PDA

View Full Version : Amateur/ Part-time

nr637
25/01/2013, 8:59 AM
Considering the time put into training and travelling all over the country to play matches there is a lot of effort put in by players especially in the First Division where most players are really amateur. Most train 2/3 times a week with another day for the match.

How much would you consider to be a realistic amount for a part-time player to be paid?

Would you be prepared to give up your time for that amount?

A face
25/01/2013, 9:26 AM
I'd say pay him whatever the club can afford .... anymore and its not a good way to manage things

Mr A
25/01/2013, 9:48 AM

There's quite a few people on the forum who put large amounts of time into their clubs with being paid, and indeed while contributing to club fundraisers at the same time.

On the players- sometimes it's a question of whether they want to progress in football or not. Clubs may not have money to lash out, but if you do want to make money from football then playing senior football as an amateur is a great way to get noticed.

Alternatively you could become a referee.

Patrick Dunne
25/01/2013, 9:59 AM
Well put by Mr A. If players just want to earn money, they would be better advised to work in a pub, restauraurant, office, etc.

I don't believe that a professional or semi-professional second tier in Ireland is viable without outside investment (eg directors loans). All First Division players should have amateur status.

outspoken
25/01/2013, 10:43 AM
All First Division players should have amateur status.

I'm not sure I would agree with that.....If clubs can pay players and get better players in it can only improve the league, then again you could argue an all amateur division would be more competitive but would the average football fan pay into watch it?

Dodge
25/01/2013, 11:09 AM
How much would you consider to be a realistic amount for a part-time player to be paid?

Whats your own opinion?

Sean South
25/01/2013, 11:25 AM
Ask him on twitter @PFAIOfficial

Dodge
25/01/2013, 11:30 AM
I would if I wasn't blocked...

nr637
25/01/2013, 12:30 PM
I don't believe that a professional or semi-professional second tier in Ireland is viable without outside investment (eg directors loans). All First Division players should have amateur status.

I'd be inclined to agree with the above idea, while the option to become part-time or full-time would only be available to teams promoted to the Premier which would already have this set-up.

razor
25/01/2013, 2:05 PM
Whatever happened to 50 quid a week and a bag of chips on the way home?

Longfordian
25/01/2013, 2:44 PM
Or a load of cans as per some of the Town teams of the 80s.

Dodge
25/01/2013, 3:04 PM

I'd be inclined to agree with the above idea, while the option to become part-time or full-time would only be available to teams promoted to the Premier which would already have this set-up.

Its as simple as this. Teams can spent what they like, on who they like, as long as they can afford it. if that means a grand a week for Danny North or expenses for some lad at Mervue, then so be it. Why look to put everything into pro/semi pro/amateur boxes. Let clusb decide whats best for themselves

Martinho II
25/01/2013, 6:19 PM
Or a load of cans as per some of the Town teams of the 80s.

ie the 86-87 season when they were coming back from Derry!