PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock Rovers 1-3 Old School City (ratings)

Sheridan
18/09/2004, 4:49 PM
It's a start. It's easy to be glib and point out that Rovers are unspeakably poor at the moment, but the very fact that we hadn't even scored against them so far this season seems to bespeak a fundamental improvement. Without being unduly harsh to any of Roddy's signings, it's hard to avoid the conclusions some are drawing from the composition of last night's team (namely, that it comprised largely players who've been at the club from the start of the season or earlier) and the corresponding upturn in form.

That said, no-one can doubt the commitment or ability of players such as Grant Cooper, Carlton Palmer and Alex Nesovic (and although Keith Rowland didn't play to his potential last night, his bitter disappointment at having seen City's lead slip was written all over his face and issuing from his mouth as he left the field at half time.) But for the sake of continuity, a balance needs to be struck. That balance was right last night, and should probably be retained for the rest of the season.

Staying in the Premier is still a huge ask, but an achievable one. We can and must beat Cork on Thursday. On any other occasion, a point would be a creditable result from this fixture, but Cork are there to be taken and we're in the form to do it.

Barry Ryan: 8.5
Outstanding in difficult circumstances. Must be coating his gloves in treacle, such is his ability to hold even the most erratically bouncing ball. On current form, the best goalkeeper in the country.

Scott Friel: 6.5
The .5 is for putting himself about. Hasn't been really convincing in any of the various roles he's filled for the club so far, despite undeniable physical presence.

Keith Rowland: 6
Fell apart somewhat in the second half. Should have been penalised for a blatant trip in the box. Willingness to support the attack was encouraging, though.

Grant Cooper: 8
Outstanding in the air again, cleaning out man and ball whilst generating tremendous power and achieving tremendous distance on his headed clearances. Unlucky not to score with two powerful headers and looks a genuine threat from set pieces.

Tony O'Connor: 8
Toccy added centre-half to this season's positional repertoire (which also includes left wing-back, right-back and central midfield) without ever looking out of place. For a player whose career looked over a few months ago, his energy and stamina is remarkable. Won a surprising amount of ball in the air.

Cathal O'Connor: 8.5
He's back! The Cottsy of old was in evidence once in again, full of trickery, running and always looking to get in behind the Rovers defence. The quality of his finish for the second goal was fully evident from my position in the stand, as Cottsy slid his shot straight through the only football-sized gap between Payne and the post. One second half incident in which Cottsy and Paul Crowley practically mugged a couple of Rovers players on the half-way line in order to win back possession aptly summed up City's commitment on the night. Cathal seems to love playing at Richmond Park; all four of his goals this season have come in Inchicore.

Adam Rundle: 7
Still seems a little reluctant to take on his full back, preferring to check or cut back inside more often than not. Should also be more willing to push infield from his wing during general play. For the second game in succession, Adam nervelessly slotted home his only chance of the game.

Paul Crowley: 7.5
Great to see a true City legend back from long-term injury and showing glimpses of the form that made him one of the most effective players in the First Division last year. Obviously short of full fitness and match sharpness, but left his guts on the field (metaphorically speaking, thankfully) and could prove a massive asset for the remainder of the season. Jumped through Hoops for the club in more senses than one.

Dom Tierney: 9 - Man of the Match
After fully five months of mediocre performances, Dom was outstanding against Pats and extremely unlucky to be dropped for subsequent games. His desire to be reinstated (despite being slightly short of match fitness) in the team was obvious to anyone who witnessed last night's game, and was perhaps the main contributory factor in City's improved showing. For this reason alone, despite the strong claims of Cottsy and even Robbie Farrell, Dom gets the nod as man of the match.

Gary O'Neill: 8
Possibly stung by his omission from the team for the previous game, Gary ran himself into the ground and held the ball up superbly. Still looking a little tentative in front of goal, but his very presence is still enough to spread panic through a defence like dysentry through a shanty town.

Alex Nesovic: 7
I believe, in the heady days of the mid-nineties, this attitude was described as being "up for it." Arguing with the manager whilst still on the pitch isn't a good sign, but in the circumstances Alex can be forgiven for being wound up like a cheap yo-yo for much of his time on the field. Nonetheless, he was playing quite well until he got booked and was immediately (and prudently) subsituted. As most fans would surely agree, it's better for a player to be slightly too enthustiastic than to be apathetic.

SUBS

Robbie "Lazarus" Farrell: 8
Jesus, where did this come from? I never remember Robbie being this good even in the days when he used to torment First Division defences for fun. Won everything in the air and set up the decisive goal with a marvellous headed flick. Even had the decency to provide his club's long-suffering fans with a comedic interlude at the death, blasting horribly wide of the far post having rounded Payne. I can imagine the resultant conversation with Gary O'Neill:

Gary: Why didn't you just square it to me, I was totally unmarked. Robbie: You were offisde! Gary: No, as long as you'd passed it sideways or backwards I was back onside and entitled to tap it in. Robbie: Well, you know that, I know that, but does Alan Kelly know that?

Marc Kenny: 6
Brought on for the last ten minutes simply because Dom Tierney had pushed his body as far as it was going to go. Didn't do anything wrong.