PDA

View Full Version : Irish Supporters Club (Polish Branch)

culloty82
12/01/2013, 1:42 PM
It appears that as part of initiatives surrounding the Ireland v Poland match, the FAI plans to set up a branch of the Irish Supporters Club involving members of the Polish community (http://www.fai.ie/international/senior-men/102970-fai-announce-initiatives-for-poland-game.html). A few questions come to mind:

1. Is this five years too late?
2. How many Poles are likely to remain if, as seems highly probable the recession endures?

Of course, the experience of our own diaspora would suggest families are more likely to put down roots in their host country, so anything that widens exposure to the sport is welcome.

nigel-harps1954
12/01/2013, 5:44 PM
I think it's a silly idea. It's like me going to Poland and being told to support Poland now ahead of their upcoming match against Ireland.

Crosby87
12/01/2013, 8:39 PM
The shame of it is, they built that nice shiny stadium in Warsaw and they can't use it. Its all sight obstructed, Every seat is behind a pole.

And incidentally, know why you can't get ice over there? They forgot the recipe.

Yard of Pace
13/01/2013, 2:34 AM
Make it a Poland and Ireland supporter's club. My lad is Irish but with a Polish mother. There are 100s, probably 1000s of kids being born here with dual Polish/Irish nationality. Tis rare we'd ever be in the same group as them so make it for both.

ArdeeBhoy
13/01/2013, 10:19 AM
Aye, that sounds a more reasonable suggestion. Some will feel more Polish than Irish and vice versa.

Crosby87
13/01/2013, 12:27 PM
And also, the reason the Germans were able to take that country over so fast was becasue they marched in backwards! The Polish thought they were leaving! True Story!

Charlie Darwin
13/01/2013, 2:54 PM
And also, the reason the Germans were able to take that country over so fast was becasue they marched in backwards! The Polish thought they were leaving! True Story!
You realise we don't have Polish jokes in Ireland, right?

peadar1987
13/01/2013, 5:58 PM
You realise we don't have Polish jokes in Ireland, right?

Yeah, it's very poor form to make jokes about people from different countries.

People with ginger hair on the other hand...

Charlie Darwin
13/01/2013, 6:04 PM
Yeah, it's very poor form to make jokes about people from different countries.

People with ginger hair on the other hand...
No! I just mean people who aren't American generally won't really understand them.

ArdeeBhoy
13/01/2013, 6:20 PM
Too true. Aren't all our jokes about Cavan & Kerry people anyway...

peadar1987
13/01/2013, 6:24 PM
No! I just mean people who aren't American generally won't really understand them.

I've found Americans have a lot of ethnic jokes that go waaaaay over my head. It's quite hard figuring out which minority group is stupid, which one is bad at sports, which one installs sub-standard drywall and guttering...

Charlie Darwin
13/01/2013, 6:37 PM
Too true. Aren't all our jokes about Cavan & Kerry people anyway...
I honestly hadn't heard a Cavan joke until I started going out with a girl from up that way. She made a joke about them eating their dinner out a drawer and I was like "what?"

I've found Americans have a lot of ethnic jokes that go waaaaay over my head. It's quite hard figuring out which minority group is stupid, which one is bad at sports, which one installs sub-standard drywall and guttering...
Irish, Irish and Irish... am I right?

osarusan
14/01/2013, 9:19 AM
I'm pretty sure it's Mexicans who are bad at sports because everybody who can run, jump or swim is already in America.

Crosby87
14/01/2013, 11:37 AM
So then i wont even get into the submarine with the screen door or the solar powered flashlight.
I feel like David Letterman the time he hosted the Oscars. Crickets.

BonnieShels
15/01/2013, 9:38 AM
So then i wont even get into the submarine with the screen door or the solar powered flashlight.
I feel like David Letterman the time he hosted the Oscars. Crickets.

...or the inflatable dart board or the water-proof tea bag or the glass hammer or the long stand... all great inventions from Kerry.

youngirish
15/01/2013, 11:44 AM
I didn't think it was possible for an American's sense of humour to go over anyone's head with the exception of maybe another American. Their humour is usually about as evolved as Wayne Rooney and as sophisticated as Katie Price. It generally involves people smacking each other and then falling over - oh how I laughed when I lived there. Their comedy reminded me of sitting in the pub in Dublin in the 1930s again.

BonnieShels
15/01/2013, 11:46 AM
[scene missing]

Crosby87
15/01/2013, 11:49 AM
Yeah like legendary fisherman Bill Dance's unintentional humor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLsOXDzF3pw

youngirish
15/01/2013, 11:54 AM
I like this better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLTnacYvvg4

nigel-harps1954
15/01/2013, 3:55 PM
Christ....I hate how Americans have to make everything about themselves..

Charlie Darwin
16/01/2013, 1:11 PM
I didn't think it was possible for an American's sense of humour to go over anyone's head with the exception of maybe another American. Their humour is usually about as evolved as Wayne Rooney and as sophisticated as Katie Price. It generally involves people smacking each other and then falling over - oh how I laughed when I lived there. Their comedy reminded me of sitting in the pub in Dublin in the 1930s again.
God I used to hate sitting in the pub in Dublin in the 1930s. Good riddance to those days.

peadar1987
16/01/2013, 1:26 PM
God I used to hate sitting in the pub in Dublin in the 1930s. Good riddance to those days.

I'm going out to sit in the pub in Dublin in the 1930s tonight, you should come.

BonnieShels
16/01/2013, 1:31 PM
I'm going out to sit in the pub in Dublin in the 1930s tonight, you should come.

Is half seven not a bit early to start a night out?

youngirish
19/01/2013, 11:36 PM

They were good times, good times. When men were men and women could be bet for not having the dinner ready when you got home from the pub. When we had a real recession to talk about not this mickey mouse one you hear about these days. Good days but alas no more bar the slapstick sense of humour which I see our American cousins still hang onto.

ArdeeBhoy
20/01/2013, 1:48 AM
I can see now why everyone felt obliged to emigrate...
:rolleyes: