PDA

View Full Version : Not scoring goals

harry crumb
19/09/2004, 10:17 PM
I think since the Intertoto Cup run the problem has been in scoring goals. For the last 2 years we have relied on John O'Flynn to get the goals. John O'Flynn has lost his pace. I hope for his and our sake that he finds it again.

Cork City have really fickle fans.

thecorner
19/09/2004, 10:52 PM
and there we were all saying at the start of the season that we had too many strikers

BOF
20/09/2004, 9:24 AM
Just lookin at Aertel (p239) list of top scorers in the eL.

Fenn has six and so has JOF.

Meanwhile Jason Byrne has 17 and Glen Fitzpatrick has 7. Thats twice as many as our boys. We are not scoring goals. Poor return for the season so far.

Brendan

bren101
20/09/2004, 11:02 AM
Lads
Do you not think that Fenn and O'Flynn are too alike ? I would rather see them both compete for the one position - O'Callaghan is the only player on the team that you would find it hard to replace, I would start him up front and leave the other two battle it out. Kinda like Cisse and Baros at Liverpool !?

patsh
20/09/2004, 11:09 AM
Lads
Do you not think that Fenn and O'Flynn are too alike ? I would rather see them both compete for the one position - O'Callaghan is the only player on the team that you would find it hard to replace, I would start him up front and leave the other two battle it out. Kinda like Cisse and Baros at Liverpool !?Well on current form, John O'Flynn wouldn't even make the bench.

bren101
20/09/2004, 11:23 AM
I agree, he has been brutal and any loyalty that a manger should have in a player would'nt normall last that long, but Fenn has'nt been to hot either - both have only scored 6 each I think ... I just think that City are much better off with one or the other - not both, there is a little competition needed in that team and not just up front - too may players are just automatically getting their game ... I think Dolan was feeling the pressure after the Rovers (spit) game and changed it because of that (not dismissing what is rumoured to of happened with Georgie and his mate during the week) but he dropped the wrong players me feels.

Dolan is'nt having the best of times at the moment, but as Eircom managers go he is'nt the worst, he just needs to wake up, cop on and inject some competition into the side - a spell on the bench is exactly what O'Flynn needs, I just hope he gets a few before the season ends to boost his pre-season confidence after all it can only benift the team !!!

thecorner
20/09/2004, 1:17 PM
fenn isnt an out and out goalscorer and was never gonna get us 20 goals a season but what a player to hold up the ball.everything goes through him and the faster flynny learns how to feed off him, the better for all of us

give doyler a chance

im sick of hearing flynny is coming back from injury

how long does it take to come back from an injury :eek: :rolleyes:

Eric
21/09/2004, 1:51 PM
I think that Fenn and Flyyny are 2 similar players and have never really hit it off in terms of scoring goals for us.

Last Friday night when George came on up front with Flynny it looked to give him a new lease of life. The 2 of them knew what the other was going to do and we actually looked like we might score a goal!!!

It should be either Doyler + Fenn or else Georgie + Flynny up front. Opposites attract and all that ****e

I think we might actually get a few goals if we played either of these pairings

thecorner
21/09/2004, 2:56 PM
Last Friday night when George came on up front with Flynny it looked to give him a new lease of life. The 2 of them knew what the other was going to do and we actually looked like we might score a goal!!!

thought they could have stayed there for a week and still wouldnt score.. even when georgie and flynny were up front,they still didnt test the keeper

pete
22/09/2004, 9:04 PM
I can't believe O'Flynn is still starting games.

At least Fenn has setup a few goals whereas can't remember last time O'Flynn scored let alone setu anything...

Fair_play_boy
22/09/2004, 10:33 PM
can't remember last time O'Flynn scored let alone setu anything... To be fair to Flynny, his recent goal against Waherfurh at the Cross was a peach.

Fair_play_boy
22/09/2004, 10:37 PM
what is rumoured to of happened with Georgie and his mate during the week :confused: What is that about? Or is this yet another newcomer to the forum writing something mysterious, never to be heard of again?

niamh
23/09/2004, 1:00 PM
Fenn & JOF have not linked up as well as JOF and George did, and it took them no time to get going once they were put together. It is hard to see the relationship between Fenn and O'Flynn improving if they haven't clicked already.
When we were playing our best football this season Doyler and Fenn were up front, but even though it has been JOF's worse season (form wise) for City, he is still our joint top goal scorer.
Fenn has been more consistant than John, but IMO John is still the better player of the two.