be shown a red card for any of the following:

Serious foul play
Violent conduct
Using offensive, racist, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
Spitting at an opponent or any other person
Denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper inside his/her own penalty area)
Denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick (known as a professional foul or ""last man" foul)
Receiving a second caution (yellow card) in the same match

As outlined in Law 12 (on page 61) of the Laws of the Game: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

Meireles was guilty of at least one or both of the first two offences.

Charlie Darwin
05/10/2013, 11:45 AM
Apparently Alan Kelly is switching to the MLS after this weekend's fixtures.

Dodge
05/10/2013, 12:28 PM
He's our until the end of the season apparently.

Then he's off

razor
06/10/2013, 6:41 PM
January, on a 3 year deal.
Not sure if there'll be any fee involved.

mcgonigle
06/10/2013, 7:32 PM
January, on a 3 year deal.
Not sure if there'll be any fee involved.

After seeing both games today he'll be a big lose.

gufcfan
09/10/2013, 4:27 PM
After seeing both games today he'll be a big lose.
Yeah, the FAI will find it hard to replace the income from suspensions he brings in (http://ie.soccerway.com/referees/alan-kelly/44717/matches/).

dundalkfc10
09/10/2013, 5:29 PM
Yeah, the FAI will find it hard to replace the income from suspensions he brings in (http://ie.soccerway.com/referees/alan-kelly/44717/matches/).

How anyone rates any of the Ref's in this League is beyond me

Its not only the major calls (that seem to be given wrongly in at least 2/3 games every week) Its the silly free kicks they give, I cant remember who the ref was but the Dundalk V Limerick game 2 weeks back, for a good 15 mins the ref gave a free kick for every 50/50 header contested in the air (just made up what way to give it when he blew the whistle)

marinobohs
16/10/2013, 12:06 PM

'apply common sense' - don't send off OUR player no matter how bad the offence
'consistency' - Always send off the OPPOSITION player

Hope that clears it up for you Mr A (and any aspiring refs) ;)

Kelly has had his moments over the years and can still come across as believing he is infallible but best ref in LOI by a mile ( the bar is not set high) and will be a loss. Good luck to him in the US.

Hibs4Ever
21/10/2013, 5:05 PM
Reffing Bayern Munich v Viktoria Plzen on Wednesday night. Brilliant for him

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2014/matches/round=2000479/match=2011798/prematch/officials/index.html