PDA

View Full Version : England V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 29th May 2013 - Friendly

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Charlie Darwin
28/05/2013, 12:43 AM
OK. Can I see it? I promise I won't show it to Stu or anybody else from UCD.

Noelys Guitar
28/05/2013, 12:46 AM
Where can we see this top ten, Noely?

I was being nice. If you include the 1970's/1980's the record is laughable. Top 16 at best

Charlie Darwin
28/05/2013, 12:48 AM
Hang on a second, you were on base ten a second ago, now you've reverted to base eight. What the hell is going on?

Charlie Darwin
28/05/2013, 12:49 AM
Wait a minute, Top 10. Is that binary?

Noelys Guitar
28/05/2013, 12:57 AM
OK Did not qualify 72 and dismal Euro 74 Euros. Lest said about 76and 78 the better. Dismal 82 and 86 Maradona. 90 we were the better team. 92 Disaster. 94 Did not qualify. Im not going to go on.

Charlie Darwin
28/05/2013, 1:02 AM
OK Did not qualify 72 and dismal Euro 74 Euros. Lest said about 76and 78 the better. Dismal 82 and 86 Maradona. 90 we were the better team. 92 Disaster. 94 Did not qualify. Im not going to go on.
Well you said they've been out of The Top Ten since 1991. As far as I know, only 92 and 94 come after 91, but I'm open to correction. You say you're not going to go on but you've already gone on and on about irrelevant things and said basically nothing to back up your point, nor have you provided me with a link to The Top Ten even though I've promised not to show Pineapple Stu.

I'm not sure why you think we were better in 1990 anyway. Certainly there is nothing in the results achieved by other team to suggest we were.

Noelys Guitar
28/05/2013, 1:30 AM
I'll argue with you Tomorrow when I'm sober. But again I'm not convinced that the people I'm arguing with are genuine sorts. Convince me you have not profited from the Irish economic collapse. Then we will have a chat. Maybe even about England being 3rd in the world.

ArdeeBhoy
28/05/2013, 1:31 AM
1994 we were better!
;)

tricky_colour
28/05/2013, 2:34 AM
Wait a minute, Top 10. Is that binary?

My money is on a hexadecimal top 16.

If we used the Sexagesimal number system we would always be in the top 10 (most of the time).

Very popular with the Sumerian football team I hear, who were always in the top 10 in the area.

gastric
28/05/2013, 2:38 AM
Leave UCD alone, you jealous p###ks!

DeLorean
28/05/2013, 8:52 AM
Can't wait!

http://img.rasset.ie/000661ca-642.jpg

http://pogmogoal.com/wp-content/uploads/Niall_Quinn_1585147a.jpg

pineapple stu
28/05/2013, 8:56 AM
I'll argue with you Tomorrow when I'm sober. But again I'm not convinced that the people I'm arguing with are genuine sorts. Convince me you have not profited from the Irish economic collapse. Then we will have a chat. Maybe even about England being 3rd in the world.
Just wanted to quote this for posterity in case it gets deleted in a more sober moment tomorrow.

Anyways, I'm off to Wembley, so you can disclose your ranking without fear of me seeing it.

Stuttgart88
28/05/2013, 9:22 AM
It looks like Wilson is out, but Whelan will be fit.

Who will play left-back? O'Shea can play there, and McShane played there a lot at Hull last year. Stephen Kelly can play there too, and I'm not sure if Ward is in the squad - too lazy to check. I'm assuming he is. Darren O'Dea is also a candidate. Walcott could have a field day, having carte blanche to shoot in aimless balls all evening. :)

jbyrne
28/05/2013, 9:46 AM

Who will play left-back? O'Shea can play there, and McShane played there a lot at Hull last year. Stephen Kelly can play there too, and I'm not sure if Ward is in the squad - too lazy to check. I'm assuming he is. Darren O'Dea is also a candidate. Walcott could have a field day, having carte blanche to shoot in aimless balls all evening. :)

i dont think ward is in the squad. id say, and hope, it will be kelly if wilson doesnt make it

MeathDrog
28/05/2013, 9:57 AM
1-1 I'd say.

paul_oshea
28/05/2013, 10:03 AM
The group that attacked the Black Lion pub on Kilburn High Road pre the 91 game all associated with Birmingham City. A couple of hundred of them came out of the Bakerloo line station just off the high road and attacked a couple of pubs but the main attack was on the Black Lion. They got cornered up at the other end of Kilburn High Road (Waterloo line station?) mostly by old Irish day labourers and London/Irish heavies. Very few Irish football fans on the High Road that day.

Go on tell us more, did they get a good bayytin then?

peadar1987
28/05/2013, 10:14 AM
Am I the only one who likes England to do well, up until about the quarter finals?!! I'm trying to figure out if it's my cruel desire to see them lose dramatically on penalties or my desire for them to do reasonably well as a form of guilt for the fact that most English are sound and actually want us to do well :)

Perhaps? I've nothing much against the English as a people, but as a sporting nation... Their rugby team especially seems to be an awful pack of scrotes!

It's not just Irish people though, my Dad, born and raised in England, to English parents, still wants English teams to lose just as much as I do. Except the cricket team, he likes them!

DeLorean
28/05/2013, 10:14 AM

You wording suggests that the latter is good news.

Stuttgart88
28/05/2013, 10:23 AM
Not necessarily - it was neutral in its intent. More for info. Having said that, I think Trap might be less prepared to give Hoolahan an outing if Whelan wasn't there to do what Trap seems to appreciate.

paul_oshea
28/05/2013, 10:38 AM
Which is what stutts exactly? Walk around in a circle in a 10 metre radius halfway between the edge of the centre circle and the 18 yard line, passing the ball backwards?

I actually see what Noely is getting at to be honest. I'm sure as much as anything else, FIFA needs them in the top 10!

Paddy Garcia
28/05/2013, 10:50 AM

Who will play left-back? O'Shea can play there, and McShane played there a lot at Hull last year.

I don't think McShane can play left-back. Or anywhere across the back line.

Stuttgart88
28/05/2013, 10:56 AM
I think that's what Trap appreciates. I was careful not to say it's what I appreciate!

I think England have been more or less top ten, although more vulnerable than most of the big countries to being ambushed by a temporarily strong team from Europe, and quite reliable in being unable to get past a good team in the knockout rounds.

ArdeeBhoy
28/05/2013, 11:06 AM
The latest rumour on YBIG is the FA were having a moment's silence for that squaddie who was murdered last week. Can't see that ending well...or helping the general atmosphere if true.

paul_oshea
28/05/2013, 11:11 AM
Is anyone still annoyed at the Austria result? I feel if we draw or beat england i will be even more angry at that result.

Stuttgart88
28/05/2013, 11:17 AM
I'll always be annoyed by Austria. I reckon we'll go behind early to England and they'll all start laughing and get complacent before we take charge of the game in the second half and come away with yet another famous draw.

peadar1987
28/05/2013, 11:17 AM
The latest rumour on YBIG is the FA were having a moment's silence for that squaddie who was murdered last week. Can't see that ending well...or helping the general atmosphere if true.

Minutes' silence are very rarely observed any more at football matches, it's more likely to be a minute's applause, in which case people who disagree, or don't want to support it can do so by staying quiet and not disturbing people who do. Much better in my opinion.

DeLorean
28/05/2013, 11:18 AM
I think England have been more or less top ten, although more vulnerable than most of the big countries to being ambushed by a temporarily strong team from Europe, and quite reliable in being unable to get past a good team in the knockout rounds.

The only half arsed argument I could think of to exclude them from the top 10 would be:

They have only gone beyond the quarter finals of the European Championship once. Therefore they have only been in the top 8 in Europe generally over the last 20 years. Arguments could be made for Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Holland, Greece, Portugal and the Czechs all ranking higher (although possibly not on a consistent basis over the 20 years). Just say this leaves England ranking as No.8 of the Europeans. Now throw Brazil and Argentina into the mix and they might possibly drop to 11th.

I'd find it very difficult to justify ranking Greece and the Czechs higher over the period though really and possibly Argentina as well.

ArdeeBhoy
28/05/2013, 11:20 AM
Yeah, totally agreed Peadar.

DeLorean
28/05/2013, 11:23 AM
Is anyone still annoyed at the Austria result?

If anybody answers 'No' to this question you'd have to seriously question their commitment.

The only thing that could lessen the annoyance of that result would be to qualify, that still wouldn't eliminate it completely mind you!

BonnieShels
28/05/2013, 11:26 AM
English fans receive letter from Roy Hodgson today
Every England fan who has a ticket to the game against Republic of Ireland will today receive a letter from Roy Hodgson asking them to refrain from offensive chanting of a religious or political nature.

The last time England and Ireland met 18 years ago, the game had to be abandoned after 27 minutes due to rioting by England fans at Lansdowne Road.

The history between the two countries means there is potential for trouble and for offensive chanting such as the 'no surrender (to the IRA) song to take place, but the FA wants neither to occur tomorrow night.

It is therefore sending an emailed letter to every England fan who has a ticket to the match, requesting they do not chant songs which might cause offence.

The FAI are understood to support the FA's stance, but it is not expected to issue a similar statement to the 12,000 away fans expected at Wembley.

In the letter England manager Hodgson says: "Ahead of the Ireland fixture, on behalf of The FA, I would like to ask our supporters to please respect our opponents and welcome them in the right way.

"Wembley is considered the world over as the home of football and we ask those attending to not take part in any chanting - particularly of a religious or political perspective - which could cause offence to our visitors or fellow fans."

Hodgson will also ask England fans to refrain from such chants in his programme notes for the match, which is close to a 90,000 sell-out.

Another reason the FA took the action is because it received a letter from FIFA following England's friendly win in San Marino two months ago asking it to remind fans not to engage in offensive chanting.

It was reported at the time that England fans sang a song which suggested Rio and Anton Ferdinand should be burned on a bonfire.

It has been suggested the song that was reported to be heard had racist overtones because Anton Ferdinand was the target of racist abuse from former England captain John Terry. FIFA has since decided to take no action.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0528/453089-english-fans-receive-hodgson-letters-today/

BonnieShels
28/05/2013, 11:26 AM
If anybody answers 'No' to this question you'd have to seriously question their commitment.

The only thing that could lessen the annoyance of that result would be to qualify, that still wouldn't eliminate it completely mind you!

I blanked out the Austria result until everytime I saw Alaba on the ball on Saturday and I got sickened again and again.

It kills me still.

Grafter
28/05/2013, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=Stuttgart88;1688307 I reckon we'll go behind early to England and they'll all start laughing and get complacent before we take charge of the game in the second half and come away with yet another famous draw.[/QUOTE]

I think the English lads might not be as focused on the game with Brazil game in Rio coming next.... On Brazil-Eng, that John Barnes 1984 dribble must be the most overrated goal ever!

DeLorean
28/05/2013, 12:09 PM
I think the English lads might not be as focused on the game with Brazil game in Rio coming next.... On Brazil-Eng, that John Barnes 1984 dribble must be the most overrated goal ever!

Suppose it was more the fact that it was Brazil than anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0jdsPZmOWM

DeLorean
28/05/2013, 12:10 PM
Not a patch on this :) ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tarFsaOEzbw

geysir
28/05/2013, 12:35 PM
When it comes to England at the Finals, I expect them to go out, so I'm not that stressed about them not losing.
Somehow they have maintained a long term consistency to keep them seeded for qualification draws and high in the general rankings. Nevertheless, I wouldn't regard them as in the world's top 10 now and not since Sven's time. They didn't qualify for Euro 2008, were well beaten after the group stage in the last 2 finals and didn't impress (with a top 10 quality) in those Finals' group games. I wouldn't be that surprised if Montenegro get a result at Wembley.

Even if we do get a good result in this game, it will probably happen by doing something we don't do in the competitive games and it's not likely to lead to any change in the approach to the important autumn qualifiers.

EAFC_rdfl
28/05/2013, 3:05 PM
Must be some hangover :-) come on we are all waiting!!!

tetsujin1979
28/05/2013, 3:14 PM
team announced: https://twitter.com/FAIreland/statuses/339399223076347905

Trap's starting XI for #EngIrl tomorrow:
Forde, Coleman, O'Shea, St Ledger, Kelly, Walters, McCarthy, Whelan, McGeady, Keane, Long #COYBIG

Charlie Darwin
28/05/2013, 3:15 PM
Classic Trap.

paul_oshea
28/05/2013, 3:22 PM
But looks like England are going 4-4-2 as well. Two stalwarts of the 4-4-2 game.

But yes, definitely classic trap. We learn nothing, but at least against England where its a bit more important about getting a draw or a win. We can only hope that he changes it for the Georgia game, but I very much doubt it.

IsMiseSean
28/05/2013, 3:30 PM
Feckin Glenn Whelan :mad:

peadar1987
28/05/2013, 3:39 PM
Not the worst team he could have picked. Maybe I would have gone for Brady or McClean instead of Walters on the wing, and Gibson instead of Whelan, but personnel-wise, not too bad. Now let's just hope he lets them play football!

DannyInvincible
28/05/2013, 3:46 PM
Feckin Glenn Whelan :mad:

So long as fit, Whelan's place was never in doubt.

Not the worst team he could have picked. Maybe I would have gone for Brady or McClean instead of Walters on the wing, and Gibson instead of Whelan, but personnel-wise, not too bad. Now let's just hope he lets them play football!

Gibson's in Marbella enjoying his stag-do.

DeLorean
28/05/2013, 3:48 PM
Forde, Coleman, O'Shea, St Ledger, Kelly, Walters, McCarthy, Whelan, McGeady, Keane, Long

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67833000/jpg/_67833106_164005501.jpg

Stuttgart88
28/05/2013, 4:00 PM
At least we now know that when fit Keane is ahead of Sammon. And McGeady is ahead of McClean too. I expect similar to Stockholm, with Keane playing between the two lines. At least we'll be familiar with all of them. Long needs to keep his head.

ArdeeBhoy
28/05/2013, 4:26 PM
To be fair would expect RMK, or just about any other Keane who's eligible, to be ahead of Sammon.
Without revisiting the 'debate' about whether notable absentees, Best, Folan or half the LOI should be ahead of that donkey.

shakermaker1982
28/05/2013, 4:30 PM
The FA are giving us an Irish dancing show before the big game kicks off....ffs

Bar Whelan it's probably the best team we can put out given the circumstances.

England's pace is gonna be a problem...Walcott could have a field day out there. Need to keep it nice & tight for the first 45 so that the English fans get on there back a bit. If their tails are up at Wembley with an early goal it could be 4-0

DannyInvincible
28/05/2013, 4:36 PM
To be fair would expect RMK, or just about any other Keane who's eligible, to be ahead of Sammon.
Without revisiting the 'debate' about whether notable absentees, Best, Folan or half the LOI should be ahead of that donkey.

Ha, haven't been keeping tabs on Folan of late so just decided to check out what he's up to. He's now a free agent after his spell with T-Team in Malaysia. He failed to score in his ten appearances for them.

AlaskaFox
28/05/2013, 7:22 PM
Piece I did on how the 1995 violence could have been prevented. Chatted to Les Ferdinand about his recollections of the game:
http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/ireland/2013/05/28/4005398/what-the-hell-is-happening-how-the-potential-for-violence-at?ICID=HP_TS_3

tricky_colour
28/05/2013, 11:21 PM
1-1 I'd say.

6 out of the last 13 games have finished 1-1 which makes available odds of 9-1 look pretty good, indeed I just stuck £1 on just because of that.

But those results were over 20 years ago and no doubt Ireland were higher ranked (fifa ranking don't go back that far, last listed ranking is 6th!! in 1993.

Fixer82
28/05/2013, 11:26 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/england-v-republic-of-ireland-ashley-cole-to-captain-roy-hodgsons-team-at-wembley-in-celebration-of-100th-cap-8634968.html

Roy Hodgson called us one of the home nations.

That's it. IT'S ON!!!! :mad: