PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Poland - Wednesday, 6th February 2013 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

DannyInvincible
21/01/2013, 12:39 PM
Don't think there's a thread on this fixture yet.

Our squad is to be announced today in Trap's absence (due to the death of his sister). Anyone know at what time the announcement is to be made?

tetsujin1979
21/01/2013, 1:10 PM
it's usually around lunchtime, should be soon

geysir
21/01/2013, 2:43 PM
The Examiner reports that 'Keith Andrews has been ruled out of Ireland’s friendly against Poland, increasing the prospect of a debut call-up for midfielder Jeff Hendrick.
Andrews suffered a thigh strain during Bolton Wanderers’ scoreless draw at Crystal Palace on Saturday, forcing him to be substituted 14 minutes from time.'

tetsujin1979
21/01/2013, 2:44 PM
squad announced: https://twitter.com/FAIreland/statuses/293367805892501504

Squad v Poland on Feb 6 has been named:Westwood,Forde,Henderson, O'Shea,Clark,O'Dea,McShane,Coleman,Keogh,Cunningha m,Ward,Pilkington,MORE...
and https://twitter.com/FAIreland/statuses/293368427974889473

Squad v Poland CONTD-McClean, Brady, Mcgeady, Whelan, McCarthy, Hendrick, Meyler, Hoolahan, Cox, Long, Walters, Sammon, Keogh, Doyle #COYBIG (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23COYBIG&src=hash)
Call ups for Anthony Pilkington, Conor Sammon, Richard Keogh and Jeff Hendrick
Greg Cunningham back in the squad too

Yard of Pace
21/01/2013, 2:49 PM
No Alex Pearce? I suppose he had his turn in the last friendly and Keogh seems to be doing well....but he is playing well for Reading at the minute by the looks of things.

paul_oshea
21/01/2013, 2:51 PM
Fair play tets, whats this keogh guy like, i see he got good reviews for coventry.

tetsujin1979
21/01/2013, 2:52 PM
Surprised at O'Dea's call up to be honest. No Stephen Kelly either
Dunne on standby, pending an evaluation

tetsujin1979
21/01/2013, 2:52 PM
Fair play tets, whats this keogh guy like, i see he gets good reviews for coventry.Must be really good so, considering he captains Derby

paul_oshea
21/01/2013, 3:03 PM
Must be really good so, considering he captains Derby

Yep, i know that, but he got player of the year 2 seasons in a row for coventry. I'm not sure what your point was - ah i do. present instead of past tense!

DeLorean
21/01/2013, 3:09 PM
I've a friend who's a DCFC season ticket holder. Says Keogh is a solid, honest pro sort of a player. I saw their derby match against Forest on Saturday and Hendrick was outstanding in the second half.

geysir
21/01/2013, 3:10 PM
23 outfield player in that squad,
the 3 extras, Sammon, Keogh and Hendrick?

Cunningham's getting closer.
No Shay Given - probably his mooted return was mostly fabricated by idle minds.

Junior
21/01/2013, 3:19 PM
No Shay Given - probably his mooted return was mostly fabricated by idle minds.

Nope, he's agreed to return for the competitive games only, leaving the understudies to get experience in the friendlies. Those caps arent worth the.......;)

tetsujin1979
21/01/2013, 3:26 PM
Yep, i know that, but he got player of the year 2 seasons in a row for coventry. I'm not sure what your point was - ah i do. present instead of past tense!
there ya go, I could almost hear the gears grinding into action. Supposed to be a solid pro, don't see him unseating any of the established centre halves, but a worthy squad player.

Trapattoni goes to see Norwich and calls up Hoolahan, goes to Derby and calls up Hendrick, Sammon and Keogh

paul_oshea
21/01/2013, 3:28 PM
So are you saying if he went to more games, like we all had been saying originally, then he would have called up more players ;) ?

Anyway good to see so many fresh faces and that new players are being called up.

By the sounds of it I don't think we learn much from having keogh in there, but that might have been said about SSL before he was called up and he has done a good job for Ireland since being called up.

SkStu
21/01/2013, 3:29 PM
I have to say I'm quite pleased with this announcement. Hope he brings them through for the competitive game squads. Surprised by Pearces absence.

pineapple stu
21/01/2013, 3:36 PM
Mon the Sammo! Brilliant stuff.

tetsujin1979
21/01/2013, 3:36 PM
So are you saying if he went to more games, like we all had been saying originally, then he would have called up more players ;) ?

Anyway good to see so many fresh faces and that new players are being called up.

By the sounds of it I don't think we learn much from having keogh in there, but that might have been said about SSL before he was called up and he has done a good job for Ireland since being called up.
I think it's safe to say one or two would have been in the squad a little earlier.

DannyInvincible
21/01/2013, 3:58 PM
Pleasing to see so many new faces. Might Enda Stevens have warranted a place?

nigel-harps1954
21/01/2013, 4:07 PM
Pleasing to see so many new faces. Might Enda Stevens have warranted a place?

Precisely my thoughts.

IsMiseSean
21/01/2013, 4:13 PM
Thought Joey O'Brien would get a look in.

Charlie Darwin
21/01/2013, 4:14 PM
I'm a big Enda fan but I don't really see what he's done to warrant a place, especially considering Joey O'Brien has been oddly overlooked. Stephen Kelly's absence is also disappointing. Good to see Hendrick and Pilkington in particular in the squad. Not sure why Sammon is in.

IsMiseSean
21/01/2013, 4:15 PM
Looking at the squad. Our options at RB seem to be Coleman, O'Shea & McShane.

elroy
21/01/2013, 4:22 PM
has Kelly been omitted because of the tantrum he threw in the Faroes?

No O'Brien seems bizarre. Ive seen a good bit of W Ham this year and have thought he has looked one of their better players.

elroy
21/01/2013, 4:24 PM
Republic of Ireland squad to face Poland: Westwood, Forde, Henderson; O'Shea, Clark, O'Dea, Dunne (standby), McShane, Coleman, R Keogh, Cunningham, Ward; Pilkington, McClean, Brady, McGeady, Whelan, McCarthy, Hendrick, Meyler, Hoolahan; Cox, Long, Walters, Sammon, A Keogh, Doyle.

Will be interesting to see how many withdrawals we will have for this squad? For the first time in a long time, it may prove difficult to guess our XI for the competitive game against Sweden.

DannyInvincible
21/01/2013, 4:25 PM
Kelly's simply been given a break, along with Robbie: http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/anthony_pilkington_and_wes_hoolahan_called_up_to_r epublic_of_ireland_squad_1_1801453

Trapattoni said: “I have decided to use this friendly game as an opportunity to work with younger players to see their potential. As a result, I have given senior players like Robbie Keane and Stephen Kelly a break for this fixture.

Charlie Darwin
21/01/2013, 4:26 PM
has Kelly been omitted because of the tantrum he threw in the Faroes?

No O'Brien seems bizarre. Ive seen a good bit of W Ham this year and have thought he has looked one of their better players.
I assume he'll be added once a few players pull out, which makes his omission seem a bit pointless.

paul_oshea
21/01/2013, 4:26 PM
Thought Joey O'Brien would get a look in.

He didn't go to watch West Ham ; )

tommy_c12000
21/01/2013, 4:48 PM
When I saw three Derby players were called in I presumed one of them was Mark O'Brien and I was delighted. Not to be though. Anyone know anything of this Keogh character?? I've seen glimpses of Hendrick, looks promising and scored a cracker two wks ago (prob deserves a call up for that goal alone!) but not sure if he's international class. Sammon certainly ain't international class I'm afraid. Trap continues to play us for fools. He goes to a Derby County game and subsequently calls up 3 Derby players. Ridiculous stuff. It's a real cry of "Look at me Irish public, I am going to games, unearthing hidden diamonds and giving new players chances!!!" Gotta admire Trap, some rascal!!!

Charlie Darwin
21/01/2013, 4:54 PM
Why is O'Brien international class but not Hendrick?

eitoof
21/01/2013, 5:11 PM
Joe Mason would be a better bet than Sammon for me. Nice to see Sammon there all the same as an ex LOI guy.Paul Green, anyone? (ducks for cover !!)

Sullivinho
21/01/2013, 5:21 PM
Not sure why Sammon is in.

I don't get that one either. Baldy equality? Pun sensitivity?

I'll just assume Alex Pearce's paperwork was shot down over Switzerland and has yet to be resubmitted.

Charlie Darwin
21/01/2013, 5:47 PM
I don't get that one either. Baldy equality? Pun sensitivity?

I'll just assume Alex Pearce's paperwork was shot down over Switzerland and has yet to be resubmitted.
Nah, can't be pun sensitivity otherwise Mark Bunn would be in. Must be bald equality.

Paddy Garcia
21/01/2013, 6:52 PM
No Alex Pearce? I suppose he had his turn in the last friendly and Keogh seems to be doing well....but he is playing well for Reading at the minute by the looks of things.

Agree surely Pearce is well worth a place - lots of interest in him from other clubs also underpins his recent form.

IsMiseSean
21/01/2013, 7:14 PM
lots of interest in him from other clubs also underpins his recent form.

I would suggest that's also got to do with his contract negotiations...

geysir
21/01/2013, 7:21 PM
Nope, he's agreed to return for the competitive games only, leaving the understudies to get experience in the friendlies. Those caps arent worth the.......;)
Yeah, maybe Shay has sincerely agreed to make himself available but Trap isn't forthcoming, is he?
For the first time in decades, Shay isn't calling the shots about his place in the team, therefore Shay agreeing to return for competitive games, doesn't mean that Trap agrees to select him.
I'd say it's more a 'don't call us, we'll call you, if we need you'.

Charlie Darwin
21/01/2013, 7:37 PM
Yeah, maybe Shay has sincerely agreed to make himself available but Trap isn't forthcoming, is he?
For the first time in decades, Shay isn't calling the shots about his place in the team, therefore Shay agreeing to return for competitive games, doesn't mean that Trap agrees to select him.
I'd say it's more a 'don't call us, we'll call you, if we need you'.
From what Trap has said, Given has made himself available but he's actively looking at alternative options:

“It’s similar to the way I would have explained it to Robbie Keane, that there’s an evolution in the squad and it’s important for us to keep bringing players through. I explained it to Shay that I needed to use this match to give the players that I have more experience. When Shay spoke to us on the phone he said to us that if we did need him that he’s be there. That shows a great pride in the jersey, a great professionalism, it what characterises Shay as a player and we have a great deal of respect for him. We will continue to follow him as a player.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2013/0121/1224329137943.html

Bungle
21/01/2013, 7:53 PM
The only disappointments for me would be Pearce and especially Joey O'Brien. I think Hendrick could be a top player for us. It's good experience for him, even if Sweden and Austria is too soon for him. Keogh is an interesting addition and I suppose it's no harm having Sammon in the squad. Delighted to have Pilkington on board. This guy looks like a player.

Hopefully, we see Coleman, Hoolahan, Pilkington, McCarthy and Long start the game.

Paddy Garcia
21/01/2013, 8:22 PM
From what Trap has said, Given has made himself available but he's actively looking at alternative options:

“It’s similar to the way I would have explained it to Robbie Keane, that there’s an evolution in the squad and it’s important for us to keep bringing players through. I explained it to Shay that I needed to use this match to give the players that I have more experience. When Shay spoke to us on the phone he said to us that if we did need him that he’s be there. That shows a great pride in the jersey, a great professionalism, it what characterises Shay as a player and we have a great deal of respect for him. We will continue to follow him as a player.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2013/0121/1224329137943.html

Hard to agree with that - the pride in the jersey has re-emerged now that he can't get a game at club level & Villa at that - if anything is shows a disrespect for the jersey.

geysir
21/01/2013, 9:09 PM
Hard to agree with that - the pride in the jersey has re-emerged now that he can't get a game at club level & Villa at that - if anything is shows a disrespect for the jersey.
You are assuming that Shay had lost his pride when he retired. I seriously doubt if there was 'a lack of pride' involved with the original decision.
Shay, by making himself available if we need him, is not showing any disrespect.
That's the way it should be.

Closed Account
21/01/2013, 9:14 PM
Seamus Coleman just gone off injured holding his thigh. Dead leg or quad injury, probably out of squad.

Paddy Garcia
21/01/2013, 9:18 PM
You are assuming that Shay had lost his pride when he retired. I seriously doubt if there was 'a lack of pride' involved with the original decision.
Shay, by making himself available if we need him, is not showing any disrespect.
That's the way it should be.

ok ..but why do we need him more now than when he retired?

.... & we did not have a Bunn in the err tent back in the summer!

Supreme feet
21/01/2013, 10:07 PM
Interesting squad, good to see Cunningham, Pilkington and Hendrick in there. Underwhelmed by the continuing presence of O'Dea, McShane, Cox and Andy Keogh. Don't necessarily see what Richard Keogh and Sammon will add to the squad either, would have been happier to see Pearce and O'Brien.

Interesting comparing the make-up of this squad to that of five years ago - for our friendly against Brazil in 2008, Givens was able to pick a 21-man squad containing only two second-tier players, with 18 EPL players. This 27-man squad contains 12 EPL and 13 Championship players, plus our wonderful Toronto FC centre-back. Not the most encouraging trend.

geysir
21/01/2013, 10:34 PM
ok ..but why do we need him more now than when he retired?

.... & we did not have a Bunn in the err tent back in the summer!

There might be a situation where we do need to call him up, just as we could have done with a good keeper when we played without Shay against the Czech Rep at Croke Pk. So he is available for that call.
Apart from the debate about whether he is good enough, he has a value even if he is just called into the squad as back up, as he is (imo) our most prized example of a consummate professional. I'd leave it up to Trap to adjudicate on whether that is needed. I'd say Trap's inclination is to go with what we have.

Crosby87
22/01/2013, 12:59 AM
All we need to do is have one of our lads sneak into the Poles dressing room before the match and tie thier shoe laces together, and this will be an absolute trip for us.

Sullivinho
22/01/2013, 1:08 AM
All we need to do is have one of our lads sneak into the Poles dressing room before the match and tie thier shoe laces together, and this will be an absolute trip for us.

Cox should be well able to slip into the Pole's private area, no bother.

Crosby87
22/01/2013, 1:13 AM
With Long in front of him no doubt.

pineapple stu
22/01/2013, 7:40 AM
Just on Sammon, I know I'm biased (!), but I've been saying for a couple of years that he might be a decent option for Trap. He's a decent outlet player in the style that really only Walters carries out for us at the moment. Hoof the ball up to him and he'll hold off a defender and give the rest of the team time to get up the pitch. Seems to suit our not-exactly-cultured style of play. Whether he's international standard (can't believe I'm writing that) remains to be seen, and he'll presumably not get a run against Poland given Trap's take on first-time call-ups, but he could have a role to play alright.

Charlie Darwin
22/01/2013, 7:45 AM
I was amused to see Trap mention his technique as his best attribute. If that's true then we're truly screwed.

pineapple stu
22/01/2013, 1:22 PM
This, rather than losing 6-1 to Germany, is the giveaway to reach that conclusion? :p

DannyInvincible
22/01/2013, 2:57 PM
Whether he's international standard (can't believe I'm writing that) remains to be seen, and he'll presumably not get a run against Poland given Trap's take on first-time call-ups, but he could have a role to play alright.

What is the meaning of "international standard" anyway? Does its utterance have any worth really? When someone tells us a certain player isn't up to this supposed "international standard", aren't they just attempting to convince us that what is merely their personal lowly opinion of a particular player is in fact a quasi-objective statement supported by some impartial framework or standard? As with any international team, we have to make do with what we have and test our options. If a certain player can perform some role for us, then great; call him up. We won't know what a player's like until we give him a reasonable chance (based on previous club form, of course).