PDA

View Full Version : eMobile- too good to be true?

BonnieShels
15/01/2013, 4:00 PM
AS I've said in the Three thread I'm currently waged in a war with them over a bill and as a result they have suspended my service.

So I went and got me an O2 pre-pay sim and as a result I have a new number.

Now, the thing is, I was talking to someone the other day who said that they had this deal in eMobile where you got a Galaxy SIII for 100.00 and then Unlimited call, texts and internet for 32.00 p/m thereafter on a 30 day sim contract.

Now, I was super jealous but today I decided to have a look at their website.

http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/plans/postpay/detailsCallTextBrowse/?gid=48

I've looked over everything and I honestly can't see any major catches.
Obviously it would be nice to get a GSIII for 100.00 but besides that this seems like a dream deal.

I'm paying 29.99 on O2 prepay a month for unlimited texts and 30c calls and 700MB data which I'm flying through and annoyingly I have to turn off and on to allow me to have some data left!

Can anyone see anything glaringly obvious that I'm missing?

nigel-harps1954
15/01/2013, 4:16 PM
I see clever company. I see myself possibly moving there if that is true.

Lev Yashin
15/01/2013, 4:34 PM
I work with someone who got an iphone5 with them on that sort of plan with "unlimited" internet. He had the iphone a week or two and he recieved a text to tell him his internet data was almost used up for the month. So after speaking with customer service it turns out "unlimited" is 5gb.....

Not that much really...

BonnieShels
15/01/2013, 4:38 PM
I work with someone who got an iphone5 with them on that sort of plan with "unlimited" internet. He had the iphone a week or two and he recieved a text to tell him his internet data was almost used up for the month. So after speaking with customer service it turns out "unlimited" is 5gb.....

Not that much really...

Unlimited according to that plan is 15GB under fair usage. That's plenty.

I've never on all of my bills with Three or O2 in the past gone over 2GB and that's with normal usage.

Bar that, can ye see anything else? :)

dahamsta
15/01/2013, 4:42 PM
I moved to eMobile from a rolling contract with Meteor a while back, after moving there when O2 refused an upgrade after many years as a customer. Meteor's support was cat, if you didn't talk to them on Twitter you were wasting your time, and their Twitter support left a lot to be desired.

I was worried that eMobile would be much the same since they're both subsidiaries of Eircom, but I haven't had any major problems so far, and while their support is about average, it shines in comparison to Meteor.

Spend is around €35/month with eMobile, "unlimited" everything. I don't text and call a whole lot so I can't account for the veracity of "unlimited", but I use a lot of data and I haven't had any problems. It's a great deal for someone like me that doesn't want to have to think about all that nonsense.

EDIT: 2GB is relatively low these days BonnieShels, you're showing your age or your technophobia. :) Still, you'd want to be doing something retarded like torrenting to go over 15GB. There's plenty of 'tards out there though!

Wouldn't touch 3 with a barge pole. No way no how, never.

nigel-harps1954
15/01/2013, 4:58 PM
I was with Meteor Bill Pay for 18 months (delighted to have went back to pay as you go after it, bill pay meteor is a nightmare). All the while I had 2GB internet data free a month, used to spend many a day on the internet on my phone and I don't think I ever touched my limit.

5GB would be excellent. 15GB would be amazing.

Jofspring
15/01/2013, 7:38 PM
How do you get the Galaxy for 100 and then a 32euro bill? From what I can see the 32 a month is only if you are taking a sim only 30 day contract. Am I missing something?

BonnieShels
15/01/2013, 7:49 PM
The Galaxy S3 deal is over. I think it's a family and friends deal. I think the Sim only deal is the best I've come across.

I have an S2. So no biggy.

Adam, You've sold me dude. :-)

I always on WIFI in the apartment or in friends houses so I never use data in this instances. I think I'll sign up tomorrow. :-)

BonnieShels
16/01/2013, 9:13 AM
I moved to eMobile from a rolling contract with Meteor a while back, after moving there when O2 refused an upgrade after many years as a customer. Meteor's support was cat, if you didn't talk to them on Twitter you were wasting your time, and their Twitter support left a lot to be desired.

I was worried that eMobile would be much the same since they're both subsidiaries of Eircom, but I haven't had any major problems so far, and while their support is about average, it shines in comparison to Meteor.

Spend is around €35/month with eMobile, "unlimited" everything. I don't text and call a whole lot so I can't account for the veracity of "unlimited", but I use a lot of data and I haven't had any problems. It's a great deal for someone like me that doesn't want to have to think about all that nonsense.

EDIT: 2GB is relatively low these days BonnieShels, you're showing your age or your technophobia. :) Still, you'd want to be doing something retarded like torrenting to go over 15GB. There's plenty of 'tards out there though!

Wouldn't touch 3 with a barge pole. No way no how, never.

Is there any hidden crap?

I've gone through it again this morning and there's nothing I can see.

A face
16/01/2013, 11:30 PM
I moved to eMobile

Dahamsta, whats the name of that plan? And how long are you tied in for? Need to check how it pans out to other networks etc. ..... also, roaming, hows that? I hate going away and using my phone (sparingly, seriously conserving but using data to see where to eat etc. the odd time) and getting nailed with a bill on my return, brutal.

BonnieShels
16/01/2013, 11:38 PM
Dahamsta, whats the name of that plan? And how long are you tied in for? Need to check how it pans out to other networks etc. ..... also, roaming, hows that? I hate going away and using my phone (sparingly, seriously conserving but using data to see where to eat etc. the odd time) and getting nailed with a bill on my return, brutal.

It's the plan I linked to in the original post.

Re Roaming, Three have a thing called Three like home where you roam on their networks around the world and you are treated as if you're in Ireland. it's great when you're in Britain and using the net etc. only thing is they're a gash company any other time.

dahamsta
17/01/2013, 12:57 AM
Yup, Select Unlimited 18 months.

BonnieShels
17/01/2013, 7:54 AM
but you can get a 30 day notice contract if you order online. even better.

BonnieShels
24/01/2013, 3:33 PM
Finally gonna take the plunge with this. Wish me luck!

strangeirish
24/01/2013, 4:35 PM
Finally gonna take the plunge with this. Wish me luck!
It's a good deal, just watch out for the 450 euro 'upfront' charge when you sign up. It'll be charged to your card after 15 days from the date of activation.

BonnieShels
24/01/2013, 4:36 PM
It's a good deal, just watch out for the 450 euro 'upfront' charge when you sign up. It'll be charged to your card after 15 days from the date of activation.

Link...

I missed that.

strangeirish
24/01/2013, 4:40 PM
H (http://annakie.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10002/GOTCHA.gif)ere.

BonnieShels
24/01/2013, 4:45 PM
B4stardo!

BonnieShels
08/02/2013, 12:57 PM
So finally I made the move. Their customer service was a delight to deal with and they are based in Ireland. Also the porting process was painfree too. Just waiting on that to kick in before I get my eMobile on.

BonnieShels
06/11/2013, 12:21 PM
So 8 months down the line and I cannot fault eMobile. Never a problem with anything billwise included.

It's frankly bizarre given how gash Meteor and loathsome and gash Eircom are.

Having used every company in Ireland at this stage (except Vodafone and I'm scarred for life sence I left Eircell in 2001) they are easily the best of the lot.

Can't recommend them higher.

dahamsta
06/11/2013, 10:31 PM
I've been happy enough with them until recently, when I tried to find out when I was due an upgrade, and if they were going to get the red HTC One. It took a fortnight to get the info out of them, via two data protection requests, the former of which they couldn't validate. It reminded me very much of, well, every other mobile operator I've ever dealt with. I'll stick with them if they give me a decent upgrade, but if not I'll move on again.

Well done for updating the thread btw. Not many people bother.

ArdeeBhoy
06/11/2013, 10:36 PM
Who did E-Mobile evolve out of? Not Eircell?

O2 are mediocre btw. Usually.

dahamsta
07/11/2013, 1:31 AM
Eircell is Vodafone.

eMobile is a virtual network (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MVNO) that sits on top of Meteor, which was set up by Eircom when their no-compete with Vodafone expired. eMobile was added later to target Eircom customers, leaving Meteor to target the yoof market.

O2 have a good network - Tesco and 48 use it in a similar manner to eMobile - but I left them a few years ago because they refused an upgrade when my contract expired. I'm not a big spender. :)

BonnieShels
07/11/2013, 11:06 AM
I've been happy enough with them until recently, when I tried to find out when I was due an upgrade, and if they were going to get the red HTC One. It took a fortnight to get the info out of them, via two data protection requests, the former of which they couldn't validate. It reminded me very much of, well, every other mobile operator I've ever dealt with. I'll stick with them if they give me a decent upgrade, but if not I'll move on again.

Well done for updating the thread btw. Not many people bother.

No bother. I figured mentioning it in the Nexus thread I should at least mention my experience.

Customer retention with Irish Networks is abysmal. It's why I left O2. Useless. Their "offer" to me was worse than what Three offered at the same time to general folk and I asked could tehy at least match that and they said no.

Who did E-Mobile evolve out of? Not Eircell?

O2 are mediocre btw. Usually.

O2 have a decent network but they pee'd me off no end.

Vodafone<Vodafone-Eircell<Eircell

O2<Digifone<Esat Digifone

Meteor<N/A

Three<N/A

eMobile<N/A (Part of Eircom. A Mobile Virtual Network Operator [MVNO] that uses sister company Meteor’s network)

48<N/A (Part of Telefonica though independent of O2. An MVNO that uses sister company O2's network)

Tesco Mobile<N/A (50/50 owned by O2 and Tesco. An MVNO that uses sister company O2's network)

Lycamobile<N/A (An MVNO that uses O2's network)

Blueface<N/A (A business focussed MVNO that uses Three's "network")

Incidentally Three customers roam on O2's network where there is lack of coverage for Three.

Eircell is Vodafone.

eMobile is a virtual network (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MVNO) that sits on top of Meteor, which was set up by Eircom when their no-compete with Vodafone expired. eMobile was added later to target Eircom customers, leaving Meteor to target the yoof market.

O2 have a good network - Tesco and 48 use it in a similar manner to eMobile - but I left them a few years ago because they refused an upgrade when my contract expired. I'm not a big spender. :)

As above. Never knew about that non-compete clause. Cheers.

dahamsta
07/11/2013, 1:20 PM
Tesco Mobile<N/A (50/50 owned by O2 and Tesco. An MVNO that uses sister company O2's network)

Didn't know that O2 were a partner in Tesco. Is it via Liffey Telecom I wonder, or are they separate again? I know Liffey also enable at least one other MNVO.

As above. Never knew about that non-compete clause. Cheers.

It's an assumption, but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't one.

BonnieShels
07/11/2013, 1:41 PM
I would too. I never really considered it though when eMobile launched.

dahamsta
07/11/2013, 1:50 PM
It was Meteor I was talking about, there was a 2 year gap between Eircom's sale of Eircell to Vodafone, and the creation of Meteor. eMobile came later, as you know.

BonnieShels
07/11/2013, 2:03 PM
It was Meteor I was talking about, there was a 2 year gap between Eircom's sale of Eircell to Vodafone, and the creation of Meteor. eMobile came later, as you know.

Meteor was already in existence (since 2000). Eircom bought Meteor from Canwest I think it was.

EDIT: Western Wirelaess in fact. Canwest owned TV3.