PDA

View Full Version : Gaa 2013

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

BonnieShels
10/01/2013, 5:36 PM
So it's back with a bang with my ancestral home beating the best team in the land on Wednesday night.

I know there were games last weekend... :P

The league won't come quick enough for me.

I'm gonna go with a Donegal win in Football and Galway in Hurling.

I'll re-evaluate this after league. :)

Any thoughts?

nigel-harps1954
10/01/2013, 6:29 PM
Kilkenny hurling. Donegal to fail in the football this year. McGuinness will walk halfway through the season because of work constraints. I'd fancy Mayo to nick it this year.

swinfordfc
11/01/2013, 2:29 PM
Kerry and Kilkenny

BonnieShels
15/01/2013, 10:52 AM
Kilkenny hurling. Donegal to fail in the football this year. McGuinness will walk halfway through the season because of work constraints. I'd fancy Mayo to nick it this year.

McKenna not working out this year.

Though. It's the league that matters. Still think they'll do it.

nigel-harps1954
15/01/2013, 3:47 PM
McKenna not working out this year.

Though. It's the league that matters. Still think they'll do it.

In the two games Donegal have played, there has been only one player from the All-Ireland winning team involved and that was Paul Durkan in the opening game.

It has been all the fringe players from last years team, and a load of under 21's getting a bit of game time.

BonnieShels
15/01/2013, 4:07 PM
In the two games Donegal have played, there has been only one player from the All-Ireland winning team involved and that was Paul Durkan in the opening game.

It has been all the fringe players from last years team, and a load of under 21's getting a bit of game time.

Ach I know.

Jimmy doesn't give a crap about this competition. Sure I think I did a dissemination on Donegal's season in 2012 somewhere here.

It seems I did...

http://foot.ie/threads/166745-Gaa-2012/page3

What a prophetic page of chat!

BonnieShels
29/01/2013, 9:27 AM
So Galway football and hurling are back together at last.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056455379&page=41

https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/94cfde2c925bcc00e96be9bbefaca011?s=400&d=https://a248.e.akamai.net/assets.github.com%2Fimages%2Fgravatars%2Fgravatar-user-420.png

Lim till i die
29/01/2013, 3:45 PM
That Down kit is the worst thing I've ever seen.

And I've seen a dead body.

BonnieShels
29/01/2013, 10:47 PM
No... no it's not...

this is worse...

http://m1.dmlimg.com/Y2MxMDgxYWJjODg2NjM3ZTM1OWY3YmI0ZTkwOTQyZjLFEBD5f_ GjQkjEEBk0HdIfaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNjI3 MWNjYzMzZWM4Y2VhOTE2NTk5ZDRiM2ZjZmZlNjBmNWY0YWZlYW Y0ODkwYzViODJhNTFmY2I4OGJiOGQ5Ni5qcGd8fDUyNXx8fHx8 aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybW Fyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMv aS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpg

as is this...

http://www.thegaastore.com/Images/Models/Full/1635.jpg

I don't understand Down changing from their last 2, they were classics.

geysir
30/01/2013, 10:11 AM
Ach I know.

Jimmy doesn't give a crap about this competition. Sure I think I did a dissemination on Donegal's season in 2012 somewhere here.

It seems I did...

http://foot.ie/threads/166745-Gaa-2012/page3

What a prophetic page of chat!
The best line you wrote there was "Spot on". :D

osarusan
30/01/2013, 10:21 AM
http://www.joe.ie/home/pic-of-the-day/a-brilliant-picture-from-last-nights-gaa-exhibition-during-a-la-liga-game-0033384-1

Kind of cool story.

BonnieShels
30/01/2013, 10:47 AM
The lads were on Off the Ball last week. Completely forgot about it. I love when GAA is showcased around the world.

@ geysir... shaddup!

geysir
30/01/2013, 11:30 AM
Monaghan GAA jersey for 2013

http://www.oneills.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x/7bc563c4a34b97d9c7fba60d6553fdd2/M/o/Monaghan-ladies-suporters-jersey-1_1.jpg

BonnieShels
30/01/2013, 12:03 PM
Seems to be a bit of a theme amongst the counties. I can see colour clashes galore occuring.

http://www.oneills.com/gift-ideas/pink-jerseys.html

geysir
30/01/2013, 12:12 PM
On the field of play, the ladies don the county colours and club colours when playing for club.

BonnieShels
04/02/2013, 4:03 PM
So... after that weekend of football have we learned anything? Cork were pure gash on Saturday night. Worst I've seen them play in a long time. We didn't get out of second gear. It was remarkable.

As for Kildare and Donegal; whilst Donegal aren't still up to speed, it still took Kildare a while to finish them off. It's still ominous for the rest of us.

Still think it's between Dublin and Donegal for the Championship with Kildare and Mayo and Cork bringing in the rest.

Can't wait.

DeLorean
05/02/2013, 11:34 AM
It took Dublin long enough to finish Cork off too, despite being far better. Colm O'Neill's goal chance would have brought it back to one if memory serves, not too long from the end. The penny has finally dropped for Counihan though it would seem, as he swayed from his normal 'let's win everything' approach and gave plenty of debuts. You're better off losing and finding one player than winning and learning nothing this time of the year. That player, on Saturday night's evidence, would appear to be John O'Rourke. Unfortunately it is backs that we are in more urgent need of replacing but it's good to have options everywhere.

In terms of securing Division One status and maybe making a push for the semi final spots, next weekend is already pretty big for ourselves and Kerry. I'd say Counihan would still love to make a push for that 4 in-a-row.

Predictions for the year:

Football: Fairly open but Dublin seem to have most talent coming through.

Hurling: Kilkenny (probably at a canter) :sleeping:

Tuckers Bike
05/02/2013, 11:07 PM
Whats going on in Donegal no win since Jim went to Celtic?

nigel-harps1954
06/02/2013, 4:01 PM
Whats going on in Donegal no win since Jim went to Celtic?

1st game for the All-Ireland winning team was against Kildare. No biggie.

geysir
07/02/2013, 11:13 AM
So... after that weekend of football have we learned anything?
We learned that Meath will be a div 3 team for another year, at least.

Cork were pure gash on Saturday night. Worst I've seen them play in a long time. We didn't get out of second gear. It was remarkable.

As for Kildare and Donegal; whilst Donegal aren't still up to speed, it still took Kildare a while to finish them off. It's still ominous for the rest of us.

Still think it's between Dublin and Donegal for the Championship with Kildare and Mayo and Cork bringing in the rest.

Can't wait.
The AIF will be early this year, Tyrone v Donegal in the 1st round of the USFC :)
I suspect Mickey Harte is gathering all his armoury for this one and plotting Donegal's demise. Tyrone have hit the ground running, have Sean Cavanagh back and O'Neill on form. Regardless of how that game goes for Tyrone, they will make progress but Donegal I suspect will have to beat Tyrone to get their season going. So far we have seen nothing from Donegal to indicate they can repeat last year's triumph. Instead we have many precedents of where (outsider) teams fall off the pace after an AI victory.
Mayo are interesting, I don't know where they are at, as regards panel and manager, but semi finalists in 2011, finalists in 2012 indicates an upward graph.

Real ale Madrid
07/02/2013, 1:43 PM
Mickey Harte is a busted flush when it comes to inter-co management - Tyrone are on a downward spiral in the last 3 or 4 years. Nobody fears them anymore.

Aside from that id be wary of reading too much into 1 week. I would agree that Mayo have as good a chance as any of winning the AI, and this year may be thier best chance ever of breaking that duck.

Ta Tubs, Kerry, Cork and Donegal will all be there or thereabouts - although as a Corkman I'm sorry to say I can't see us winning another AI under Counihan. Hard to see a team emerging from the pack so to speak.

swinfordfc
07/02/2013, 2:51 PM
We learned that Meath will be a div 3 team for another year, at least.

The AIF will be early this year, Tyrone v Donegal in the 1st round of the USFC :)
I suspect Mickey Harte is gathering all his armoury for this one and plotting Donegal's demise. Tyrone have hit the ground running, have Sean Cavanagh back and O'Neill on form. Regardless of how that game goes for Tyrone, they will make progress but Donegal I suspect will have to beat Tyrone to get their season going. So far we have seen nothing from Donegal to indicate they can repeat last year's triumph. Instead we have many precedents of where (outsider) teams fall off the pace after an AI victory.
Mayo are interesting, I don't know where they are at, as regards panel and manager, but semi finalists in 2011, finalists in 2012 indicates an upward graph.

Mayo have same manager as last year (dont know how you dont know that) and the panel will be the same - cant see them near the semi's this year ......

geysir
07/02/2013, 5:19 PM
How would I not know Mayo have the same manager? because I haven't spent one second thinking about Mayo football since last year's AIF.
Now I'm beginning the thinking process in 2013 with a lot of unknowns, especially around Mayo football :)

With the same panel and same manager, Mayo should walk Connacht this year, followed by a quarter final victory against some team, then they are into the semi finals. It's not that difficult is it? Certainly doable for Mayo.

geysir
07/02/2013, 5:28 PM
Mickey Harte is a busted flush when it comes to inter-co management - Tyrone are on a downward spiral in the last 3 or 4 years. Nobody fears them anymore.
Mickey Harte has been written off with a regularity, since Tyrone got beaten by Laois in 2006.
Last 2 years they have been a busted flush.
They don't look a busted flush this year and they have always had a super underage set up there.
The last 2 times in the championship, Donegal toyed with them. This first game in the USFC between them will tell a lot about both teams.
If Tyrone get beaten, I suspect Harte will retire, that's how big this game is.

Real ale Madrid
08/02/2013, 12:31 PM
If Tyrone get beaten, I suspect Harte will retire, that's how big this game is.

Given that the loser of this game should (probably) get a few handy qualifiers - i don't see the massive significance of it - no doubt Tyrone will fancy thier chances so early in the season - but I expect they will be found wanting after or on the Aug Bank holiday weekend when the ch'ship really starts.

DeLorean
08/02/2013, 1:20 PM
Mayo should walk Connacht this year

Their first game is against Galway in Pearse Stadium, a venue when they have an awful record if I'm not mistaken. Michael Meehan is back and playing well for Galway which is massive, as good as any player in the country in my opinion.

Tyrone are rebuilding so it's hard to know exactly where they're at. They were riddled with injuries last year so we didn't learn an awful lot about them, better luck to them this year. Either way, I wouldn't see them a realistic contenders for Sam just yet, but could win Ulster alright.

geysir
08/02/2013, 7:12 PM
Tyrone have Sean Cavanagh back and if reports are to be believed he's better than ever, that means best (not one of the best) player in the country standard. Justin McMahon is also back.
The other injured players returning are 3 forwards and with Stephen O'Neill they have 4 class forwards available to chose 3 from.
They have a serious looking squad and at 20/1 (last time I looked), would be the best bet going.
Donegal will be the same as last year, Tyrone already have the game won if you just consider how much stronger their team/squad is. The main problem for Harte will be deciding on his best 15.

BonnieShels
11/02/2013, 8:48 AM
Anyway...

Go wan geysir. Glad to see another Tyrone fanboy in here.

Roll on the 16th March. Dungannon lads in tooowwwwwnnnnnnnn!

So the evaluation of League Round 2?

I have to say on hearing the result from Killarney I had moreorless forgotten about the trash that was on show in Lansdowne.

And a great result for Geezer too against the Langers.

Real ale Madrid
11/02/2013, 9:11 AM
And a great result for Geezer too against the Langers.

Speaking of Busted Flushes at inter-co management - here is another one. Another team with a good squad going nowhere fast

It will be a Kildare v Tyrone AI final now after my comments on this thread.

Didn't see any football yesterday but there is something worrying about the lack of depth in the Kerry panel . 1-5 against Mayo and then 0-04 at home against Ta Tubs? Shocking. The loser of Cork v Kerry on the 24th of March is probably nailed on to get relegated at this stage - although the way Cork have played the first two weeks I doubt if Counihan cares weather they do or not.

geysir
11/02/2013, 9:40 AM
Anyway...

Go wan geysir. Glad to see another Tyrone fanboy in here.

Roll on the 16th March. Dungannon lads in tooowwwwwnnnnnnnn!
Actually I hate every inch of these cavemen Tyronies and despise their hairy women but I don't let that blind me to the obvious footballing qualities.
Very few things in sport have given me more pleasure than the one or two times Monaghan managed to give them a thumping, like the time we kicked them through the trap door to Div 2 a couple of years ago, which had Mickey Harte moaning about the (curious) relegation criteria. Beating Tyrone is marginally more pleasurable than beating the whiny Dubs, thats how good it feels :)

So the evaluation of League Round 2?
Well it's obvious, isn't it? The Tyrone hordes are on the march.

BonnieShels
11/02/2013, 10:43 AM
Actually I hate every inch of these cavemen Tyronies and despise their hairy women but I don't let that blind me to the obvious footballing qualities.
Very few things in sport have given me more pleasure than the one or two times Monaghan managed to give them a thumping, like the time we kicked them through the trap door to Div 2 a couple of years ago, which had Mickey Harte moaning about the (curious) relegation criteria. Beating Tyrone is marginally more pleasurable than beating the whiny Dubs, thats how good it feels :)

Well it was our victory over them in Healy Park on my birthday that relegated them. I still haven't lived it down with my ex for standing there with my Dublin jersey on supporting Tyrone. We couldn't get into the League final on head to heads so it would have been a nothing victory for us. On the other hand I wanted Tyrone to stay up because there is nothing like a Dublin-Tyrone match.

Well it's obvious, isn't it? The Tyrone hordes are on the march.

And a blessed sight that is.

geysir
11/02/2013, 11:26 AM
Well it was our victory over them in Healy Park on my birthday that relegated them. I still haven't lived it down with my ex for standing there with my Dublin jersey on supporting Tyrone. We couldn't get into the League final on head to heads so it would have been a nothing victory for us. On the other hand I wanted Tyrone to stay up because there is nothing like a Dublin-Tyrone match.

Sorry Bonnie, Dublin beating Tyrone was incidental, of minor importance in the scheme of things, the relegation scrap happened earlier that year in Inniskeen.
And afair the Dubs got careless in the 2nd half, letting Tyrone rack up a few scores with a glimmer of a chance of getting off the relegation hook.

culloty82
11/02/2013, 11:30 AM
Speaking of Busted Flushes at inter-co management - here is another one. Another team with a good squad going nowhere fast

It will be a Kildare v Tyrone AI final now after my comments on this thread.

Didn't see any football yesterday but there is something worrying about the lack of depth in the Kerry panel . 1-5 against Mayo and then 0-04 at home against Ta Tubs? Shocking. The loser of Cork v Kerry on the 24th of March is probably nailed on to get relegated at this stage - although the way Cork have played the first two weeks I doubt if Counihan cares weather they do or not.

Was in Killarney yesterday, and apart from the lack of strength in depth, what was equally worrying was the abysmal quality of Kerry's football - too much lateral movement to virtually no effect, inadequacy in the most basic skills such as lifting the ball and the high passing and distribution was woeful. Still, Down look nailed-on for the drop, and once the Crokes contingent return, we should grind out the three wins necessary to survive, but the last eight looks the height of our championship ambitions for 2013.

BonnieShels
11/02/2013, 12:08 PM
Sorry Bonnie, Dublin beating Tyrone was incidental, of minor importance in the scheme of things, the relegation scrap happened earlier that year in Inniskeen.
And afair the Dubs got careless in the 2nd half, letting Tyrone rack up a few scores with a glimmer of a chance of getting off the relegation hook.

Their relegation wasn't confirmed until that final whistle went in Omagh. And as they made a better stab of it in the second half it didn't look certain that they'd lose. So I'm taking the credit that we relegated them. :P

The fact that we required a Cork victory that day and that a Cork victory meant that they'd play us and not the bottlers in the final seemed to make us lose concentration and just wish for the day to be over knowing that they'd almost "let" Mayo win.

BonnieShels
02/03/2013, 12:33 PM
I have woken up with this feeling that we are going to run riot against the Bottlers tonight. Uh oh.

swinfordfc
02/03/2013, 5:48 PM
When it matters the last 2 times in the championship ..... which teams bottled!!!!! ;)

BonnieShels
02/03/2013, 8:30 PM
Ye did. In the final. Both times.

It was just a feeling I had when I got up this morning.

Ye are turning into an awfully cynical outfit. Terrible to watch.

Brogan was pure class tonight.

swinfordfc
02/03/2013, 9:48 PM
When it matters the last 2 times in the championship ..... which teams bottled!!!!! ;)

I was on about when Dublin played Mayo in the championship!!!!!

Now go on and win the League and listen to the all the crap for the summer then ...... greatest this and that etc :)

culloty82
03/03/2013, 7:19 PM
For the first time this year, Kerry actually managed to play some football, even if they squandered too many chances and only really got going when the horse was halfway back to Tralee. Still, Buckley and Lyne showed that they will be names to watch, and there was more general cohesion between midfield and the forward line. Six points looks like being the target required to avoid the drop, so while home wins against Down and Cork are essential, Kerry will somehow need to come out of either Ballybofey or Omagh with two points also.

BonnieShels
03/03/2013, 7:35 PM
I was on about when Dublin played Mayo in the championship!!!!!

Now go on and win the League and listen to the all the crap for the summer then ...... greatest this and that etc :)

I know you were. And the simple fact is ye raised yer games, as per, for us.

I don't know why people have a problem with Dublin being hyped, It's inevitable, the only thing is, the last few seasons it has been warranted and this year if anything from what I've watched of everybody in the League so far we are probably favourites for the All-Ireland at the moment.

Things will change but we have been good.

geysir
04/03/2013, 4:36 PM
I know you were. And the simple fact is ye raised yer games, as per, for us.

It's as usual for the Dubs, 'everybody hates us so much, that they raise their game'.

BonnieShels
04/03/2013, 4:45 PM
It's as usual for the Dubs, 'everybody hates us so much, that they raise their game'.

Not at all. Stop defending your Western brethern.

As night follows day Mayo will raise their game for Dublin. Always have. Always will... ad infinitum. To say otherwise is rather idiotic when the world and its mother know it to be true.

The capitulation in games after beating Dublin seems to indicate it to be so. :)

Real ale Madrid
05/03/2013, 7:20 AM
Always have. Always will... ad infinitum. To say otherwise is rather idiotic when the world and its mother know it to be true.

No they don't - Mayo played no better or no worse in the SF last year than they did in the QF or SF the year before - I certainly don't think they bottled the AI final last year either - just beaten by a team that had beaten Tyrone, Cork and Kerry before that. A better team. Beaten by a better team - same thing that happened to Dublin the semi final.

As for the league this year - Dublin, Tyrone and Kildare look to have semi final spots wrapped up already. Mayo or Donegal to join them I reckon, loser of Cork / Kerry game to join Down in Div2 next year - although Cork have winnable home games against Donegal and Mayo still to come so they could lose in Tralee and still end up on 6 points. Big improvement still required by all accounts , the win at the weekend against Down was highly fortunate.

BonnieShels
05/03/2013, 8:49 AM
I completely disagree. They were in the AI final and couldn't seem to raise their game when it seemed to be ebbing away.

They had that spurt in the second half but by that stage it was over. Do you think that they would have stemmed the early Donegal tide if they raised their game as if playing Dublin? I think so.

geysir
07/03/2013, 8:41 PM
Mayo conceded 2 goals early on and still managed to give Donegal their toughest game, they were worthy finalists and performed with distinction in the final.
Dubs are always mouthing off, worst losers in GAA land :)

micls
08/03/2013, 2:24 AM
On the other side of the world, we look forward to the South Asian Games in Singapore in May and the Asian Gaelic Games in Malaysia in October.

We may only play 7 minutes a half, and 9 a side, but it counts :D

BonnieShels
08/03/2013, 7:10 AM
Mayo conceded 2 goals early on and still managed to give Donegal their toughest game, they were worthy finalists and performed with distinction in the final.
Dubs are always mouthing off, worst losers in GAA land :)

Too little too late... I don't even think we're near the worst losers. That's easily the Kingdom or the Royals.

geysir
08/03/2013, 9:22 PM
Dublin v Kildare on Sunday, the ugly animal derby:)

http://img.rasset.ie/000574fc-642.jpg

BonnieShels
09/03/2013, 2:15 AM
Eh... get it right... It's Kildare v Dublin...

;-)

I can't wait. Both are playing great ball this spring.

BonnieShels
14/03/2013, 6:29 PM
Eh... get it right... It's Kildare v Dublin...

;-)

I can't wait. Both are playing great ball this spring.

Wow. Wrong was I! :)