PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Poland - Wednesday, 6th February 2013 - Friendly

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

ArdeeBhoy
05/02/2013, 6:11 AM
More nonsense from Trap.

He really really has outlived his usefulness. Literally in his case.

geysir
05/02/2013, 7:06 AM
More nonsense from Trap.

He really really has outlived his usefulness. Literally in his case.
Eh? what post or news are you replying to?
Tardelli did the press conference.

ArdeeBhoy
05/02/2013, 7:36 AM
Not yesterday especially, but all his pronouncements to date on yet another largely pointless home fixture...

geysir
05/02/2013, 9:50 AM
Malone in the IT 'understands' that Cunningham will start at LB.

tetsujin1979
05/02/2013, 10:03 AM
few more of the starting lineup from http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/villas-best-player-clark-battling-for-central-role-in-irish-defence-3377051.html

Tardelli confirmed that John O'Shea will kick off the game at centre-half, with Paul McShane deputising for Coleman at right-full. Greg Cunningham is in line for a start at left-full ahead of Stephen Ward, although Trapattoni is mulling over his options in that department.

Charlie Darwin
05/02/2013, 10:09 AM
Tardelli wasn't excessively complimentary:

“Cunningham is technically good,” said Ireland’s assistant manager. “He’s not strong physically but he’s very tough. He shoots very well. He’s good for us.

“On Wednesday, sure, he deserves to play because he started to play with us two years ago and after that he had a little problem with his knee. I saw him many times and he’s fit so it’s possible he can start on Wednesday.”
Not being physically strong is presumably not a good attribute in an Ireland full back.

ifk101
05/02/2013, 10:17 AM
"Keogh is a good player," said Tardelli. "He is like St Ledger, maybe stronger physically, and the head is like Richard Dunne. It's possible that in the future he can play for us."

Keogh ≈ St Ledger; Keogh's head ~ Dunne's head; Keogh > St Ledger?

geysir
05/02/2013, 10:26 AM

Depends on the value of St Ledger's head, in a head to head comparison with Dunne's head.

But it appears Keogh is > St Ledger, but not right now.

DeLorean
05/02/2013, 1:33 PM
Kenny Cunningham has selected his first eleven (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0205/366275-kenny-cunningham/) for the match:

Kenny Cunningham’s Ireland XI (v Poland): 4-3-3 – Westwood; McShane, O’Shea, Clark, Cunningham; McCarthy, Whelan, Hoolahan; Long, Walters, McClean.

I love this bit, vintage Kenny...

"especially in terms of our ability to dominate that part of the pitch and retain possession of the football."

tetsujin1979
05/02/2013, 1:34 PM
team announced: https://twitter.com/FAIreland/statuses/298801625647181826

Tomorrow's team v Poland: Forde Mcshane O'shea Clark Cunningham Brady McCarthy Whelan McClean long Sammon #COYBIG (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23COYBIG&src=hash) #IrlPol (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23IrlPol&src=hash)

Charlie Darwin
05/02/2013, 1:38 PM
Boring and unadventurous as expected.

the doc
05/02/2013, 2:29 PM
"Keogh is a good player," said Tardelli. "He is like St Ledger, maybe stronger physically, and the head is like Richard Dunne. It's possible that in the future he can play for us."

Marco also said Clark was Villa best player!!!!!!! Do I wouldn't read too much into his quotes.

the doc
05/02/2013, 2:30 PM

Stop fishing!

DeLorean
05/02/2013, 2:43 PM
Boring and unadventurous as expected.

I'm not saying it's the team I would have picked but basically we've got Clark, McCarthy, McClean and Long all starting... that's four players that most on here had been crying out for not too long ago. He hasn't played a striker on the wing, we've got two out 'n' out wide players. Whelan and McCarthy is pretty clearly going to be the partnership in Sweden so it's important they get another game together. Outside of playing Hoolahan off of Long instead of Sammon, which I accept is a pretty big difference with regards the shape, I'm not sure I'd change too much. Obviously we didn't have huge options for right back this time around. Having a look at Cunningham is also a positive.

tommy_c12000
05/02/2013, 2:49 PM
Sammon and McShane should be nowhere near the Irish first team.

Charlie Darwin
05/02/2013, 2:59 PM
I'm not saying it's the team I would have picked but basically we've got Clark, McCarthy, McClean and Long all starting... that's four players that most on here had been crying out for not too long ago. He hasn't played a striker on the wing, we've got two out 'n' out wide players. Whelan and McCarthy is pretty clearly going to be the partnership in Sweden so it's important they get another game together. Outside of playing Hoolahan off of Long instead of Sammon, which I accept is a pretty big difference with regards the shape, I'm not sure I'd change too much. Obviously we didn't have huge options for right back this time around. Having a look at Cunningham is also a positive.
Well McCarthy is established first choice now, but point taken on the other three. My main gripe is midfield - he'll learn nothing from playing McCathy and Whelan together he doesn't already know, and if he was to stick with them it'd be worth trying another man in alongside them, Hoolahan or Hendrick, depending on his focus, considering Poland will dominate the ball comfortably.

DeLorean
05/02/2013, 3:27 PM
Yeah that's why I said "not too long ago" when talking about the four players. Having said that has McCarthy actually started with both Whelan and Andrews available?

I'm happy-ish under the circumstances. I'm not a Whelan fan but I do think it's important for a midfield pairing to develop an understanding, especially when one of them is pretty inexperienced in the first place. I hope Hendrick gets a good run out though as well.

I'm not really pushed about McShane, he's a decent pro and probably not as bad as some make out. I am also comforted by the fact that he won't be there when we've got a few more available :)

Wangball
05/02/2013, 3:29 PM
I have to say this whole rapid elevation of Sammon has me puzzled, whats he got that say Jon Daly of Dundee Utd hasn't got? Or Mason from Cardiff?

Fair play to him and all but I just don't get it.

DeLorean
05/02/2013, 3:34 PM
He was lucky enough to play well while Trap was in the stands watching somebody else.

geysir
05/02/2013, 3:37 PM
He's better than Holt.

nigel-harps1954
05/02/2013, 4:22 PM
Let's just hope it's only this friendly and not the upcoming qualifier games that Sammon gets his chance.

Charlie Darwin
05/02/2013, 4:24 PM
Let's just hope it's only this friendly and not the upcoming qualifier games that Sammon gets his chance.
I'm looking for the pun in this sentence about Connor Sammon but I can't find it :confused:

nigel-harps1954
05/02/2013, 4:35 PM
I'm looking for the pun in this sentence about Connor Sammon but I can't find it :confused:

I couldn't think of any. They've all been taken. If you can think of any more though let minnow. If I think of any in the meantime though I'll reel in the opportunaty with both hands. I'll just have to mullet over for now though.

Charlie Darwin
05/02/2013, 6:14 PM
Four ex-League of Ireland players in the first team: Forde, McClean and the strikeforce, Long and Sammon. Seven former LOI players from the full 22-man squad.

DannyInvincible
05/02/2013, 6:47 PM
Of course, three of them former Derry City players. ;)

Charlie Darwin
05/02/2013, 7:00 PM
Of course, three of them former Derry City players. ;)
Two of them bought in :p

pineapple stu
05/02/2013, 7:09 PM
Sammon and Forde in the Ireland team. The two most over-rated players I ever saw in the LoI. Madness! :D

Sullivinho
05/02/2013, 7:51 PM
I have to say this whole rapid elevation of Sammon has me puzzled, whats he got that say Jon Daly of Dundee Utd hasn't got? Or Mason from Cardiff?

Fair play to him and all but I just don't get it.

That makes two of us. Possibly thousands.

My own attempts to rationalise it concluded that in Trap's mind, the new Caleb Folan has been discovered. Because the original ... joined a monastery? I have no idea but felt obliged to finish that sentence.

Wanted: A big, lumbering 'presence'. Must be in excess of 6ft in height, willing to receive the long ball and upset defenders.

And with that, a surprised and elated Conor was granted an interview for the job. And the unemployed everywhere gained a little bit of hope that maybe, just maybe, having your CV 'on file' somewhere isn't the pile of bõllocks they'd previously believed it to be.

Supreme feet
05/02/2013, 8:25 PM
Isn't there a cliché out there defining idiocy as the policy of doing the same thing, over and over again, and expecting different results?

Looks like we're sticking with 4-4-2 for Sweden and Austria then, which should pretty much guarantee defeats from the two games. No Hoolahan, no link between midfield and attack, just two isolated target men and an outnumbered midfield. Persisting with this formation was understandable when the point of it was to get the best out of Robbie Keane's ability in the six-yard box against weaker opposition, but it is suicide in this campaign. Euro 2012 illustrated how easily our 4-4-2 could be beaten by high-line pressing and simple maintenance of possession. Keane is playing at several levels beneath the preparation needed for European top-tier international football, and should not, by any objective analysis, start in Stockholm. Sammon is an awful choice, when the alternative would be to play our best attacking players - Hoolahan and Long - in their familiar club roles with a view to the future.

Cunningham is a plus, but expect Ward to usurp him for the bench in Stockholm, no matter how he performs. Brady and McClean could shine with a decent amount of possession and support, but 4-4-2 will relegate their role to that of auxiliary full-backs. Yet another opportunity wasted to develop and improve this team.

BonnieShels
05/02/2013, 8:43 PM
It defines insanity.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

This is a woeful combination of both. I'm fearful for Stockholm now.

geysir
05/02/2013, 9:18 PM
How tall is Sammon?

So far I've seen a range of figures, from a midget sized 178cm, to a respectable 191cm.

BonnieShels
05/02/2013, 9:20 PM
How tall is Sammon?

So far I've seen a range of figures, from a midget sized 178cm, to a respectable 191cm.

Depends on the heels.

Charlie Darwin
05/02/2013, 9:26 PM
It defines insanity.

This is a woeful combination of both. I'm fearful for Stockholm now.
It wasn't Einstein, it was just some guy. Still makes sense though.

mark12345
05/02/2013, 9:38 PM
Isn't there a cliché out there defining idiocy as the policy of doing the same thing, over and over again, and expecting different results?

Looks like we're sticking with 4-4-2 for Sweden and Austria then, which should pretty much guarantee defeats from the two games. No Hoolahan, no link between midfield and attack, just two isolated target men and an outnumbered midfield. Persisting with this formation was understandable when the point of it was to get the best out of Robbie Keane's ability in the six-yard box against weaker opposition, but it is suicide in this campaign. Euro 2012 illustrated how easily our 4-4-2 could be beaten by high-line pressing and simple maintenance of possession. Keane is playing at several levels beneath the preparation needed for European top-tier international football, and should not, by any objective analysis, start in Stockholm. Sammon is an awful choice, when the alternative would be to play our best attacking players - Hoolahan and Long - in their familiar club roles with a view to the future.

Cunningham is a plus, but expect Ward to usurp him for the bench in Stockholm, no matter how he performs. Brady and McClean could shine with a decent amount of possession and support, but 4-4-2 will relegate their role to that of auxiliary full-backs. Yet another opportunity wasted to develop and improve this team.

Agree completely with this assessment. I'm glad for Sammon and would like to see him do well and I think at least we'll get some indication of his worth at international level. But the team as a whole. You've got to be kidding me Trap. McShane is in and no place for a certain right full back now playing for West Ham. I mean you know at this stage that McShane comes to the table without a knife and fork. And Whelan is persisted with again, even though you've seen him fail and fail yet again? What are you thinking? No place for one of the Premier League's top performers (Hoolohan) while Whelan remains in the team. And Green is back. You can sort of see why Gibson doesn't want any part of Trap.

Trap has made his bed (and if I'm honest I'm excited by the young lads he's giving a chance on Wednesday), but with a view towards Sweden and Austria he has lost the plot completely.

Prediction - we won't beat Poland. And we'll lose to both Sweden and Austria and Trap will be on his bike.

Crosby87
05/02/2013, 10:24 PM
How tall is Sammon?

Team lists him at 1.88, or 6'2" for the ex-pats. I would include a picture but apparently Nigel takes my picture posting way too seriously.

Charlie Darwin
05/02/2013, 10:28 PM
Team lists him at 1.88, or 6'2" for the ex-pats. I would include a picture but apparently Nigel takes my picture posting way too seriously.
You can post a picture as long as he's got his top on.

nigel-harps1954
05/02/2013, 10:41 PM
You can post a picture as long as he's got his top on.

And nobody talks about the colour of his boots, or how he has his hair done, or how he looks strikingly similar to a fish.

Crosby87
05/02/2013, 11:13 PM
Maybe you are the only one that notices or thinks of how he has his hair done? You know how they say the one against it is often the closeted one?
But I digress.

nigel-harps1954
05/02/2013, 11:47 PM
Maybe you are the only one that notices or thinks of how he has his hair done? You know how they say the one against it is often the closeted one?
But I digress.

And who are they? The Wizards?

Crosby87
05/02/2013, 11:48 PM
I meant they, sorry, internet police!

bishbash
06/02/2013, 12:17 AM
Joey O'Brien surely feels hard done by. Is there anyone apart from The management and the man himself who believes that McShane has something to offer? It's 4-4-2 till death then I presume, which is probably gonna come sooner as a result. He's been to see Hoolahan, he played off the front man, played really well in that position so lets play him as a winger. Genius.

geysir
06/02/2013, 7:37 AM
Derby have him at 1.80cm.
I don't trust Trap's virtual measurement of a player's height. There was some full back who he justified playing over another, because he had a height advantage. The height advantage boiled down to a hair cut.
Anyway, we'll see how Sammon does on the pitch. I was (mildly) impressed with him in his appearances for Wigan, I suppose mainly because he didn't fall over himself and had a bit of skill.
But like others, I'm not impressed with Trap reverting to type, after the 2nd half against Faroes and the difference Hoolahan made to the team in his first real appearance for us. Unless he has a perfect ballplayer in midfield and the perfect lone striker, he's afraid to try and retune his fallible system.

Bungle
06/02/2013, 8:09 AM
Joey O'Brien surely feels hard done by. Is there anyone apart from The management and the man himself who believes that McShane has something to offer? It's 4-4-2 till death then I presume, which is probably gonna come sooner as a result. He's been to see Hoolahan, he played off the front man, played really well in that position so lets play him as a winger. Genius.

I love Paul McShane's commitment to the team, but going on his form O'Brien is a very good premiership player and at 25/26 could be a regular for years to come. Surely with our next manager, Paul won't be anywhere near the starting x1. I'm happy with Cunningham on the other side, as it gives him a bit more experience and I'm happy to give Clark another cap in the centre, even if I am concerned about his form for Villa. Forde is a good choice as GK. Westwood has done nothing wrong for us, but it's good to give Forde some game time. I can't argue with the midfield. Would've liked to see Wessi play, but will be interested to see what Sammon brings to the table!!

Surely it's a no brainer that barring injurys, Wilson and O'Brien/Coleman will be our full backs for the games in March. Put JOS in with Dunney, Clarke or SSL.

ArdeeBhoy
06/02/2013, 8:24 AM

Yet another opportunity wasted to develop and improve this team.

Reasonable synopsis, but why are you (or anyone) surprised?

Though we probably won't lose both next games next month; we might even beat Osterreich, it's just delaying the inevitable...

We'd need more embarrassing results before Trap resigns, sadly.

DeLorean
06/02/2013, 8:46 AM
I actually thought Westwood was injured? He really should be starting if not given his club situation. He's an excellent keeper, I'd love to see him get away from Sunderland as unfortunately Mignolet is excellent as well.

the doc
06/02/2013, 9:34 AM
Well the team has been selected and match day is upon us.
Time to stop the moaning and back the BIG.

Plenty of time for the moaning feckers on here after the game to try and justify their opinions on the result, team, players, tactics, Mr Trappatoni, the price of Guinness, the euro, lack of jobs, investment, Giles, Humpty Dunphy, air fares, immigrantion, twitter, Budget Airlines, World Cup Qualifiers, Hotels in Brazil and Euro 2012 just to name but a few!

Charlie Darwin
06/02/2013, 9:39 AM
You're a bit mad, aren't you Sean?

p2011
06/02/2013, 11:17 AM
Time to stop the moaning and back the BIG.

Maybe we are moaning precisely BECAUSE we back the BIG....

Crosby87
06/02/2013, 11:22 AM
Predictions?
3-2 Polska
Trap's post match quotes: "We learn lot. Some, they move a faster. Some have play good. we get it fix."

DeLorean
06/02/2013, 11:45 AM
2-0
(Long Sammon)

http://www.sustainableguernsey.info/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Atlantic-salmon-Fort-Hommet-110611-%C2%A9RLLord-8484-SGB-em.jpg