15/09/2004, 10:12 PM
anyone with a good knowledge of the law,please help
trying to settle and arguement between friends:
if you are cought drinking in a public place, with cans,
by law are the gardi allowed to take all the cans off you
or just the open ones(i'm 18yrs old).thanks

joeSoap
16/09/2004, 8:03 AM
By-Laws for the Control of the Consumption & Possession of Intoxicating Liquor in Public Places
The Commissioners introduced by-laws to control drinking in public places and they came into effect on 7th April. There is an on-the-spot fine of £25 payable to the Commissioners and a fine of £500 on summary conviction. Several hundred fines have been issued by the Gardaí so far and most of them have been paid. Those which have not will be taken to court in the near future. It should be noted that an offence is committed where a group of persons are congregated together in a public place with alcohol and each member of the group is deemed to be culpable.

This says nothing about the confiscation of alcohol to me :confused:

cullenswood
17/09/2004, 8:38 AM
Me and a couple of mates were walking down a street in Ranelagh a few years ago drinking a can each. A cop came up to us and basically just made sure we were all over 18 and let us go on our with the cans. He said he had got a call saying there were "unruly buckos" walking around, but said we looked fine enough!

galwaygirl
17/09/2004, 9:42 AM
anyone with a good knowledge of the law,please help
trying to settle and arguement between friends:
if you are cought drinking in a public place, with cans,
by law are the gardi allowed to take all the cans off you
or just the open ones(i'm 18yrs old).thanks

Dont think they're allowed confiscate them UNLESS they get thirsty down in Mill Street, Galwayfrancis :D :D :D