PDA

View Full Version : Whats happening at Ards ??

A face
20/09/2004, 1:12 PM
Can anyone fill us in on what is happening at Ards ??

TheJamaicanP.M.
20/09/2004, 7:35 PM
Can anyone fill us in on what is happening at Ards ??

Only thing I know about Ards is that their goalkeeper played for Northern Ireland against the Republic when we beat them 4 nil in Windsor Park in 1995. He was muck. :D

Plastic Paddy
21/09/2004, 10:24 AM
Only thing I know about Ards is that their goalkeeper played for Northern Ireland against the Republic when we beat them 4 nil in Windsor Park in 1995. He was muck. :D

I seem to remember that 'keeper was Paul Kee. I think he also played for Cobh for a brief time and went on to work with Bohs as a coach. :)

Anyway, an update about Ards from the BBC:

:) PP

---

Ards get league go-ahead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/3675258.stm

Darren Fitzgerald and his Ards team-mates have agreed pay cuts
Troubled Ards will be allowed to play in the 2004-05 Irish Premier League after giving assurances about their financial situation.
There had been doubts about the club's viability after players' pay cheques bounced and mounting debts threatened to put it out of business.

The club put its case to the Irish Football Association on Monday night.

A new management structure has been put in place and the players have agreed wage cuts of up to 50 per cent.

First team manager Shane Reddish was relieved to hear his players would be opening their Premier League campaign away to Institute on Saturday.

"It is great news. It was a nice phone call to receive after all the turmoil of the last few weeks," said Reddish.

"The response from the supporters has been brilliant. Without that, there would be no football club at the moment.

"I have committed myself to the club and all the players are staying with up to 50 per cent wage cuts which is a great credit to them."

The club intends to proceed with plans to build a new stadium on land leased from Ards Borough Council on the Port ferry Road.

During the last three seasons, Ards have played their homes matches at Solitude in Belfast, Taylor's Avenue in Carrickfergus and Clandeboye Park in Bangor.

A face
21/09/2004, 11:14 AM
It seems like there aot of clubs sailing close to the wind !!

gspain
21/09/2004, 11:51 AM

It was November 94 - Paul Kee the coalman for Newtownards later played for Cobh I think. He had a blinder in Austria when NI won 2-1 a month earlier but was way out of his depth. In fairness we ripped them apart that night and the result was not really down to him. Keane and Townsend ran them ragged in midfield.

This was a stunning away win - 2 up in 10 minutes, total control and won pulling up for the last half hour. NI finished up level on points with us in that cmapaign and we made the playoff on the head to head results.

Stanley Chan
22/09/2004, 8:38 PM
Paul Kee signed as reserve keeper at Glentoran last season, just as cover. Thankfully never needed!

This season although still knockin around the club, isnt employeed by Glentoran!

Always remember the joke about Kee after 'said' game:- he went into the changing rooms and went to put his head in his hands and missed :p

Lionel Ritchie
23/09/2004, 10:40 AM
Paul Kee signed as reserve keeper at Glentoran last season, just as cover. Thankfully never needed!

This season although still knockin around the club, isnt employeed by Glentoran!

Always remember the joke about Kee after 'said' game:- he went into the changing rooms and went to put his head in his hands and missed :p

:D
Ah Paul mate thanks for the memories. Hope that repetetive back strain from picking the ball out of the net aint playing up.
Salt of the earth.

willy7385
29/09/2004, 2:27 AM

Always remember the joke about Kee after 'said' game:- he went into the changing rooms and went to put his head in his hands and missed :pthank god he was never needed :)

gufcfan
12/10/2004, 5:43 PM
It was November 94 - Paul Kee the coalman for Newtownards later played for Cobh I think. He had a blinder in Austria when NI won 2-1 a month earlier but was way out of his depth. In fairness we ripped them apart that night and the result was not really down to him. Keane and Townsend ran them ragged in midfield.

This was a stunning away win - 2 up in 10 minutes, total control and won pulling up for the last half hour. NI finished up level on points with us in that cmapaign and we made the playoff on the head to head results.

I remember
alan mcloughlin scoring against the north 2 send us 2 d states. Was only 10 at the time. jump up and send the coffey table across the sittin room...