PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane's abysmal form

Superhoops
18/09/2004, 11:14 AM
Roy Keane's form this season has been 'abysmal'.

This is not another rant by the 'I Hate RMK brigade', but is an assessment from the man himself.

Discussing MU's poor start to the season. Keane has blamed himself for not setting a good enough example on the field for the rest of the team to follow. Keane said 'I thought my form for the Republic of Ireland was poor, but the other night my performance against Lyon was abysmal'.

While this is refreshingly honest and reflects the high standards that Keane expects of himself, it is also worrying from ROI's point of view. If his form does not improve (a) is he likely to ask Brian Kerr to leave him out of the France game, or (b) will Brian Kerr leave him out anyway.

If he does play and does not perform then what? Will Kerr take stick for playing him even though Roy said he was not playing well enough?

The cynic in me says that Roy might be having second thoughts about returning to international football. The optimist in me says that Roy will kick himself up the a**e and will come out in Paris with all guns blazing and lead us to getting a result.

Although I hope it is the latter and he can stick his fingers up at those of us who had the temerity to question his return, I fear it will end up in disappontment. :(

thejollyrodger
18/09/2004, 11:20 AM
i think roy will keep playing for ireland as long as its still possible for him. Same goes for Utd. The only real question for me is, can he keep playing? Is it just bad form with injuries or is he not up to it anymore?

Time will tell when all uniteds players are back. If they are not performing well and getting the results then there is a major problem at Old Trafford. Same goes for France. If he cant do the business in Paris maybe its time to call it a day.

TheJamaicanP.M.
18/09/2004, 1:46 PM
Lat's hope Paris is not his waterloo. Personally, I think he will be ok for the France game. Saw him against Bolton last week and he was arguably the best player on the park. He is still a bit rusty and needs a run of games. He is never going to be the player he once was. However, we don't have too many players that are playing at his level and his presence is important. Fingers crossed.

thecorner
19/09/2004, 7:24 AM
at least he has the balls to admit and do something about it.lot of other players out there just happy to turn up and collect his wages

TerryPhelan
19/09/2004, 11:05 AM
Keano is past it internationally. Give us back Mick Milligan, Liam Daish and the boys - bread and butter men who did exactly what it said on the tin. ;)

But nah, while I think Keano might be having second thoughts about his international return - especially considering how out-of-sorts and off the pace he looked against the Swiss - I can see him raising his game against the Frogs and we will do another Amsterdam ArenA, 2-2 (though he will probably be so ****ered from the effort of it that we won't see him kick a ball (or player) until the home leg). With Holland most likely going to be out, I reckon Kerr will stick the Mighty Kev in alongside him - if only to make Keane appear better, might be good for his confidence...

Superhoops
20/09/2004, 1:29 PM
SH('stripes'?!) :confused:

Dav, just to put your mind at rest, and something I am sure you would understand judging from other posts by you and about you! -

If you are wearing 'stripes' and are lying on the ground horizontal, all tired and emotional (maybe with drink involved!) those 'stripes' to the casual onlooker become 'hoops'. Savvy! :p ;) :rolleyes:

lopez
20/09/2004, 10:47 PM
Wasn't that the battle where the Irish born Duke beat the French army?

Let's hope Paris IS his Waterloo..Born was about the only thing Irish about him.

SH(stripes), Davros? Wasn't that a bar of major illegal activity in the late eighties in Ireland's second city (and I'm not talking about drilling here - well not with a firearm anyway :D )?

Condex
20/09/2004, 11:19 PM
Wasn't much wrong with Keane or O'Sheas form tonight against Liverpool

Beanie
21/09/2004, 8:32 AM
Keane was immense last night very impressed with his preformance, O'shea did OK as well and Finnan looked well up for it, bollocking the linesman, setting up the goal and to top it off getting pole-axed by Keane

drummerboy
21/09/2004, 8:37 AM
I'm sure Brian Kerr watched O’Shea and Keane performances with interest last night. Playing the two of them together in midfield could be an option for Ireland, as O’Shea has been very poor at full back recently.

dublinred
21/09/2004, 8:51 AM
I can't stand keane but I can't fault his performance last night was back to his best getting stuck in , booked and lucky not to be sent off vintage Keane not like the one touch pussyfooting he had been playing until now this season , hopefully he will get better with a few more matches under his belt he is defo up for the big matches and they dont come any bigger than paris.

inexile
21/09/2004, 8:59 AM
i thought all 3 irishmen did very well last night i did think keane was top class to be fair he does the anchorman job so well that you probably dont even notice him at times but how hard did Liverpool have to work to get the ball up to Cisse last night? Thats a sign Keane was on his game. I was impressed with O'Shea too did the basics well and looked to get forward too which I wasn't sure he would do. Finnan again did the basics well especially because he isnt a natural winger but i thought he and Josemi are developing into a nice little partnership. Good to see three Irishmen playing in such a high profile match, the form of the Irish in general seems to be improving Morrison started at the weekend for Birmingham, Carr scored and O'Brien is really improving, Elliott scored 2 for Sunderland, Macken and Dunne did well for Man City albeit against Palace, Gary Doherty is getting regular games for Norwich,Robbie Keane is back in the Spurs team just needs a goal or two, the only worrying this are around 2 of our more creative players Reid who has been banished to the reserves until he can get a move in January and Duff who cant get into the Chelsea team ahead of Joe Cole which is really worrying

NeilMcD
21/09/2004, 9:06 AM
Keane ran midfield last night against Gerrard and Alonso, and then Hamman in the second half. He controlled teh play got some great tackles in, got the crowd going when it was needed and up the tempo too. His best game for Utd since last seasons semi final against Arsenal. If he plays like that iin Paris, the inexperienced french central midfielders wont have a chance. Gerrard and Alonso and Hamman are all established internationals with pleny of experience and O shea and Keane ran the show. Has to be good for Ireland.

Colm55
21/09/2004, 9:18 AM
Take it you're being ironic :rolleyes: (or wearing ManUre-tinted spectacles :eek: ) ......one scored an o.g.& the other was lucky to stay on the park :o

However,desperate times seem to call for desperate measures,so guess if they're 'fit',they'll both play! :o

Good man Davros, telling it how you see it. But who would you replace them with? take Paris in three weeks time, who would you prefer to see in the centre of midfield? if not Keane, Kevin 'Zinadine' Kilbane? maybe mattie holland, what about bringing Mark Kinsella back from exile, Graham Kavanagh perhaps? ? The french will shake in their boots. If your going to criticise keanes performance telling us he was lucky to stay on the park, and desperate times call for desperate measures, you could at least give an alternative midfield pairing, but you can't. Why is that?

inexile
21/09/2004, 9:49 AM
i can see why ferguson played o shea in midfield last night. I reckon it was to get his confidence back up while any mistakes he would have made wouldnt be disaster! he started well and bossed midfield with Keane and after a good performance hopefully his confidence will improve from an Irish point of view but i hope he is **** for united

Plastic Paddy
21/09/2004, 9:51 AM
Rather have Carsley,Delap & Kilbane-at least they've always wanted to play for their country

You missed this thread then Dav? :rolleyes: ;)

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=17623

;) PP

Beavis
21/09/2004, 10:04 AM
O'Shea was completely at fault for the goal last night,not because he was unlucky enough to turn the ball into his net but he allowed Finnan get away from him far too easily(badly ball watching).Sadly I'm rating him less every game I see him.
Keane was very good.First time in a long time he's been so aggresive.

inexile
21/09/2004, 10:26 AM
i wouldnt say completely at fault to be honest they always say if you cant win the ball do enough to make it difficult for the attacker and he did to be fair hence finnans header going in off his legs

carnstien
21/09/2004, 12:38 PM
Keane was unbelievable in central midfield last night. Every time Liverpool gained any kind of momentum he put in a crunching tackle and that was that, as well as that his passing was as good as ever.

If you think Kav, Holland and Kilbane are better option in central midfield you are an idiot, there is no other way to put it, you are simply a moron who should be locked up and the key thrown away.

TheJamaicanP.M.
21/09/2004, 2:02 PM
Do they do have :cool: Specsavers in Galway? ;)

Davros, are you sure you weren't that 16 year-old that Keane allegedly assaulted?! :D
You should know by now that Carnstein wears blinkers. He has about as much knowledge of football as Howard Wilkinson. Maybe that's a compliment. Wilko did win a league title. :D

lopez
21/09/2004, 3:42 PM
Keane was unbelievable in central midfield last night. Every time Liverpool gained any kind of momentum he put in a crunching tackle and that was that, as well as that his passing was as good as ever.

If you think Kav, Holland and Kilbane are better option in central midfield you are an idiot, there is no other way to put it, you are simply a moron who should be locked up and the key thrown away.Reading some of your previous posts I'd say you are the best person to judge whether someone is a moron who should be locked away. :cool: I know, I know: You have a certificate to prove you are sane, unlike the rest of us.:rolleyes:

DolansWaistcoat
21/09/2004, 3:58 PM
Keane was excellent last night the man of the match by a mile,of course sky sporys gave the award to Rio,what a joke. :mad:

Superhoops
21/09/2004, 5:16 PM
Keane was excellent last night the man of the match by a mile,of course sky sporys gave the award to Rio,what a joke. :mad:

What's the point having these discussions when this type of 'blinkered' post appears. Typical Cork mentality, 'Roy is one of our own, f**k everyone else'.

Keane had a decent game last, better than he has had for ages, but 'man of the match', no way. He was enthusiastic and got stuck in all right but he was lucky not to be sent off and I think the referee gave him the benefit of the slippery pitch conditions.

I am no MU fan, but Ronaldo, Silvestre and even Rio had better claims.

Ever thought of changing your handle from Dolans Waistcoat to Keanes Ars*wipe? :o

DolansWaistcoat
22/09/2004, 8:42 AM
What's the point having these discussions when this type of 'blinkered' post appears. Typical Cork mentality, 'Roy is one of our own, f**k everyone else'.

Keane had a decent game last, better than he has had for ages, but 'man of the match', no way. He was enthusiastic and got stuck in all right but he was lucky not to be sent off and I think the referee gave him the benefit of the slippery pitch conditions.

I am no MU fan, but Ronaldo, Silvestre and even Rio had better claims.

Ever thought of changing your handle from Dolans Waistcoat to Keanes Ars*wipe? :o

Calm the bones there, SuperPR!CK. :p

I thought Keane was the best player the other night and thats MY OPINION.Liverpool as an attacking force were absoulutly useless which was why I thought it was a joke RIO got man of the match.Ronaldo had a great game as well and would be right up there.Silvestre got two goals which is great for a central defender but liverpool's defending for the goals was sh!te.

I'm not a big Keane fan I just thought he controlled the game.I'm a l'pool fan by the way and couldn't be further from a Roy Keane fan.

wallis
22/09/2004, 9:35 AM
I agree that Roy had a good game last night. Everything Man Utd did as an attacking force came from him. He broke up the attempted counter attacking by Liverpool , played the easy ball and set them on their way again. Gerard/Garcia/Alonso were completely over run.

I think its very easy to be critical of him and likewise , if you are a Keane supporter its also easy to 'big him up' . His style of play means that he does so many things off the ball, picking up runners , directing the defence etc. Most people dont even see it and are happy to judge his performance solely on what he does going forward.

Rios MOM was the predictable joke that we all knew was coming. The facts were that Liverpool never managed a shot in the first half or meaningful attack and that was completely down to Roy and more encouragingly John O Shea.

I wouldnt put any criticism on JOS for the goal, the delivery was superb and any ball that drops almost in your 6 yard box should be the goalkeepers. That ball is in the air long enough for Carroll to easily claim. He never called and JOS dropped off to cut out the header back. Even then Carroll tried some sort of 'marionette' jump in front of finnan that was quite frankly pathetic.

There could be a case for JOS and RK to play centre midfield against the French. Would it be so bad as to playing these two with GK , flood the midfield with 5 men and leave Robbie up front ? Give Duff the license to roam around in behind him ? I think JOS could become an excellent midfielder as I think his positional sense in the full back role is a little dodgy but with RK protecting him it could be the making of him ?

cullenswood
22/09/2004, 9:43 AM
I think its very easy to be critical of him and likewise , if you are a Keane supporter its also easy to 'big him up' . His style of play means that he does so many things off the ball, picking up runners , directing the defence etc. Most people dont even see it and are happy to judge his performance solely on what he does going forward.

Good honest assesment and brings a bit of level headedness (sic?) to the issue.

There could be a case for JOS and RK to play centre midfield against the French. Would it be so bad as to playing these two with GK , flood the midfield with 5 men and leave Robbie up front ? Give Duff the license to roam around in behind him ? I think JOS could become an excellent midfielder as I think his positional sense in the full back role is a little dodgy but with RK protecting him it could be the making of him ?

Interesting proposal, but I would play 4-4-2 against the French. They will be missing Viera and Makelele and I dont think there is any need for the ultra-defensive set up against them. Get in at them is the way I would go.

About playing Sheasy in midfield for Ireland.... not sure about that yet. I'd only do it if he played there reguarly for United and got a bit of experience at it

carnstien
22/09/2004, 1:52 PM

Thats a load of complete ****e. Everytime Garcia, Alonso or anyone else looked like starting a dangerous attack or Liverpool gained any kind of momentum, Keane was there to sort it out and his use of the ball was flawless.

If Keane had not been on the pitch the Manchester United midfield would have been dominated and Liverpool would have gotten at the very least a draw out of the game,

Superhoops
23/09/2004, 12:11 AM
Thats a load of complete ****e.

Which part of this was ****e?

Keane had a decent game - Y/N
better than he had had for ages - Y/N
Man of the match ? no way - Y/N
He was enthisiastic - Y/N
He got stuck in - Y/N
He was lucky not to be sent off - Y/N
The referee gave him the benefit of the slippery pitch - Y/N

I think you will find that the above is not far away from most 'rational' people thought, including those posting on here. Also the newspaper reports and Sky pundits views would support this being a fair assessment.

DolansWaistcoat
23/09/2004, 7:40 AM
I'd answer yes to every one except no way for Man of the match.

Why not?Along with Ronaldo and maybe Silvestre(for 2 goals) Keane was one of the only good players on the pitch in what was a shocking performance by both teams imo.