PDA

View Full Version : 2013 African Nations Cup

culloty82
12/01/2013, 2:02 PM
Yes, it's only 12 months since the last one, but CAF are moving to odd-numbered years.

Group A:

South Africa
Morocco
Angola
Cape Verde

The hosts haven't actually qualified for a tournament in aeons, but home advantage should secure them a quarter-final berth. Morocco have a promising, young squad, but regularly flatter to deceive, while Angola have failed to build on their '06 success. Cape Verde are making their ANC debut, but knocked out Cameroon, so could well cause a shock.

Group B:

Ghana
Mali
Niger
DR Congo

After disappointment in Gabon, the Black Stars start as tournament favourites, and this group will hardly test them. Mali are regular semi-finalists, so should see off DR Congo, while Niger look out of their depth in this company.

Group C:

Zambia
Nigeria
Burkina Faso
Ethiopia

The holders will struggle to reach last year's heights, but will be formidable adversaries, and while Nigeria are much diminished from the era of Amokachi, Kanu, Okocha etc, the last eight will be a minimum target. Their West and East African opponents won't have the strength in depth to advance.

Group D:

Ivory Coast
Tunisia
Algeria
Togo

After flunking repeatedly when clear favourites, the pressure might perversely be off Cote d'Ivoire this time round, but they're highly unlikely to triumph at this stage, while Tunisia may make the last eight, but are unlikely to trouble the heavyweight contenders. Algeria and Togo will cause some upsets, but neither look qualifiers.

theworm2345
12/01/2013, 3:04 PM
The hosts haven't actually qualified for a tournament in aeons, but home advantage should secure them a quarter-final berth.
2008, wasn't it? Not sure about Cape Verde qualifying either.

After disappointment in Gabon, the Black Stars start as tournament favourites, and this group will hardly test them. Mali are regular semi-finalists, so should see off DR Congo, while Niger look out of their depth in this company.
I fancy DR Congo to

Group C:

Zambia
Nigeria
Burkina Faso
Ethiopia

Zambia have struggled in their friendlies preceding the Tournament, but I don't think Burkina Faso or Ethiopia are strong enough to bypass them.

NeverFeltBetter
12/01/2013, 3:53 PM
I think Cape Verde could really surprise people. Beating Cameroon was just the latest high point, they've been knocking on the door of qualification for a few years now. No one in their group is that special.

As for the tournament as a whole, I think Ghana will actually pull it off this time. Zambia strike me as one-timers and Cote d'Ivoire have proven again and again they don't have it in them.

NeverFeltBetter
19/01/2013, 5:05 PM
What a god awful game of football to start it off.

theworm2345
20/01/2013, 3:13 PM
What a god awful game of football to start it off.
Was only half paying attention with the Premier League matches on, but it seemed to be at least entertaining, chances at both ends.

Only had Ghana - Congo on for a few minutes but its already been pretty good. Mputu is a very good player and I've never understood how he didn't get a move to Europe (though there was the incident with the referees a year or two back that saw him banned).

IsMiseSean
21/01/2013, 3:39 PM
Them f**kin Vuvuzela's are back :mad:

culloty82
21/01/2013, 6:59 PM
Today's matches have raised the quality stakes - Ethiopia miss a penalty, get their keeper sent off for a hatchet job, go behind on the stroke of half-time, so of course they promptly notch a second-half leveller. Burkina Faso deny the Super Eagles by marking with literally the last kick of the game in the 94th minute. Can't see the DR Congo keeper's celebration catching on like the Poznan!

DannyInvincible
21/01/2013, 7:04 PM
Great finish to the Nigeria-Burkina Faso game. Nigeria have only themselves to blame after failing to kill the game off. The defending was really sloppy.

theworm2345
23/01/2013, 3:28 AM
Can't see the DR Congo keeper's celebration catching on like the Poznan!
In fairness his celebration isn't half as daft as the Poznan.

Was able to watch most of the Tournament last year, am disappointed to be missing this one due to having to work. Have enjoyed what I've seen so far though. I don't think Nigeria will do anything under Keshi, I remember him managing Mali and doing poorly (though he did manage that remarkable four goal comeback in the opener in 2010)

culloty82
23/01/2013, 7:30 PM
My Cape Verde tip still looks strong, you'd expect them to get a result off Angola, and SA will be going all out for the win against Morocco. Looking at the tournament as a whole, it seems very evenly-balanced, the only downside with that is that it's hard to see any of the sides making a major impact in Brazil next year.

theworm2345
25/01/2013, 3:24 PM
Zambia need to bring on Mbesuma, not sure the manager is a big fan of his though.

DannyInvincible
25/01/2013, 3:44 PM
Terrible decision to award a penalty for Zambia there. Was the alleged infringement even inside the box? Fair play to the keeper for stepping up, mind. Great penalty; as far away from the Nigerian keeper as it could have been.

culloty82
25/01/2013, 7:09 PM
Burkina Faso keeper sent off for handling outside the box, but his side wins 4-0, and go top with four points, with Nigeria and Zambia on two. So unless the champions win, they're facing group stage elimination.

theworm2345
27/01/2013, 5:48 PM
Goal Cape Verde! Great finish to this group. Your picks looking very good right now.

culloty82
27/01/2013, 6:59 PM
Up until half-time, was looking predictable enough, with both the hosts and Morocco qualifying, but first SA's equaliser and then Cape Verde's fightback keep things in the mix until the injury-time winner. A population of only 500,000 into the quarter-finals, would be like Connacht having its own national team, but they could hrdly play with such skill! Can't imagine Antunes will have to go back to air-traffic control when the tournament's over.

theworm2345
28/01/2013, 1:21 AM
Up until half-time, was looking predictable enough, with both the hosts and Morocco qualifying, but first SA's equaliser and then Cape Verde's fightback keep things in the mix until the injury-time winner. A population of only 500,000 into the quarter-finals, would be like Connacht having its own national team, but they could hrdly play with such skill! Can't imagine Antunes will have to go back to air-traffic control when the tournament's over.
Equatorial Guinea did qualify last time and I don't think their population was that much bigger than 500,000. Both relied heavily on foreign-born players as well, which seems to be getting more and more common in Africa.

culloty82
28/01/2013, 6:32 PM
Ghana and Mali both qualify from Group B, but Zambia and Tunisia have work to do to give me perfection.:)

BonnieShels
29/01/2013, 3:19 PM
Is it nearly over yet?

theworm2345
29/01/2013, 3:25 PM
Ghana and Mali both qualify from Group B, but Zambia and Tunisia have work to do to give me perfection.:)
Its a good thing betting is illegal here :D I suppose a goal either way could've seen Cape Verde out and DR Congo through though. I think Nigeria should beat Ethiopia today to qualify, no idea how Zambia and Burkina Faso will shape up after the past two matchdays...wish I could watch.

Is it nearly over yet?

Sorry, is the lack of daft fish/bread/Cox puns and utterly clueless gob****es in this thread too much for you? :p

culloty82
30/01/2013, 7:54 PM
So with Burkina and Togo both booking their berths, the knockout phase begins on Saturday:

South Africa v Mali:

In terms of squad quality, Mali should be clear favourites, with many of their squad playing in France and the Premier League, but the difference is far from overwhelming, so I fancy the hosts to rouse themselves to one last effort: 2-1 South Africa win.

Ghana v Cape Verde:

The debutantes have been the revelation of the tournament, with Platini and Mendes surely attracting scouting attention, but this is a far more testing step up in class than the Group A field, and defeat looks inevitable. 3-1 Ghana.

Burkina Faso v Togo:

Pretty much bonus territory for both teams, with Lorient's Alain Traore pitted against Adebayor and Womé. The Togolese were most unlucky not to draw with Ivory Coast and dominated their remaining group matches, so should ultimately advance: 2-1 Togo.

Ivory Coast v Nigeria:

Very much the marquee match of the last eight - Ivory Coast, as usual, have impressed in patches, but never totally dominated either Togo or Algeria. Still, the Super Eagles have been very patchy, labouring to draws and requiring a sending-off to overcome Ethiopia. The most likely match to go to penalties, but the Elephants should prevail. 2-1 Cote d'Ivoire AET.

culloty82
03/02/2013, 7:29 AM
Ghana laboured to a 1-0 victory over Cape Verde - the islanders had a number of excellent opportunities and should, perhaps, have secured a draw. South Africa had the best early on against Mali, but after Keita's equaliser, the game ground into stalemate, and woeful penalties from the hosts saw the West Africans march into the semis, not bad for a country wracked by civil war.

theworm2345
03/02/2013, 2:57 PM
Ghana laboured to a 1-0 victory over Cape Verde - the islanders had a number of excellent opportunities and should, perhaps, have secured a draw. South Africa had the best early on against Mali, but after Keita's equaliser, the game ground into stalemate, and woeful penalties from the hosts saw the West Africans march into the semis, not bad for a country wracked by civil war.
Ghana won 2-0. Nigeria currently beating Cote d'Ivoire which I think would be somewhat of a shock.

EDIT: Nigeria through to face Mali...that should be a very interesting match.

geysir
06/02/2013, 2:43 PM
Nigeria through to face Mali...that should be a very interesting match.
I thought so too but the reality is that its hard to credit that this is a semi final.
half time Mali 0 Nig 3

geysir
06/02/2013, 10:10 PM
That was some game between Ghana and Burkina Fasa.
Fortunately, considering they had a stonewall penalty refused and their best player sent off instead for diving, preceded by a disallowed goal for God knows what, BF prevailed in the end in the penalty shoot out, something not even the ref could thwart. It was thoroughly deserved.
I'll look forward to the final